Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (186) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2056555 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (1690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dreamflyin(m): 6:54am On Nov 16, 2016
Hello house.
Thanks for the help so far. Now using 10mm wires and had quite a 25-30℅ improvement.
..but issue now is that the inverter does not charge the batteries. A 2kw inverter.
It could be on for hours but puts in 1amps into the whole thing. It needs a lot of power to come online. My gen 4400w funds it's hard driving her.
How good are Zinox ivertetd or any good inverter that does not need huge startup current?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 8:36am On Nov 16, 2016
Dreamflyin:
Hello house.
Thanks for the help so far. Now using 10mm wires and had quite a 25-30℅ improvement.
..but issue now is that the inverter does not charge the batteries. A 2kw inverter.
It could be on for hours but puts in 1amps into the whole thing. It needs a lot of power to come online. My gen 4400w funds it's hard driving her.
How good are Zinox ivertetd or any good inverter that does not need huge startup current?

was d inverter like that b4? if not it may be 1. as ur solar has pickd, inverter is doing solar priority. 2 either battery is full or solar has taken battery beyond d inverter cutoff. fr experience what i did was 1. off pv charging, drain battery a bit, on nepa/gen input to charge. 2. at night off nepa input, drain batr, on nepa/gen input for charge. this was my check and i discovered that inverter is ok and client was happy as solar has taken over charging. shikena

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:25pm On Nov 16, 2016
dicksonadams:
hi all
need a quick advise, is it there a type of iron I can buy to use with my 12v 1.2kva inverter?

dicksonadams,

you can use the regular philips pressing iron. but make sure it's one of the modern type.
i use mine with my inverter regularly and have found it to be very economical in terms of power draw.
once the element gets hot, the thermostat cuts off and it hardly cuts in again except intermittently
for few seconds at a time.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 2:25pm On Nov 16, 2016
GeorgeD1:

dicksonadams,

you can use the regular philips pressing iron. but make sure it's one of the modern type.
i use mine with my inverter regularly and have found it to be very economical in terms of power draw.
once the element gets hot, the thermostat cuts off and it hardly cuts in again except intermittently
Yes. I think a low wattage iron would help. If your bank is not very big, try to iron in the day time. (take with a pinch of salt)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 4:33pm On Nov 16, 2016
Yea I know it should face up, bt wen I asked that question I had in mind dat technically gifted people should give technically sound answered... I didnt add more to the question wen @DMerciful gave valid resons why I should face south since we live somewhat in the northern hemisphere. thanks @DMerciful
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 4:36pm On Nov 16, 2016
mank1234:

Oh! Turn it upside down.
Yea I know it should face up, bt wen I asked that question I had in mind dat technically gifted people should give technically sound answered... I didnt add more to the question wen @DMerciful gave valid resons why I should face south since we live somewhat in the northern hemisphere. thanks @DMerciful
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 5:20pm On Nov 16, 2016
GeorgeD1:

dicksonadams,

Kindly show is the name plate showing the power consumption. I use one that is similar to this but consumes 2200watts. Thanks.
How is the water heater doing.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 5:46pm On Nov 16, 2016
abunafiu:

Kindly show is the name plate showing the power consumption. I use one that is similar to this but consumes 2200watts. Thanks.

Dear Abunafiu, I use my Philips electric iron without doubt as it draws less than 4amps "3.83a".. Your reading might be wrong as ordinary irons consumes less than 1kw while steam irons consumes 1.8kw to 2.5kw as the case may be.. See attached pics of my iron using my WATTS METER ;

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by life707: 7:48pm On Nov 16, 2016
dicksonadams:
hi all
need a quick advise, is it there a type of iron I can buy to use with my 12v 1.2kva inverter?

In addition to using the regular philip iron shown by kiekie, I will advise you use it on a 24v setup rather than your 12v set except your battery is 2v/500h x6 = 12v/500h.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by rsavvy: 7:52pm On Nov 16, 2016
Hello house,

Pls I am looking for a good brand of 240W mono or poly panels IN STOCK and ready to buy

kindly respond with contact or dm me with your offer. Very ready
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:58pm On Nov 16, 2016
foonshur:

foonshur,
sorry for the tough jokes. indeed your panels should generally face south since we live in the northern
hemisphere. always take your latitude as your angle of inclination. note that there are softwares like pvsyst
that calculate optimum solar panel inclination angles on a month by month basis and these do vary greatly
depending on the time of the year but if you are going to install your panels on the roof or some
other difficult to access location, you can't go changing your panels orientation every now and then.
so, its always better to take the average of these angles and it has been discovered that (give and take)
your latitude gives roughly that average from horizontal.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:01pm On Nov 16, 2016
abunafiu:

prof,

i think my iron name plate power is about 1200w. i will check to confirm.
my water heater is firing strongly. i'm done with the calculations for comparable
cost with conventional electric water heaters. i'll post my findings tomorrow.
looks quite interesting, i promise.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 9:27pm On Nov 16, 2016
kiekie1:

Efuro, howdy ?
cheers great kiekie1. ur simply great!
24/7 alternative energy sweet ooo

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by teamman(m): 9:42pm On Nov 16, 2016
Trojan L16 410AH available for Sale
Quantity: 8 batteries
Condition: Bought and Installed February 2016. Owner got residency in another country and the battery has been floating ever since. Used occasionally when visiting the country.
Price: 120k per battery
Contact : Call and SMS 08054205142. If calls are not picked, please no offence, kindly send sms and I will get back to you.
Location is Gbagada come prepared to test the battery
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by 3276reliance: 9:43pm On Nov 16, 2016
I need 2 batteries of between 18ah and 24ah for a small project, where should I look. Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:04pm On Nov 16, 2016
U're welcome. Cheers
foonshur:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:04pm On Nov 16, 2016
rsavvy:
Hello house,

Pls I am looking for a good brand of 240W mono or poly panels IN STOCK and ready to buy

kindly respond with contact or dm me with your offer. Very ready

Kindly contact me !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 7:06am On Nov 17, 2016
dicksonadams:
hi all
Your best bet is this type of travel Iron. Though rated 800w , my 850va 600w inverter usually manage to carry it for short periods while my 24v 1.4Kva inverter is very comfortable with it even for full household ironing since it has a thermostat that cuts off once hot enough. I will try and attach pictures. Experience : 6 years of using that type of iron, first with I pass generator, later with inverters (5 years).

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:20am On Nov 17, 2016
efuro,
abunafiu,
all,

as promised, here is a run down of cost implications of installing a solar water
heater compared with the conventional electric water heater. as you will observe,
i have made a few assumptions here in arriving at my answers. also, i decided
to go with the lowest size capacity of 100l deliberately just to dispel the belief
that solar water heating is only for high volume use households or hotels.
the result is certainly amazing - even to myself.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:24am On Nov 17, 2016
so, for those still stuck with the mindset that solar water heating is a multi-million naira
enterprise, i think the above finally clears your mind.

if you can boast of installing at least 2 to 4 solar panels to power your apartment,
then you can afford solar water heaters. it is as simple as that.

need i say more? smiley

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:11am On Nov 17, 2016
Great job! Data driven analysis!
You did not include the cost of installing the solar water heater.
GeorgeD1:
efuro,
abunafiu,
all,

as promised, here is a run down of cost implications of installing a solar water
heater compared with the conventional electric water heater. as you will observe,
i have made a few assumptions here in arriving at my answers. also, i decided
to go with the lowest size capacity of 100l deliberately just to dispel the belief
that solar water heating is only for high volume use households or hotels.
the result is certainly amazing - even to myself.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:51am On Nov 17, 2016
GeorgeD1:

heater compared with the conventional electric water heater.

Lovely.
Divide by a factor of 6, as water heaters run an average of 3hrs to 4hrs daily...
For a 12hr assumed utility supply, that's 1.5 to 2hrs. That's 3kw x 2hrs = 6kwhrs daily

In anycase, the solar water heater will pay for itself from the 2nd year of use... very nice!

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:04pm On Nov 17, 2016
dmerciful,

i omitted the cost of installation deliberately. this is because
you will basically use the same plumber to install either the solar
water heater or the conventional electric water heater. same costs
apply. also left out is the cost of running your piping. it applies to
both so they cancel out.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:12pm On Nov 17, 2016
barrezzi,

that is exactly my point. even if you divide by a factor of eight or ten,
the truth is that the solar water heater eventually pays for itself in terms
of cost savings.

the painful part is that most of us have been using these conventional
electric water heaters for as long as we can remember (5yrs, 10yrs, 15yrs?)
and it never occurred to us that there was a better alternative which
would give us what we want (hot water) without necessarily boring a hole
in our pockets.

calculate the monthly bills you have paid over the course of that many
years and you realize how much money you have thrown down the drain.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 3:05pm On Nov 17, 2016
GeorgeD1:
so, for those still stuck with the mindset that solar water heating is a multi-million naira
enterprise, i think the above finally clears your mind.

if you can boast of installing at least 2 to 4 solar panels to power your apartment,
then you can afford solar water heaters. it is as simple as that.

need i say more? smiley

what is the life span of those glass-boilers in solar heater or d whole set up. is it rated 25yrs also?

by the way big thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:40pm On Nov 17, 2016
efuro,

the entire system is guaranteed for 15 years. it could be longer as far
as it doesn't get impacted by hailstones, flying objects or deliberate malice.

another beauty of the system is that individual glass tubes can be replaced
if the need arises.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 5:17pm On Nov 17, 2016
GeorgeD1:
efuro,

the entire system is guaranteed for 15 years. it could be longer as far
as it doesn't get impacted by flying objects...

grin grin Hope you don't have naughty boys in your hood.
I used to be very troublesome when i was much much younger...lol
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:00pm On Nov 17, 2016
barezzi,

any naughty boy wey throw stone hit my solar water heater
go know say khaki no be leather! smiley

but on a more serious note, i think the risk of damage from
flying objects is very minimal given that the system is mounted
so high above the ground.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JohnKester: 10:09am On Nov 18, 2016
For me, even the initial cost of acquisition is higher with conventional water heaters except, of course, it is a small apartment where you have to install one or two. Once it goes over that, for example a three bedroom apartment where you will need at least 4 water heaters (one for each room - ensuite ones) and the fourth one for the kitchen. It even get more expensive when it is a duplex where you may have up to 5 bedrooms and then kitchens both for the main house and the service quarters and so forth. When you compute all these, the cost the acquisition will already surpass the cost for the solar water heater even if you decide to go for the 300L type.

All arguments speak for the solar water heater and as far as I am concern, none speaks for the conventional electric water heaters.

On another note, has anyone experienced using Induction Cookers on solar. I am toying with the idea. Please share your experience.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dreamflyin(m): 10:10am On Nov 18, 2016
mm..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pajaka77: 10:29am On Nov 18, 2016
Please @ I need help...

My brain skipped for a slit-second and I connected the positive of the newly bought luminous zelio inverter to the negative of the 24v battery...better spark came out... Now the inverter doesn't work on battery... and when connected to the mains, it just ON and OFF. ON and OFF.....ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF....

I need advise on what to do..... Has anyone encountered this problem before?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dreamflyin(m): 10:49am On Nov 18, 2016
Any downside to using an automatic external battery charger?

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (1690) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Amador1, Dam5reey1(m), Ferdiwar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.