Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,577 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! (3390 Views)

Kwara State House Should Vote On Changing Royal Title Of Ilorin To OBA / Gbenga Daniel And Rotimi Amaechi In Campaign Debate On Channels TV / Profile: Flora Shaw, The Woman That Coined The Name "Nigeria" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 7:48am On Jul 25, 2017
The name 'Nigeria' was coined by British journalist and the wife of Lord Lugard, Flora Shaw. I may not have a lot of information on the personality of Flora Shaw but Lord Lugard's words showed he has personality issues and is racially prejudiced. Check out his words;

"Lagos has for 20 years opposed every Governor and has fomented strife and bloodshed in the
hinterland. I have spent the best part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the
natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after some 29 years, and after nearly 12
years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos and indeed the westerners are
the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most purely prompted by self-seeking money
motives of any people I have met.”

As if that were not bad enough, two years later, on September 25th 1918, in a letter to his
colleague Walter H. Lang, Lugard wrote the following: “The Hausa-Fulani has no ideals, no
ambitions save such as sensual in character. He is a fatalist, spendthrift and a gambler. He is
gravely immoral and is seriously diseased that he is a menace to any community to which he
seeks to attach himself.”

Lugard’s words are utterly reprehensible. They represent the most appalling examples of racial
stereotyping that I have ever seen. Yet he didn’t stop there. In his book titled ‘The Dual Mandate’
(pg. 70) 1926 he wrote the following:

“In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable
person. LACKING IN SELF-CONTROL, DISCIPLINE, AND FORESIGHT. Naturally courageous, and
naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music
and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewelry. HIS THOUGHTS ARE CONCENTRATED ON THE
EVENTS AND FEELINGS OF THE MOMENT, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the
future, or grief for the past. His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European
or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals’ placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the
State he has reached. Through the ages THE AFRICAN APPEARS TO HAVE EVOLVED NO
ORGANIZED RELIGIOUS CREED, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity, the religious
sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a
vague dread of the supernatural . HE LACKS THE POWER OF ORGANIZATION, and is conspicuously
deficient in the management and control alike of men or business. HE LOVES THE DISPLAY OF
POWER, but fails to realize its responsibility… he will work hard with a less incentive than most
races. He has the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue… In brief,
the virtues and defects of this race-type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it
is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy…Perhaps the two
traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are HIS LACK OF
APPREHENSION AND HIS LACK OF ABILITY TO VISUALIZE THE FUTURE.”

The fact is the British came here to satisfy their own interest and any offshoot of their being here should be revisited.

Now I tried to find out the motive behind naming this country 'Nigeria' which means 'Niger area'. Some articles I have seen claims that the Latin word 'niger' which means 'black or darkness' is erroneous. That left me wondering, why would a people numbering more than 150m be answering a name they have no solid background of its true meaning or the genuine motives behind its naming ?

Decades after independence, we are yet to define our concept of nationhood, we are yet to make headway even with all the resources at oir disposal. It is either we rebrand the name of our country to reflect the core values which we stand for OR we create our own meaning of what the name 'Nigeria' means. Because as it stands now, that name has no values attached with it only the knowledge that one woman and her husband from far away came and gave us the name.
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by northvietnam(m): 7:55am On Jul 25, 2017
Change it from
nIGERIA

to

Hades ( go to Luke 16:24)

3 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by davit: 7:57am On Jul 25, 2017
Ok
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 7:57am On Jul 25, 2017
northvietnam:
Change it from

nIGERIA

to

Hades ( go to Luke 16:24)
No, hades is not an option. Give us another
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by papaejima1: 7:59am On Jul 25, 2017
From Nigeria to Benueria abi?

I have always wondered why Flora Shaw chose river niger instead of river Benue.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 8:00am On Jul 25, 2017
papaejima1:
From Nigeria to Benueria abi?
What's the meaning of "benueria'?
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by ogawisdom(m): 8:01am On Jul 25, 2017
Misplaced priority
Even if Nigeria accepts zoological republic as given by Nnamdi Kanu what matters is security n welfare of citizens

3 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by papaejima1: 8:01am On Jul 25, 2017
Destined2win:
What's the meaning of "benueria'?
What's the meaning of nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 8:03am On Jul 25, 2017
papaejima1:

What's the meaning of nigeria?
grin "Niger area"

2 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 8:04am On Jul 25, 2017
ogawisdom:
Misplaced priority
Even if Nigeria accepts zoological republic as given by Nnamdi Kanu what matters is security n welfare of citizens
The later is assured when I become President but we need a new concept of nationhood not some old telltales
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by ZeroUnity: 8:07am On Jul 25, 2017
A British man and his bitche were both drunk one night and as they wake up in the morning, the woman said let us name them Nigeria... .

1 Like

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 8:13am On Jul 25, 2017
ZeroUnity:
A British man and his bitche were both drunk one night and as they wake up in the morning, the woman said let us name them Nigeria... .
Looks like what happened. They just thought up the name in seconds without any reasonable motive

1 Like

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by chiagozien(m): 8:14am On Jul 25, 2017
Why will a white man just come and give you nigeria,and you people are jumping up shouting we are nigerians.why niger area when we have two rivers.why not name you people benueria.

2 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 8:25am On Jul 25, 2017
chiagozien:
Why will a white man just come and give you nigeria,and you people are jumping up shouting we are nigerians.why niger area when we have two rivers.why not name you people benueria.
The original concept of Nigeria was faulty.

2 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by elantraceey(f): 8:35am On Jul 25, 2017
I've not really thought about this before....

3 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 8:52am On Jul 25, 2017
elantraceey:
I've not really thought about this before....
Hmmm. I got you thinking. So what do you suggest?
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Brooklynsouth(f): 9:04am On Jul 25, 2017
you already have the name ZOO WHAT EKSE ARE YOU EXPECTING

3 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 9:14am On Jul 25, 2017
Brooklynsouth:
you already have the name ZOO WHAT EKSE ARE YOU EXPECTING
I will be ruling this country soon. Zoo is out of it. Please give me a better name
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 25, 2017
Zoolandia republic

3 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 9:21am On Jul 25, 2017
wingman:
Zoolandia republic
angry
Out of it
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Goodlyhrt(m): 9:37am On Jul 25, 2017
Lets restructure and term it the United States of Africa

1 Like

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 9:41am On Jul 25, 2017
Goodlyhrt:
Lets restructure and term it the United States of Africa
Very good option.
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by cumbak60: 10:45am On Jul 25, 2017
Destined2win:
The name 'Nigeria' was coined by British journalist and the wife of Lord Lugard, Flora Shaw. I may not have a lot of information on the personality of Flora Shaw but Lord Lugard's words showed he has personality issues and is racially prejudiced. Check out his words;

"Lagos has for 20 years opposed every Governor and has fomented strife and bloodshed in the
hinterland. I have spent the best part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the
natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after some 29 years, and after nearly 12
years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos and indeed the westerners are
the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most purely prompted by self-seeking money
motives of any people I have met.”

As if that were not bad enough, two years later, on September 25th 1918, in a letter to his
colleague Walter H. Lang, Lugard wrote the following: “The Hausa-Fulani has no ideals, no
ambitions save such as sensual in character. He is a fatalist, spendthrift and a gambler. He is
gravely immoral and is seriously diseased that he is a menace to any community to which he
seeks to attach himself.”

Lugard’s words are utterly reprehensible. They represent the most appalling examples of racial
stereotyping that I have ever seen. Yet he didn’t stop there. In his book titled ‘The Dual Mandate’
(pg. 70) 1926 he wrote the following:

“In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable
person. LACKING IN SELF-CONTROL, DISCIPLINE, AND FORESIGHT. Naturally courageous, and
naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music
and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewelry. HIS THOUGHTS ARE CONCENTRATED ON THE
EVENTS AND FEELINGS OF THE MOMENT, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the
future, or grief for the past. His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European
or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals’ placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the
State he has reached. Through the ages THE AFRICAN APPEARS TO HAVE EVOLVED NO
ORGANIZED RELIGIOUS CREED, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity, the religious
sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a
vague dread of the supernatural . HE LACKS THE POWER OF ORGANIZATION, and is conspicuously
deficient in the management and control alike of men or business. HE LOVES THE DISPLAY OF
POWER, but fails to realize its responsibility… he will work hard with a less incentive than most
races. He has the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue… In brief,
the virtues and defects of this race-type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it
is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy…Perhaps the two
traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are HIS LACK OF
APPREHENSION AND HIS LACK OF ABILITY TO VISUALIZE THE FUTURE.”

The fact is the British came here to satisfy their own interest and any offshoot of their being here should be revisited.

Now I tried to find out the motive behind naming this country 'Nigeria' which means 'Niger area'. Some articles I have seen claims that the Latin word 'niger' which means 'black or darkness' is erroneous. That left me wondering, why would a people numbering more than 150m be answering a name they have no solid background of its true meaning or the genuine motives behind its naming ?

Decades after independence, we are yet to define our concept of nationhood, we are yet to make headway even with all the resources at oir disposal. It is either we rebrand the name of our country to reflect the core values which we stand for OR we create our own meaning of what the name 'Nigeria' means. Because as it stands now, that name has no values attached with it only the knowledge that one woman and her husband from far away came and gave us the name.

Nigeria, as its stands now, is a perfect example of what Lord Lugard wrote hundred years ago. Do we have visionary leaders? How has the country fared since independence? The problem of Nigeria is beyond the name....

5 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Jengem: 10:48am On Jul 25, 2017
Animalfarmistan

Bokoharamce

United Animal Kingdom

Monkeyville

3 Likes

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by nelson16(m): 10:55am On Jul 25, 2017
Nigeria! Nigeria!! Always treating the symptom while ignoring the disease! What's in a name? Call a rose by any other name and it will smell as sweet! Call Nigeria by any other a name and it will remain...
Don't forget NEPA to PHCN though!
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by orisa37: 11:10am On Jul 25, 2017
Nigeria or Hiy
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by orisa37: 11:11am On Jul 25, 2017
Destined2win:
Hmmm. I got you thinking. So what do you suggest?
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 11:13am On Jul 25, 2017
cumbak60:

Nigeria, as its stands now, is a perfect example of what Lord Lugard wrote hundred years ago. Do we have visionary leaders? How has the country fared since independence? The problem of Nigeria is beyond the name....
It might be part of the rebranding efforts. Nigeria's problem might be beyond names but the origin of her names tells you a lot about the foundation on which it was built.
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by orisa37: 11:15am On Jul 25, 2017
NIGERIA is good enough or change to HIY.
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 11:15am On Jul 25, 2017
Jengem:
Animalfarmistan

Bokoharamce

United Animal Kingdom

Monkeyville

grin

I am just laughing at your mind

1 Like

Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 11:16am On Jul 25, 2017
orisa37:
NIGERIA is good enough or change to HIY.
What's HIY?
Re: Happening Now!! Debate On Changing The Country's Name, "Nigeria" Rages On!! by Destined2win: 11:17am On Jul 25, 2017
nelson16:
Nigeria! Nigeria!! Always treating the symptom while ignoring the disease! What's in a name? Call a rose by any other name and it will smell as sweet! Call Nigeria by any other a name and it will remain...
Don't forget NEPA to PHCN though!
It's all about the values on which the nation was built

(1) (2) (Reply)

I have warned them, that there will be a reprisal attack in the North. / Oyo Election Presidential Results / If The Kingdom Of Opobo Is Ijaw, Where Is King Jaja Of Opobo From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.