Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:49 AM

Hardtalk: Why Can't Nigerian Journalists Interview Like Stephen Sackur? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hardtalk: Why Can't Nigerian Journalists Interview Like Stephen Sackur? (911 Views)

Nigerian Journalists Struggle For Fried Chicken At Inec Office (Photo) / Shekarau On Bbc's Hardtalk Tonight / Watch Obasanjo On Bbc Hardtalk. Very Funny Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hardtalk: Why Can't Nigerian Journalists Interview Like Stephen Sackur? by Revolution: 1:13pm On Jan 23, 2010
Watch this interview with Obasanjo, he visibly gets angry but remains respectful because the interviewer commands respect. Why don't we have any Nigerian Journalist who can challenge our leaders like this? If this had been a Nigerian journalist he (Obj) would have told him to SHUTUP and the journalist would have shutup like a wimp.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/8340532.stm
Re: Hardtalk: Why Can't Nigerian Journalists Interview Like Stephen Sackur? by DisGuy: 1:31pm On Jan 23, 2010
They live in nigeria, they know their employers, they know where they work, they know where they live and their bodies will never be recovered!

You get the hint  wink
Re: Hardtalk: Why Can't Nigerian Journalists Interview Like Stephen Sackur? by ElRazur: 1:43pm On Jan 23, 2010
It all boils down to culture!

As nigerians, we usually associate respect with fear - or fear have become interwoven with respect. Hence if a journalist is to pull one off like they do on BBC, there will be a psychological need to "respect" them as they are older or perceived as person of "high status". Once we do away with this sort of things, we may be in the right path.

I mean, look at nairaland here. The first time I challenged RichyBlack here and I remembered asking him not to be silly and was acting ignorant, somone came to his defence that I was "insulting somone they respect". It is this sort of mindset that probably prevent Journalist who may want to emulate stuff seen on BBC hardtalk.

Also, there is the issue of "power show".Can anyone imagine the consequences if IBB, Yar'dua and co was interviewed in that manner in Nigeria? It is safe to assume that something terrible will happen to that journalist as a result.

In my opinion, until we move away from traditions and cultural mindset as these, we may never have people who hold who needs questioning accountable.
Re: Hardtalk: Why Can't Nigerian Journalists Interview Like Stephen Sackur? by DisGuy: 2:10pm On Jan 23, 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-386304.0.html

listen to Ojo maduekwue threatening a journalist 'come to nigeria I will show you!' shocked

and you can see people on NL already defending the minister that the question is insulting
where as he could have avoided it and danced around it like most politicians
Re: Hardtalk: Why Can't Nigerian Journalists Interview Like Stephen Sackur? by ElRazur: 2:21pm On Jan 23, 2010
Dis Guy:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-386304.0.html

listen to Ojo maduekwue threatening a journalist 'come to nigeria I will show you!' shocked

and you can see people on NL already defending the minister that the question is insulting
where as he could have avoided it and danced around it like most politicians

I rest my case.

I didn't even see that when I made my post.

Just listening to it now, there is nothing insulting about the questions. All the reporter did was used his past ways to pin him down. All Oju had to do was try and use that chance to set record straight, but he did what most Nairalanders and Nigerians are good for - Thrwo tantrum and insults. What a joke.
Re: Hardtalk: Why Can't Nigerian Journalists Interview Like Stephen Sackur? by ziga: 4:59pm On Jan 23, 2010
No matter how angry you are as a journalist, you shouldn't be prejudiced or talk down on anybody.

As a journalist, you are supposed to bring the facts from an emotion free point of view, just like a judge/lawyer.

You can still make all your points and be firm until your interviewee answers your question.

On the other hand, if you don't use tact in your approach, the interviewee can claim insult and avoid the question all together.
Re: Hardtalk: Why Can't Nigerian Journalists Interview Like Stephen Sackur? by Tsiya(m): 5:29pm On Jan 23, 2010
ziga:

No matter how angry you are as a journalist, you shouldn't be prejudiced or talk down on anybody.

As a journalist, you are supposed to bring the facts from an emotion free point of view, just like a judge/lawyer.

You can still make all your points and be firm until your interviewee answers your question.

On the other hand, if you don't use tact in your approach, the interviewee can claim insult and avoid the question all together.

In the case of OJo, there was no insult or tact needed. The question was clear an unambigous for him to answer. All the points raised by the journalist are valid points.

He served under Abacha and I think as foreign minister. That government was illegal and he went round the world to defend same government that was killing Nigerians in Ogoni, arresting Nigerian politicians (across the whole country), some running away into exile, creating fake bomb plots all in the name to remain in power.

He was PDP parrot during OBJ when they were trying to extend into 3rd term and they worked hard for that but it failed. During that time he used every available opportunity to defend OBJ and the 3rd term agenda.

Now he is a foreign minister again and he claimed he hasn't spoken to the president for the past 60 days. Then who is he representing. The policies of the elected present or he is representing himself.

There is need to vet our politicians. If a person have questionable moral judgement why on earth should he represent your interest outside the country? Mr Ojo is old enough to be my grandfather, but I do not owe my life, nor the life of my family to him. Therefore if he is going to represent my interest as a Nigerian, he have to answer any question directed about his work or personal life and also his judgement.

How on earth will this clown represent our interest in the security council?
Re: Hardtalk: Why Can't Nigerian Journalists Interview Like Stephen Sackur? by lewa(m): 6:15pm On Jan 23, 2010
There are no serious journalists in Nigeria.Only jeunjeun(hungry)ones.With people
like Dele Momodu,how can you have serious,fair and balanced reporters?
They are all flunkies and minions of the thieving elite.
Do you know any? When their bosses are in fact part of the establishment

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News-cabinet Declares Yar’adua Fit To Continue In Office / Farida, Iwu May Go Soon - Col Umar To Take Over Efcc / Buhari Has Many Faults But Is More Trustworthy Than Ibb And Obj

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.