Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,420 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. (13033 Views)

Car Maintenance: 5 Useful Tips Every Car Owner Should Know About / INNOSON IKENGA: Innoson To Unveil New Car Named After Dr Dozie Ikedife / Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Beess(m): 7:44am On Jun 29, 2017
There
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Odeyinigbin(m): 7:45am On Jun 29, 2017
timifakay:
Practice good maintenance; to be carried out by knowledgeable mechanic. Note every light on your dashboard to understand what they mean.
Have up to date vehicle documents: vehicle license, road worthiness cert and its back up, proof of ownership, insurance certificate and your driver's license at all times.
Spare tyre, Jack, Jack wrench, wheel Spanner, caution sign, fire extinguisher, rag.
Contact a mechanic anytime you notice unusual handling or sound.
Check oil and coolant (radiator water) level daily and take note of your tyre pressure.
By the way, stating car model will help other users give you peculiarities of the car.

Wat of Custom duty?
Very important
No just drive ur car without custom duty
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Sirlegendy(m): 7:48am On Jun 29, 2017
Don't forget to switch your ignition on whenever you want to start the car.. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Congrat Bro

1 Like

Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by johneg: 7:48am On Jun 29, 2017
NOTED SIR.
eezeribe:
Always carry along with you,Fire extinguisher,hydraulic jack and spare tyre.
Always make sure you check your radiator,oil gauge,fuel gauge and tyres before zooming off in the morning.
You need to edit the title of your post and mention the mods,so it can get to front page.
ACCEPT MY SINCERE CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW CAR.
IT IS JUST THE BEGINNING OF GOOD THINGS TO COME.
lalasticlala,Mynd44
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by lonelydora: 7:50am On Jun 29, 2017
Juni4jay:
Hi house.
I just bought a new car, which is my first. Pls what should I always take note of or do regularly to get the best out of the car, thanks
Awaiting your kinds response!!.
Cheers!!.
lalasticlala
Mynd44

Once your Check engine light pops up, run a scan before working on any stuff
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by litaninja(m): 8:00am On Jun 29, 2017
Please don't check your coolant level daily. The seal around the radiator cover will wear out from the constant checks and eventually start to let pressure and coolant put.
What should be done is to ensure your cooling system is in good order to ensure that the coolant level does not go low. I end up checking my coolant level maybe 3 or 4 times in the entire year & its just fine. Of course, you may flush the radiator once a year as well.
Cheers

timifakay:
Practice good maintenance; to be carried out by knowledgeable mechanic. Note every light on your dashboard to understand what they mean.
Have up to date vehicle documents: vehicle license, road worthiness cert and its back up, proof of ownership, insurance certificate and your driver's license at all times.
Spare tyre, Jack, Jack wrench, wheel Spanner, caution sign, fire extinguisher, rag.
Contact a mechanic anytime you notice unusual handling or sound.
Check oil and coolant (radiator water) level daily and take note of your tyre pressure.
By the way, stating car model will help other users give you peculiarities of the car.
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Horlufemi(m): 8:06am On Jun 29, 2017
Juni4jay:

Noted boss.
It's a Honda CRV 2004 model

My dream car. I love the car for it's modesty

1 Like

Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Nwaiberibe: 8:06am On Jun 29, 2017
Have go-slow in mind. It's inevitable
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by greggng: 8:07am On Jun 29, 2017
humilitypays:
Expect some repairs from time to time; such as body flashing as Okada/Keke/danfo/kolo drivers scratches your car with abeg, ejoor angry angry

Make sure your car papers are in tact to avoid feeding hungry Police Officers.

Get a drivers license.

Don't forget servicing, depending on how frequent you use the car, don't wait till it breaks down before u go for servicing.

Don't patronize all road side mechanics, ask people close to u driving same car to recommend their mechanic and stick to him for good health of your car.

Buy car bluetooth mp3 so u won't be driving and answering call with one hand; it's risky but with car bluetooth with mp3, u can enjoy music, radio and still answer your call by pressing one button. It will save u from LASTMA finessmiley

Before u move your car in the morning, check your tyres, boot, and papers, drive safelysmiley

How much is the bluetooth mp3 device and were can I get it? Can it work in my toyota drop light?
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by SeniorZato(m): 8:12am On Jun 29, 2017
Make sure u park the car inside ur bedroom at night while u sleep outside for security reasons

1 Like

Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by RELAN2446(m): 8:22am On Jun 29, 2017
Make sure u do d watching at least twice a week, nd don't over speed. This all i ve as someone dat ve never gotten a car.
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by 3kay945(m): 8:44am On Jun 29, 2017
godwinony:
My own advice: Don't drive your car on that ejigbo road that was on FP yesterday..it is tantamount to car abuse. Tenk tongue

I used that road last weekend. I Felt sorry for the car

1 Like

Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Dcaliphate(m): 8:51am On Jun 29, 2017
expect a lorry load of dms and private messages from NL babes
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by unitedsurv: 9:16am On Jun 29, 2017
first thing first try hitting a pole on acceleration to confirm if your airbag is still intact because hmm I dont trust Nigerians o
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by humilitypays(m): 10:02am On Jun 29, 2017
greggng:

How much is the bluetooth mp3 device and were can I get it? Can it work in my toyota drop light?
it works on every car or vehicle so long as the car has a port for charging phone or lighting cigarette.

Search for it on jumia, konga, jiji, olx u will see diff varieties
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by luvlymabel: 10:34am On Jun 29, 2017
Evans revenge in mind..... don't mind me meoo thunder fire Evans and co.
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Mishydoo(m): 10:36am On Jun 29, 2017
Honda and Tire rod issues...please have a mobile mechanic on speed dail and be concious of sounds from the wheels.

You need a duct tape, to hold parts of ur car together till u get help in case u get hit
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by chiefbuchiV12(m): 10:37am On Jun 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Always have a condom in your car....you never can tell when you encounter a quiçkie.

Always have a bodyspray....you might want to make a good impression and your armpits aren't cooperative.

Always have a penknife..... You might be trapped in your seat belt and it comes handy.

Always have a spare cloth and shoes in your trunk....in case you don't return home for 3months like that Pharmacist.
Best response ever.......
Don't forget to always have enough cash with you, our police can smell a new car from miles
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by mecussey(m): 11:21am On Jun 29, 2017
Juni4jay:
Hi house.
I just bought a new car, which is my first. Pls what should I always take note of or do regularly to get the best out of the car, thanks
Awaiting your kinds response!!.
Cheers!!.
lalasticlala
Mynd44

Just confirm police and frsn and lasma needs thats all.
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by timifakay(m): 11:25am On Jun 29, 2017
litaninja:
Please don't check your coolant level daily. The seal around the radiator cover will wear out from the constant checks and eventually start to let pressure and coolant put.
What should be done is to ensure your cooling system is in good order to ensure that the coolant level does not go low. I end up checking my coolant level maybe 3 or 4 times in the entire year & its just fine. Of course, you may flush the radiator once a year as well.
Cheers

Reservoirs have Minimum and maximum marks which can be used to monitor coolant level to avoid frequent opening of radiator.

Odeyinigbin:

Wat of Custom duty?
Very important
No just drive ur car without custom duty

Under normal circumstances that's not necessary because if customs duty isn't paid, it's the fault of importer/ seller not user/ buyer and Customs should be tracing it to them instead of extorting users.
Besides customs check points are on nterstate highways.
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by mecussey(m): 11:26am On Jun 29, 2017
eezeribe:
Always carry along with you,Fire extinguisher,hydraulic jack and spare tyre.
Always make sure you check your radiator,oil gauge,fuel gauge and tyres before zooming off in the morning.
You need to edit the title of your post and mention the mods,so it can get to front page.
ACCEPT MY SINCERE CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW CAR.
IT IS JUST THE BEGINNING OF GOOD THINGS TO COME.
lalasticlala,Mynd44

You talking like someone who suffered with an old car. Why will I check all this before moving a my vehicle? I only do that when I want to travel or go long distance. A good car is always in good shape and if fails without reason then devil put hand for ur garri. Otherwise, your dashboard should show all alarm unless u neglated.
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by mecussey(m): 11:28am On Jun 29, 2017
Juni4jay:
Noted boss. It's a Honda CRV 2004 model
The only thing i am afraid of here is suspension...for Honda, I no trust am.
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Juni4jay(m): 1:47pm On Jun 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Always have a condom in your car....you never can tell when you encounter a quiçkie.

Always have a bodyspray....you might want to make a good impression and your armpits aren't cooperative.

Always have a penknife..... You might be trapped in your seat belt and it comes handy.

Always have a spare cloth and shoes in your trunk....in case you don't return home for 3months like that Pharmacist.
Lmfao!!.
You have a point though. Tnx
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Juni4jay(m): 1:52pm On Jun 29, 2017
Allylic:
Congrats guy...more to come...always check ur tyres and study all dose lights
Tnx a whole lot. Wish u d vry best. Cheers!!.
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Primenet(m): 1:53pm On Jun 29, 2017
Don't keep any bad object like knife inside your car because of stop and search Police on the highway.
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Juni4jay(m): 2:07pm On Jun 29, 2017
Primenet:
Don't keep any bad object like knife inside your car because of stop and search Police on the highway.
Tnx Mahn. Well Noted!!.
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Jman3(m): 3:43pm On Jun 29, 2017
Dear Friend, read the owners manual thoroughly and make a habit of referring to it when you are not sure of correct operating procedures/processes. Eg Use the recommended engine oil, brake oil, transmission oil, know the optimal operating conditions and harsh conditions etc.
A lot of actions we take on our vehicles are kicked against in the manual.

Enjoy!
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Allylic(f): 8:42pm On Jun 29, 2017
Juni4jay:

Tnx a whole lot. Wish u d vry best. Cheers!!.
....uw
Re: Things To Have In Mind As A New Car Owner. by Juni4jay(m): 10:25pm On Jun 29, 2017
chiefbuchiV12:

Best response ever.......
Don't forget to always have enough cash with you, our police can smell a new car from miles
Lmfao... Ur own no gud o.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sales Of Steering Lock Double As Drivers Go Low-Tech To Beat Hi‑Tech Car Thieves / Please Help Me With The Location 'vehicle Speed Sensor A' On 2000 Sienna - P0500 / Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.