Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,889 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Can A Christian Lose Salvation? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Lose Salvation? (9057 Views)

Can A Born Again Christian Lose His Salvation? / Answered: Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? / Can A Christian Lose His Salvation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:13pm On Jul 04, 2017
IamGeorgie:

YES, IT'S VERY POSSIBLE FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS.
*there are phrases like 'falling away' 'leaving the path of righteousness' 'draw back unto perdition' etc., repeatedly in the Bible.
*You were asked to watch (what are you watching, if not salvation? Why should you watch what can not be stolen?)
*The Bible urged you to strive to make your election sure.

Please, don't let New Generation Grace preachers deceive you. Salvation can be lost.

Way to go! smiley

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:14pm On Jul 04, 2017
IamGeorgie:

There is no such thing as true or fake christian. It's either you're a Christian or not.

True.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:16pm On Jul 04, 2017
Junia:

In our time its about placing your faith in God's finished work.

Those who were before the finished work were looking ahead while we who came after are looking back at the finished work of Christ in faith.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:26pm On Jul 04, 2017
Junia:

Im so sure. The scriptures says so.

That's a risky position to take. Let's see what the Scriptures say:

"Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown" (Revelation 3:11).

Quick fire questions:

1. Who said this (Jesus/Father/Angel)?
2. To whom (Saints/Sinners)?
3. When was this said (To OT/NT Saints)?
4. What were they to hold fast?
5. Was it possible to lose their crown?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 04, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

"Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown" (Revelation 3:11).

Quick fire questions:

1. Who said this (Jesus/Father/Angel)

This has nothing to do with salvation. it is actually talking about the crown we will receive because of our endurance .. faith .. patience .. trails ... obedience etc.

There are different crowns in the bible

1) The Imperishable Crown – ( 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 )
“Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate [disciplined] in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown”

2) The Crown of Rejoicing – (1 Thessalonians 2:19 )
“For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?

3) The Crown of Righteousness – (2 Timothy 4:8 )
“Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.”

4) The Crown of Glory – (1 Peter 5:4 )
“And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.”

5) The Crown of Life – (Revelation 2:10 )
“Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.”

Our walk with God determines which crown we will actually receive.
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by plainbibletruth: 6:31pm On Jul 04, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Quick fire questions:

1. Who said this (Jesus/Father/Angel)?

It was possible for them to lose their "CROWNS"
The question then is 'What does the CROWN stand for?
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by owoleola: 7:58pm On Jul 04, 2017
An2elect2:
Are you born-again?
yes,why did you ask
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by An2elect2(f): 9:06pm On Jul 04, 2017
owoleola:
yes,why did you ask
How did it happen?
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by owoleola: 9:10pm On Jul 04, 2017
An2elect2:
How did it happen?
Tell me why its important you know
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by owoleola: 9:15pm On Jul 04, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

That is the reason why we are enjoined to live holy lives before He returns. smiley
you mean we cannot see God without being HOLY?.......If yes,I will like you to tell,what level of holiness qualifies one to see God?
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by Jennygiveme(f): 9:17pm On Jul 04, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

"Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven" (Luke 10:20).

If Jesus said His Apostles and disciples' names were written in heaven and as a result it was a far greater miracle than casting out demons, who are you to say they were not saved? Have you even experienced the miraculous signs that accompanied them during their evangelical mission? undecided
On teachings like this we should try as much as possible to be precise, and not try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust. We should not try to downplay the death of christ and all it accomplished for us. Since the fall of man, the basis of salvation has always been the death of christ. No one, either prior to the cross or after the cross, would ever be saved. Through the cross the penalty for past and future sins are fully attoned for. The apostles, adam, abraham, moses, david, men and prophets who lived in time past were justified by faith. The requirement for salvation has always been faith in God. And he believed in the lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness (Genesis 15:6). The apostles were saved because they had faith in God through Jesus christ. Faith is the requirement for salvation, the objective of our faith is God, and our salvation is fully giving through the death of christ. If men could be fully saved without His death, there would have been no need for Him to die. And this is our hope today, that christ died for us, he was buried and He rose again the third day.
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by An2elect2(f): 9:59pm On Jul 04, 2017
owoleola:
Tell me why its important you know
You sound sincere that's why. unlike so many proud legalistic folks I've seen here
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by owoleola: 6:00am On Jul 05, 2017
An2elect2:
You sound sincere that's why. unlike so many proud legalistic folks I've seen here
Oh,well I am sincere,Christianity ain't the fantasies we see around
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by benjibabs(m): 6:22am On Jul 05, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
Can a Christian lose salvation? Is there any way that salvation can be lost?

Yes. How? By rejecting Jesus Christ (or by falling away, as some bible versions put it)

Hebrews‬ ‭6:4-6‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
“For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.”
‭‭

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 05, 2017
benjibabs:

Yes. How? By rejecting Jesus Christ (or by falling away, as some bible versions put it)

“For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.”
‭‭

Enlighten means knowing the truth. Its not the same as accepting it.

Tasting the Heavenly gift is not the same as eating or drinking

Being a partaker or partner is not the same as the indwelling of the Spirit
etc ...

This Is a perfect example of Judas.

Along with the other disciples Judas was involved in a supernatural ministry that saw him casting out demons and healing the sick (Mk 6:13). He may have even prophesied in Jesus’ name. Judas tasted the goodness of the word of God but ultimately he rejected it. When he walked out of the first communion he walked out on Jesus. He was basically saying, “No, your blood and your body are not good enough for me.”

He was with them but wasn't saved. Remember Jesus said he was dirty.
We have such people in Church. They will hear and experience the power of God. The Holy Spirit may come upon the several times yet they still don't accept Him

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:37pm On Jul 06, 2017
benjibabs:

‭‭

Way to go! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by plainbibletruth: 3:50pm On Jul 06, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

I will address this when convenient. Thanks for making your point. smiley

Looking forward to your response.
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by Scholar8200(m): 6:03pm On Jul 06, 2017
We are saved by faith through Grace and we stand by faith(Eph 2:8 and 2 corinth 1:24b)...can a Christian lose his faith? and/or can a Christian abandon his faith? If yes, does he remain saved and is he still standing?
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by analice107: 9:57pm On Jul 06, 2017
Jennygiveme:

No sir/ma.. Prior to the cross nobody was saved. I repeat, nobody was saved until after the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus christ.
Okay then.
It's a Ma.
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:42pm On Jul 07, 2017
Jennygiveme:

On teachings like this we should try as much as possible to be precise, and not try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust. We should not try to downplay the death of christ and all it accomplished for us. Since the fall of man, the basis of salvation has always been the death of christ. No one, either prior to the cross or after the cross, would ever be saved. Through the cross the penalty for past and future sins are fully attoned for. The apostles, adam, abraham, moses, david, men and prophets who lived in time past were justified by faith. The requirement for salvation has always been faith in God. And he believed in the lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness (Genesis 15:6). The apostles were saved because they had faith in God through Jesus christ. Faith is the requirement for salvation, the objective of our faith is God, and our salvation is fully giving through the death of christ. If men could be fully saved without His death, there would have been no need for Him to die. And this is our hope today, that christ died for us, he was buried and He rose again the third day.

plainbibletruth:

Looking forward to your response.

owoleola:

you mean we cannot see God without being HOLY?.......If yes,I will like you to tell,what level of holiness qualifies one to see God?

An2elect2:

I couldn't have given a better response than the article/devotional posted below:

Daily Manna
THURSDAY, JULY 6, 2017

FOR SONS AND STRANGERS

TEXT: NUMBERS 15:22-29

"Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them" (Numbers 15:29).

A discussion with an average Christian today about what grace means will leave you startled as to how modern Christianity has misrepresented the grace of God. Most people who profess religion believe God's grace excludes them from the dos and don'ts of life. They take the grace of God as a license to continue a life of sin. On the contrary, God, whether in the Old Testament or in the New, has never given any exception to righteous living. The standard He expected of sons, he also expected of strangers.

Some self-styled believers live as if certain biblical principles and doctrines do not apply to them. There are others who think that if they do not believe in the existence of God, they may be exonerated from His judgments at the end of life.

Ignorance, whether deliberate or sincere, is never an excuse to break any law. Bible truths are universal and apply to everyone, regardless of race, colour or creed. What commandments are good for sons were also good for strangers in Moses' law. The same standard that is required of sons is likewise required of strangers. This is because there is only one heaven and only one hell. One standard of holiness is required to enter into heaven, no matter the time or dispensation we are in. But who were the 'strangers' the law was referring to? They are the Gentiles who would later become partakers of God's grace in the new covenant. Oh the faithfulness and the loving kindness of God!

Do you feel like a stranger to salvation and the grace of God? He has provided a conversion process through which strangers are made sons. This began at Calvary, when Jesus died. Be wise and take advantage of God’s provision, and accept His prescription, in order to gain eternal life.

Bible Reading in one Year: GENESIS 17-20

Higher Everyday for Youths - Link: http://highereveryday.dclmhq.org/

Thought for the day: God's grace that begets salvation is available to all

See more HERE:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:00pm On Jul 07, 2017
Junia:

This has nothing to do with salvation. it is actually talking about the crown we will receive because of our endurance .. faith .. patience .. trails ... obedience etc.

There are different crowns in the bible

1) The Imperishable Crown – ( 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 )
“Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate [disciplined] in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown”

2) The Crown of Rejoicing – (1 Thessalonians 2:19 )
“For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?

3) The Crown of Righteousness – (2 Timothy 4:8 )
“Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.”

4) The Crown of Glory – (1 Peter 5:4 )
“And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.”

5) The Crown of Life – (Revelation 2:10 )
“Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.”

Our walk with God determines which crown we will actually receive.

Good. Let's consider more verses in the book of Revelation:

"He that overcomes, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before His angels" (Revelation 3:5).

Question: If a Christian rejects Christ and doesn't overcome sin, would his/her name remain in the book of life? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by olubuffett: 6:57pm On Jul 07, 2017
Unrepented sin will make one lose salvation.

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
Hebrews 12:14 KJV

There's lots of errors in the present day churches, where people think once saved, forever saved.

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Romans 6:1‭-‬2 KJV

The fact is the world has entered the church and it's having a field day people don't even know the difference any more the so call leaders are all about ABC ( attendance building cash).

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:58pm On Jul 07, 2017
olubuffett:

Unrepented sin will make one lose salvation.

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
Hebrews 12:14 KJV

There's lots of errors in the present day churches, where people think once saved, forever saved.

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Romans 6:1‭-‬2 KJV

The fact is the world has entered the church and it's having a field day people don't even know the difference any more the so call leaders are all about ABC ( attendance building cash).

The picture below shows how folks have been "abusing grace" cool

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by Nobody: 12:49am On Jul 08, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Good. Let's consider more verses in the book of Revelation:

"He that overcomes, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before His angels" (Revelation 3:5).

Question: If a Christian rejects Christ and doesn't overcome sin, would his/her name remain in the book of life? undecided
A Christian cannot reject Christ. No Christian does that. Unless you don't know who a Christian is.

Now consider this.
A Christian is righteous.
How ? .. he had faith in Jesus.

A Christian is an overcomer.

1 John 5:4
For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith.

Our faith in Jesus makes us overcomers.
So though we are here, we have overcome so our names will never be blotted out.
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:55am On Jul 08, 2017
Junia:

A Christian cannot reject Christ. No Christian does that. Unless you don't know who a Christian is.

Who was Christ speaking to in the verse I quoted (Rev. 3:5)? Christians or non Christians?

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 08, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Who was Christ speaking to in the verse I quoted (Rev. 3:5)? Christians or non Christians?
Christians.
He wants us to put our faith in Him.

Now consider this.

For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we
achieve this victory through our faith.

So though we are here, we have overcome so our names
will never be blotted out.
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by owoleola: 12:30pm On Jul 08, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

I couldn't have given a better response than the article/devotional posted below:

If this is still valid,Jesus wasted His time and precious blood,dying for people whose salvation still depends on them. Come to think of it,you were called a sinner before you came to this world,outside your choices or opinions or will,why do you then think your choice now matters to be saved. You see,many people don't know God for what He is but what they want Him to be,thereby making themselves gods,and God,a product of their will,God forbid. And for your info,a child of God who is of course born of God cannot sin and does not sin,so I don't know where you see this as a license to somebody who CANNOT do it.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2017
Junia:

Christians.
He wants us to put our faith in Him.

Now consider this.

For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we
achieve this victory through our faith.

So though we are here, we have overcome so our names
will never be blotted out.

Becoming a Christian is not the end of the battle it is just the beginning. There are still the battle of faith to fight before we become overcomers. Let no one deceive you that the battle is over until you win. We get saved by grace, we continue to live the Christian life by grace and we end the Christian life by grace which is through faith. The question is would you continue to overcome if you lose your faith in Christ?

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:17pm On Jul 08, 2017
owoleola:

If this is still valid,Jesus wasted His time and precious blood,dying for people whose salvation still depends on them. Come to think of it,you were called a sinner before you came to this world,outside your choices or opinions or will,why do you then think your choice now matters to be saved. You see,many people don't know God for what He is but what they want Him to be,thereby making themselves gods,and God,a product of their will,God forbid. And for your info,a child of God who is of course born of God cannot sin and does not sin,so I don't know where you see this as a license to somebody who CANNOT do it.

Here is another article/devotional for you to peruse on. Read the text on the hyperlinks for better understanding. smiley

Daily Manna
FRIDAY, JULY 7, 2017

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

TEXT: GENESIS 6:8-22

"These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God" (Genesis 6:9).

Many times, we complain that the world around us is so corrupt that it is nigh impossible to live righteously at all times. But we overlook the power of grace in our lives. The expectation of God is that we must strive to be different. The earth in which Noah lived was a cesspool of corruption populated by sinful men who forgot their Maker. It was an earth in which men did according to their sinful lusts, glorying in corrupt practices and abominations. But Noah chose to be a just, perfect man in his generation (Genesis 6:9).

The earth was so sinful, God decided to destroy it and all its inhabitants with the first flood in human history. But Noah who humbled his heart to follow God, despite the corrupt influence of the world around him, "found grace in the eyes of the Lord" (Genesis 6:8.). While the Lord decreed the judgement of the flood on the world, He perfected the plan of salvation and deliverance for Noah and his household. He also sealed it with a covenant. Noah responded to God's command to prepare an ark with architectural specifications. He also passed the message to his family, which they promptly obeyed and were saved. Noah's obedience also affected his possessions which survived in pairs. At the end of the day, Noah was not only saved, but was blessed also with abundance and honour.

We must cling unto the Lord, no matter the push or pull of the world to compromise our faith. We must consciously decide not to be swayed by the fads and fancies of this age. We must allow the grace of God to keep us righteous even in this corrupt and sinful world.

Bible Reading in one Year: GENESIS 21-23

Higher Everyday for Youths - Link: http://highereveryday.dclmhq.org/

Thought for the day: The wisest people on earth are those whose habitation is the LORD

See more HERE:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 08, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Becoming a Christian is not the end of the battle it is just the beginning. There are still the battle of faith to fight before we become overcomers. Let no one deceive you that the battle is over until you win. We get saved by grace, we continue to live the Christian life by grace and we end the Christian life by grace which is through faith. The question is would you continue to overcome if you lose your faith in Christ?
No Christian will lose his or her faith in Christ.

For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith.

Check the scripture again.
It says "every child of God"

Even the one who became a child of God just this moment.
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by plainbibletruth: 10:44pm On Jul 08, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Since sin is "whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it" James 2:10 THEN even ONE SIN disqualifies anyonefrom claiming a sin-free life.

In other words, a person who fails to KEEP one single command of God is GUILTY of sin.

SIN is not just murder, adultery, lying, and obvious sins that people usually look at. SIN is both a nature and exists even in thought - "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Matt. 5:28.

For example, how many Christians can HONESTLY CLAIM to obey Philippians 2: 3-4 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."

Now, if a Christian FAILS to obey Phil. 2: 3-4 will he be eventually saved?
Re: Can A Christian Lose Salvation? by orunto27: 8:22am On Jul 09, 2017
Not when you become Born Again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Islamic Angels Are Wiser / Eckanker And Soul Travel / What Is Your Personal Life Motto?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.