Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong (2528 Views)

12 Contrasting attitudes Many Nigerian Men Exhibit In Marriage.Right or Wrong / Ladies Breastfeeding Baby In Public. Right Or Wrong? / Couples Hiding Their Earnings From Each Other, Right Or Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 3:31pm On Jun 20, 2017
Hi everyone, my 20 month old baby girl uses her left hand 2 do everything, as 4 me, i do not really count it but beleive me, people around me has bn complaining,telling me there are many superstition about people using left especially for girls(don't beleive them though).
Lately my husband has bn complainin n beleive i shld b d one 2 correct her as d mother.
A friend told me there brain is on the left side n that if i should try n correct her it can affect her sense of reasoning and even academically.
Nairalanders pls educate me more so as to know the right thing 2 do.
NOTE: She uses left hand 2 eat and collect things. She's so used 2 it.
Help a concerned mother pls, she is my second child.
Thanks, we shall all eat the fruits of our labour.
cc: Lalasticlala
mynd44
seun

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by QueenSuccubus(f): 3:36pm On Jun 20, 2017
I dunno about ur beliefs but in my country, those left handed (male/female) are being praised..they more likely to be intelligent, quiet & unique.. grin

But i dunno if there is any scientific studies about left handed person..

11 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by LordCrimson(m): 3:43pm On Jun 20, 2017
If you try forcing that kid to be right handed,It'll end up affecting him psychologically!!

8 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by chigoziri2403(m): 3:48pm On Jun 20, 2017
you are lucky to have such a daughter,watch her grow to a talented lady,
Just ignore the negative comments, and defend her everytime

11 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by UnknownT: 3:53pm On Jun 20, 2017
Nothing wrong with her using left hand. You can train her to be ambidextrous instead of enforcing her to switch to the righ hand only

9 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 3:58pm On Jun 20, 2017
QueenSuccubus:
I dunno about ur beliefs but in my country, those left handed (male/female) are being praised..they more likely to be intelligent, quiet & unique.. grin

But i dunno if there is any scientific studies about left handed person..
i do not and will never believe any superstition. I just want 2 knw the right thing 2 do.
Thank u sis
Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jun 20, 2017
I beg, allow the girl!!
My sisters are all left-handed, beautiful and smart.

I baby-sitted all of them with the instruction to stop the left hand. All of us did and nothing happened.

Psychologically, You even risk causing her some sort of trauma or complex...like each time you have to happen on her with a loud yell to stop...this can get automated for her...and she grows a paranoid and insecure person....

If you are what you claim to be, you would have done a research to arrive at a conclusion which would portray your lot (u n hubby) as superstitious indeed!

14 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 4:00pm On Jun 20, 2017
LordCrimson:
If you try forcing that kid to be right handed,It'll end up affecting him psychologically!!
hmmm, still learning.
Thanks bro
Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 4:01pm On Jun 20, 2017
chigoziri2403:
you are lucky to have such a daughter,watch her grow to a talented lady,

Just ignore the negative comments, and defend her everytime
thanks bro
Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by iamdotune(m): 4:02pm On Jun 20, 2017
I don't see anything wrong, I use the left hand for almost everything it's just like using the right hand, it's very nice especially when brushing your tooth it feels more comfortable to use than the right hand, the only thing I use my right hand for is to write and eat

And yeah.. every left handed person I know are usually intelligent

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by jashar(f): 4:08pm On Jun 20, 2017
iamdotune:
I don't see anything wrong, I use the left hand for almost everything it's just like using the right hand, it's very nice especially when brushing your tooth it feels more comfortable to use than the right hand, the only thing I use my right hand for is to write and eat

And yeah.. every left handed person I know are usually intelligent

Are you ambidextrous? smiley

@ OP, madam, free the girl. She is unique. Don't you know that only about 10% of the World's Population are left-handed?

2 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by iamdotune(m): 4:10pm On Jun 20, 2017
jashar:

Are you ambidextrous? smiley

@ OP, madam, free the girl. She is unique. Don't you know that only about 10% of the World's Population are left-handed?

Lol yeah I'm
Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 4:14pm On Jun 20, 2017
Thank u all bt honestly i still wish the doctors in the house can give us medical explanation.
Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by jashar(f): 4:15pm On Jun 20, 2017
iamdotune:
Lol yeah I'm

awwhhhh!!!!!! so touching cry..... that's so cool smiley
Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by TheeDetective: 4:54pm On Jun 20, 2017
@OP PLEASE AND PLEASE LEAVE THAT CHILD ALONE . IT IS NOT WRITTEN ANYWHERE THAT THE HAND YOU USE MUST BE YOUR RIGHT HAND. THE HAND YOU USE IS WHAT YOUR BRAIN TELLS YOU TO USE. IF YOUR BRAIN TELLS YOU TO USE YOUR RIGHT HAND, THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL USE AND IF IT SAYS LEFT THEN YOU WILL USE YOUR LEFT. IF YOU TRY TO CORRECT THE CHILD YOU WILL END UP MESSING UP THE CHILD PSYCHOLOGICALLY. THIS CAN ALSO HAVE AN IMPACT ACADEMICALLY AS WELL I.E THE CHILD MAY BECOME SLOW AT LEARNING. ALL THE LEFT-HANDED PEOPLE I KNOW ARE VERY INTELLIGENT AND HIGH ACHIEVERS; SAME WITH RIGHT-HANDED PEOPLE WHICH SHOWS THAT IRRESPECTIVE OF THE HAND YOU USE, IT WOULDN’T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO ONES LIFE. ONCE AGAIN, LEAVE THAT CHILD ALONE angry. I purposely typed in caps to show you the seriousness of what can happen if you try and change the use of her left hand to her right hand completely. If you are so worried, then train her to use both her right and left hand equally well to become ambidextrous rather than stop her completely from using the hand that her brain tells her to use. Don't say you weren't warned (no offence and hope no taken); ENOUGH SAID.

7 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Sarang(f): 5:32pm On Jun 20, 2017
And am here learning how to use left hand. I sort of find it unique.

1 Like

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Cuddlebugie(f): 6:16pm On Jun 20, 2017
Contrary to popular belief, not all left-handers are intelligent or smart......

That said, please do not force the poor child to use her right hand. It's not her fault she's lefthander. Yes, we live in a right-handed world and there's bias against left-handed people but don't let what people say or do get to you.

Growing up was something else as my learned parents (mum in particular) thought it offensive to do anything with your left hand besides wipe your assss. She'd force me to hold stuffs and write with my right hand. I ended up in the middle. I'd use my right hand when she's around and switch to the left when she isn't. That was how i became ambidextrous. I still favour my left hand while washing or holding stuffs. I just can't help it. You need to see my handwriting, it looks like a chicken's scratch. I blame my mum for that.

The moral of the boring story is, don't try to change her. Allow her develop in her own way. Forcing her to change hands may have very bad effects in later life as well as being traumatic at the time and ruining her handwriting

6 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Ishilove: 7:44pm On Jun 20, 2017
Ayantoyeopeyem:
Thank u all bt honestly i still wish the doctors in the house can give us medical explanation.
Cc Thorpido, Evilbrain, eyinjuege, goodheart02 and all the doctors in the house.
Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by NwaAmaikpe: 8:01pm On Jun 20, 2017
shocked

The 20months baby is obviously recalcitrant if she won't take corrections from her parents....meaning she will be difficult to teach as an adult.

You don't have a single problem with your daughter being left-handed but others do, so you really need to satisfy those people and it's getting you worried that your daughter won't comply.

It's so easy....
Since you are more concerned about what other people think, when your daughter is sleeping; cut off her left hand.

Then give it to those people and explain to them that your daughter couldn't become right-handed or ambidextrous so you had to do this to show you had really tried as her mom.

23 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by sisisioge: 8:20pm On Jun 20, 2017
There's nothing wrong with your kid. Pls don't mess her up by making her rearrange her bearing.

By the way, as a concerned mother, why don't you read up on left-handed people? Don't depend too much on themsay themsay.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by ifyalways(f): 8:21pm On Jun 20, 2017
NwaAmaikpe is totally crazy cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 8:56pm On Jun 20, 2017
Thanks all, at least i'v bn able 2 acheive what i want frm all d comments.
As 4 those that think im condeming d act, No i'm nt. I just want 2 knw d right thin 2 do.
Thanks
Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Ayantoyeopeyem(f): 9:01pm On Jun 20, 2017
Ishilove:

Cc Thorpido, Evilbrain, eyinjuege, goodheart02 and all the doctors in the house.
Thank sis.
Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Evablizin(f): 9:02pm On Jun 20, 2017
Nothing is wrong dear
Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by otokx(m): 9:18pm On Jun 20, 2017
In this year and time

1 Like

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by eyinjuege: 9:51pm On Jun 20, 2017
Please just leave the child with her left hand.
Forcing her to change may just disrupt her whole system and you don't want that.

3 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by omotuntun: 10:16pm On Jun 20, 2017
OMG see what I always wished for...

I have been praying that my kids should be lefty....

O God grant all my kids to be a left handed God please..

Lord please

Amen

@op please leave that kid forget all those trash people are saying, they should keep the superstition nonsense. Some might even be jealous.

2 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Mumben(f): 10:51pm On Jun 20, 2017
Op, please let d girl be. My son is 5yrs+ and left handed. Initially i wanted to change him but it was not working, he does everytn wt left. I googled left handedness and discovered its wired from d brain,there's notin u can do about it. My son is very intelligent and unique and i love him just the way He is.

4 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by lepasharon(f): 4:27am On Jun 21, 2017
Do Nigerians realise their is nothing wrong with being left- handed?!

1 Like

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Nobody: 4:52am On Jun 21, 2017
na wa oo..wen left hand become crime again? i even love left handed pple especially footballers

1 Like

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Nobody: 5:39am On Jun 21, 2017
There's nothing to be superstitious about in being left-handed. Nigerians and ignorance, smh.

2 Likes

Re: My 1yr 8month Old Baby Uses Left Hand. Right Or Wrong by Emodeee: 7:12am On Jun 21, 2017
vector the viper is left handed, listen to his songs and discover he his a fvcking genius. abi who don do 2hours freestyle for naija? them no born themcheesy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Inform My Mother About My Relationship? / For Men Only: The Silent Pains Of A Husband / Should I Keep Waiting For My Husband Or Re-marry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.