Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,829 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (174) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2044768 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) ... (1680) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 11:26pm On Sep 25, 2016
kiekie1:

I appreciate .. Remain blessed BRO !

Alubarika marketer.
keep up d good work bro.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 12:56am On Sep 26, 2016
Unionised:

Boss, I'm a novice seeking expert opinion.

Give me your own option within 600k (installation inclusive).

Thanks.

Go for maintenance free batteries as flooded batteries need more care as if your inverter cannot equalize the flooded batteries you will need to purchase a charge controller to do that.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mayor78: 2:41am On Sep 26, 2016
ayor78:
Can somebody help to suggest the composition and equipments from solar energy that will allow me to have a minimum of 18hrs of electric power in the house enough to power at least two 1.5HP split unit, two fan, 2 televisions, standard fridge/freezer and couple of security lights/bulbs all at a time and bearing in mind the system will be 100% independent of any connections to external power generation systems PHNC or likes. Any help will be appreciated.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 9:01am On Sep 26, 2016
SUKAM 1.4KVA FOR SALE:
1.4kva sukam. 1yr 5month used. for sale due to upgrade. call 08033735359 now

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 9:13am On Sep 26, 2016
abunafiu:
Alhaji Saipro, how u dey sir.

we both have been enjoying our systems. I am enjoying my 3kw poly system. wish I had discovered this earlier.
I must confess, 70% or 80% hmm even 150% efficiency doesn't matter again.
all I see now is 1pm 59v absorption and 3pm float.
what's else do I need.
When last did I crack my head to do energy calculations.. Except for a prospective clients.
Currently enjoying Game of thrones season 6.
it's 7.30pm here in Ilorin.

I'm grateful for the comment. I'm sorry I didn't reply right away. I'm doing exactly the same. I occassionally walk by the "power room" and glance at the CC readouts; fiddle with the inverter button to check load parameters and be sure DC voltages tally with those of the CC. For fun, I randomly read the voltage on each battery. Once a month, I open the caps of the flooded batteries to see the electrolyte levels. Afterwards, I take an SG reading (once in 3 or four months). Indeed, the lazy days are here. A toast to our energy independence !

PS: A friend sent me a message this morning saying he hasn't bothered connecting to the grid since I last looked up on his system. Thus, one less utility headache for us as individuals, a few less grid users for the power company to worry over. Very soon, there will be enough power for all. Or so I hope.

Despite having used inverters for over 13 years, did I mention that GeorgeD1 inpired me to add solar panels and Abunafiu convinced me of the need to bite the bullet? Thanks my people. Of course, Kiekie1 did the supplies (we had a few teething issues but he's really a great guy).

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:37am On Sep 26, 2016
I couldn't agree more...

GeorgeD1 inspired me to take the plunge too.
I remember several off-the-shelf modified sinewave inverters i blew in my quest to go green. grin
Hook up first, blow something, then look for the manual grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:46am On Sep 26, 2016
Obimind1:

My 1.4va Mpower inverter is 2years and 3 months old with the same Mpower batteries 200ah*2 agm that came with it as at the time of purchase. So far my inverter has been super intelligent and by God's mercy I have not worked on it ever since I bought it. My next plan now is adding two more batteries to my already existing system so as to enjoy a longer back up time. Or betterstill, if I am to get four new batteries and dispose this present set of batteries I have, what will be the best way to connect these 4 new batteries to my 1.4va 24v system to avoid unequal charging over a long period of time? Pls advice from this wonderful forum will be highly appreciated.

connecting 4 12v 200ah batts to the 1.4kw mpower 24v may not be a good idead. the charging current of that device is below 20amp x 2 =40amps, thus it will not charge the batteries properly, you may not nitice this immediately, but graduadually, it will kill/sulphate the battery.
you have 3 hard options.

1. maintain ur present 2 battery system, and add solar to it.600w to 1kw panels shud be fine with 40/45amp CC....ie if phcn is poor in ur are

2. GET THE 4new batts, and then get minimum of 60amp CC, and minimum of 1500w panels, so ur primary source of charging the batts would be solar, n the panels would generate >40amps charging curent

3. get a new inverter +4 new batteries, the new inverter shud be capable of charging the 4units 12v 200ah batts, 24v prag 4kw or 4kw 48v mpower inverter will do the job.

btw missing 2 old n 2 new batts isnt recommend, the old batts will bring down the new batts to thier level over time

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obimind1: 9:07pm On Sep 26, 2016
earthrealm:

connecting 4 12v 200ah batts to the 1.4kw mpower 24v may not be a good idead. the charging current of that device is below 20amp x 2 =40amps, thus it will not charge the batteries properly, you may not nitice this immediately, but graduadually, it will kill/sulphate the battery.
you have 3 hard options.

1. maintain ur present 2 battery system, and add solar to it.600w to 1kw panels shud be fine with 40/45amp CC....ie if phcn is poor in ur are

2. GET THE 4new batts, and then get minimum of 60amp CC, and minimum of 1500w panels, so ur primary source of charging the batts would be solar, n the panels would generate >40amps charging curent

3. get a new inverter +4 new batteries, the new inverter shud be capable of charging the 4units 12v 200ah batts, 24v prag 4kw or 4kw 48v mpower inverter will do the job.

btw missing 2 old n 2 new batts isnt recommend, the old batts will bring down the new batts to thier level over time
@Earthrealm, presently I have 6 pieces of 150 watts panel which is 900watts in total. So far my panels are not doing bad at all. I can power my 192 litre nexus double door fridge which outputs 110 watts & also my LG washing machine when the sun is at its peak.
My major challenge now is how I can get a longer back up time. That was my reason for asking about connecting 4 batteries to my 24v set up.
Talking abt my charge controller, for now i use a combination of two charge controllers 20ah & 30ah cc, that is a total of 50ah cc. Both of them are pwm, though i'm optimistic of upgrading to an mppt some day. Thanks for ur assistance. I sincerely do appreciate.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kogistar: 9:58pm On Sep 26, 2016
DUNKA:
Go for maintenance free batteries as flooded batteries need more care as if your inverter cannot equalize the flooded batteries you will need to purchase a charge controller to do that.
how good is one battery called quanta?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:04am On Sep 27, 2016
kogistar:
how good is one battery called quanta?

Quanta is very gud, call me if u need 1 @ affordable price
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:06am On Sep 27, 2016
Unionised:
Dear all,
I am about purchasing APS Inverter 3.5kva plus 4 pieces of 200ah batteries.
To add solar panels later.

Any advice? Caution? Better options?

My expected bill is as follows:

Inverter 138k

Battery 90k times 4 equals 360k

Rack/Stand 15k

Installation 40k

Total - 553k

Stop me before I make a mistake.

Note: just for my beloved TV and 14 energy saving bulbs a maybe a fan or two.

Total load less than 1,000w.

Send a mail to Info@monzpowersolutions.com to get a quote at affordable price, which ll be suitable for ur loads
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by battleaxe: 4:45am On Sep 27, 2016
Quanta versus Varta.... Which is better?

The DOD cycles are not remarkable different for both...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 7:55am On Sep 27, 2016
Can I mix two charge controller pwm and mppt to charge my battery.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Reprobate: 8:38am On Sep 27, 2016
Obimind1:

@Earthrealm, presently I have 6 pieces of 150 watts panel which is 900watts in total. So far my panels are not doing bad at all. I can power my 192 litre nexus double door fridge which outputs 110 watts & also my LG washing machine when the sun is at its peak.
My major challenge now is how I can get a longer back up time. That was my reason for asking about connecting 4 batteries to my 24v set up.
Talking abt my charge controller, for now i use a combination of two charge controllers 20ah & 30ah cc, that is a total of 50ah cc. Both of them are pwm, though i'm optimistic of upgrading to an mppt some day. Thanks for ur assistance. I sincerely do appreciate.

ok, so u are combining 2 CC, so it actually works?. another thing is...what is the actual output of those CC?. ITS RATED FOR 20AH AND 30AH RESPECTIVELY, THAT doesn't mean that they output that....I seriously doubt that they do, pwm for that matter.
ur setup is fair, I understand your plight,
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 1:02pm On Sep 27, 2016
Obimind1:

Same with me, the max my inverter can charge my battery is at 28.5v. Using ur charge controller as ur primary battery charger what the max voltage u see?
I'm asking cus mine inverter is by brand Mpower 1.4va.
My controller gets as high as 31v. it can do 17vx 2 (That is the max setting) but allows you to adjust the voltage according to your requirements and needs.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:48pm On Sep 27, 2016
saipro,
barezzi,

i'm glad you guys somehow found a little inspiration from my posts.
and i think that is the whole essence of this forum.
if we all can think less about how to make a buck and channel our energies
into helping our fellow man, the world indeed will be a better place for everybody.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by battleaxe: 4:04pm On Sep 27, 2016
Hi house,
Please between a quanta and Varta battery, which one is better for use in a solar setup?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:27pm On Sep 27, 2016
@obimind1,
seems reprobate has already answered you.
getting a single mppt CC will also be a move in the right direction
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 7:09pm On Sep 27, 2016
Can I use both pwm and mppt together in my solar setup
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obimind1: 9:04pm On Sep 27, 2016
earthrealm:
@obimind1,
seems reprobate has already answered you.
getting a single mppt CC will also be a move in the right direction
I got my mind on it bro.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 9:37pm On Sep 27, 2016
Dear House kindly advise,
For a 48v battery system,what ideally should be the Low Battery Cut Off (lcbo) voltage?

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:06pm On Sep 27, 2016
kiekie1:

NOTE: We buy bad or condemned 200A deep cycle batteries at #12,000 .. Call us now !

Keep the calls coming .. Thanks !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by anochuks08(m): 10:16am On Sep 28, 2016
Please house, I live offgrid and recently upgraded my 24v setup to a 48v system (since I had 12 units of 100ah batteries sitting on corner), Now I have a setup of 48v 300ah (2 parallel connections). The batteries are fully charged before 12 to 1pm daily depending on sunlight available and batteries are hardly drained to 80% daily. Most times, the next day, I do have my batteries at 85 to 90% remaining. My bank is highly oversized considering the fact that it powers very little load .

My question, will the batteries still degrade quickly even as they are mostly on float always?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of this setup cos am being advised by friends that the batteries are too much.

I will appreciate all input from the house.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 10:49am On Sep 28, 2016
anochuks08:
Please house, I live offgrid and recently upgraded my 24v setup to a 48v system (since I had 12 units of 100ah batteries sitting on corner), Now I have a setup of 48v 300ah (2 parallel connections). The batteries are fully charged before 12 to 1pm daily depending on sunlight available and batteries are hardly drained to 80% daily. Most times, the next day, I do have my batteries at 85 to 90% remaining. My bank is highly oversized considering the fact that it powers very little load .

My question, will the batteries still degrade quickly even as they are mostly on float always?

Are there any advantages or disadvantages of this setup cos am being advised by friends that the batteries are too much.

ITS A BIT DICEY....What i suggest u do is let the bank drain to 505 or even 30% every quarter, u can do this by disconnecting the panels from charging the bank.

another option if you want to help house members may be to reduce ur batt bank to 8 batts, n sell off 4, or reduce ur solar panels, by selling off some.
whats ur total panel wattage, and whats ur average load like/.

kai see wetin i dey find!!! grin grin, , me dey here dey battle with timer switch n all for my villa setup

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 10:51am On Sep 28, 2016
anochuks08:

Personally, I believe you are very fortunate, discharging your battery at your current level will only increase the life span of such battery and make room for future expansion.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 10:53am On Sep 28, 2016
earthrealm:

ITS A BIT DICEY....What i suggest u do is let the bank drain to 505 or even 30% every quarter, u can do this by disconnecting the panels from charging the bank.

another option if you want to help house members may be to reduce ur batt bank to 8 batts, n sell off 4, or reduce ur solar panels, by selling off some.
whats ur total panel wattage, and whats ur average load like/.

kai see wetin i dey find!!! grin grin, , me dey here dey battle with timer switch n all for my villa setup
I hope you are being sarcastic?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 11:59am On Sep 28, 2016
anochuks08,
your set up is very much ok and i don't think you have anything to worry about.
provided your array size is big enough to charge your battery bank to full/floating status
everyday, i think you're all set up for many years of stress-free off-grid living.
enjoy!

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by 2baga(m): 12:12pm On Sep 28, 2016
wow!!!

again i say wow shocked shocked shocked
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 2:04pm On Sep 28, 2016
dicksonadams:
Can I use both pwm and mppt together in my solar setup
No, you may burn one of those, depending on the algorithm inside.
Sell your PWM and get a bigger MPPT.

sunny regards
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 2:12pm On Sep 28, 2016
iLoveTheSun:

No, you may burn one of those, depending on the algorithm inside.
Sell your PWM and get a bigger MPPT.

sunny regards

2 panels are 80watt connected in parrellel to the pwm while the second is 2 panel connected Inn series to the mppt 130watt . Both charge my 200ah battery... Please advise

(1) (2) (3) ... (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) ... (1680) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: desiji and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.