Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,869 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Are There Jobs In Uk ? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are There Jobs In Uk ? (24795 Views)

2016 CHEVENING MSC SCHOLARSHIPS IN UK UNIVERSITIES / Nigerian Graduate Who Shared CVs In UK Subway Now Hiring (Photo) / Any Jobs In Oil/Gas Sector? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by pearl2(m): 10:38pm On Feb 09, 2010
I've had a good time reading thru the posts. Sometimes I just laugh to myself at some
people's sense of humour while making their points.
When I was in JSS2 or 3 ages ago, in a social studies lecture, I remember a topic
our teacher taught us 'Dignity of Labour'. Somehow for some reason, I've never
forgotten it. Don't ever mock or look down on other people solely because of what
they LEGITIMATELY do to earn their living. The world is not always black and white.

Also, I would like to agree with a previous poster that our experiences inform our opinion,
It's always good to be aware of this to avoid over generalization. If you come to UK and
live or move among Nigerians still struggling to get their firm footing, you are likely to conclude
that, that is the lot of every Nigerian here, conversely, if you live among well established Nigerians,
you are apt to conclude that all Nigerians have easy life. Remember, it's not always black and white.
Sometimes, it's grey!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by ikhideman(m): 11:25pm On Feb 09, 2010
@ Pafun: Don't mind them!! grin

We need more persons in Nigeria who have your type of mentality with regards to having your own business.

Many of the people who replied got the interpretation they desired to get from your post; most of them are writing out of sentiments and almost deviating from your original point - which is "Go & Start something"; My Pastor even had to preach a message on this late last year, starting with Luke 19:12-26 & John 6:5-13.
An entrepreneur based economy is always better and more vibrant.

Dream Big, start small, Go & Start Something!!!

N.B. Pafun, I have a business idea, but it needs inputs from persons like you for it to take-off fully, so that I can finally attain Financial Freedom; issue is, it can't be discussed on this forum. How do we communicate?

Thanks
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by alanbolo(m): 11:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
@ Poster,  in as much as u intend to let out your frustrations about grown-up men living like parasite, u blew it up by the way u worded your intentions.  Moreover, based on your previous tread, it seems there this hatred towards that part of the universe.   If u knew what should be done with your friend without a job in UK, u should just go ahead and assist him but if u need other input, there is no need to attack every suggestion brought forward in this forum.  

If u intend to contribute to the development in the country, then create more invest-able environment that will lure pple back home and do theirs.  If ure saying beef about this issue and about one person, what about other parts of the world where the situations are even dire?  If he lives off his wife/children/family, it's still better than been a beggar on the street or better worse, a 419 in a foreign land.  

I believed u're matured enough to call off the attacks on NL, and if u want to see the "best of the best" and dirtiest of them all, am personally inviting u to ObamaLand.  I will personally take time to tour u around for 3 days only, maybe you'll have more to say afterwards.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by tbaba83(m): 11:38pm On Feb 09, 2010
some people are clowns. a job is a job. its not meant to be fun. wether its sweeping floors or washing the dead body what makes it any different from a banker who detests the corporate career. if u are going to compare the money then that is where you are wrong. Our nigerian economy is so poor that even a british janitor can stand side by side with an average nigerian graduate working class financially. To each his own. If u enjoy breeding smelly fish and chicken well good luck to u since it pays the bills. There is clearly no room for comparison between uk and nigeria. i know everyone is trying to be patriotic but dont let your loyalty sugarcoat the true harshness of the nigerian economy
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by ladej(m): 11:49pm On Feb 09, 2010
debosky:

Undue criticism of the OP here - he made a comment about his friends in particular and about the 'sad faces' he saw in a church. That does not imply a blanket condemnation of the UK or wholesale praise of life in Nigeria.

An individual's views is often borne out of personal experience. In his own opinion, staying at home at 40 is unacceptable - he'd do whatever is necessary to work an earn a living without depending on his wife for sustenance. That is all he's said, and the UK defenders come out in full force.

As always he can't say too much about others experiences, just his and his own worldview.

Like someone said, you can't base your life on another person's template - examine whatever situation you're in and decide what is most important to you. Some will applaud you for it, some will insult you for it, but do the best thing for yourself and your family.

The UK is no picnic, and Nigeria is no tea party either. People are making good livings in both places - the key is for each individual to make his own decision and give it his absolute best.

My contribution would be similar to one previous - don't look down on people simply because they aren't well off, and in whatever way you can, give them assistance - in word, in kind, in cash, in connections, whatever you can do.
this view is perhaps one of, if not the best constructed response to the collective barrage of bizarre, well spoken and totally digressive comments. the poster did not mean to generalise and lets be honest, staying at home IN ANY COUNTRY at 40 is unacceptable. while it could be as a result of the economic crisis one always has to try to improve the situation, not accept it as fate. if improving it means the person affected need to relocate then so be it, otherwise a different approach has to be taken to improve the dire problem. no country is easy, even when you have the papers in the UK/US and good job etc, there is something you cannot ignore. your colour !
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by MT: 12:08am On Feb 10, 2010
I dont think pafun deserved to be tongue-lashed. It depends on the way you view his comment.

I think I get a good picuture of what he's trying to paint. He might have made little mistake in presenting his case, overall I guess he has made a very good point.

Should we be insulting people anytime we dont agree with their views and opinions ?. I guess thats wrong. Its fast becoming a culture on NL.

There are better, matured ways of airing opinions without insulting other parties.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by bilqiss(f): 12:28am On Feb 10, 2010
You have all spoken well ( for and against). Good one @ pafun for taking almost everyone on with little or no support.
Of course I don't agree with all you have said, neither do I agree with your antagonists. Life is not black and white, cut-and-dried, nor easy to judge as you have done. Yes, judge. You sound really judgemental. This issue has been thrashed for ages, ever since it leaked out that not all Nigerians living abroad are actually living well.

That said, I think where ever you find yourself, just try and make the best of your situation. It's hard to leave and hard to stay, so let every one just hope for the best, I guess.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by canuck(m): 12:38am On Feb 10, 2010
Pafun's post is well intentioned, it went off the deep end, and so did the criticisms from NLders, at the point of generalization.

Many people I know in the UK fall into both categories - (1) Downtrodden, defeated, no-plans-for-the-future, yet, would rather die than return to Naija, and (2) Highly successful Nigerian professionals and business folks doing exceedingly well.

Where the seed is planted matters of course, but in life, success depends on the the seed itself.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by shotster50(m): 1:06am On Feb 10, 2010
Pafun I really think you have had this bashing coming to you. We are all entitled to our views, you made yours clear in a previous thread, and here you are again trying to stir things up.

Moving on,

Why is it so hard for Nigerians to differentiate between hating and criticism??!!! Quite a number of people here are being labelled anything from traitors to turn coats simply for the mere fact that they expressed their thoughts and they happen to reside in the U.K. Anytime one voices their opinion, one is labelled a traitor. I am no less a patriot than a Nigerian at home. If I say I prefer living in the UK , IT DOES NOT MEAN I HATE NIGERIA.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by justwise(m): 1:26am On Feb 10, 2010
MT:

I dont think pafun deserved to be tongue-lashed. It depends on the way you view his comment.
I think I get a good picuture of what he's trying to paint. He might have made little mistake in presenting his case, overall I guess he has made a very good point.
Should we be insulting people anytime we dont agree with their views and opinions ?. I guess thats wrong. Its fast becoming a culture on NL.
There are better, matured ways of airing opinions without insulting other parties.

I think he deserved the tongue lashing, he was all over with his points. This is the area that got me going: The Naija churches in London are filled with peeps wearing mournful looks and you can see that their lives are going nowhere because most don't have a job anymore but they are too proud to let anybody know that. Why can't people just get wise that they are living in fool's paradise
That was what he was going on about, the story about his 2friends is just a cover up.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Nobody: 1:38am On Feb 10, 2010
why can't Nl people just get along and be polite, you don't have to disrespect anybody to get your point across. That's why it's scary to post on this forum sometimes. Please if you had a bad day don't come on Nairaland to discharge,  lipsrsealed
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Wallie(m): 2:29am On Feb 10, 2010
I don’t really have much substantive stuff to add except that there’s nothing wrong in earning an honest living even if it means cleaning toilets or flipping burgers. I think the key is, whatever your hustle is, think big!

I personally know someone that worked as an assistant manager at McDonalds and ended up saving almost $100K in a few Years, although he worked over 80 hrs per week. He then quit the McDonalds job to open a restaurant and a kiosk making and serving pastry but he lost both businesses due inexperience/knowledge and being cheap. When he bought the businesses, he failed to contact a lawyer or someone with business acumen to do due diligence and he ended up buying places with leases that were expiring. With his luck, the landlord refused to renew the lease to the restaurant and the school campus where the kiosk was located closed.  He recently just opened another restaurant.

Also, there’s nothing wrong in cleaning toilets or offices, as long as you have an exit strategy to better yourself. But bettering yourself doesn’t necessarily mean you have to switch to a different industry or go to school, it could be as simple as owning your own cleaning service. Here’s a cleaning service that’s worth millions and even offers franchises http://www.merrymaids.com/

Further, I don’t know about the UK but here in the US, artisans charged a sh*t load of money. My mechanic charges a little over $100 per hour.

A few months ago, I had a small leak from one of the pipes in my ceiling. When I called the plumber, he charged me $250 just for coming out to see and maybe fix it. To fix it, he had to cut a hole in my ceiling. After fixing it, he said I had to call somebody else to fix the hole he cut into the ceiling. When I called the person, he wanted to charge me another $200 to fix the book-sized hole; I told him that I would take my chances fixing it myself.

Here’s another anecdote.  I requested a quote from a company that finishes basements. He gave me a quote of $71K and this was something that I was quoted $20k about 5 years ago! $71K for stuff I started doing myself but lost interest in finishing it?

It is funny how I yearn so much to have the knowledge that they have! I have almost every type of power tools, wrench sets and books that will allow me to fix almost anything short of rebuilding my car and house. But I lack the requisite knowledge after 21+ years of formal education.

Here’s a bodyshop owner crashing his $1.4 million Bugatti Veyron into a lake. Some said it was publicity stunt to showcase his restoration skills, others said it was insurance fraud. The bottom line is, he’s just a mechanic and he owned a $1.4 million car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJa32RvAtPE

The crux of my diatribe is that artisans can make very good money and shouldn’t be looked down on. Some of them have specialized knowledge that we all need to function and they politely bend us over when we visit their domain. I think as long as they can step their hustle game up and become an owner rather than just another worker earning minimum wage, they have my respect!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Theblessed(f): 2:37am On Feb 10, 2010
joxiri:

pafun those your friends who are 40 and at home, just dont want to work all those people going to embassy in nigeria are willing to come here to do shite jobs
  them guys u ve mentioned are not desperate cos just as there are jobs in niger there are jobs here if they mind cleaning or other menial jobs they will definetly get a job maybe not asap but 2 yrs at home
  lets not deceive ourselves those 40 yr old men are just layabouts who dont wanna work
  man they should go job centre and they will get trainned on driving fork lift trucks or something

Would not keep a lazy man! Why should I?   
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Theblessed(f): 3:12am On Feb 10, 2010
joxiri:

pafun those your friends who are 40 and at home, just dont want to work all those people going to embassy in nigeria are willing to come here to do shite jobs
  them guys u ve mentioned are not desperate cos just as there are jobs in niger there are jobs here if they mind cleaning or other menial jobs they will definetly get a job maybe not asap but 2 yrs at home
  lets not deceive ourselves those 40 yr old men are just layabouts who dont wanna work
  man they should go job centre and they will get trainned on driving fork lift trucks or something

[b] Keep saying the truth!  These guys are nothing but lazy a-se holes who don't want to lift a finger as long as their 'slave girls' wives are there to spin out their monthly salaries to keep them.  

Tell me, who would want to go to work in this cold weather when you have a meal ticket spinning out salaries every month, would you

Well, it's not their fault! Stop blaming the men!  Blame the desperate husband seeking Nigerian woman and the Pentecostal Church Pastors in the UK preaching 'Marriage at all cost' as if marriage is compulsory.  

Get me right yes, marriage is good however, marriage is not compulsory and not for everyone otherwise, Mary Magdalene would have married and our Lord Jesus Christ himself, would have shown that idea himself as an example. After all, his own parents were married, weren't the?? So, marriage is not compulsory but the Churches are making it look as if, if one is not married something is wrong - no, it's not!  Using marriage as a key issue, they ensure strong foot holds for lazy men/women to find fertile soil to plant in.

The problem here is, most people don't use their brains rather, they follow their emotions.  They prefer others to think for them. As far as they are concerned, and still go to church every Sunday, whatever the pastor says in Church is absolute truth. But, this Pastor, is he/she God?  The only person that can intercede (i.e. plead) for us is Jesus Christ out Lord and Saviour - no one else! When some Pastors tells you God said, ignore them. 

Yes, God does speak to some Prophets/Prophetesses about us however, these days everyone that carries a Bible calls themselves a prophet/prophetess and thus, vomit nonsense which vulnerable people easily believe and give their money for hence, the lucrative business Evangelism has become these days. In fact, I could even call myself a prophetess now and by December, I would be immensely rich!  It's a shame people dare not find out the truth themselves by reading their own Bibles. 

Again, in the Church. it's all about marriage.  They keep preaching marriage to young people hence the 'culture' these days in London, is someone you don't know meeting you for the first time and asking 'Are you married?' assuming you are single and have a career.  

Well, good luck to women who can keep an unemployed husbands that long.  As far as I'm concerned, a man has to 'dirty' his hands to feed his family irrespective of the nature of the job even if it's 'truck pushing' as long as he brings bread home.  You see, doing so does not only help maintain the family but also his 'respect and dignity'.

Personally, I can not keep a man let alone an unemployed husband, noooooooooooo! For me, you have only 3 months to find a job - anything that keeps you out of the house else, you're out like a flash, trust me!!!!!!!!!! There's no two ways about it.

Also, telling them to go back home with/without children is not a good option however, trying your hands in any kind of honest living will definitely help situation than seeing an able bodied man in his active working life lying lazy in the house doing nothing but, waiting to sign his next 'Giro' at the Job Centre every 2 weeks, how shameful!!

But, one thing I know about these lazy a-se holes are, they are good at nothing but creative thinking - thinking out selfish bad ideas.  Good at seeking/smelling out opportunities that favours them and at manipulating people hence, their successes in marrying vulnerable women who are psychologically/emotionally in need thus, are happy to keep and feed these lazy baboons forever.  Why?  Because of their need for attachment. To such women, they must have a man in the house else, what are they living for?

A confident woman, would not touch such men with a badge pole even if they are the only man on this God's planet earth.  

So lazy man, get off that couch and get a job I say, ANY JOB would do to feed your family and stop manipulating your innocent wife who doesn't know what to do with you.  

And to you woman, give him his mandate 2 - 6 month to get any job (if you can) else, kick him out in this cold weather and he would realise how good a woman you've been towards him angry angry.
[/b]
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by saintbiddy(m): 3:28am On Feb 10, 2010
@ pafun whatever point your trying to pass across to the people in this forum is not being said in the best way, you cant just conclude that most Nigerians living in the uk depends on there wives,Nigerians are in high places in this country.we are making good names for our motherland in this part of the world, if england is just like Nigerian labour market you shouldnt have been here visiting you would have sticked to your farm and looking at the fishes growing up in the pond.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Outstrip(f): 5:24am On Feb 10, 2010
Why should a grown man be living of his wife in the UK. Why can't he get a job?
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by gbigbega: 8:10am On Feb 10, 2010
Guys lets be sincere,

I think most of you trying to defend jobs in the UK are been dilusional. Nigeria is far better, many nigerian who find themselves in the UK don't have permit to do a good job no matter how professional they are. Most go into the UK as illegal immigrant or study and so are not entitled to get good job.

Most people who live in the UK run away when friends from home come visiting. They dont want them to see their secret. they dont want them to know they are slaving it out in the UK. Visiting Nigerians are the one who go there to spend, the ones resident are very stingy because they dont have much. They cant come home because they cant get a good job. This is majorly because they have either been sweeping a street, cleaning offices, doing body guard, and "Peke" in the toilets.Tell me what revelance will such a person be in the professional field. No matter where such go, he cannot get a job meant for professionals.

My advice to people going to the UK is that you should not go there to work. guess what you are competing with the Indigenes, you dont have a work permit and you are black. Event if you school there, please still come back because you will hardly get a good job. If you are a mechanic, carpenter etc who is use to labouring for few naira, then you can go and do same mania job there for more.

Many are afraid to return home because they dont have what it takes to survive in Nigeria.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by Striker1(m): 9:36am On Feb 10, 2010
OH MY DAYS ! THIS HAS GOT TO BE ONE OF THE BEST POSTS I'VE COME ACROSS ON NL.

PARFUN DOES HAVE A POINT AND I COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH HIM, IF THINGS AREN'T WORKING OUT FOR U IN THE UK, BE MAN ENOUGH TO CLOSE SHOP AND MOVE ! - ANYWHERE, IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO BE BACK TO NAIJ ! GO TO FREAKING VIETNAM IF THE GRASS IS GREENER THERE !

FAIR ENOUGH , THESE VIEWS ARE SUBJECTIVE AND EVERYONE IS BOUND TO HAVE THEIR UNIQUE EXPERIENCES, MY TAKE ? BOTH NAIJ AND THE UK HAVE PEOPLE FLEXING AND PEOPLE ROASTING ! JUST CHOOSE WHICH ONE SUITS YOU,

I'M REALLY TAKEN ABACK BY PEOPLE WHO CLAIM TO BE LIVING IN DEVELOPED COUNTRIES AND STILL CAN'T MAKE SOUND LOGICAL ARGUMENTS !, AND TYPICALLY THEY END UP TONGUE LASHING OR JUST USING ABUSIVE,DEROGATORY OR LEWD LANGUAGE !, MY ADVICE ? READ ALOT OF GOOD LITERATURE, STEVEN COVEY PERHAPS,

BUT NOTHING, AND I REPEAT NOTHING, MAKES MY HEART RACE IN SHEER ECSTACY WHEN I READ SOME OTHER PEOPLE'S COMMENTS, AT FIRST I GET A SENSE OF NATIONAL PRIDE, COS COMMON THEY'VE GOT TO BE NIGERIANS ! THEN THERE'S THAT SENSE OF HOPE ! HOPE THAT SOMEDAY, SUCH GREAT MINDS CAN RETURN BACK HOME AND EFFECT THE CHANGE NECESSARY TO MOVE THIS NATION FORWARD !

THEY SAY 'REAL RECOGNISE REAL', THATS WHY I'VE JUST GOT TO GIVE PROPS TO PEOPLE LIKE Sexxxxxy, solakk, and annekix, no doubt ur smart, cos reading ur comments was just AMAZING ! And Debosky cant go ummentioned, the dude's comment really summarises all i would have wanted to say !

SO LEARN PEOPLE, LEARN ! UR IN THE PRESENCE OF GREAT MINDS ! AND AS I'VE LEARNED TODAY, IF YOU WANT TO LEARN HOW TO FLY, YOU WOULDN'T GO TAKING ADVICE FROM A PENGUIN NOW WOULD YOU ?

ONE LOVE LADIES AND GENTLEMEN !
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by IykeD(m): 9:46am On Feb 10, 2010
Mr Pafun probably had good intentions but his choice of words were pretty bad.There are many Nigerians doing great in the UK, some even have their own Businesses employing others. May be you had a small problem while in the UK and when you got home, dangled into private biz and made it so you now think it was a waste of time even going there in the first place and you feel every Nigerian in the Uk should come back home and do same.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by justwise(m): 9:49am On Feb 10, 2010
@Striker

PARFUN may have a point but he couldn't put it across without generalising. There is no doubt that there are people who are going through hard time here BUT that does not mean in anyway that those he saw in church are going through the same.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by martinosi: 10:13am On Feb 10, 2010
Here we go again. Alot of people "GASING" for no reason.
This is a no brainer and we all know this. That
at the moment right now A nigerian with a School Leavers
certificate who comes to the UK stands a better chance of getting
a good Job and earning more money and living a better life than
a Nigerian With a master degree who is looking fora Job in Nigeria!!!

IT JUST THE TRUTH!!!

And an Answer to the point of Nigerians with no Jobs
and living on their wives salaries in the UK who are nurses

DONT FOOL YOURSELF. Beause in the UK Work is not measured
by working a 9 to 5 Job.

On average Nigerian Men are not fools! a nigerian man
can be sitting at home all day in the uk and money is entering
his bank account on a weekly or monthly basis!!!

And he is not doing anything illegal!!!

The Job Market in the UK is 75% willingness to Learn on the
job and Experience and 25% Qualification.

I have worked for in Investment BankinG, Insurance, Construction, Education
and Central Govt (Legal & Democratic Initiatives) in the UK
and i have a degree in Business Studies

Right now its better for a Nigerian Graduate to aleast work abroad
for 2 to 3 years to gain international experience even if he
still wants to Work or do business permanately in Nigeria.

I have friends who have good jobs in nigeria and are paid very
well in the area's or Oil Gas, The F.I.R.E sector
(Finance, Insurance,Real Estate), Construction, Telecoms etc
but still lack that exposure which come with International
Experience.

To reach the Pinnacle of Any Profession right now you need
International Experience or International Exposure becuase
every thing is just Global in dimension now.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by zeedee(f): 11:48am On Feb 10, 2010
Big ups to pafun.

You've stuck to your point staunchly despite all the rapid fire.

Home is home.
Grass might be greener elsewhere and it's our natural tendency as human beings to go where the grass is greener. . . But I have this to say to the topic:
There are jobs in the UK even for Nigerians but the FACT is that at least 70% of our Nigerians out there AREN'T working at jobs they would be proud of telling their mates about.

I was born abroad, lived in several countries and right now I'm in Nigeria. I came back in '08, finished my youth service feb '09. I'm now working at a good job (but before that, i was at a smaller job for 6 months). My goal is to get an international job that keeps me travelling and I'll probably leave Nigeria again before the end of this year (for other reasons). But after everything, I'm coming back and I'm going to make a home for myself here matter how tough it is. Even if i marry 'oyinbo'.

Mr. justwise, you slipped up here (couldn't get the quote from page 3):

"You are not making any sense, there is no contract for life, it has time limit and when u are done with now, u get another one. You should be happy to have one. Not everybody wants to be a senator, stealing money, doing all sort of nonsense to make a living.
"

I want to be a senator or a minister one day and I don't intend on "stealing money," or "doing all sort of nonsense to make a living."
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by tboy1(m): 12:03pm On Feb 10, 2010
gbigbega:

Guys lets be sincere,
I think most of you trying to defend jobs in the UK are been dilusional. Nigeria is far better, many nigerian who find themselves in the UK don't have permit to do a good job no matter how professional they are. Most go into the UK as illegal immigrant or study and so are not entitled to get good job.
Most people who live in the UK run away when friends from home come visiting. They dont want them to see their secret. they dont want them to know they are slaving it out in the UK. Visiting Nigerians are the one who go there to spend, the ones resident are very stingy because they dont have much. They cant come home because they cant get a good job. This is majorly because they have either been sweeping a street, cleaning offices, doing body guard, and "Peke" in the toilets.Tell me what revelance will such a person be in the professional field. No matter where such go, he cannot get a job meant for professionals.
My advice to people going to the UK is that you should not go there to work. guess what you are competing with the Indigenes, you dont have a work permit and you are black. Event if you school there, please still come back because you will hardly get a good job. If you are a mechanic, carpenter etc who is use to labouring for few naira, then you can go and do same mania job there for more.
Many are afraid to return home because they dont have what it takes to survive in Nigeria.

Typical mentality of an ignorant Nigerian - What a Shame cry cry cry
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by justwise(m): 12:10pm On Feb 10, 2010
zeedee:

Big ups to pafun. You've stuck to your point staunchly despite all the rapid fire.
Home is home. Grass might be greener elsewhere and it's our natural tendency as human beings to go where the grass is greener. . . But I have this to say to the topic:There are jobs in the UK even for Nigerians but the FACT is that at least 70% of our Nigerians out there AREN'T working at jobs they would be proud of telling their mates about.I was born abroad, lived in several countries and right now I'm in Nigeria. I came back in '08, finished my youth service feb '09. I'm now working at a good job (but before that, i was at a smaller job for 6 months). My goal is to get an international job that keeps me travelling and I'll probably leave Nigeria again before the end of this year (for other reasons). But after everything, I'm coming back and I'm going to make a home for myself here matter how tough it is. Even if i marry 'oyinbo'.Mr. justwise, you slipped up here (couldn't get the quote from page 3):"You are not making any sense, there is no contract for life, it has time limit and when u are done with now, u get another one. You should be happy to have one. Not everybody wants to be a senator, stealing money, doing all sort of nonsense to make a living.[/b[b]]"I want to be a senator or a minister one day and I don't intend on "stealing money," or "doing all sort of nonsense to make a living."
When u become one and keep your hands off public money then you will have my 100% respect and i will render my apologies here. But chances are that u will join the looting, i maybe talking rubbish.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by zeedee(f): 12:24pm On Feb 10, 2010
Yes, you may be talking rubbish.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by martinosi: 1:02pm On Feb 10, 2010
zeedee:

YEAH RIGHT - ZEEDEE!!!
U R Such a Joke!!!
99.9% of all Politicians have dirt on them
all other the world, The usa & uk are no exceptions
and in Nigeria the Probability of Graft/Corruption
in Political Office is High! Very High!!!
So lets leave all that "We are Respectable Nigerian" Talk
and Face the Reality on Ground!!!

The Chances are that Most of the posters that are supporting
the "Thread-starter" will "Steal"
if they are in Political Office Period!!!
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by AjanleKoko: 1:04pm On Feb 10, 2010
Na wa o!

'Are there jobs in the UK' don turn to another 'which is better, Nigeria or UK?' thread!
Are you guys not tired of this?
I actually thought you guys wanted to discuss the UK job market, and provide useful information for whoever might be interested.
Nigerians' matter no dey ever simple sha. Small wonder the nation is always in crisis.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by cap28: 1:25pm On Feb 10, 2010
Honestly I am honestly really pissed off. Visiting UK  and found two friends - grown up men in their 40s,  who have not had a job for almost two years and just living on their wives who are nurses. I am sure there are hundreds of similar instances like that all over. The Naija churches in London are filled with peeps wearing mournful looks and you can see that their lives are going nowhere because most don't have a job anymore but they are too proud to let anybody know that. Why can't people just get wise that they are living in fool's paradise And surprisingly there are thousands of youths in Naija warming up and spending their lives applying for visa under any kind of guise to go an earn pound sterling. London job market is more bombed than Lagos . At least at home you get sympathy and well perhaps nothing else but here in London there is "no paddy for jungle"

to answer the question you cited above in your thread - no there are no jobs in the uk  -the few that do exist are certainly not being given to foreigners  therefore the situation that your friends have found themselves is going to increasingly become the norm amongst many nigerians particularly the ones doing jobs which do not require a high level of skill or expertise.  

this country is going through one of the worst economic  recessions since the great depression in america of 1929 and i can tell you that economic forecasters are not predicting anything positive in the near future.

you are right in saying that many of us here are wasting our lives, that is the truth - for the most part the only professions which have a shortage of indigenous labour and therefore depend on immigrant labour are the medical sciences and perhaps other areas of science and research like chemistry, biomedics scientific research etc  - outside these areas what you have is a surplus of labour with too many applicants chasing too few jobs.  

in the past there was  a surplus of casual jobs but all these types of jobs are now being snapped up by whites who are now desperate to hold on to any job rather than lose their ability to pay their mortgages and thereby lose their homes. so where does this leave nigerians in the scheme of things - in deep sh.it thats where.

i think your comments about taking the plunge and going home is a good one but it requires careful planning and thought - sooner or later we are going to have to face up to the fact that there is nothing here in this country for us, even if you are "fortunate" enough to be able to hang on to a job you still have to deal with daily undermining of your intellectual ability by your white colleagues who do not want you here in the first place.  we cannot continue to bury our heads in the sand and pretend that we are better off here rather than back home simply because we are eating three square meals a day, the reality of the situation is that whites do not want us here, they are very open about it and you only have to work in an office with them to see how much they despise us.

many think that they are doing us a favour by allowing us to live and work in their country without realising that the reason we are here is because their govts in collaboration with our dictators have hijacked the economic resources of our country and plundered our economies.  

the truth of the matter is that we cant have it both ways - its either we make sacrifices and go back and try to change things thereby taking control of our own destinies or we remain here and live like slaves.  Yes slaves,  all black people no matter how much money they have are living as slaves in the western world - we are the least respected race of people in the diaspora, there is a pecking order of racial superiority here in the west and i can tell you that blacks irrespective of their so called acheivements and education are always placed at the bottom.  what is the solution? the solution from where im standing is to see things from a long term perspective ie how do we improve things for our children and our grand children, i can tell you that it is not by remaining here in a country that despises and disrespects us.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by justwise(m): 1:41pm On Feb 10, 2010
zeedee:

No prb, good luck with ur senatoria ambition.
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by sexxxxy(f): 1:49pm On Feb 10, 2010
gbigbega:

Guys lets be sincere,

Did u read that jargons in a book or home movie?, cos u r chatting rubbish,
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by justwise(m): 1:50pm On Feb 10, 2010
@cap28
Said:

the truth of the matter is that we cant have it both ways - its either we make sacrifices and go back and try to change things thereby taking control of our own destinies or we remain here and live like slaves.  Yes slaves,  all black people no matter how much money they have are living as slaves in the western world - we are the least respected race of people in the diaspora, there is a pecking order of racial superiority here in the west and i can tell you that blacks irrespective of their so called acheivements and education are always placed at the bottom.  what is the solution? the solution from where im standing is to see things from a long term perspective ie how do we improve things for our children and our grand children, i can tell you that it is not by remaining here in a country that despises and disrespects us.

Your view is old fashioned, outdated and dam right out of order. Do you u know what slave means?
If you saw yourself as a slave here why are u still here?
Re: Are There Jobs In Uk ? by lolupee(m): 2:17pm On Feb 10, 2010
Hi Pafun,

Let me answer by saying; A NIGERIAN OR ANYBODY FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD CAN GET A GOOD JOB IN NIGERIA.
Secondly, there is no best place or best situation anywhere in the world, what some nations lack, some Nations have in abundance.

As per jobs and making a living, I swear……………, UK is a place where you can come to and reach the top purely based on what you know , not ‘who’ you know
As it is mostly the case in Nigeria. I live in London by the way. I have been here for 10 years, when I first came here as a student I used to work as a porter in the kitchen
Of big office buildings in the city, after Big company chairmen conclude meetings for the day I and some other workers will go and clear the meeting room, remove the cups,
Throw away the left over sandwiches and just generally do our duties in the kitchen. Today, I work in all those tall buildings in front of a PC, with own Phone, my own position
e.t.c guess what? If I use a cup to at my desk, I have people who come and take it away to the kitchen. Meanwhile…….some weeks ago I was out of work…………, i lost my job for 1 year
but I survived because I had some savings, plus I took a part time job in December and November just to survive. The job was below me but I still managed it because why; THERE IS A WORLD WIDE
RECESSION!!!!. People need to realize…………….and its not going to last forever.

If a naija guys comes to London for the first time to come and struggle, his success depends on a few things; THE CROWD YOU MOVE WITH, HOW STRONG YOU ARE IN CHARACTER, WHERE YOU THINK
YOU WANT TO REACH IN YOUR LIFE, LUCK, GOD, HARD WORK……AND EXPOSURE. If you move with people who think a Naija guy cant get a good 9-5 job in an office with Oyinbo people, that is where you will
Stay as per thinking and your level wont rise beyond what you and those your friends know. But if you move with guys who aim high, think high, struggle high, read hard, pray hard, have positive attitude…………, you will be alright.
Education is also very important, if you move with boys who mainly do ODu and credit card fraud…, you are likely to think that is the only way to make good money.

Back to the observations some people made as per comparing Nigeria with Uk. They are two different places and things happen differently.

After a while of doing good jobs in the UK you will still miss home.(Naija). So don’t expect to find a perfect balance anywhere.
As per seeing people in church with mournful looks on their faces; times are hard in the UK economy at the moment because of the recession. You can not compare standard of
Living in UK with Nigeria. There is security of life here, infrastructure works better, UK has its own problems too but Hunger, infrastructure, Power supply, respect for life, etc are not
Part of its problem. As per the 40 something yr old men who don’t work and depend on their wives, am sure it cant be for ever except those men are good for nothing men.

DO you know there are Nigerian girls and guys who earn between £200 - £700 per day working 9am- 6pm? If you don’t know you better shine your eye, wake up from your slumber and smell the coffee.
Although things are tight now, it wont last forever. UK is a developed world. Nigeria is not…, but things are getting better there too. Its just that POOR PEOPLE SUFFER TOO MUCH IN NAIJA.

There is no paddy for jungle in London because it’s a harsh society where the system expects you to pay your way by your self, you work hard for all the money you make and it kinda makes you selfish in a way.
But mind you; THERE ARE STILL A LOT OF KIND PEOPLE OUT IN THE UK WHO HELPS OUT THEIR PADDIES.
You just have to come and live in London for a while (If you want to) in order to realize or experience it. It makes you a stronger person.
EAST OR WEST………HOME IS THE BEST.- But that saying is relative and can be argued about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Between My Teaching Job And A Bank Security Job / List Of N-power Volunteers Whose Payments Have Been Put On Hold. / Dangote Refinery: How Prepared Are You As A Job Seeker?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.