Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (165) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2045456 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (1680) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 3:36pm On Aug 25, 2016
chris81964:

I have quite a few installations with numbers that periodically see 140 143 145.
What is the VOC of your panels? Use that as your guide. It is cooler now and your panels will over perform. Look at the back of your panels tell us what the short circuit voltage is and then multiply by 4.

VOC : 37.5×4= 150v

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 4:10pm On Aug 25, 2016
kiekie1:

VOC : 37.5×4= 150v

Make the series smaller. You are at the max. Your panels will exceed that.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 5:10pm On Aug 25, 2016
bigrovar:
Brothers. I need help/suppliers/suggestions for a 15KVA / 20 KVA inverter system. It is required for a High Performance computer setup that requires pick load of 9900Watt of power. This is meant for highly rated computational science research. High end (US, Europe ) product will be considered.

Hello,

I have two General Electric 15 kVA ProSite UPS available - without batteries, but with a rack.
It was in use only for a couple of weeks.

It is possible to put them in parallel, so it is an N+1 fail-safe configuration.
Manual/documentation available.

Interested?
Send me an email.

sunny regards,
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Tnycee(m): 6:08pm On Aug 25, 2016
Hello house... I got a 10kva, 180 volts inverter early last year and now I want to incorporate solar panels to the system. please where can I get 96V to 180V mppt charge controller . I'm really in need of it. I've searched e everywhere, the highest I've found is 48volts.

Also if any oNE has a cheap 5kva or 10kva inverter (prefarably used or prevent owned)for sale, I would be interested .

Thank you for all your good work any suggestions and comments would be appreciated
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 9:18am On Aug 26, 2016
Goodday all

Please In voltage readings of the batteries between the CC and the Trimetric 2030 which is more accurate?

Anybody who has experience in such should kindly advise.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:14pm On Aug 26, 2016
DUNKA:
Goodday all

Please In voltage readings of the batteries between the CC and the Trimetric 2030 which is more accurate?

Differentials aint always much .. Slight variations between inverter / inverter remote monitor / true RMS clamp multimeter's / mppt / trimetric readings kk
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dishtech(m): 5:12pm On Aug 26, 2016
hello house! how many solar panel of 200watts is required to load 5kva inverter and charge 200ah x 4 in series. quick response is anticipated. Thank you!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ola28: 6:13pm On Aug 26, 2016
Tnycee:
Hello house... I got a 10kva, 180 volts inverter early last year and now I want to incorporate solar panels to the system. please where can I get 96V to 180V mppt charge controller . I'm really in need of it. I've searched e everywhere, the highest I've found is 48volts.

Also if any oNE has a cheap 5kva or 10kva inverter (prefarably used or prevent owned)for sale, I would be interested .

Thank you for all your good work any suggestions and comments would be appreciated

Hello, pls i have victron mppt 150v/ 85a charge controller 200k

victron 100v/ 30a mppt charge controller 50k

victron inverter 24v/3000va/70 400k

pls contant me on 08090175171

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcci: 6:28pm On Aug 26, 2016
Dishtech:
hello house! how many solar panel of 200watts is required to load 5kva inverter and charge 200ah x 4 in series. quick response is anticipated. Thank you!

I assume your 5Kva Inverter is a 48V system, hence the 200ah x 4 batteries in series.

If you strictly want to charge with no load during charging, I'll suggest 6 * 200watts panel in 3x3 series-parallel configuration.

If you want to charge and place some load on the system then you need to specify the total load when charging.

Of course the type and configuration of charge controller is also important.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dishtech(m): 9:29pm On Aug 26, 2016
mcci:

I assume your 5Kva Inverter is a 48V system, hence the 200ah x 4 batteries in series.

If you strictly want to charge with no load during charging, I'll suggest 6 * 200watts panel in 3x3 series-parallel configuration.

If you want to charge and place some load on the system then you need to specify the total load when charging.

Thank you for your respond! Only inverter and battery is available so plan is to buy solar panel and charge controller and its 48v system. Also plan is to run freezer=130watt, fridge=90watt, television=180watt, decoder= about 15watt, total of about 415watts to while charging in the day.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by battleaxe: 3:41am On Aug 27, 2016
mcci:

I'm sorry, but I do not agree with your advice above. I do not think 1,200W in panels will be able to charge the batteries, irrespective of whether it's loaded or not.

Gurus.. @ilovethesun, @bigrovar, @pranil etc.... Above for your advice
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 8:35am On Aug 27, 2016
@Dishtech:

Good morning,

good choice to go solar!

I do not have a good feeling about your current setup: 5 kVA inverter plus 4 x 200 Ah in series (48 Volt).
It is not a perfect match. Your batteries will suffer if you draw more than 20 Amps (approx. 1000 Watts).
And I assume that you charge them too fast as well and they get hot. You should limit the current otherwise your batteries won't last long.
(5000 / 48 = approx. 100 Amps!)

Here is my calculation:
1000 Watts to charge the existing batteries
plus
200 Watts for ongoing load (not all of the 415 Watts loads will be on simultaneously during the day?!)
Total 1200 Watts required x 1.2 or 1.3 (factor for losses and inefficiencies) = about 1.400 - 1.600 Watts(peak) on the roof.

My advice: how about a more energy-efficient TV and bigger battery bank as well.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by battleaxe: 8:42am On Aug 27, 2016
May I ask how you arrived at 1,000w solar panels, sufficient to charge the 9600Wh battery bank?

(Note taken of the other factors added on top of the 1,000w)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:23am On Aug 27, 2016
Tnycee:

Contact me for a clean fairly used 5kva LCD display Indian inverter @ an affordable price . Thanks !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BRIGHTSOLAR(m): 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2016
call for 5kva fairly use must-power inverter
Call-07058562938 www.brightsolarpower.com.ng whatsaap 08187995847
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BRIGHTSOLAR(m): 12:14pm On Aug 27, 2016
Tnycee:

call for 5kva fairly use must-power inverter

Call-07058562938
www.brightsolarpower.com.ng
whatsaap 08187995847
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BRIGHTSOLAR(m): 12:34pm On Aug 27, 2016
S
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 12:35pm On Aug 27, 2016
battleaxe:
May I ask how you arrived at 1,000w solar panels, sufficient to charge the 9600Wh battery bank?
(Note taken of the other factors added on top of the 1,000w)

Hello @battelaxe,

if you want to charge from 0 Wh to 9600 Wh, you're right. It is "difficult"/not possible during a single day. If you have cloudy days then you will need more solar panels anyway.

I suggest DoD of 50% or better DoD of 60%. Then 1000 Watts should be OK to charge the battery with 4800 Wh or 3840 Wh during the day with 5 - 6 hours of sun. Do you agree?
I'd rather size the max according to the battery capacity, in order not to stress them. I'd get rid of the old battery bank and get two banks with four 12 V each.
If you increase the number of battery banks (in parallel), then you can increase the total Amps of the system, e.g. 2 x 20 Amps if you have 200 Ah batteries. That's why I stated 5 kVA is a lot and should be operated with current limitation.

What I observe, people do their sizing according to their finances - what is obvious - but they end up replacing their batteries within a year or two. People take a single day as the duration for a full cycle. In fact it's rather C5 (=5 hours) discharging to DoD 50% within 5 hours after charging. But I'd recommend to go DoD 75% within 5 hours. This will almost double the life of a battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JohnKester: 4:34pm On Aug 27, 2016
DUNKA:
Goodday all

From my personal experience, the voltage displayed by the CC and Inverters are always slightly higher than that in the Trimetric 2030. This is understandable as the CC will measure whatever power is generated by the solar array as it flows through it to the batteries. The trimetric 2030 on the other hand measures what goes in and also what goes out. What is registered is what actually goes into the batteries after deducting what is used to power the loads being run simultaneously while charging. For this reason, you will notice that the amps registered by the CC as inflow is always higher than what is measured by the trimetric 2030 as inflow.

In terms of accuracy, the trimetric is more accurate since it is capable of monitoring both inflow and outflow. Moreover, it is programmed for a specific type of battery and the specific capacity of your battery bank. The CC on the other hand, can only be indicative since it is designed with consideration for all types of batteries and chemistry, as well as whatever battery bank it is connected. As is well known, the flooded batteries, gel or even agm batteries neither charge no discharge at the same rate. This alone has rendered the accuracy of the displayed statistics marginally unreliable. Also from experience, any inaccuracies observed would definitely be as a result of the inaccurate data feed into the device in the process of programming. In addition, all things being equal, the shorter the distance between the trimetric and the battery bank, the more accurate the reading.

For those who live completely off-grid, like I do, the trimetric 2030 is highly recommended as it would eliminate guesswork regarding the state of charge of your battery bank. It will also thus help elongate the lifespan of your battery bank.

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 6:34pm On Aug 27, 2016

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 6:58pm On Aug 27, 2016
JohnKester:

From my personal experience, the voltage displayed by the CC and Inverters are always slightly higher than that in the Trimetric 2030. This is understandable as the CC will measure whatever power is generated by the solar array as it flows through it to the batteries. The trimetric 2030 on the other hand measures what goes in and also what goes out. What is registered is what actually goes into the batteries after deducting what is used to power the loads being run simultaneously while charging. For this reason, you will notice that the amps registered by the CC as inflow is always higher than what is measured by the trimetric 2030 as inflow.

In terms of accuracy, the trimetric is more accurate since it is capable of monitoring both inflow and outflow. Moreover, it is programmed for a specific type of battery and the specific capacity of your battery bank. The CC on the other hand, can only be indicative since it is designed with consideration for all types of batteries and chemistry, as well as whatever battery bank it is connected. As is well known, the flooded batteries, gel or even agm batteries neither charge no discharge at the same rate. This alone has rendered the accuracy of the displayed statistics marginally unreliable. Also from experience, any inaccuracies observed would definitely be as a result of the inaccurate data feed into the device in the process of programming. In addition, all things being equal, the shorter the distance between the trimetric and the battery bank, the more accurate the reading.

For those who live completely off-grid, like I do, the trimetric 2030 is highly recommended as it would eliminate guesswork regarding the state of charge of your battery bank. It will also thus help elongate the lifespan of your battery bank.

Cheers
Thanks a million. Yes totally on point by
The readings I am seeing.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 7:58pm On Aug 27, 2016
iLoveTheSun:

What I observe, people do their sizing according to their finances - what is obvious - but they end up replacing their batteries within a year or two. People take a single day as the duration for a full cycle. In fact it's rather C5 (=5 hours) discharging to DoD 50% within 5 hours after charging. But I'd recommend to go DoD 75% within 5 hours. This will almost double the life of a battery.

Where did you get this info from?
I understand when selecting deep cycle batteries, focus should be on the C20 rate. A C24 rate would've been perfect!

If i discharge a battery at C20 rate and recharge it at C10, is that a full cycle? Is this cycle
a function of the charge/discharge rate? I'm curious as to how you arrived at the C5 full day cycle dogma.

I have been thinking, should battery banks be sized for whole day or night time use?
Wont it make more financial sense to buy a small gen for those few and far between cloudy days in a
year, and spend the rest on panels...

Size your batteries for night time use. Invest the extra cash buying more panels. Move your peak loads
to daytime. Have a standby gen that you may run once a year or never! Maximize energy efficiency at night.

If you've got a 400Ah battery bank, 50% DOD philosophy, draw no more than 500w at night.
So as to stay within the C20 rate. 9.6kwh is available at C20, discharge any faster and the available capacity
drops...Peukert law.

Good stuff: http://www.mpoweruk.com/life.htm
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 11:22am On Aug 28, 2016
Barezzi:

Where did you get this info from?
I understand when selecting deep cycle batteries, focus should be on the C20 rate. A C24 rate would've been perfect!
If i discharge a battery at C20 rate and recharge it at C10, is that a full cycle? Is this cycle
a function of the charge/discharge rate? I'm curious as to how you arrived at the C5 full day cycle dogma.
I have been thinking, should battery banks be sized for whole day or night time use?

Dear @Barezzi,
maybe there is a misunderstanding?!
I agree that you should discharge at C20 rate. But what I wrote is my observation that people think they do discharge at C10 rate, but in the evening they draw more power so it is rather a discharge at C5 rate. It is not a dogma! And it is not what I'd recommend.

What I recommend is not to stress your batteries by not discharging below DoD of 75% within 5 hours.

For clarification: yes, I call it a full cycle when discharging to DoD x% and then charging again.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:33am On Aug 28, 2016
LOL...
No worries bro. If we had a power outage once in 10 years shocked, i would've settled for a battery-less system.

Hopefully we get there before 2116!! grin

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 12:39pm On Aug 28, 2016
Please where can I get programmable timer switches for freezer and refrigerator?

Kindly advise brand and price.

Regards
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 2:23pm On Aug 28, 2016
DUNKA:
Please where can I get programmable timer switches for freezer and refrigerator?

Regards
If you can order and wait about 2 weeks, follow link below. Select UK plug... Its about N4k each.
Or search for "Smart Power Sockets" Lot of options bro...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Broadlink-SP2-EU-Smart-Home-Wireless-Remote-Control-Electrical-Smart-Plugs-Sockets-By-app-control-switch/32655943437.html

Else contact coogumo, kiekie, richmon etc...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 5:19pm On Aug 28, 2016
DUNKA:

Regards
I have them, I could sell to you
O 8o 6seven7four,1 two 9four
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:01am On Aug 29, 2016
iLoveTheSun:

Hello,

I have two General Electric 15 kVA ProSite UPS available - without batteries, but with a rack.
It was in use only for a couple of weeks.

It is possible to put them in parallel, so it is an N+1 fail-safe configuration.
Manual/documentation available.

Interested?
Send me an email.

sunny regards,

will do, thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (1680) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.