Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,968 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti (7266 Views)

Corruption: BUHARI gives EFCC Go Ahead to Probe JONATHAN / Ekiti Lawmakers 'offered' $1m To Remove Fayose / Appeal Court Gives CCT Go Ahead To Try Saraki For Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by aloyemeka7: 10:05pm On Jan 19, 2010
Lagos, Nigerian Eagle Airlines raise funds for Haiti
Lagos donates $1m

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Lagos State Government on Monday responded to the global appeal for aid for the earthquake victims in Haiti, as the State Executive Council launched an appeal fund with $1 million  (One Million Dollars) on behalf of the people and Government of the State.

According to a press statement signed by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Opeyemi Bamidele, the State Executive Council under the Chairmanship of Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) took the decision after a review of the plight of Haitians in the aftermath of the recent devastating earthquake in the country.

The Statement said the fund will be lodged at the Skye Bank Plc for subsequent transmission to the on-going aid programmes in Haiti adding that members of the State Executive Council have also made individual donations of N150,000 each in support of the fund while all well meaning members of the public and corporate organizations are also encouraged to support the fund.

Meanwhile, Nigerian Eagle Airlines, formerly Virgin Nigeria Airways,  is to introduce special on board envelopes on flights across its route network, to raise funds to support the ongoing humanitarian and rescue activities in Haiti. This, the airline said, is an integral part of its corporate social responsibility to help curtail the devastating effect of the earthquake, which affected Port-au-Prince and other neighbouring cities in Haiti.

While formally introducing the specially designed  envelopes in Lagos, the Airline's Chief Executive Officer, Captain Dapo Olumide, said the Airline is deeply concerned about the scale of disaster left in the wake of the earthquake and pledged the airlines’ commitment towards raising funds to make a difference in the support of ongoing humanitarian activities.

He said, “Nigerian Eagle Airlines is a responsive and caring airline that pays serious attention to issues that concerns humanity; and it is our wish that this humble gesture to identify with  victims of the quake will bring succour, as well as improve the health conditions of the survivors through."

Olumide said  the airline has equally initiated discussions for  transfer of proceeds that will be realised through the medium provided by the airline.

He said network wide flights will be used as the vehicle to raise donations for the worthy humanitarian course, adding that the airline’s crop of dedicated staff are committed to the success of the fund raising programme to assuage the sufferings of the Haitians.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jan/19/218.html
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 10:07pm On Jan 19, 2010
I am impressed.
God will bless all those that gave
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by aloyemeka7: 10:08pm On Jan 19, 2010
Does it not bother you that a country like Nigeria with no leadership could not do anything yet Lagos struggled to do something meaning that lagos state is managed better than the republic of Nigeria.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 10:11pm On Jan 19, 2010
aloy*emeka:

Doe sit not bother you that a country like Nigeria with no leadership could not do anything yet Lagos struggled to do something meaning that lagos state is managed better than the republic of Nigeria.
Nigeria cant do anything cos we ave no leader, but lagos has a head and a good one for that matter to decide what is good and bad
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by aloyemeka7: 10:12pm On Jan 19, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Nigeria cant do anything cos we ave no leader, but lagos has a head and a good one for that matter to decide what is good and bad

What of the senate?. Can't they allocate money towards the Haiti cause?
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Tsiya(m): 10:13pm On Jan 19, 2010
aloy*emeka:

Doe sit not bother you that a country like Nigeria with no leadership could not do anything yet Lagos struggled to do something meaning that lagos state is managed better than the republic of Nigeria.

It is highly commendable that Lagos state is trying to be humanitarian.

However, if we look at it closely, the Governor of a state have no legal authority to allocate money without appropration from the State assembly. This is a brazen abuse of power and looting.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 10:15pm On Jan 19, 2010
aloy*emeka:

What of the senate?. Can't they allocate money towards the Haiti cause?

I dont thnk they cld, who will sign it?
the best they could do is come together and take from the money they have stolen from their own pocket. . . .but knowing the fools we have as leaders, i am sure they will never do that, cos they are bunch of greedy bastards
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by manmustwac(m): 10:17pm On Jan 19, 2010
I guess the Nigerian Govt is just doing it to give the world the impression that they to are concerned about what is happening in Haiti. {Imagine a country that dosen't give a toss about her own people helping another country's people}
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by aloyemeka7: 10:19pm On Jan 19, 2010
Tsiya:

However, if we look at it closely, the Governor of a state have no legal authority to allocate money without appropration from the State assembly. This is a brazen abuse of power and looting.

That is not true. Fashola did not make the donation without following the due process of law and in times of emergency, the governor is given a limit to what he/she can spend as long as he/she accounts for it.

the State Executive Council under the Chairmanship of Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) took the decision after a review of the plight of Haitians in the aftermath of the recent devastating earthquake in the country
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 10:23pm On Jan 19, 2010
Tsiya:

How do u know they never gave him the go ahead?
aloy*emeka:

That is not true. Fashola did not make the donation without following the due process of law and in times of emergency, the governor is given a limit to what he/she can spend as long as he/she accounts for it.

Tell him oh
manmustwac:

I guess the Nigerian Govt is just doing it to give the world the impression that they to are concerned about what is happening in Haiti. {Imagine a country that dosen't give a toss about her own people helping another country's people}

At least they now show they care for people with problems
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by DARA1234: 10:25pm On Jan 19, 2010
Kudos gov Fashola, you are a good example, how can we organise doctors, nurses etc to use this money in Haiti
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 10:26pm On Jan 19, 2010
Lagos dont have to organize, that is why there is UN to take the money and make use of it
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by spikedcylinder: 10:28pm On Jan 19, 2010
aloy*emeka:

According to a press statement signed by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Opeyemi Bamidele, the State Executive Council under the Chairmanship of Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) took the decision after a review of the plight of Haitians in the aftermath of the recent devastating earthquake in the country.

How about the plight of Lagosians?
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 10:30pm On Jan 19, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Some plight could wait . . . .not sure if you have been following the crisis, cos if u have, you wont even talking about plight of people in Lagos, compared to what Haitian are going thru, by the time, i will click "Reply" button, 20 people and children would have died and that is all cos of poverty and lack of what is needed.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by aloyemeka7: 10:41pm On Jan 19, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Fashola go kill himself for you?. Everyday plight this and hunger that. The situation in Haiti needs more attention than your plight after all those who give money to beggars also have their own financial troubles to deal with yet they donate to charity.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 10:49pm On Jan 19, 2010
aloy*emeka:

Fashola go kill himself for you?. Everyday plight this and hunger that. The situation in Haiti needs more attention than your plight after all those who give money to beggars also have their own financial troubles to deal with yet they donate to charity.

Ask them oh
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by xterra2(m): 11:09pm On Jan 19, 2010
Tsiya:

I think this is an Appeal fund where the people of the state executive council donated 150,000 each($1000),and urged Lagosians to donate money and the money is been lodged at skye bank,
This is commendable as our federal government did nothing,and this is showing again that Lagos state is the bedrock of leadership in naija,

But i dont care about haiti,who cares?I dont know them,they dont know me also, Yes there was an earthquake but is it my fault NO,so to hell with your problem why should i donate, Are haitians only the people that have problems?Dont we have more in NaijaSorry haitians better luck next time and i wish you the best since the US and UN and other Big economies are sending million of $$$$$ money should be donated to the almajiras in the north.Did they give me the money to donate?I suffered for my money and sending it to STRANGERS,when my friends and family and nigerians ar in dire need of money from me, ELL NO,but anyway hope the best for haiti, At least because of twitter.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by naijatoday: 11:12pm On Jan 19, 2010
Lagos State $1 million

USA the largest economy (for now) $100 million.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Gbawe: 11:42pm On Jan 19, 2010
aloy*emeka:

Well stated. In fact , at State or national level , there are emergency funds available to administrators for 'extreme/unforeseen' occurences . To suggest that Fashola has done anything  wrong is the heights of ignorant mischief. Children are dying in Haiti . The situation is extremely dire. Nigeria has failed to respond adequately to the sufferings of our fellow men/women/children . Now that Fashola has acted decisively , as the acknowledged spiritual president of Nigeria , detractors prefer to decieve rather than acknowledge the kind of leadership we badly crave at this testing time in our history. Those who are myopic should do their best to frustrate the Fashola's, Ribadu's,El-Rufai's, Duke's', Ken Nnamani's of the world but they only postpone the inevitable i.e a brighter future for Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jan 19, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Fashola has done much for lagosians.Hell why is it that we nigerians can never acknowledge the little that some of our leaders with good minds do for us.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by spikedcylinder: 12:00am On Jan 20, 2010
I don't know what you people are yarning. Lagos has improved, yes but that amount is too much to give to charity in the state that Lagos is still in. undecided
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by naijatoday: 12:06am On Jan 20, 2010
spikedcylinder:

I don't know what you people are yarning. Lagos has improved, yes but that amount is too much to give to charity in the state that Lagos is still in. undecided

I agree with you. I am not saying don't donate, but in the state that Lagos is in $1 million is too much. Even the u.s that is the largest economy is using is only donating $100 million for now.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by platinumnk(f): 12:09am On Jan 20, 2010
naijatoday:

I agree with you. I am not saying don't donate, but in the state that Lagos is in $1 million is too much. Even the u.s that is the largest economy is using is only donating $100 million for now.

ONLY a $100 million? lol ure not serious, what other country has given more? undecided
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by naijatoday: 12:14am On Jan 20, 2010
For a country like U.S even with all its debt, " $100 million" in relation to its economy is not much
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by oyinda3(f): 12:20am On Jan 20, 2010
that's nice.

platinumnk:

ONLY a $100 million? lol ure not serious, what other country has given more? undecided

100 mill sounds like a lot to me too. and besides that, lots of american citizens prolly go over there to volunteer and/or provide non-monetary aid n services to help.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Gbawe: 12:26am On Jan 20, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Some of you should understand how Nigeria works before you start yarning !!! $1 million ? That is probably what senators are recieving currently  to keep Yar Adua in power even when it is clear he is not physically fit to be President !!! If Fashola were to be a crooked thug like OBJ he would arm-twist 3 or 4 Nigerians alone to donate $20 million towards a 'Lagos Library Project'!!!! Anyone who has a decent knowledge of public administration will understand that Lagos can make emergency funds available to fellow human beings suffering extreme distress that must move humanity into alleviative action.

I can' believe some folks are questioning the legitimacy of the actions of Lagos State considering that , in the midst of inaction and indecisiveness , a Nigerian State is reacting positively to the excruciating sufferings of fellow human beings !!!! Sadly , and dissapointingly  as some posts show , We have a long way to go .
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by spikedcylinder: 12:29am On Jan 20, 2010
Gbawe:

Some of you should understand how Nigeria works before you start yarning !!! $1 million ? That is probably what senators are recieving currently  to keep Yar Adua in power even when it is clear he is not physically fit to be President !!! If Fashola were to be a crooked thug like OBJ he would arm-twist 3 or 4 Nigerians alone to donate $20 million towards a 'Lagos Library Project'!!!! Anyone who has a decent knowledge of public administration will understand that Lagos can make emergency funds available to fellow human beings suffering extreme distress that must move humanity into alleviative action.

I can' believe some folks are questioning the legitimacy of the actions of Lagos State considering that , in the midst of inaction and indecisiveness , a Nigerian State is reacting positively to the excruciating sufferings of fellow human beings !!!! Sadly , and dissapointingly  as some posts show , We have a long way to go .

Where have I questioned the legitimacy of the government's actions? Where did I mention that Fashola didn't go through the proper channels to get the donation? Some of you can be way over your heads sometimes.
As I said earlier, a chunk of that money can still go into developing Lagos State projects as Lagos and Nigeria are not beyond receiving charity themselves. undecided
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Gbawe: 12:52am On Jan 20, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Where have I questioned the legitimacy of the government's actions? Where did I mention that Fashola didn't go through the proper channels to get the donation? Some of you can be way over your heads sometimes.
As I said earlier, a chunk of that money can still go into developing Lagos State projects as Lagos and Nigeria are not beyond receiving charity themselves. undecided

Level the allegation of impropriety against other Governors of Nigerians States who[b] deserve it[/b] by their inaction !!!! If Fashola has made $1 million available to the extremely distressed Haitian people it will be because , as the most responsible and pro-people leader in Nigeria today, he want's to show that Nigeria  still has leaders , even if Yar Adua and his nefarious cabal are doing their best to destroy our image, who want to do what is right in the face of persecution.

Rather than wasting time here talking about Fashola ( a man who is alway careful to do the right thing unlike our despotic and anti-people President) I think we should focus on how[b] comatose Yar Adua [/b] 'signed' billions of dollars into budgetary motion yet physically and mentally fit Fashola is treated like a criminal for spending $1 million properly !!! We hav a looooooooooooooooooong way to go .
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by aloyemeka7: 1:02am On Jan 20, 2010
spikedcylinder:

How much do you think wouldn't have been too much?.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by 0hsisi: 1:06am On Jan 20, 2010
Has Fashola gone nuts?
The amount is too much from one state
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by aloyemeka7: 1:27am On Jan 20, 2010
0hsisi:

Has Fashola gone nuts?
The amount is too much from one state

He is not tpia na, is he? wink wink wink
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by 0hsisi: 1:29am On Jan 20, 2010
I withdraw that statement.
It's an appeal fund not a state donation from state money.
cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nairaland Doesn't Support Nigeria Breakup:Stop Using Ijaw militants as decoy! / No Money Misappropriated In 2016 Budget – Dogara / Only 10 Out Of 45 Registered Political Parties In Nigeria Have Websites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.