Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,887 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (144) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2046702 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) ... (1682) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 2:20pm On Jun 03, 2016
oliyeniun:
Please, can anybody help me review the Prag 2.5kva inverter or direct me to a link where i can get review or more info about the inverter. I found out that mine doesnt charge at certain input voltage, even as high as 157V and what is the importance of the 10A and 20A button behind the inverter with respect to charging current or voltage . Most times, i have to use a stabilizer before it charges..

2. the voltage reading and battery level on my CC is always different from the battery level on the Prag inverter. WHich reading should i trust most? Thanks
the input voltage on the inverter is 190v. If the voltage drops below 180v the inverter will automatically enter battery mode. The avr is a scam. The 10a will charge your battery slower than 20a. The display looks like disc light. Battery and load bar is something else, not accurate. Please use the inverter voltage reading

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 7:18pm On Jun 03, 2016
JUO:
the input voltage on the inverter is 190v. If the voltage drops below 180v the inverter will automatically enter battery mode. The avr is a scam. The 10a will charge your battery slower than 20a. The display looks like disc light. Battery and load bar is something else, not accurate. Please use the inverter voltage reading
wow I smell lies
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 7:19pm On Jun 03, 2016
JUO:
wow I smell lies
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 7:40pm On Jun 03, 2016
JUO:
please give a review like Richmon did (can't remember the page) lets see
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 8:55pm On Jun 03, 2016
DUNKA:
please give a review like Richmon did (can't remember the page) lets see
this is from my own experience you can share yours. Design is poor. Casing looks like stabilzer casing. Screen looks like disco light. Avr is a scam at 213v input and output are same. I loaded 400w watts load bar didn't move. At 25v battery bar still shows full. Switch over from Ac to dc is about 7ms too far for a ups. The charger is excellent. The only good thing in this inverter is charger that can charge to 29v. Please use the reading on charge controller to monitor your battery. @dunka you can share yours

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bluehorizo(m): 6:31pm On Jun 04, 2016
onyinyechika08:
Pls i want to install a solar inverter system in my home that can power 3tvs+2decoders, 1fridge or freezer , 3fans and 8 energy bulbs through the night say at least 12hrs.

What unit of inverter, batteries and solar panels will be sufficient for this set-up and cost+installation.

pardon me as i no understand all this calculations here.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pchinak: 7:12pm On Jun 04, 2016
Hello guys, I must commend every contributor here for a job well done. Bravo to those who freely share their knowledge and demystify these things. I need your help with this please:

Present status:

I have 2Nos of sukam 1400VA UPS inverters, also I have 2Nos of multipower 12v/200ah deep cycle batteries, the house is presently powered by 1 of these inverters connected to these two batteries. The inverter is charged by a TEC 5.5kva gen which is run for 4hrs a day, some times PHCN also shows face. The inverter is mostly used at night and this is the normal loads.

1. 3nos of standing fans ( at least I know one of them is 30w)
2. 8 nos of 15w energy savers ( puts all off when its sleep time)
3. one laptop + five phones

Thinking of Solar:

I like what I've read so far here, so if am to go solar, I will like to stop the use of gen, hence I will need to power the freezer (150w), and a 46" LED Samsung Tv. If it will help me, I can power the freezer for some hours and put it off.

Question:

What will be my best way of going about achieving the solar dream if I have a ceiling of #250K?

cc Dmerciful
JUO
Kiekie1
All you good guys, can't name you all one by one.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ValarDoharis: 7:44pm On Jun 04, 2016
Tried replying you but was banned by anti spam not. Whatsapp me on 08035415969(DMerciful)
Pchinak:
Hello guys, I must commend every contributor here for a job well done. Bravo to those who freely share their knowledge and demystify these things. I need your help with this please:

Present status:

I have 2Nos of sukam 1400VA UPS inverters, also I have 2Nos of multipower 12v/200ah deep cycle batteries, the house is presently powered by 1 of these inverters connected to these two batteries. The inverter is charged by a TEC 5.5kva gen which is run for 4hrs a day, some times PHCN also shows face. The inverter is mostly used at night and this is the normal loads.

Thinking of Solar:

I like what I've read so far here, so if am to go solar, I will like to stop the use of gen, hence I will need to power the freezer (150w), and a 46" LED Samsung Tv. If it will help me, I can power the freezer for some hours and put it off.

Question:

What will be my best way of going about achieving the solar dream if I have a ceiling of #250K?

cc Dmerciful
JUO
Kiekie1

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 7:46pm On Jun 04, 2016
JUO:
avr in inverters is not like the normal avr.. inverter is inverter and must be sensitive to low voltage and as result automatically switch to inverter mode by default. . If you need something better get a servo stab from Prag.
so nothing is wrong with the inverter in question.
juo kindly review ur post...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 8:31pm On Jun 04, 2016
abunafiu:

avr in inverters is not like the normal avr.. inverter is inverter and must be sensitive to low voltage and as result automatically switch to inverter mode by default. . If you need something better get a servo stab from Prag.
noted sir
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:14pm On Jun 05, 2016
abunafiu:

Long tym sir, hw family
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:53pm On Jun 05, 2016
Must Power star light inverters
1kva-12v=80k
1.5kva-12v=95k
3kva(2000w)-12v=100,000
3kva(2000w)-24v=130,000
4kva(3000w)-24v=140,000
5kva(4000w)-24/48=190,000
6kva(5000w)-24/48= 210,000
7.5kva(6000w)-24/48=250,000

EP Solar 12/24/36/48v 60a mppt(e tracer) solar charge controller @ 130k

EP Solar 12/24 40a mppt(a series ep ever) solar charge controller @ 70k

MERCURY Docan Korean deep cycle batteries 12v 220a @80k (limited in stock)

Trojan 12v 205a USA batteries @ 89k...(limited quantity in stock)

With 35k , I can offer you the most important pro solar roof mounts including ;
2 qty solar mount rail "4200mm" ,
4 qty rack end clamp,
6 qty mid clamp,
6 qty L feet with rubber & special screw....

Same goes to angle positioning solar kits;
- Adjustable front leg
- Adjustable rear leg
- Rail splice kit
- Grounding lug

*AUTHORISED DEALER PRAGMATIC TECHNOLOGIES*
All our prag / cyberpower products comes with reliable warranty

*AUTHORIZED DEALER INDIAN INVERTERS / BATTERIES ... GENUS , LUMINUOS , EPSILON PRODUCTS*
All our products come with 1 year Warranty

*AUTHORIZED DEALER SOLAR SHOP LTD PRODUCTS*

For best affordable prices,proforma invoices valid for just 1 week, contact Smartcell Global Services,Lagos Nigeria. Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by xreakz(m): 5:04pm On Jun 05, 2016
Anyone using this epsolar 45A or 60A mppt controller? Is it a good substitute for the more expensive American products like Outback or MorningStar?

Thanks

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 6:18pm On Jun 05, 2016
xreakz:
Anyone using this epsolar 45A or 60A mppt controller? Is it a good substitute for the more expensive American products like Outback or MorningStar?

Thanks
super device believe me you won't regret getting one. Suitable for any kind of battery

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 6:28pm On Jun 05, 2016
House please, who has this sukam Falcon or Falcon plus or Falcon plus plus should tell us the performance/review. Thanks

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 7:57pm On Jun 05, 2016
Pchinak:

Present status:

Thinking of Solar:

Question:

cc Dmerciful
JUO
Kiekie1

Thanks in advance.

250k can get you epsolar 60a charge controller from kiekie @ 135k, the balance can get 2 250W solar panel plus installation. You can add more solar panel with time to extend it to 1600W if your inverter is 24V system, or 3200W if 48V or 800W if 12V. With this initial setup, you should be able to generate between 1kWh to 3kWh depending on your location and weather.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by xreakz(m): 8:12pm On Jun 05, 2016
JUO:
super device believe me you won't regret getting one. Suitable for any kind of battery

Thanks bro.

Any chance for a bright pic? smiley
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by RipVanWink: 8:49pm On Jun 05, 2016
@pchinak, another option may be to sell off ur old inverter, then buy an axpert or ipowerplus inverter with built in charge controller.
5kva 48v comes with 60amp cc, 3kva 24v comes with 40amp cc, u may then be able to get 4 units of 250 watts panel

epsolar cc is decent, though fangpusen cc has a beta display and show more info than epsolar

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:31pm On Jun 05, 2016
40a epsolar is enuf for him at 55k(aliexpress.com), he can channel d rest to buy 200w*4 panels
mank1234:

250k can get you epsolar 60a charge controller from kiekie @ 135k, the balance can get 2 250W solar panel plus installation. You can add more solar panel with time to extend it to 1600W if your inverter is 24V system, or 3200W if 48V or 800W if 12V. With this initial setup, you should be able to generate between 1kWh to 3kWh depending on your location and weather.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 10:32pm On Jun 05, 2016
DMerciful:
40a epsolar is enuf for him at 55k(aliexpress.com), he can channel d rest to buy 200w*4 panels

OK boss
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pchinak: 11:15pm On Jun 05, 2016
mank1234:

Thanks for your input.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pchinak: 11:21pm On Jun 05, 2016
RipVanWink:
@pchinak, another option may be to sell off ur old inverter, then buy an axpert or ipowerplus inverter with built in charge controller.
5kva 48v comes with 60amp cc, 3kva 24v comes with 40amp cc, u may then be able to get 4 units of 250 watts panel

epsolar cc is decent, though fangpusen cc has a beta display and show more info than epsolar

Thanks, but as a newbie I will want to use what I have now then if the porridge sweet I go add more yam.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pchinak: 11:24pm On Jun 05, 2016
DMerciful:

Thanks a lot.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by xreakz(m): 7:08am On Jun 06, 2016
Good morning guys. Is a 40A CC good enough for a 1000W solar panel with 24V battery backup. The calculation puts the requirement at 41.67A or do i go higher like the 45A?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 7:21am On Jun 06, 2016
xreakz:
Good morning guys. Is a 40A CC good enough for a 1000W solar panel with 24V battery backup. The calculation puts the requirement at 41.67A or do i go higher like the 45A?
More than enough. Depending on your battery type, you will see about 28 to 30 v during the charge cycle. I have 2 kw on 24 V 60 amp controller. Works fine
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by xreakz(m): 7:34am On Jun 06, 2016
chris81964:

More than enough. Depending on your battery type, you will see about 28 to 30 v during the charge cycle. I have 2 kw on 24 V 60 amp controller. Works fine

How much current do you get?

Here is my battery type. I think it is gel

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:04am On Jun 06, 2016
kiekie1:
Must Power star light inverters
1kva-12v=72k
1.5kva-12v=82k
3kva(2000w)-12v=95,000
3kva(2000w)-24v=118,000
4kva(3000w)-24v=135,000
5kva(4000w)-24/48=155,000
6kva(5000w)-24/48= 175,000
7.5kva(6000w)-24/48=240,000

EP Solar 12/24/36/48v 60a mppt(e tracer) solar charge controller @ 135k

MERCURY Docan Korean deep cycle batteries 12v 220a @80k (limited in stock)

Trojan 12v 205a USA batteries @ 85k...(limited quantity in stock)

With 35k , I can offer you the most important pro solar roof mounts including ;
2 qty solar mount rail "4200mm" ,
4 qty rack end clamp,
6 qty mid clamp,
6 qty L feet with rubber & special screw....

Same goes to angle positioning solar kits;
- Adjustable front leg
- Adjustable rear leg
- Rail splice kit
- Grounding lug

*AUTHORISED DEALER PRAGMATIC TECHNOLOGIES*
All our prag / cyberpower products comes with reliable warranty

*AUTHORIZED DEALER INDIAN INVERTERS / BATTERIES ... GENUS , LUMINUOS , EPSILON PRODUCTS*

*AUTHORIZED DEALER SOLAR SHOP LTD PRODUCTS*

For best affordable prices,proforma invoices valid for just 1 week, contact Smartcell Global Services,Lagos Nigeria. Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !!

Epsolar Epever Tracer A series 40a MPPT available. For 12-24v set up. . Max pv input voltage 100v.
Features:
• Advanced MPPT technology
• High tracking efficiency no less than 99.5%
• Peak conversion efficiency of 98%
• Ultra-fast tracking speed
• Accurately recognizing and tracking of multiple power point
• Multi-function LCD displays system information intuitively
• User programmable for battery types, load control etc.
• 3-Stage charge with PWM output
• Common positive grounding design
• RS485 port with industrial standard MODBUS open architecture
• Fully programmable function via PC software or remote meter

Electronic protections:
• PV reverse polarity protection
• PV short circuit protection
• PV over current alarm protection
• Battery overcharge protection
• Battery over discharge protection
• Battery reverse polarity protection
• Load short circuit protection
• Load overload protection
• Overheating protection

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 8:31am On Jun 06, 2016
xreakz:

ur batt appears like 2v 500ah batts?...abi 800ah.
pls confirm the amperage, 500ah wud be easier for ur cc to charge than 800ah, hope u know abt the c/10, c/8, c/12 formular for smf/flooded/gel batts
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 12:28pm On Jun 06, 2016
RipVanWink:

yeah, cost is a big determinant of not building in 3 to 5 days redundancy as required, i hv a 24v 200ah batt bank in the villa, due to cost...i only hv half day redundancy .... only way i instructed them to stretch the run time of inverter on rainy days is to turn off the fridge/tv/fan....n use only lights....
in naija its difficult to have 4days non stop of badweather/continous rain...........even on cloudy days..the panels generate small power still
energy is finite, cant be created from nothing, apart from turning off heavy loads, there is no way to increase ur runtime...unless u want to invest in a device called sunforce...this monitors the irridance and lets u programme the load attached to it to run on sunny days/periods etc........
some high tech inverters might hv this as a built in function.

I'm telling you, the cost of redundancy of any sort is all but prohibitive. By default, if your system is sized for 50% or lesser DoD, you already have about a day's redundancy in-built (although it's actually good practice not to exceed 50% DoD rather than a redundancy issue). To use 20% of the bank daily in the tropics is perhaps unnecessary but the latest spate of bad weather (lasting weeks; the worst I've witnessed in my 14 years of using inverters) is worrisome and has got people with high redundancies smiling. I had to do an emergency upscaling of my panels by 33.3% to meet daily charge requirements while simultaneously cutting down on my loads. It's gotten that bad. Things seem to now be picking up.

Now that the matter has been laid to rest, I can venture some gleaned knowledge:
1. Charge controller displays can't always be trusted with regards to energy generation displays. Particularly true for Chinese PWM/MPPT.
2. The refresh rate of the displays vary and oftentimes, output lags behind input. You can verify by just spending a few minutes in front of the controller.
3. The longer the cables between the battery bank and the controller (and the thinner they are or the heavier the load), the greater the disparity between the apparent power at the battery end and the actual power at the controller end. That's where the voltage sensing cable comes in.
4. The expensive CC have a reason they're expensive. I as well own a Xantrex and a Midnite. Don't berate them. Having said that, suitable cheaper alternatives exist. EP Solar makes wonderful MPPT controllers with excellent DC-to-DC conversion and pretty good overall efficiency (of course never 100% but good enough for practical use). Just don't believe everything it displays. I had issues with mine and posted details of the issue on this forum a year ago. I still own one so I can tell you it works and does its job well; the problematic one was the exception to the rule.
5. Get a trusty voltmeter and a DC clamp ammeter as backup. They'll save you a lot of worrying over apparently puzzling and inexplicable phenomena. Like input energy being lower than output energy. And be sure it's a DC clamp meter. There are people on this forum using the AC version. Ain't saying no names.
6. BEWARE: Some CC leak power back to the panels at night, even trusted names and brands. If you're having inexplicable phantom drains, cut loads for on night and see what's going on with the consumption. Or whip out your clamp meter and check the cables.
7. A significant number of problems arise from loose connections and improperly sized or overloaded (thus damaged cables). Yeah, I know, you've checked the connections and cables a gazillion times. Before you say it can't happen to you, check again. I've had it happen to me a few too many times to ignore. These are connections I secured personally. Probably just one connection in nearly a hundred but I assure you that one is significant enough to bring the whole system down. And if your system is working fine, grab a wrench/pair of pliers and check your connections every few months. A stitch in time saves nine, probably a score.
8. All can't be said at once. More talk as more issues arise.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) ... (1682) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: mctfopt, walexsos, frebor(m), desiji and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.