Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,460 members, 7,812,409 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 (2121 Views)

My Gear Box Is Cracked And Needs Repairs Or Replacement / What Could Be Wrong With My Gear. / I Need To Fix My Gear Box. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by kenny1911: 5:31pm On Jun 07, 2017
Please, gear box technician guru, i need an urgent assistance before taking the next step on my car.
Its a Toyota Camry 2009 model, 4 plugs

This morning (Wednesday) as i was going to work, my check engine light started flashing and thereafter my gear refused to accelerate.
i switched off the engine and started the car again and continue my journey to the office with any problem.

Meanwhile, my Check engine light is on, the PRND occasional flashes and the instrument gauges is also not working fine but occasionally normalizes.

i got the car scanned and the following codes popped up
1. P0798
2. P0986

i checked the level of the gear oil and it seemed to be gauged and clean

I then called a gear box technician and he said it the valve body and it needs to be changed.

Please, what could be the problem and possible solution to these problems.

I am in Abuja and need expert advise.

i called a gear box technician and he told me it has to do with the valve body and it need to be changed

Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by abolore80(m): 6:25pm On Jun 07, 2017
Gazzuz or Honmusa will tell you what to do with the codes thrown up from the scan. However, you can check the valve body or the solenoid attached to the gear. It may be weak and needs a change. Cheers
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by kenny1911: 6:29pm On Jun 07, 2017
abolore80:
Gazzuz or Honmusa will tell you what to do with the codes thrown up from the scan. However, you can check the valve body or the solenoid attached to the gear. It may be weak and needs a change. Cheers

Thanks man, please I need more opinion. My hope is on your guy's, I don't want to gamble on this repairs.
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by kenny1911: 6:30pm On Jun 07, 2017
Abeg ona, after the view of my wahala I need your expert opinion or experience on these faults plsssss
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by abolore80(m): 7:00pm On Jun 07, 2017
kenny1911:

Thanks man, please I need more opinion. My hope is on your guy's, I don't want to gamble on this repairs.

Don't worry. it will be resolved. Just follow the advice given here.
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by kenny1911: 10:16pm On Jun 07, 2017
Nairaland gurus on gearbox issues, Na beg I dey take beg ona to please respond to my plight.

please i want experts guide on my wahala.
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by timifakay(m): 1:42am On Jun 08, 2017
kenny1911:
Please, gear box technician guru, i need an urgent assistance before taking the next step on my car.

This morning (Wednesday) as i was going to work, my check engine light started flashing and thereafter my gear refused to accelerate.
i switched off the engine and started the car again and continue my journey to the office with any problem.

Meanwhile, my Check engine light is on, the PRND occasional flashes and the instrument gauges is also not working fine but occasionally normalizes.

1. P0798
2. P0986

I then called a gear box technician and he said it the valve body and it needs to be changed.

i called a gear box technician and he told me it has to do with the valve body and it need to be changed

P0798 TOYOTA - Pressure Control Solenoid 'C' Electrical

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0798_toyota.html

P0986 TOYOTA - Shift Solenoid 'E' Control Circuit High

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0986_toyota.html

When was the last time you replaced transmission oil and how much distance have you travelled between then and now.
A transmission service and solenoids cleaning might work fine and return the vehicle to normal operating condition.
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by Kashif(m): 7:28am On Jun 08, 2017
kenny1911:

1. P0798
2. P0986

What your car has is electrical problem. Dont let anybody tamper with your valve body. You had your range indicator and check engine lights flashing, which got corrected with a key cycle. Your instrument cluster also malfunctioned. Dont touch the ATF or anything internal of the box.

Look for Kingreign.

1 Like

Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by cyborg123(m): 7:30am On Jun 08, 2017
I have seen similar signs with a 2007 Toyota Corolla having faulty brainbox. I recommend that you test your vehicle with a good replacement brainbox before touching your transmission.
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by nams77: 10:41am On Jun 08, 2017
I'm no expert but don't allow any mech kazeemized your car. Wait for proper direction on this forum before you do anything. Thank you sir. #myonecent

1 Like

Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by kenny1911: 4:08pm On Jun 08, 2017
Kashif:

What your car has is electrical problem. Dont let anybody tamper with your valve body. You had your range indicator and check engine lights flashing, which got corrected with a key cycle. Your instrument cluster also malfunctioned. Dont touch the ATF or anything internal of the box.

Look for Kingreign.

Thanks for the response.
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by kenny1911: 4:09pm On Jun 08, 2017
cyborg123:
I have seen similar signs with a 2007 Toyota Corolla having faulty brainbox. I recommend that you test your vehicle with a good replacement brainbox before touching your transmission.

Thanks for your contribution

1 Like

Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by kenny1911: 4:12pm On Jun 08, 2017
nams77:
I'm no expert but don't allow any mech kazeemized your car. Wait for proper direction on this forum before you do anything. Thank you sir. #myonecent

I will be patient because i dont want to gamble on this by spending my hard earned money in this recession and the problem not resolved or even causing more problem for myself.

Thanks for the advise
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by kenny1911: 4:21pm On Jun 08, 2017
Today i took the car to my mechanic and he connected about four ABS and the instrument started working. We drove the car for sometime and the instrument did not fail.

Just wondering if this will be a permanent solution or just temporary. I'm being careful because the belgium ABS alone is N70,000. I have not decided to change the ABS yet after i have gotten enough guidance from you guys. Meanwhile, the check engine light was still on. Also, a gear box technician said the transmission fluid is dirty and that it need serving.

This was what i experienced today.

Still waiting for more contributions, plsssssssss.
[size=8pt][/size]
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by olutoyintope: 8:44am On May 28, 2022
How did it later go. Am having this same P0798 code error saying my solenoid c malfunction electrical
Re: Please Advise On My Gear Code P0798 and P0986 by Dozieson(m): 9:41am On May 28, 2022
olutoyintope:
How did it later go. Am having this same P0798 code error saying my solenoid c malfunction electrical

Did you do any work on your car recently? Check all wires leading to the gear for any corrosion or disconnection.

(1) (Reply)

2020 Toyota Camry TRD First Drive Review / Toyota Sienna 2006 Vs 2008 / Honda City Goes Off At Slow Speed And Battery Light Comes On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.