Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply (24921 Views)

After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School / My Boss Asked Security To Throw Me Out Because I Asked For My Money / Can You Ask Your Boss; "How Are You"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by dickt(m): 2:16pm On Jun 01, 2017
freebreezeyz:
In as much as I would totally agree as regards the comments above that our mentality here requires the addition of 'sir' and 'ma', I would like to point out here that that mentality is a wrong one that needs to fade away at the workplace.

I worked with Virgin Nigeria and that mentality was TOTALLY ABSENT at the workplace!!! It never even brought disrespect amongst superiors and subordinates!! Abeg make that oga park well joor!!!

Na mate em come do for the workplace? I most times see it sef as Inferiority complex when U cannot allow a junior feel free with you at the workplace when one is been addressed!

You are not a Nigerian. But in case you live in Naija, you are a disrespectful person. No apology.
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by timoteus(m): 3:00pm On Jun 01, 2017
banmee:

It is not culture. It is a slave mentality. This is the reason people like buhari are still "leading" you.

So respect is now slave mentality? ?
Dont forget that Buhari is "leading" us
No matter what you say I will call my elder "sir" cuz that's how I was raised

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by freebreezeyz(m): 3:05pm On Jun 01, 2017
dickt:

You are not a Nigerian. But in case you live in Naija, you are a disrespectful person. No apology.

Who is dis one? what do you kow about respect? Is the workplace ur father's own? Am fully Nigerian and know what respect is! Your reasoning is not needed here neither is ur apology!

I am sure u havent worked in a corporate organization before where input is what is required and not some so called sir or madam ideology!

Park well abeg....
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by banmee(m): 3:14pm On Jun 01, 2017
timoteus:

So respect is now slave mentality? ?
Dont forget that Buhari is "leading" us
No matter what you say I will call my elder "sir" cuz that's how I was raised

Nigerians do not know what respect mean. To them subjugation means respect. If Nigerians knew what it meant, the country would not be the way it is today. You guys don't respect yourselves, life, or your environment.

2 Likes

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by timoteus(m): 5:41pm On Jun 01, 2017
banmee:

Nigerians do not know what respect mean. To them subjugation means respect. [b]If Nigerians knew what it meant, the country would not be the way it is today. [/b]You guys don't respect yourselves, life, or your environment.

What I bolded just confuses me
So respect is what our leaders are lacking or what ?
The two do not correlate in any sense.
Let's go back to the story, are you saying his boss can't say he shud call him sir?
It's a yes or no question
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by temitope277(m): 6:17pm On Jun 01, 2017
Airoflaw:
Nigeria mentality.. you need to add Sir at d end of the statement to make it respectful to Our Nigerian Elders
he/she should have add sir
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by banmee(m): 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2017
timoteus:

What I bolded just confuses me
So respect is what our leaders are lacking or what ?
The two do not correlate in any sense.
Let's go back to the story, are you saying his boss can't say he shud call him sir?
It's a yes or no question

I seriously wonder your level of education. I can't believe i have to break it down. Here it goes;

To you, respect means bowing to subjugation. It's ramifications are that when one is in a superior position or older than you even if that person is inept, you would still defer to him/her because of "respect" for age or position. This is why old men who should have left leadership for the young ones in Nigeria are still there. Among other reasons, you are all too scared to challenge them because of your phucked up understanding of what respect is. And you don't have to say sir to your boss. What is mandated is using "Mr", "Miss", or "Mrs". You wouldn't understand because of the exposure and experiences you have as a Nigerian. The only profession where it is mandated is the military/paramilitary or if you just feel like saying it. Go to well advanced countries and see how the relationship between employer and employee is. This is why young people in place like Germany and the U.S are accomplishing so much. Meanwhile, In Nigeria, a 20 year old man or woman is still a small boy. Unbelievable. You all have this slave mentality that is scary to say the least.

2 Likes

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by FengChui(m): 10:39am On Jun 02, 2017
Husty:

*in Omawumi's voice*
If you ask me, na who I go ask tongue grin

*Continuing in Omawumi's voice*

The matter wey u start sooo, e heavy for mouth
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Ogbodoo: 12:27pm On Jun 02, 2017
With that attitude, the business may not last. Either the business shuts down or the boss is sacked soonest. Ego and pride are the two deadly diseases.

Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Haddock(m): 8:44pm On Jun 02, 2017
Zi:
I remember going to the dentist in Abuja. Two people already before it gets to my turn. Then came this young man with severe toothache behind me. He was pacing all around the place, tears flowing like a baby. So the receptionist called the doctor to attend to him urgently.

Then the dentist, a white woman stepped out to the waiting area, moved straight to him and asked - how are you, sir?

The visibly unwell patient responded: I'm fine.

Dentist: If you are fine, then why are you here? Tell me how you are so that I can know how to help you. Lol

This short story may seem unconnected to the topic of discuss, but I just remembered it and felt like sharing.

Back to topic: Nothing is wrong with asking someone about their well being, boss or servant.tongue

But remember to add Sir, Boss, Egbon, Imam, Pastor, Honorable, Daddy GO, Alhaji, or Officer etc, depending on the senior, superior or elder you're addressing, please. This is Africa!
Re: Staff Asked His Nigerian Boss ‘How Are You?’. See Reply by Haddock(m): 8:45pm On Jun 02, 2017
Zi:
I remember going to the dentist in Abuja. Two people already before it gets to my turn. Then came this young man with severe toothache behind me. He was pacing all around the place, tears flowing like a baby. So the receptionist called the doctor to attend to him urgently.

Then the dentist, a white woman stepped out to the waiting area, moved straight to him and asked - how are you, sir?

The visibly unwell patient responded: I'm fine.

Dentist: If you are fine, then why are you here? Tell me how you are so that I can know how to help you. Lol

This short story may seem unconnected to the topic of discuss, but I just remembered it and felt like sharing.

Back to topic: Nothing is wrong with asking someone about their well being, boss or servant.tongue

But remember to be polite and add either Sir, Boss, Egbon, Imam, Pastor, Honorable, Daddy GO, Alhaji, or Officer etc, depending on the senior, superior or elder you're addressing, please. This is Africa!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

TVC Explains Sack Of 145 Staff / UAC Nigeria Appoints Babasola Folasope As New MD/CEO / Huawei Staff Punished After Official Tweet Posted ‘via Iphone’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.