Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,375 members, 7,826,474 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life (634 Views)

Did Your Family Use This Plate & Tray? (Throwback Photo) / Mothers, How Did Your Husband React When You Were In Labour? / How Did Your Marriage End? Any Regrets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by tobechi20(m): 12:28am On Jun 19, 2017
with one of them

1) One man who struggles with low self esteem recalls that his father paid very little attention to him, and that the attention he got was often hurtful. He sill struggles with feelings of failure and the thought that no matter how hard he tries it just isn’t good enough.
His father on the other hand felt that he was motivating his son with positive criticism “for his own good”, and that his lack of affirmation was to keep his son from becoming proud and arrogant. “All I wanted was to help him be the best that he could be. I know my standards were high, but the world is a tough place and I just wanted him to be prepared”. Although his intentions may have been good, the damage he caused would take years to overcome
Re: Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by tobechi20(m): 12:29am On Jun 19, 2017
A lady tells the story about her father who was overprotective. She had very little freedom to go anywhere. If she asked permission to go somewhere there was always a reason why she couldn’t.
3) Another lady tells the story of how her Dad was a workaholic and that there was a lot of tension and conflict in the home. He may have been there physically but he was emotionally unavailable to her. She felt ignored by him. She longed for his attention and approval. She grew up feeling empty, emotionally abandoned, and struggled with low self esteem.
If you ask her how her relationship with her father impacted her she would tell you that she felt she had to grow up too fast, and that she missed out on her childhood. She leaned at an early age to fend for herself and not to ask for help and that she couldn’t trust people especially men, because they would let her down. As a teen she looked for love in all the wrong places and would dress in a way that got attention from guys, but in the end it wasn’t the kind of attention she needed. The whole trajectory of her life was in the wrong direction and she ended up in a lifestyle of promiscuity and addiction.
Re: Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by tobechi20(m): 12:30am On Jun 19, 2017
On a positive note there is a man who describes his dad as being someone he could always talk to. He remembers having all kinds of discussions with him on many different topics. As a kid he felt that he could actually learn from his dad’s mistakes. His dad was not perfect by any means, but at least he was authentic. Even as a kid his dad would ask him for his opinions and his ideas and would listen curiously to what he would have to say. He remembers his dad as having boundaries but also being flexible. If he could come up with a good enough argument for why he should be able to do something he could usually convince his dad, as long as it wasn’t unreasonable. He remembered developing a strategy for picking his battles and not sweating the small stuff.
If you ask how him how his dad impacted his life he would tell you that he learned to think for himself. Despite his shortcomings and failures he felt affirmed and validated as a young man, and that this somehow gave him the “freedom to fail”. He attributes his success in life to this “freedom to fail”.
This man is an confident decision maker and has risen to be a leader in his place of work. At home he loves being a dad. His wife also loves that he can articulate his thoughts and feelings well. Generally speaking he seems to be a happy guy.
Isn’t it interesting how deeply
Re: Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by tobechi20(m): 12:31am On Jun 19, 2017
Isn’t it interesting how deeply our relationship with our fathers impact us?
A good balance between love and discipline is the key to great parenting. Barbara Coloroso describes four parenting styles based on love and discipline. The “jellyfish” parent scores high on love but low on discipline. The “brick wall” parent is like the father in the first example- high on discipline and low on love. The “permissive” parent, like the father in the third example, is low in love and low in discipline. The “backbone” parent represents the ideal. Like the father in the fourth example this parent scores high on love and high on discipline.
Re: Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jun 19, 2017
hmmmm...
Re: Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by Iykmann(m): 2:54pm On Jun 19, 2017
Na only sperm ma papa controbut for me
Re: Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by tobechi20(m): 8:27am On Jun 20, 2017
Iykmann:
Na only sperm ma papa controbut for me

ewoo...that was harsh
Re: Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 20, 2017
My father's wisdom was second to none
Re: Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 20, 2017
My father and I never really spoke like that, he was harsh and beat my mom a lot and was just generally a wicked person even till his death I grew up fearing him and I don't really put him into consideration and his family were terrible people to us when he died. So I don't actually like my dad, I've stopped saying I hate him. I sometimes wish my mom never met him but then again I wouldn't have had this good looks so that's his contribution I guess. But he catered for the family so I will give him props for that but his family took our properties so not sure .......
Re: Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by Iykmann(m): 11:06am On Jun 20, 2017
tobechi20:

ewoo...that was harsh
i can't remember one single thing the did for me
Re: Apart From Finance,what Major Role Did Your Father Play In Your Life by jashar(f): 4:30pm On Jun 20, 2017
He prays for me and gives me Scripture to meditate upon and pray with...

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Finds Out He’ S Not The Father Of ‘his 2 Sons’ Through Dna Test / Smh! 10-year-old Boy Weighs 90kg, Even Eats Toilet Paper (photos) / WOMEN SHOES CLOSEOUT SALES(Wholesale Buyers Only- pix attached)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.