Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,746 members, 7,837,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili (1509 Views)

The Senate Without Dora Akunyili / Peter Obi’s Sordid Affair With Dora Akunyili / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by woye77: 6:15pm On Feb 07, 2010
If I die I die
•Akunyili opens up on Yar’Adua memo
By Pade Olapuju padepoju@yahoo.com
Sunday, February 7, 2010

When Information and Communications Minister, Prof Dora Akunyili, presented her memorandum asking her colleagues to wake up to their responsibility to the Nigerian nation, tempers flared and voices were raised. Some of the ministers rose from their seats so their voices would carry in the chambers of the Executive Council of the Federation (EXCOF). Some rained insults on her. A few asked her if she had weighed the risks of her presenting such a position paper.

There were also threats of sack from those who felt Akunyili should not continue to stay in council after submitting such a strong-worded memo.
Sunday Sun findings showed that the memorandum took the ministers by surprise and if the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Yayale Ahmed, had not had the presence of mind to ask for the copies already in the hands of the members, it would have been difficult to calm frayed nerves at the meeting.

There were 42 copies of the document with all of the members but when the ministers were told to return them, the SGF discovered that three copies were missing. It took another round of search and persuasion before the missing copies were retrieved.
According to one of the ministers sympathetic to Akunyili’s stand, “I salute Dora’s courage because it takes courage to look your boss in the eye and ask him to step down for his deputy. Many of us are also not comfortable with the way things have gone in the country these past two months, which is why we are supporting her.”

A source at the meeting also told Sunday Sun that the memo took the ministers by surprise.
“We all thought it was just another presentation from her ministry until she started reading. You should have seen the faces of some of the ministers. They shouted, hurled insults at her and some pointedly told her her days were numbered in the council. They asked her if she had weighed the risks of her action. It was really a hot session.

“The meeting ended formally around noon but when I sent one of my aides to the Villa around 4 o’clock later that day, he told me some of the rattled members were still cooped up in a meeting, trying to figure out their next line of action,” the source revealed.
After the meeting ended, ministers were seen standing in groups discussing the memo, most wearing frowns on their faces.
But another minister angrily told this reporter when asked if he thought Akunyili was sincere or grandstanding: “What does it matter now if she is grandstanding? She has boldly stood her ground. Let others also boldly step out and grandstand. All I know is that four Katsina boys cannot continue to hold this nation to ransom.”

Why I did not tell Jonathan - Akunyili
Getting Prof Akunyili to speak on why she seized the EXCOF by the jugular last Wednesday was like trying to squeeze water out of a stone. But after a lot of persuasion, the protagonist agreed to speak with Sunday Sun for a few minutes, with a promise to speak more elaborately on all the issues later.

What prompted the bombshell you dropped on the Executive Council of the Federation on Wednesday?
Let’s just say I got tired of the whole thing. It just got too much for my mind. I could no longer live with myself. I was not sleeping well. I was depressed. My husband thought it was malaria but I knew it was not. I went for tests and nothing was found. I simply knew I could not continue to live a lie. On Tuesday night, I could not sleep at all and I spent half the night praying. That was when I decided to do the memo. I wrote and typed it myself. I only told my Assistants and Special Adviser on Wednesday.

What was their reaction?
Naturally, they thought it was too loaded, too much. They wanted me to tone it down. They were worried about something happening to me but I was resolute. I told them ‘if I die, I die.’ I was not afraid. I know that God who protected me through all my battles in NAFDAC is still alive.

Did you tell the Vice President?
No, I did not tell the VP. I felt he would discourage me if I told him what I wanted to do. I did not tell anybody. It was just a burden I wanted to do something about. It was my burden, my decision. While I was praying on Tuesday night, I remembered one sermon given by one bishop. He said, all the time people were screaming ‘crucify him, crucify him’ at Jesus Christ, nobody spoke up for Jesus. If one person had had the courage to say ‘no, Jesus does not deserve to die,’ perhaps he would not have been crucified. Maybe if someone had mustered the courage to speak up for Jesus, the course of history would have changed. But no, everybody joined the multitude to do evil. Remembering that sermon was instructive. I had to stand even if I was standing alone.

Did you at any point in time try to reason with your colleagues in the cabinet, convince them to join your stand?
Oh yes, I did. About four weeks ago, I tried to talk to some ministers but I did not get any encouragement.

What was the reaction of the ministers when you presented that memo?
I’m sure you can imagine it. Everybody voiced his opinion. Tempers rose but I was not bothered. I am happy with myself. I feel good. I feel like a heavy load has been lifted off my chest. That night I slept well.

Now that you have submitted the memo at the council secretariat, what should we expect next?
I am hopeful that the letter transferring power to Dr Goodluck Jonathan would finally arrive so that the tension in the country can be doused. I also expect that when President Yar’Adua returns, he will take over. The VP cannot stop him from returning to his office. It is not possible. Let me also state clearly that nobody wants Mr President dead. No child of God will wish a fellow human being dead. I don’t want my boss to die. Only evil people want him to die. He will return. So all this tension in the country is unnecessary. We all know what is right and that is what we should do.
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 07, 2010
[size=18pt]PURE LIE

DORA AKUNYILI HAS NOT COMMENTED ON THIS ISSUE YET
[/size]
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by vigasimple(m): 7:38pm On Feb 07, 2010
I think that the Lord has touched one person heart to do good for this country and her people. Very commendale act of patrotism.

Other members of the FEC just take oath to serve Yar A'dua and their own pocket. The issue is very simple, temporary handover until the President is hale and hearty.

Turai and the kitchen cabinet were even going to rush the man back just to prove a point.

We all wish Yar A'dua quick recovery ( if his handlers have being telling us the truth and he is still alive- remember non of his ministers have spoken to him in over 76days).

We thank the good Lord for Mrs. Akunyili for her courage and her conviction ( it is for the betterment of our democarcy and the well being of the Yar A'dua family), she will not die and live long to decalare the name of the Lord. Nigeria will be great country if we all leave fear behind.

You can now start to rebrand Nigeria, but first find her a good brand. Honest leadership.

NIGERIA; GOOD PEOPLE, GREAT NATION, JUST ONE HONEST MINISTER grin grin grin
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by aloyemeka2: 7:40pm On Feb 07, 2010
If I die I die
Sunday, February 7, 2010

grin grin grin grin They are trying to push her more so these Abuja political thugs can dash her one bullet in the head.  Speaker Bankole alone can arrange for her assassination. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by Nigerd(m): 8:19pm On Feb 07, 2010
i think all should know that no matter what power must change hand
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by Nobody: 10:57pm On Feb 07, 2010
mikeansy:

[size=18pt]PURE LIE

DORA AKUNYILI HAS NOT COMMENTED ON THIS ISSUE YET
[/size]
Cyber coward, stay there
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by mamagee3(f): 11:03pm On Feb 07, 2010
Can we please move on, what's with all these Dora Akunyili threads all over the forum? undecided
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by deluxecad(m): 6:09am On Feb 08, 2010
@mama gee: because she deserves the popularity, do u hav the nerve to be the only courageous lamb in a pack of wolves? Abegi!
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by DrKnow1(m): 6:48am On Feb 08, 2010
MAma gee would rather be concerned about threads relating to beauty peagents and cheating lovers than the future of Nigeria. This is politics section, she should go to romance section of NL where she belongs, shior.
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by becomricch: 7:26am On Feb 08, 2010
Come o, una no get gun for abuja. can someone hand her the gun and let see, if she go shoot herself. Joking.   How desperate is this woman for the job of information minister.   This woman no want be jobless OOO,   no be family position.  Come to think of it, why did she not says all this when yar adua was not in coma.   She was praising Yar Adua as if he was HER GOD. She even forgot God because of Yar Adua.  Now that Yar Adua is in coma.  See what she is doing. She is only trying to make Jonathan retain her in her position.

Adedibu say it all. Dora Dora Dora . This is the world. Them follow Yar Adua eat finish, when he is coma, they treat him life enermy. Human. May God forgive you all.  Aiye re O.

Jonathan should be very careful of this woman. she would shout, I will die for anybody.  Dora Dora Dora, where is your faith. When it was good for yar adua , you eat with yar adua, now when it is bad for Yar Adua,  You want die for Jonathan because of position . See world o chineke.  Now people go remember jonathan. But me, i would critic him. God critic those would he loves that what the bible says,
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by opokonwa(m): 10:57am On Feb 08, 2010
If u do good for this country, people will talk, if you do bad, people will talk undecided
Which one people dey sef
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by becomricch: 8:43pm On Feb 08, 2010
Look you, what I mean is that You do not knock a man dead , when he is down. Even jonathan is playing cool, not to look desperate. Obasanjo, Gowon, shagari have said their own. what is special about Dora saying it, Nothing. It is the drama she is putting into it. she was not able to sell yar adua govt to nigerian and the international community. Did Obasanjo or Gowon or shagari say, they would die if Yar Adua does not send letter. even that fine sisi girl from Ijaw who be minister,wetin be her name, never go jump from plane say she go die , if fellow ijaw man no get letter. wisdom my friend is what we need. Check people motive.

Look my brother, it is God that gives a man position. You can have the position and die the next day. it is not of him that will but of God who show you mercy.
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by MrCrackles(m): 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2010
becomricch:

Look you, what I mean is that You do not knock a man dead , when he is down. Even jonathan is playing cool, not to look desperate. Obasanjo, Gowon, shagari have said their own. what is special about Dora saying it, Nothing. It is the drama she is putting into it. she was not able to sell yar adua govt to nigerian and the international community. Did Obasanjo or Gowon or shagari say, they would die if Yar Adua does not send letter. even that fine sisi girl from Ijaw who be minister,wetin be her name, never go jump from plane say she go die , if fellow ijaw man no get letter. wisdom my friend is what we need. Check people motive.

Look my brother, it is God that gives a man position. You can have the position and die the next day. it is not of him that will but of God who show you mercy.

Shut up my friend. . . Are you insane?
What are you on about
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by oge4real(f): 8:58pm On Feb 08, 2010
^^Beats me sef.
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by edoyad(m): 9:08pm On Feb 08, 2010
Dora them no fit kill you, like they say here, "actor no dey die"
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by Akanbiedu(m): 9:18pm On Feb 08, 2010
woye77:

If I die I die
Sunday, February 7, 2010

When Information and Communications Minister, Prof Dora Akunyili, presented her memorandum asking her colleagues to wake up to their responsibility to the Nigerian nation, tempers flared and voices were raised. Some of the ministers rose from their seats so their voices would carry in the chambers of the Executive Council of the Federation (EXCOF). Some rained insults on her. A few asked her if she had weighed the risks of her presenting such a position paper.

There were also threats of sack from those who felt Akunyili should not continue to stay in council after submitting such a strong-worded memo.
Sunday Sun findings showed that the memorandum took the ministers by surprise and if the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Yayale Ahmed, had not had the presence of mind to ask for the copies already in the hands of the members, it would have been difficult to calm frayed nerves at the meeting.

There were 42 copies of the document with all of the members but when the ministers were told to return them, the SGF discovered that three copies were missing. It took another round of search and persuasion before the missing copies were retrieved.
According to one of the ministers sympathetic to Akunyili’s stand, “I salute Dora’s courage because it takes courage to look your boss in the eye and ask him to step down for his deputy. Many of us are also not comfortable with the way things have gone in the country these past two months, which is why we are supporting her.”

A source at the meeting also told Sunday Sun that the memo took the ministers by surprise.
“We all thought it was just another presentation from her ministry until she started reading. You should have seen the faces of some of the ministers. They shouted, hurled insults at her and some pointedly told her her days were numbered in the council. They asked her if she had weighed the risks of her action. It was really a hot session.

“The meeting ended formally around noon but when I sent one of my aides to the Villa around 4 o’clock later that day, he told me some of the rattled members were still cooped up in a meeting, trying to figure out their next line of action,” the source revealed.
After the meeting ended, ministers were seen standing in groups discussing the memo, most wearing frowns on their faces.
But another minister angrily told this reporter when asked if he thought Akunyili was sincere or grandstanding: “What does it matter now if she is grandstanding? She has boldly stood her ground. Let others also boldly step out and grandstand. All I know is that four Katsina boys cannot continue to hold this nation to ransom.”

Why I did not tell Jonathan - Akunyili
Getting Prof Akunyili to speak on why she seized the EXCOF by the jugular last Wednesday was like trying to squeeze water out of a stone. But after a lot of persuasion, the protagonist agreed to speak with Sunday Sun for a few minutes, with a promise to speak more elaborately on all the issues later.

What prompted the bombshell you dropped on the Executive Council of the Federation on Wednesday?
Let’s just say I got tired of the whole thing. It just got too much for my mind. I could no longer live with myself. I was not sleeping well. I was depressed. My husband thought it was malaria but I knew it was not. I went for tests and nothing was found. I simply knew I could not continue to live a lie. On Tuesday night, I could not sleep at all and I spent half the night praying. That was when I decided to do the memo. I wrote and typed it myself. I only told my Assistants and Special Adviser on Wednesday.

What was their reaction?
Naturally, they thought it was too loaded, too much. They wanted me to tone it down. They were worried about something happening to me but I was resolute. I told them ‘if I die, I die.’ I was not afraid. I know that God who protected me through all my battles in NAFDAC is still alive.

Did you tell the Vice President?
No, I did not tell the VP. I felt he would discourage me if I told him what I wanted to do. I did not tell anybody. It was just a burden I wanted to do something about. It was my burden, my decision. While I was praying on Tuesday night, I remembered one sermon given by one bishop. He said, all the time people were screaming ‘crucify him, crucify him’ at Jesus Christ, nobody spoke up for Jesus. If one person had had the courage to say ‘no, Jesus does not deserve to die,’ perhaps he would not have been crucified. Maybe if someone had mustered the courage to speak up for Jesus, the course of history would have changed. But no, everybody joined the multitude to do evil. Remembering that sermon was instructive. I had to stand even if I was standing alone.

Did you at any point in time try to reason with your colleagues in the cabinet, convince them to join your stand?
Oh yes, I did. About four weeks ago, I tried to talk to some ministers but I did not get any encouragement.

What was the reaction of the ministers when you presented that memo?
I’m sure you can imagine it. Everybody voiced his opinion. Tempers rose but I was not bothered. I am happy with myself. I feel good. I feel like a heavy load has been lifted off my chest. That night I slept well.

Now that you have submitted the memo at the council secretariat, what should we expect next?
I am hopeful that the letter transferring power to Dr Goodluck Jonathan would finally arrive so that the tension in the country can be doused. I also expect that when President Yar’Adua returns, he will take over. The VP cannot stop him from returning to his office. It is not possible. Let me also state clearly that nobody wants Mr President dead. No child of God will wish a fellow human being dead. I don’t want my boss to die. Only evil people want him to die. He will return. So all this tension in the country is unnecessary. We all know what is right and that is what we should do.

A subtle attempt to use religion here. Just a pity that people are buying this woman bull. She has to get all her lost glory back. Please tell aunty Dora to resign her appointment first before we take her seriously.
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by edoyad(m): 9:47pm On Feb 08, 2010
Why should she resign before completing her mission ? Everybody knows the best way to eight the enemy is from within. If she resigns she becomes an outsider and her actions less damaging on the cabal.
Re: If I Die, I Die - Dora Akunyili by becomricch: 3:08am On Feb 09, 2010
There is a time to be quiet and a time to speak. And think at this point , with the international image Nigeria as, we need a change in the Ministry of information. Ministry of information has failed to sell Nigeria image to Nigerian and the International community. With the mess we are in international. A change is the only solution.

The truth is her statement are working against Jonathan. It is not automatic that Jonathan would get the job. Look the constitution says, they must set a medical report board. And take the result to the national assembly. They are the one who makes the decision. And northerner can vote against it, from the way she is carrying on. or do you think dora can vote in the national assembly. Now you.

Analysis the national assembly and tell me which group would vote for Jonathan with the way Dora is doing it. look people are in the national assembly are expected to vote only for tribal reason, they are not expected to vote for national interest. Or do you think Dora as any power to tell the Igbos in the national assembly to vote for Jonathan. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The igbos are going to vote for what would pay thier people, The fulani/hausa are going to vote for what would pay thier people,The yorubas are going to vote for what would pay thier people. That is what politics is about. It as nothing to do with national interest. Nobody send them because of national interest, but to fight for thier people.

You cant predict the outcome. So she should be silence. All of her talking and talking , which of them is helping Jonathan, it is only provoke hate. Is that her motive.

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Militants Call For Nigeria Jihad / Deposed Deji Of Akure Should Commit Suicide - Akinyele / Female Lawmaker Embarrassed For Wearing Sleeveless To Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.