Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,048 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand (43761 Views)

Elisha Abbo In Face-Off With Oluremi Tinubu, Senate Adhoc Panel (Video) / I Will Not Fail Nigeria Again - Buhari / 2019: Obasanjo Outlines Major Issues With APC, PDP, Says He’s Not Member Of ADC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:06pm On Jun 14, 2017
laudate:

Are you sure you read his post with an open mind? Which 'bias against Igbo' did the man express? sad In fact, he expressed his affinity & respect for them, in most of his comments! And then you claim that he 'provide a resource material for those who feed off their hatred for Igbo' .... in what way? shocked He merely stated the facts, as he saw them. How you can interpret or twist his comments to imply that he was providing resource material to those who hate the Igbo, is truly baffling!! shocked

And you ended by saying that his son would 'grow tomorrow to read his father's bias and unfounded vituperations against his mother's side...' What dirty unfounded vituperations, biko nu? Do you even know the meaning of that word?? shocked

Ok
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by laudate: 2:09pm On Jun 14, 2017
odutope:
If it was that easy, there wouldnt be soo many igbos in lagos
I no know say you sef see am. Why haven't they built it since? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Kfed4ril(m): 2:11pm On Jun 14, 2017
Mujtahida:

Oyi I think it's not wise for those in the middle belt to fall into this deceptive category called North central. We should project middle belt. Not North central. Plain geographical logic shows we are on the middle of this country so why call it North central?

What about the so called south south that is U shaped round the southeast just to land lock the igbos?

Look at the political zones in Nigeria, the only thing I see Is a political zones carved by the Fulanis to favor them.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by laudate: 2:12pm On Jun 14, 2017
Sagay212:
Every body just talking trash about their region developing if Nigeria divides. If your region doesn't develop now, it will not develop when you divide. I do not just understand why people be acting stupid. All states have governors, senators, LG chairmen, councillors, etc. None of you internet warriors are bothered about the LG chairmen and councillors closest to you. You don't even bother to know them let alone ask them questions yet you believe a miracle will happen when you exit Nigeria. If Nigeria divides today, there will be extreme hatred all over between all tribes. All those making noise about their dream country developing if they exit nigeria should show us examples of how their region can develop while in Nigeria. Show us sample, let your leaders show us by developing your various states first before talking nonsense about their region turning to dubai if they get freedom.

Asari dokubo and other militants got rich and the next thing they did was to start having their investments outside of their region and even in other countries. Who is deceiving who?

Beautiful write-up! Your post make sense, die! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by sarahade(f): 2:16pm On Jun 14, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

Delta what? Delta yoruba or Delta hausa? Anyway do u recall what happened in Delta when Murtala Mohammed's ruthless killing machines stormed Asaba killing all including women cutting of their nipples and disembowelling pregnant women?

Only a fool will uses a name like Nigeria dondie.
Biafra-ud is for igbo people leave with your people.
I'm delta Hausa come and beat me.
Mtcheeeeew
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Eluwilussit(m): 2:18pm On Jun 14, 2017
EzeeYFB:
we are Nigeria, stop all this tribe thing.
America today is made up of different ethnic groups to different race sef, yet na American they dey can themselves

America is practicing true democracy. They learned their lessons after their civil war. Has Nigeria learned anything from hers?

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by laudate: 2:19pm On Jun 14, 2017
kick:
What de fu*k!!. We have industries owned by Indians, Pakistani, Germany and even Americans scattered all over Nigeria. So I don't really know were all these cheap blackmail are coming from. The business owned by the Igbos are legal and not illegal. Even if Igbos have their Biafra, what ever is left of Nigeria Government will still protect life and property owned by Igbos.

Are you ok? undecided You are depending on the Nigerian govt., to 'still protect life and property owned by Igbos,' if today the Igbos get their Biafra? Are you going to hold a gun to their heads, to compel them to offer you that protection? Tell us, o! sad
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by KratosCorp: 2:27pm On Jun 14, 2017
aAppology to Mynd44. My error. IVnow saw what you did. Sorry I did not know that I submitted that thread twice. Thank you for doing the right thing and sorry for making your task uneccessarily bigger and calling you out wrongly.

https://www.nairaland.com/3860830/lied-biafra-vs-arewa-face#57509558
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Nigeriadondie: 2:27pm On Jun 14, 2017
sarahade:

Only a fool will uses a name like Nigeria dondie.
Biafra-ud is for igbo people leave with your people.
I'm delta Hausa come and beat me.
Mtcheeeeew
I did not insult u. Why do u ve to insult me? Pls I need to know. I made my point without insults. I demand an apology from u
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by sarahade(f): 2:29pm On Jun 14, 2017
Nigeriadondie:

I did not insult u. Why do u ve to insult me? Pls I need to know. I made my point without insults. I demand an apology from u

Sorry.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jun 14, 2017
EmeeNaka:
There are too many exaggerations in this article
1) That Igbo people are in control of 70% of commercial activities in the North. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Northerners i saw while in the North are astute businessmen. They are in control of Northern commerce. I will instead agree that Igbos commercial activities in the North are quite significant.
2) Biafra agitation is led by Igbos chiefly, but not only Igbos are in support of it and the Biafra proposed map does not make the Biafra, a landlocked state except if there are some other people preparing another Biafra.
3) Igbos business activities in the North are mutually beneficial to the Igbos and the North. The envy and Jealousy that always come with Igbo business is Nigeria are unwarranted. Every Nigerian eye is set on Igbo business. They will talk of it 20times per day always alluding to their friendliness. Every part of Nigeria is hostile to Igbo people. It's just that the people there still need what igbos offers. Igbos turn any environment they settle to viable environment and develop it unlike other Nigeria tribesmen who will not even attempt to buy land in Igboland nor even develop a free land given to them. At Ugwuoba in Enugu, a large Hectares of lands were given to Northerners to build their place. They ended up setting up a refugee camp there. They would not mould a single block to erect a building. They devastated the land.
If you give such land to Igbo man, in 3years,you will be amazed. Go to Shaki in Oyo state and see newest examples but few days back,an indigene of shaki started threatening Igbo's to leave Shaki.
4) National Integration should not be led by a single group. Many Yorubas will claim of being good host but they never claim of being good immigrants notably because if a Yoruba man want to travel, he will most likely travel outside Nigeria. A lot of Nigerians accuse igbos of being unruly but they can't go outside their homeland in Nigeria to live where there are no Igboman in the same Nigeria. Most group oppose Biafra secession by threatening to secede if Igbos go; that's a sign that the only thing keeping many groups in Nigeria is Igbo man.
5) There is nothing more to learn about Hausa Fulani North men. There is no way to please them if you're not a Muslim. The fact that Igbo man drinks a beer during Fasting is a non-issue. Making statements against is simply being unNigerian.
In Conclusion, Igbos has been more Nigerian than any groups in Nigeria. Igbos live out the true meaning of National integration which has brought them harm from those who has always touted one Nigeria but hate to see it materialized. The only thing that sections of Nigeria care about Nigeria is oil wealth. The idea of Nationhood is totally opposed by majority of Nigeria groups. The call for secession will continue unless Nigeria restructure in such a way as to promote Corporate coexistence.

As a Yoruba man I agree the bolded is so true. The first time I traveled to Abuja, I was hugely disappointed. Personally, I believe only Lagos have the opportunities I wanted from Nigeria. When I wanted more from life as I grew older, I looked outside of Nigeria. Nigeria needs more cities like Lagos because the sustainability and survival of the Nigerian project depends on it.
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by EzeeYFB(m): 2:32pm On Jun 14, 2017
Eluwilussit:

America is practicing true democracy. They learned their lessobs after their civil war. Has Nigeria learned anything from hers?
America no learn from violence this human being, the aftermath changed the course they were shouting for, don't carry am for head na war dey make country get sense.
Abeg receive sense if u think na till we fight another war then we go practice true democracy, when our Youths will continue to allow themselves are weapons to carry selfish aim n later get dumped.
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by eodavids(m): 2:35pm On Jun 14, 2017
Oche, you have done us a favour by this important piece you authored. God bless you.

I am an Igbo and I agree with your position.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by monex(m): 2:36pm On Jun 14, 2017
Mujtahida:

Why is it so difficult for people to understand things. So in other words when you have Biafra you will respect their culture there because you are foreigners and they are foreigners to you? As in while you cannot respect (according to you because of the constitution) the culture in the North as Igbo Nigerians, you will respect it as Biafrans in the North of Nigeria when Biafra becomes a reality? Constitution? Don't you have commonsense? This is your logic: Nigerians should not respect the culture of other Nigerians because we are all Nigerians but foreigners should respect the culture of all Nigerians because they are foreigners.

I am shaking my head. No wonder we are in this mess. Please how old are you-no vex-cos I like to interact with matured minds. I am shocked at your logic.

while i agree with you and disagree with her. This is her logic for clarity:

She is obligated to obey the constitution and only that. if the constitution as at today does not forbid something, She is not oligated to do it out of respect for culture/religion. If Biafra comes and then she is a foreigner in Nigeria, she will respect Nigeria's constitution which should include not drinking beer during fasting or not wearing bumshorts.

for the records, the above logic is not sensible too

1 Like

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Kfed4ril(m): 2:50pm On Jun 14, 2017
Mujtahida:

My brother, I so much learnt how to draw the map of Nigeria and Africa as a geography secondary student back then but I was surprised and a bit confused when I looked at a copy of our map this morning and discovered that igboland popularly called East is actually embedded in the deep Southern part of Nigeria. However a senior professional colleague just explained to me that it was called East because the old Eastern region included cross rivers and rivers States which themselves have been birthed Akwa Ibom and Bayelsa state. But this is why our conversation has to change to reflect new realities. We are using old and stale language.

I So much love your truthfulness
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Eluwilussit(m): 2:56pm On Jun 14, 2017
EzeeYFB:
America no learn from violence this human being, the aftermath changed the course they were shouting for, don't carry am for head na war dey make country get sense.
Abeg receive sense if u think na till we fight another war then we go practice true democracy, when our Youths will continue to allow themselves are weapons to carry selfish aim n later get dumped.

Didn't Nigeria fight a civil war? Who is advocating for another civil war? I only pointed out that we didn't learn anything from our own civil war.

Abeg, receive sense. Na u need am pass. grin
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by kick(f): 2:59pm On Jun 14, 2017
laudate:

Are you ok? undecided You are depending on the Nigerian govt., to 'still protect life and property owned by Igbos,' if today the Igbos get their Biafra? Are you going to hold a gun to their heads, to compel them to offer you that protection? Tell us, o! sad

Yes cos it's done everywhere. Days of abandoned property is over. This isn't the 60s or 90s. The government knows this.
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 14, 2017
iiiyyyk:
your write up is fine, though u lean a bit in favour of the north that I understand.

1. U know life can not be compared to any material acquisition by man. The mere fact that the life and property of an Igboman is not and might never be secured in the North, looking at current prevailing factors. This alone completely nullifies any economic benefit Igbos get from the North.

2.U didn't Mention that Igbos pay business and property/hotel taxes in those states, which help the economy of those states.

3. if Igbos withdraw their little investments in the north, the economy of those places will feel it as well.
4. who consume most of the farm produce from the North, remember we buy them, north dont give it to us for free. if they tax our products heavily, we also tax theirs.
5. Igbos will easily build another lagos in Abia, via Imo River to atlantic,
or in cross River and Akwa Ibom whom am very sure we gladly join the Igbos...Remember we are very close to central Africa, a bigger market than Lagos_ west Africa corridor.

6. what makes nations great is not natural resources, but Human capital development and financial capital, which u agree Igbos are not doing too badly in Both.

I want a restructured Nigeria, to true fiscal federalism, or back to regional(6 federating Regions) but if Fed govt persist in status quo, am afraid, Nigeria is not sustainable. therefore Biafra becomes the next viable option for all progressive minded Igbo Nation.

I tell u the truth, Biafra will be an aggressive success with freeminded Igbomen. Rather than compare Biafra with Sudan, I think u should look at countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea and Singapore. the Igboman share same spirit and mindset with people from these places ....surving against all odds

all the same welldone

Well analysts.

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Mujtahida: 3:03pm On Jun 14, 2017
monex:

while i agree with you and disagree with her. This is her logic for clarity:

She is obligated to obey the constitution and only that. if the constitution as at today does not forbid something, She is not oligated to do it out of respect for culture/religion. If Biafra comes and then she is a foreigner in Nigeria, she will respect Nigeria's constitution which should include not drinking beer during fasting or not wearing bumshorts.

for the records, the above logic is not sensible too
I understand her logic and that of another guy I responded to(my response to him you just quoted) but that's just plain legalism without understanding the dynamics of human nature, culture, history and relationships. Remember this touches not just on culture but religious culture. I lived in Akure. They have pagan festivals that they do sometimes during which all shops would be locked till say12pm. Clearly that amounts to a violation of constitutional rights but as a wise human being who respects people you just abide by it. Even Pastors will tell you to respect it just for PEACE AND AMITY to reign. Next day shops will open and business will go on as usual.

I understand their thinking and it's very tragic. What it means is that I as a Nigerian will not bend a little to accommodate and show respect for the culture of other Nigerians -religious one at that-to the extent that it can even cause conflict but when I get my own Republic and a foreigner I will respect that same culture because I have become a foreigner.
Is this not why Nigerians can defecate on public highways and mess up public utilities here in Nigeria (no respect for maintenance and hygiene culture) but they will carefully abide and act properly when they travel abroad. You see how poor, how debased, how twisted our thinking is?

As a Nigerian I should respect the cultural values of other Nigerians and not expect foreigners to do so.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by laudate: 3:06pm On Jun 14, 2017
kick:
Yes cos it's done everywhere. Days of abandoned property is over. This isn't the 60s or 90s. The government knows this.
There are so many things that are done everywhere, that are not done in some other place. sad Assumption is the mother of all delusions. Like I asked you the last time: "Are you going to hold a gun to their heads, to compel them to offer you that protection?" If they do not, what on earth would you do?
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 14, 2017
EmeeNaka:
There are too many exaggerations in this article
1) That Igbo people are in control of 70% of commercial activities in the North. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Northerners i saw while in the North are astute businessmen. They are in control of Northern commerce. I will instead agree that Igbos commercial activities in the North are quite significant.
2) Biafra agitation is led by Igbos chiefly, but not only Igbos are in support of it and the Biafra proposed map does not make the Biafra, a landlocked state except if there are some other people preparing another Biafra.
3) Igbos business activities in the North are mutually beneficial to the Igbos and the North. The envy and Jealousy that always come with Igbo business is Nigeria are unwarranted. Every Nigerian eye is set on Igbo business. They will talk of it 20times per day always alluding to their friendliness. Every part of Nigeria is hostile to Igbo people. It's just that the people there still need what igbos offers. Igbos turn any environment they settle to viable environment and develop it unlike other Nigeria tribesmen who will not even attempt to buy land in Igboland nor even develop a free land given to them. At Ugwuoba in Enugu, a large Hectares of lands were given to Northerners to build their place. They ended up setting up a refugee camp there. They would not mould a single block to erect a building. They devastated the land.
If you give such land to Igbo man, in 3years,you will be amazed. Go to Shaki in Oyo state and see newest examples but few days back,an indigene of shaki started threatening Igbo's to leave Shaki.
4) National Integration should not be led by a single group. Many Yorubas will claim of being good host but they never claim of being good immigrants notably because if a Yoruba man want to travel, he will most likely travel outside Nigeria. A lot of Nigerians accuse igbos of being unruly but they can't go outside their homeland in Nigeria to live where there are no Igboman in the same Nigeria. Most group oppose Biafra secession by threatening to secede if Igbos go; that's a sign that the only thing keeping many groups in Nigeria is Igbo man.
5) There is nothing more to learn about Hausa Fulani North men. There is no way to please them if you're not a Muslim. The fact that Igbo man drinks a beer during Fasting is a non-issue. Making statements against is simply being unNigerian.
In Conclusion, Igbos has been more Nigerian than any groups in Nigeria. Igbos live out the true meaning of National integration which has brought them harm from those who has always touted one Nigeria but hate to see it materialized. The only thing that sections of Nigeria care about Nigeria is oil wealth. The idea of Nationhood is totally opposed by majority of Nigeria groups. The call for secession will continue unless Nigeria restructure in such a way as to promote Corporate coexistence.
You have said it all.
This current Nigeria were structured by few greedy elites for personal interests not for general interests. The early Nigeria is restructuring the better for everyone. Why is national conference reports are not looked at by this administration, why are the north and APC playing politics with the national confeb reports?
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by obasivic: 3:42pm On Jun 14, 2017
sarahade:

Finally you understand .
Republic of Niger delta or Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria

Nigelta grin
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Noccerino(m): 3:42pm On Jun 14, 2017
laudate:

Cameroun is still very much part of West Africa, bro.' Or didn't you study geography in school? shocked
Your geography teacher is a disgrace
Cameroon is central Africa
Bury ur head in shame when u find out I'm correct.
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by irrefragable: 3:43pm On Jun 14, 2017
sarahade:

Mumu na tribe una add for your Biafra map.
Itsekiri ogbeni and we don't speak igbo.
don't worry itsekiri, urhobo won't be part of Biafra when the time comes. You guys are similar to the Yorubas. So don't worry yourself, the current map of Biafra is only a proposed map: nothing concrete yet.

1 Like

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Nigeriadondie: 3:48pm On Jun 14, 2017
sarahade:

Sorry.
Ur apology accepted. At d same time be mindful of your choice of words. I can be very raw with abusive words, I mean really raw but I don't draw first blood unless d person fails to apologize then I pour my venomous words which I would freely ve done if not ur apology.
Make ur point without insults cos it makes u matured, courteous and responsible especially as a woman u re.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Nigeriadondie: 3:50pm On Jun 14, 2017
sarahade:

Sorry.
Ur apology accepted. At d same time be mindful of your choice of words. I can be very raw with abusive words, I mean really raw but I don't draw first blood unless d person fails to apologize then I pour my venomous words which I would freely ve done if not ur apology.
Make ur point without insults cos it makes u matured, courteous and responsible especially as a woman u re.
As for d name "Nigeriadondie" it is born out of irreversible and persistent disappointment I ve towards Nigeria. I first an Igbo and then a Nigerian. I love(d) Nigeria but after travelling to 15 countries some of which have oil and seen what they have done with huge oil wealth to lift all I mean its citizens out of poverty and gave them befitting life with available infrastructure going far beyond d basics then u will understand that Nigeria is completely dead. Pray make u no get sickness apart from malaria and typhoid then u will see y d leaders themselves shamelessly travel out to seek treatment out of d country. What d link below and see how hospitals in a dead country actually looks like with patients on d floor. Even Syria at war most of its clinic even makeshift ones are better equipped than Nigeria. Yet anually billions are allocated for health.
http://www.aljazeera.com/video/news/2017/04/nigeria-meningitis-outbreak-infects-thousands-170408115856520.html
For those who studied sciences/engineering or other practical based courses in Nigeria and then outside u will see how lack of well equipped labs in our schools have made d difference of which I am privileged to have had.
Electricity I can bet that constant power wud forever remain a dream for Nigerians. Is it oil, we are d only ones that ve crude but import refined ones even Iraq and Syria at war has functioning refineries and many countries that even dont have oil thought it wise to buy crude and refine locally at least it also creates jobs locally. I can go on and on to show that Nigeria is dead without apology to no one including u cos it is my opinion and I ve right to my own opinion.
Is it d judiciary, hope u are aware d presidential arms probe was disbanded and Saraki's trial at d CCT has become case closed showing that there is impunity for law breakere unfortunately some are made lawmakers. Then a society without equality before d law is dead as I ve seen d difference it makes in other climes.
Also Sarah, no country develops with 70-75% of its budget on recurrent expenditure and mere 25-30% on capital and even still some if it wud be embezzled. That country is doomed to fail and like a car engine breakdown.
So Nigeria is dead and not willing to be ressurected without insults to Nigerians.
I conclude by saying I am not anti/pro Biafra cos even if Igbo of which I am one wud ve Biafra I fear that some of the problems in Nigeria wud creep into Biafra. Nigeria if only it was united wud have been better but if cant be restructured then it has to split as d USSR or former Yugoslavia cos no basis for its unity
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by LordCrimson(m): 3:50pm On Jun 14, 2017
[quote][/quote]it is not unusual to find an Igbo man provocatively gulping a bottle of beer before a fasting Muslim neighbor without recourse to their emotions during Ramadan, the failure and outright refusal of a vast majority of the Igbo community to recognize and respect the religious beliefs of their host communities will continue to be the weakest and most lethal link in this complex relation'''

This part almost made the writeup loose it's credibility.......... Will it be proper if we start forcing our northern brothers to cook rice and stew during Xmas
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by obasivic: 3:51pm On Jun 14, 2017
hmbassey1960:
we will okay i just pity u if this ur biafra of a thing is serious just claim one state and hold it let us see

At least we will be alive to claim it, when the Hausa and Fulani herdsmen will venture to your farm and rape your women. One Nigeria cool

1 Like

Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by monex(m): 3:54pm On Jun 14, 2017
Mujtahida:

I understand her logic and that of another guy I responded to(my response to him you just quoted) but that's just plain legalism without understanding the dynamics of human nature, culture, history and relationships. Remember this touches not just on culture but religious culture. I lived in Akure. They have pagan festivals that they do sometimes during which all shops would be locked till say12pm. Clearly that amounts to a violation of constitutional rights but as a wise human being who respects people you just abide by it. Even Pastors will tell you to respect it just for PEACE AND AMITY to reign. Next day shops will open and business will go on as usual.

I understand their thinking and it's very tragic. What it means is that I as a Nigerian will not bend a little to accommodate and show respect for the culture of other Nigerians -religious one at that-to the extent that it can even cause conflict but when I get my own Republic and a foreigner I will respect that same culture because I have become a foreigner.
Is this not why Nigerians can defecate on public highways and mess up public utilities here in Nigeria (no respect for maintenance and hygiene culture) but they will carefully abide and act properly when they travel abroad. You see how poor, how debased, how twisted our thinking is?

As a Nigerian I should respect the cultural values of other Nigerians and not expect foreigners to do so.

I didnt see your second response to the other guy.

Meanwhile, i absolutely agree with this post
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by hmbassey1960(m): 3:55pm On Jun 14, 2017
obasivic:

At least we will be alive to claim it, when the Hausa and Fulani herdsmen will venture to your farm and rape your women. One Nigeria cool
tell ur namndi that he is a just a barking dog but can't bite
Re: Biafra Vs Arewa Face Off: The Five Major Issues We Must Not Fail To Understand by Liberal85(m): 3:55pm On Jun 14, 2017
As a civil servant working for one of the leading agencies,I have done a lot of traveling.I lived in almost every part of the country,became friends with people from all these major tribes.I've always ended up discarding my earlier notions about these tribes and what is being portrayed about them in general. Tolerance is hard to come by when you're programmed right from birth to detest anyone who isn't you. Having grown up outside the country I have been lucky to avoid such sentiments.Focusing on the individual is key rather than the collective. A funny incident in the NYSC camp in Kaduna occurred in front of me..A guy from Anambra called Emma saw a couple of women selling coke n fanta and he was like "chai,so dem get this thing for north?" Some were annoyed at the comment but I looked closely and realised it wasn't a derogatory comment.He actually was sincere in his astonishment.To him the world starts in Anambra and ends there. I lived in Abeokuta few years ago and was shocked to find indigenes who couldn't speak pidgin,not to talk of English. It was in Abeokuta I saw a few Hausa men hawking..I conversed with some of them and understood they traveled all the way from Zamfara to come n sell fruits worth less than 3k. I thought to myself if I were to judge all these tribes by these people I met then surely our country is doomed. The burden of these issues falls a great deal on parents for inculcating the hate culture. If we all treated the other as ourselves then surely there is no stopping us. I've been to Belgium and wow you ought to see the diversity..But there's so much peace..They celebrate diversity in individuals. Looking at their football national team will immediately give you a clearer picture. Let's all abandon the stereotypes..Everyone has some gift to offer.Let's Unite

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Martin Elechi Bowing To Greet Governor Umahi (Photo) / Some Funny INEC Result Sheets / MC Oluomo Donates Branded Vehicles To Tinubu/shettima Campaign Organisation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.