Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,402 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (187) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2056590 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (1690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hazelj: 11:18am On Nov 18, 2016
Hello all,
I am putting up my whole solar power system up for sale. It was setup and installed by Richmon74.
The components are as follows:
4 255W Solarworld Mono panels
Morningstar MPPT 60Amp Charge controller
2 12v 160aH Fullriver Batteries virtually brand new (installed July 2016)
1 Sukam inverter 24v 1.4Kva
It comes with a stainless steel roof mount and battery rack.
Cables and connectors are bundled free of charge.

Total cost 470k if bought as a bundle.

This is an excellent deal as this setup will cost almost twice this to implement brand new.
Reason for selling is relocation.
Was not in the country for 2 months so the batteries have been floating since.

Would prefer to sell this as a unit.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 11:41am On Nov 18, 2016
1. Wellsee charge controller C2430 12/24v 30amp - NEW
2. Emel inverter 1,500va, 24v (used) for sale

call/whatsapp - 08033735359

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 12:09pm On Nov 18, 2016
Dreamflyin:
Any downside to using an automatic external battery charger?
unless its a smart battery charger with 3 or 4 step bulk charging, its not a good idea,

Dreamflyin:
Comparing Mppt cc with a 8 250watts pv in series and a pwm with 8 250watts pv in parallel, which would harvest more current?
this really doesnt make much sense, i would advice you to read back through the old pages, and probablly do a lil research online. this is a DIY thread and most of the new questions being asked have been treated before, several times.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 1:53pm On Nov 18, 2016
GeorgeD1:

foonshur,
sorry for the tough jokes. indeed your panels should generally face south since we live in the northern
hemisphere. always take your latitude as your angle of inclination. note that there are softwares like pvsyst
that calculate optimum solar panel inclination angles on a month by month basis and these do vary greatly
depending on the time of the year but if you are going to install your panels on the roof or some
other difficult to access location, you can't go changing your panels orientation every now and then.
so, its always better to take the average of these angles and it has been discovered that (give and take)
your latitude gives roughly that average from horizontal.
thanks mate!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by battleaxe: 2:18pm On Nov 18, 2016
hazelj:
Hello all,
I am putting up my whole solar power system up for sale. It was setup and installed by Richmon74.

This is an excellent deal as this setup will cost almost twice this to implement brand new.

Is this your final prize for the bundle?

Were the panels, CC and inverter also bought brand new and installed in July?

Thanks!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 2:42pm On Nov 18, 2016
Good deal
hazelj:
Hello all,

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 6:13pm On Nov 18, 2016
grin grin cheesy hazelj

keep dis thread transparent as possible. y not support ur stuff with pix & GSM NO. so dat gurus can help u sell it quickly. & return to whiteman land.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 6:58pm On Nov 18, 2016
pajaka77:
Please @ I need help...

My brain skipped for a slit-second and I connected the positive of the newly bought luminous zelio inverter to the negative of the 24v battery...better spark came out... Now the inverter doesn't work on battery... and when connected to the mains, it just ON and OFF. ON and OFF.....ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF...ON and OFF....

I need advise on what to do..... Has anyone encountered this problem before?

What's your location .. I can assist you if you are currently in Lagos !

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dreamflyin(m): 7:17pm On Nov 18, 2016
Anyone selling a smart battery charger?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:25pm On Nov 18, 2016
I Tracer MPPT still in stock smiley ... N150000

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Reprobate: 10:23pm On Nov 18, 2016
nice, smart charger!.
some1 should buy this n confirm its truly a smart charger with 3 or 4 step charging algorithm
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dreamflyin(m): 10:40pm On Nov 18, 2016
That's a SUOER?
No no no.
Here's a thorough review...
http://quan-diy.com/misc/scc/suoer20.htm
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 6:11am On Nov 19, 2016
Dreamflyin:
That's a SUOER?
No no no.
Here's a thorough review...
http://quan-diy.com/misc/scc/suoer20.htm

good job @dreamflyin, just as i expected, the chinese smart charger isnt the kind of smart we want..

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 7:19am On Nov 19, 2016
hazelj:
Hello all,

I'm interested in buying as a unit.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by hazelj: 10:11am On Nov 21, 2016
tundebabzy:

I'm interested in buying as a unit.

Items still available...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chimeziem(m): 10:38am On Nov 21, 2016
Hello georgeD1

your solar water heater setup is impressive and going by your analysis, it is the way to go. But i question - considering that the setup has to be mounted at about the same height with its supply water tank (hence giving nearly no head difference for the water pressure), how were you able to ensure water entered the solar water heater to replenish you hot water usage as quickly as possible

GeorgeD1:
efuro,
abunafiu,
all,

as promised, here is a run down of cost implications of installing a solar water
heater compared with the conventional electric water heater. as you will observe,
i have made a few assumptions here in arriving at my answers. also, i decided
to go with the lowest size capacity of 100l deliberately just to dispel the belief
that solar water heating is only for high volume use households or hotels.
the result is certainly amazing - even to myself.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chimeziem(m): 10:40am On Nov 21, 2016
[s][/s]
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tundebabzy: 12:54pm On Nov 21, 2016
hazelj:

Items still available...
You did not drop any means of contact
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:20pm On Nov 21, 2016
chimeziem:
Hello georgeD1

your solar water heater setup is impressive and going by your analysis, it is the way to go. But i question - considering that the setup has to be mounted at about the same height with its supply water tank (hence giving nearly no head difference for the water pressure), how were you able to ensure water entered the solar water heater to replenish you hot water usage as quickly as possible

hello chimeziem,
thanks for your observation. there is actually a little difference in height (about 5.5'') between the
bottom part of the main tank and the top of the solar water heater. this difference provides the head
which maintains water flow from the main tank to the water heater tank. the difference in height
played a major part in construction of the solar water heater tower.
unfortunately, my pictures didn't seem able to capture this part of the installation.
i hope this clarifies?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:43pm On Nov 21, 2016
JohnKester:
For me, even the initial cost of acquisition is higher with conventional water heaters except, of course, it is a small apartment where you have to install one or two. Once it goes over that, for example a three bedroom apartment where you will need at least 4 water heaters (one for each room - ensuite ones) and the fourth one for the kitchen. It even get more expensive when it is a duplex where you may have up to 5 bedrooms and then kitchens both for the main house and the service quarters and so forth. When you compute all these, the cost the acquisition will already surpass the cost for the solar water heater even if you decide to go for the 300L type.

All arguments speak for the solar water heater and as far as I am concern, none speaks for the conventional electric water heaters.

Cheers

johnKester,

you're quite correct. i figured that any savvy member following my calculations would make that
deduction for himself.
for instance, in place of my own 300l single solar water heater, if i had decided to go for the more
conventional ariston 50l electric water heater, that would have been a whopping 6pcs water heaters
littered about my house! at the cost of 45k each, that would have been 270k total spend on purchase
of electricity guzzling water heaters that would end up boring a hole in my pocket every month for
the next donkey years!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by donmajor2: 7:56am On Nov 22, 2016
hazelj:
Hello all,

If items are still available, dial 08054570744 for discussion. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dreamflyin(m): 6:17am On Nov 23, 2016
Any experience with charging a battery bank with an external battery charger?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by haslaw(m): 9:00am On Nov 23, 2016
Hello house,

I am an electrical engineer with a fair practical knowledge of electrical wires and connections. I am looking for someone I can learn inverter installations from. Something like the practical aspects of inverter installations.

I live in Ikeja, Lagos
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceelog(m): 9:22am On Nov 23, 2016
Greetings all. I just stumbled into this thread while doing some search.
Please Kiekie1, DMerciful, GeorgeD, efuro and other solar enthusiasts can you please simply breakdown what a new solar entrant needs to start his solar story till full scale up.
For instance, I need to start with the following, a 210w plasma (run for 6hrs), a dstv, 2 rechargeable fans 30w each (runnin for 12hrs), 5 energy 18w bulbs (run for 5hrs), phone charging and deep freezer (during the day only).
I can spare 400k and the start scaling up.

Is it feasible?
Are second hand purchases adviceable?
Which are preferred brands for each component even if it means buyin in bits?

Pls I tried to read all 186pages but couldnt.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Wazari: 10:22am On Nov 23, 2016
ceelog:
Please Kiekie1, DMerciful, GeorgeD, efuro and other solar enthusiasts can you please simply breakdown what a new solar entrant needs to start his solar story till full scale up.
For instance, I need to start with the following, a 210w plasma (run for 6hrs), a dstv, 2 rechargeable fans 30w each (runnin for 12hrs), 5 energy 18w bulbs (run for 5hrs), phone charging and deep freezer (during the day only).

Is it feasible?

Ceelog, A new "Solar entrant" needs to read all 186 pages. You will find that similar questions to yours have already been answered and there are lots of useful information but you have to make the time. It can take upwards of 3 weeks but i assure you its worth it.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 10:28am On Nov 23, 2016
hazelj put up his system for sale. it is a good deal and i would recommend you contact him ASAP if others have not already done that.
ceelog:

Is it feasible?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by durodee(m): 12:11pm On Nov 23, 2016
ceelog:

Is it feasible?

My brother, it is better you read all the pages no matter how difficult it might seems. Otherwise, you will forever be asking ANSWERED QUESTIONS and sometimes those questions will be asked AFTER landing in trouble. Pls my brother take this gentle advice in love. It shall be well.
Back to your questions :
1) Yes.
2) Yes if you buy from a trusted and truthful sources
3) Many names can be given but it actually depends on your philosophy on purchasing electrical equipments and your pocket.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceelog(m): 1:38pm On Nov 23, 2016
DMerciful:
hazelj put up his system for sale. it is a good deal and i would recommend you contact him ASAP if others have not already done that.

I had considered calling him but the thing is there is no warranty on used products (if anything happens no refund) and the inverter capacity is small for future scale up. As per reading the entire pages...well make I continue sha
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 1:50pm On Nov 23, 2016
You would be lucky if this offer is still available. You dont know the value of what he has put up for sale and like he said if you're buying afresh, u'll spend twice the cost and TBH, he is right. you can always sell that inverter and get a bigger one.
ceelog:

I had considered calling him but the thing is there is no warranty on used products (if anything happens no refund) and the inverter capacity is small for future scale up. As per reading the entire pages...well make I continue sha
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 5:53pm On Nov 23, 2016
ceelog,
i wish i could tell you something different but unfortunately i can't. if you want to
gain knowledge, there is no substitute for hardwork. rather than waiting to be
handed all the information you need, you have to go searching for it. and you do
this by reading back pages. everyone of us does it from time to time. myself for
instance, anytime i stay away from the thread for any length of time, i always invest
enough time to read the backlog of posts no matter how many they are.
just recently, i stayed away for almost a year. members thought i had finally thrown
in the towel and kissed the thread goodbye, but suddenly when work gave me a
little break, i bounced back and discovered i have over 50 pages of posts to read.
i never complained. i didn't lament to anybody. quietly i set to work and within
two weeks of continuous reading, i had cleared up the back log and brought
myself back to reckoning.

that said, however, while reading, should you need any quick clarification on
anything, please feel free to ask. members will always be willing to lend a
helping hand.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 5:59pm On Nov 23, 2016
@ ceelog

congratulations you are at the right place if you love alternative energy particularly solar.

the forum has you may have observed is packed with very refined members who are always ready to help you. they are practical with their suggestions only if you come clean with your difficulties.

I have come to love and respect them a lot.
believe me in a matter of few weeks from now you will be Speaking solar terminology to amazement of those who are still being battered by DISCOS.

ON what to buy. I will not tell lie.
initial outlay is always expensive but over time you will begin to simile then laugh, however pls don't compromise quality.

ON who to buy from. I have had dealings with 2 dealers here and they lived to their names and trust from members of this forum. like you have been advised, read through the thread take your decision.

I am eager to see pix of your installation my dear.

my best regards.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:46pm On Nov 23, 2016
efuro,
abunafiu,
dmerciful,
johnkester,
all,

still on my solar water heater calculations, i made a very optimistic assumption in my
calculations about the availability of public power which i thought some keen member would
point out to the house. i had allocated a 12hr average power supply per day in arriving at my
monthly running cost for electric water heaters. now, the question is, what if supply increases
more than 12hrs? then the running cost gets higher. again, what if there's no power at all? then
you are left with no choice than to run your fuel guzzling plant to power your water heater
(that is for those that can afford it) or alternatively you're forced to go cold - no hot water, no joy!
and i dare say that there are countless households where their electric water heaters have
become mere objects of decoration - disused and abandoned all because there is seldom
public power to run them and the 2.5kva or 5kva generators they have just can't cope
with the added load. on the other hand, with solar water heaters, the more the sunshine,
the merrier! and even on cloudy days, you still get hot water because you don't need
the full intensity of sunshine for your vacuum tubes to work.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (1690) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Hybrid600, HeavenlyBang(m), obitobe, okikigsm, mctfopt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.