Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,111 members, 7,818,317 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

The Mid-life Crisis. - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Mid-life Crisis. (20367 Views)

BBNaija: Praise & Ka3na Caught On Camera Knacking In The Mid-Night / A Nairalander Weds Amid Coronavirus Crisis / Toasting A Huge Mid 40s Lady While I'm Mid 30s.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 07, 2017
Toks2008:

You need to think outside the box....

According to wiki...A midlife crisis is a transition of identity and self-confidence that can occur in
middle aged individuals. It is a psychological and behavioral observation that commonly occurs with individuals between the ages 45–64...... *Its observations differ in a diverse manner for each individual.

But this write up creatively expressed another type of mid life crises in our romance with the opposite sex...and not the contemporary definition you are used to
you should have named it something else, mid life crisis is midlife crisis, you cannot redefine it.

4 Likes

Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 11:36pm On Jul 07, 2017
SecondEva:
you should have named it something else, mid life crisis is midlife crisis, you cannot redefine it.

This is exactly why we lag behind in Africa....who actually defined it?

It may blow your mind that the original definition is so wrong because life expectancy is about 70 years on the average and of course many die younger than that so shouldn't it be from ages 30 to 40?

You see why I wrote that until we learn to think outside the box we may forever be enslaved in the ideology of a fellow human like us

When I first used the word mid-life crisis I had no clue that it ever existed in the dictionary and I applied it when I was counseling a couple and as an individual with a cognitive ability to create words,I will stick to my application in relation to romantic affairs regardless of a universally acceptable dogma.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Fearlez: 11:51pm On Jul 07, 2017
Toks2008:

You need to think outside the box....

According to wiki...A midlife crisis is a transition of identity and self-confidence that can occur in
middle aged individuals. It is a psychological and behavioral observation that commonly occurs with individuals between the ages 45–64...... *Its observations differ in a diverse manner for each individual.

But this write up creatively expressed another type of mid life crises in our romance with the opposite sex...and not the contemporary definition you are used to
Let me sail along with the import of your thread. So according to your "thinking outside the box", a girl as young as 20 is already in her midlife of romance? When did she start dating? 10?

1 Like

Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Fearlez: 11:55pm On Jul 07, 2017
SecondEva:
Toks for kuku do law with this brazen rigmarole
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 11:56pm On Jul 07, 2017
Fearlez:
Let me sail along with the import of your thread. So according to your thinking outside the box, a girl in as young as 20 is already in her midlife of romance? When did she start dating? 10?

A lady becomes an adult at 18 and at 20 to 25 she usually feels the world is hers and commitment talks to her at that stage is baldadash. ..any guy trying to pin her down at that point might be faced with her rebellious act..then as she gradually approaches age 30,she begins to see the need to calm down her nerves and that inner crisis begins to dwindle and a lady who feels she is unstoppable at 23 suddenly sees the need to settle down at 31....
and please what gragra does a 50year old lady wants to do again? if a lady adulthood starts at 18 and at 50 she is considered old enough does it not make logical sense that the mid life of her romantic life should be from 20 to 30?

How is this hard for you to understand...let me stop here.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 12:04am On Jul 08, 2017
Fearlez:
Toks for kuku do law with this brazen rigmarole

If I could I would go into law cos I can prove myself in almost any situation and if you are not very intelligent you will be forced to hate me.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Fearlez: 12:06am On Jul 08, 2017
Toks2008:

A lady becomes an adult at 18 and at 20 to 25 she usually feels the world is hers and commitment talks to her at that stage is baldadash. ..any guy trying to pin her down at that point might be faced with her rebellious act..then as she gradually approaches age 30,she begins to see the need to calm down her nerves and that inner crisis begins to dwindle and a lady who feels she is unstoppable at 23 suddenly sees the need to settle down at 31....
and please what gragra does a 50year old lady wants to do again? if a lady adulthood starts at 18 and at 50 she is considered old enough dies it not make logical sense that the mid life of her romantic life should be from 20 to 30?

How is this hard for you to understand...let me stop here.
here's an excerpt from your thread: In any romantic union,the mid life crisis in a man is usually from age 30 to 50 while that of a lady is from age 20 to 30

Midlife crisis is a completely wrong allusion. That's my take.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 12:11am On Jul 08, 2017
Fearlez:
here's an excerpt from your thread: In any romantic union,the mid life crisis in a man is usually from age 30 to 50 while that of a lady is from age 20 to 30

Midlife crisis is a completely wrong allusion. That's my take.

Do you really understand the so called universally acceptable definition ?

Go read again and you will see that I'm 100% right if I choose to apply an age range cos the age varies just as I also pointed out

If I were you I would discuss the contextual application rather than bother my head over what a mortal like you wrote as their definition.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Fearlez: 12:12am On Jul 08, 2017
Toks2008:

This is exactly why we lag behind in Africa....who actually defined it?

It may blow your mind that the original definition is so wrong because life expectancy is about 70 years on the average and of course many die younger than that so shouldn't it be from ages 30 to 40?

You see why I wrote that until we learn to think outside the box we may forever be enslaved in the ideology of a fellow human like us

When I first used the word mid-life crisis I had no clue that it ever existed in the dictionary and I applied it when I was counseling a couple and as an individual with a cognitive ability to create words,I will stick to my application in relation to romantic affairs regardless of a universally acceptable dogma.
Hilarious! Life expectancy varies from country to country and even if goes down to 60 years, a 30 year old man doesn't have symptoms of mid life crisis in testosterone depletion, neither does a woman of 20 start having menopause.

You just admitted you didn't know midlife is in the dictionary, and that's why you're abusing its usage and application here.

2 Likes

Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Fearlez: 12:15am On Jul 08, 2017
Toks2008:

Do you really understand the so called universally acceptable definition ?

Go read again and you will see that I'm 100% right if I choose to apply an age range cos the age varies just as I also pointed out

If I were you I would discuss the contextual application rather than bother my head over what a mortal like you wrote as their definition.
Your title : "Midlife crisis" is not only misleading but utterly wrong. Saying a girl is in the midlife of her romantic affairs at 25 is also wrong..

If you wrote this for an editor in a newspaper, he will edit out your tittle.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 12:20am On Jul 08, 2017
Fearlez:
Hilarious! Life expectancy varies from country to country and even if goes down to 60 years, a 30 year old man doesn't have symptoms of mid life crisis in testosterone depletion, neither does a woman of 20 start having menopause.

You just admitted you didn't know midlife is in the dictionary, and that's why you're abusing its usage and application here.

The problem is that you are one of those who read titles without the objectivity of assimilating the contents.

The midlife crises in romantic affairs as applied in my write up is never the same with what you still have in your head and until you learn to think outside the box,you will never be emancipated from intellectual slavery.

Odaro
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Fearlez: 12:37am On Jul 08, 2017
Toks2008:

The problem is that you are one of those who read titles without the objectivity of assimilating the contents.

The midlife crises in romantic affairs as applied in my write up is never the same with what you still have in your head and until you learn to think outside the box,you will never be emancipated from intellectual slavery.

Odaro
Oga done dey get emotional grin

Your title was " The Mid-life crisis" which is a universal word describing people in their 40s and beyond.

Then you went on to say a girl in her 20s is already experiencing Mid-life crisis in romantic life!

Your penmanship is organically crappy and your power for metaphors and allusion is inferior to a senior secondary school student.

Two words for you: boldness and ignorance; you have them in abundance!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Nobody: 12:41am On Jul 08, 2017
I kind of understood where op is going with this although he just abused a recognised term and completely flipped it on it's head.

Let say you used the term creatively and gave it a new definition in the context of "romance life cycle"

So I agree with the time span for women, we tend to wild out in our early twenties and start to calm down in our thirties. That by the way is just natural stages of maturing so it's not some new phenomenon.

I disagree with the male time span though, normally it's recognised that men go through this stage of maturing (midlife crisis) between the ages of 18 to 30 so men are advised not to settle down before thirty and to have fun.

Your window of 30 to 50 is just excusing adults who are irresponsible and unable to mature at a natural rate! If we went by your math then we might as well avoid men when they are in their prime (between the ages of 30 and 50)

In conclusion op hasn't said anything new he just spoke jargon to condone men's Bleep up. Typical of him.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 5:20am On Jul 08, 2017
Halfpenny:
I kind of understood where op is going with this although he just abused a recognised term and completely flipped it on it's head.

Let say you used the term creatively and gave it a new definition in the context of "romance life cycle"

So I agree with the time span for women, we tend to wild out in our early twenties and start to calm down in our thirties. That by the way is just natural stages of maturing so it's not some new phenomenon.

I disagree with the male time span though, normally it's recognised that men go through this stage of maturing (midlife crisis) between the ages of 18 to 30 so men are advised not to settle down before thirty and to have fun.

Your window of 30 to 50 is just excusing adults who are irresponsible and unable to mature at a natural rate! If we went by your math then we might as well avoid men when they are in their prime (between the ages of 30 and 50)

In conclusion op hasn't said anything new he just spoke jargon to condone men's Bleep up. Typical of him.

You were communicating until you introduced your usual pepper seller character trait.

What I wrote up there is MY DEFINITION of mid life crisis in relation to behavioral pattern in romantic affairs in men and women and not the type someone with the same brain like everyone termed it and by virtue of self imposed superior intellect wrote down for every one to follow...

Away from that I would like to make it clear that the real life span of the romantic life of a man starts at 30 and not earlier cos in my opinion most guys below 30 are still considered boys.

Nevertheless,what I wrote is my definition of mid life crisis in relation to romantic union in practical reality and if anyone still juxtapose this to the general mid life crisis then I'm sorry I can't help out.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 5:54am On Jul 08, 2017
Fearlez:
Oga done dey get emotional grin

Your title was " The Mid-life crisis" which is a universal word describing people in their 40s and beyond.

Then you went on to say a girl in her 20s is already experiencing Mid-life crisis in romantic life!

Your penmanship is organically crappy and your power for metaphors and allusion is inferior to a senior secondary school student.

Two words for you: boldness and ignorance; you have them in abundance!

lol! why emotional...I'm one guy that sees issues as a process of learning but if you fail to open your minds and be objective then as I wrote,you are set for intellectual stagnation.

All your pendulic dogma are totally baseless because the term mid life crisis does not have a specific definition or application. ..life is not just about showcasing Grammer but it's more about intelligence and the ability to look beyond the dogma of life.

I can highlight different types of definition ascribed to mid life crisis from different sources that are totally divergent so which one are you really sticking to?

After going through it all,I decided to apply it to romantic union and define it as the period of human social and intellectual growth where the need for self-actualisation and the need to radiate it is required.It’s the normal period the human lifespan where we transit from younger people to older adults by way of thinking and acting in relation to our romantic life.

If you are to define mid life crisis in relation to health,spiritual life experience,hormonal variation,
career..e.t.c,you will certainly get different definitions for each and I wonder why you still don't get this despite all the Grammertical prowess you display

Dude don't expect me to go this endless pendulic argument with you...I know what I write and I am not sheepish in my approach to issues.

Consider my write up as my own creativity. what U.K spell as cheque is spelt check in U.S and while U.S pronounces schedule as shedule and U.K calls it skedule,people are forced to accept cos someone or a group of people made it so...

My final advise for you and others who think the way you do is that you should always think outside the box.

I will stop here

1 Like

Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Fearlez: 9:46am On Jul 08, 2017
Toks2008:

lol! why emotional...I'm one guy that sees issues as a process of learning but if you fail to open your minds and be objective then as I wrote,you are set for intellectual stagnation.

All your pendulic dogma are totally baseless because the term mid life crisis does not have a specific definition or application. ..life is not just about showcasing Grammer but it's more about intelligence and the ability to look beyond the dogma of life.

I can highlight different types of definition ascribed to mid life crisis from different sources that are totally divergent so which one are you really sticking to?

After going through it all,I decided to apply it to romantic union and define it as the period of human social and intellectual growth where the need for self-actualisation and the need to radiate it is required.It’s the normal period the human lifespan where we transit from younger people to older adults by way of thinking and acting in relation to our romantic life.

If you are to define mid life crisis in relation to health,spiritual life experience,hormonal variation,
career..e.t.c,you will certainly get different definitions for each and I wonder why you still don't get this despite all the Grammertical prowess you display

Dude don't expect me to go this endless pendulic argument with you...I know what I write and I am not sheepish in my approach to issues.

Consider my write up as my own creativity. what U.K spell as cheque is spelt check in U.S and while U.S pronounces schedule as shedule and U.K calls it skedule,people are forced to accept cos someone or a group of people made it so...

My final advise for you and others who think the way you do is that you should always think outside the box.

I will stop here
Toks your mediocrity is built to last.

Midlife crisis is midlife crisis. Stop decieivng yourself and tightening the knots of your delusions firmer.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5615998_screenshot201707080920101_png2e2ff1c0c05e62f3ab99d9f9fecda727
If you ascribe midlife crisis to any other phenomenon, then it is merely an allusion not it's definition. You're learning the art of writing rather late and as a result you're stiff-necked and inflexible.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 11:15am On Jul 08, 2017
Fearlez:
Toks your mediocrity is built to last.

Midlife crisis is midlife crisis. Stop decieivng yourself and tightening the knots of your delusions firmer.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5615998_screenshot201707080920101_png2e2ff1c0c05e62f3ab99d9f9fecda727
If you ascribe midlife crisis to any other phenomenon, then it is merely an allusion not it's definition. You're learning the art of writing rather late and as a result you're stiff-necked and inflexible.

Oga fun Bobo yi o...

Let me give you different pre existing definitions for the sake of open minded people who are willing to learn...the fact that you quoted just one definition vindicated me and for the last time I will advice you...be objective,be creative and think outside the box.

While some defined the age of mid life crisis to be from 45 to 64,some wrote 40 to 50 and in my creativity, I put mine as 30 to 50 for men and 20 to 30 for women with a streamlined beam on romance.

Have a splendid weekend.

Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Fearlez: 11:23am On Jul 08, 2017
Toks2008:

Let me give you different ore existing definitions for the sake of open minded people who are willing to learn...the fact that you quoted jut one definition vindicated me and for the last time I will advice you...be objective,be creative and think outside the box.
Mr. Toks , are you running mad?

Did the screenshot you furnish not tally with universal definition of midlife crisis as occuring in middle age?

How did those screenshots support your deluded definition of love life of girls in their 20s?

Don't quote me further. Just keep your burgeoning illiteracy to yourself.

1 Like

Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 11:27am On Jul 08, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:

You love em thuggish and rugged? cheesy

Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 7:30pm On Jul 10, 2017
Ci5:
Is the op already suffering from midlife crisis? grin

Fortunately I have mine under control.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 7:37pm On Jul 10, 2017
Cinderella5:
Is the op already suffering from midlife crisis? grin

Fortunately I can control mine.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Cinderella5(f): 7:53pm On Jul 10, 2017
Toks2008:

Fortunately I can control mine.
I don't think so.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Toks2008(m): 8:09pm On Jul 10, 2017
Cinderella5:
I don't think so.
Lobatan!
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by ameri9ja: 10:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
Ok
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Gerrard59(m): 11:53pm On Aug 15, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by dwag: 12:05am On Aug 16, 2017
Irrespective of the topic, what interest me most here is the argument......... Quite interesting I must say......... Kudos to the defender and the attackers ............. And to the halfpussy guy, just when I thought he was supporting the op the next I heard was a knockout!!!.................. Anyway I still gbadu the discussion.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by jfleece(m): 1:14am On Aug 16, 2017
This trash is a misleading information.... Google is always ur frd..
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by TEYA: 1:36am On Aug 16, 2017
DrGraveYardz:
I think the major reason most relationships and marriages fail today is because the man feels there is no need to notify the woman before he makes any decision that affects the family. I don't know if this is as a result of the fact that he thinks the woman is too impatient.

To the men, please respect your women and always seek their opinion in ANY decision you are about to make.
So men are the reason why most marriages fail today? SMH sad sad sad

Ps: If you're in ANY abusive relationship —be it psychologically, sexually and any other area— just QUIT
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Smartjob1(f): 3:07am On Aug 16, 2017
Well said bro.
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by Dexema(m): 5:23am On Aug 16, 2017
Cholls:
my brother you dont get it...Many believe that men go through a midlife crisis when they are in middle age. Not quite. Many middle-aged men do go
through midlife crises, but it's not because they are middle-aged. It's because their wives are. From the evolutionary psychological perspective, a man's midlife crisis is precipitated by his wife's imminent
menopause and end of her reproductive career, and thus his renewed need to attract younger women. Accordingly, a 50-year-old man married to a 25-year-old woman would not go through a midlife crisis, while a 25-year-old man married to a 50-year-old woman would, just like a more typical 50-year-old man married to a 50-year-old woman. It's not his midlife that matters; it's hers. When he buys a shiny-red sports car, he's not trying to regain his youth; he's trying to attract young women to replace his menopausal wife by trumpeting his flash and cash.

Nice but hold on. Is a man's midlife crisis due to just the imminent end if his wife's reproductive career or the traits exhibited by women when approaching such end?
Could this also stem from the sexual imbalance between both sexes as they age?
Re: The Mid-life Crisis. by passey: 5:41am On Aug 16, 2017
DrGraveYardz:
[qcolor=#990000]I think the major reason most relationships and marriages fail today is because the man feels there is no need to notify the woman before he makes any decision that affects the family. I don't know if this is as a result of the fact that he thinks the woman is too impatient.

To the men, please respect your women and always seek their opinion in ANY decision you are about to make.

Ps: If you're in ANY abusive relationship —be it psychologically, sexually and any other area— just QUIT
[/color]

Are you a married woman/man?...
Every marriage is a unique relationship. Do not always suggest a silver bullet solution to issues of marriage.
I think people should stick to maintaining thier boy/girlfriend relationships... Especially all those that are deceived into thinking that the ONLY solution to marital problems is QUIT.
I don't think if someone has simply "QUIT" some of these e-life experts would be here typing shallow, ill-thought, cheap-Mb enabled comments
Nothing really happens in isolation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bouncer Throws Man Away For Dancing With His Girlfriend / Confession / Some Likely Reasons Why Some Girls Are Still Single

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.