Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,219 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University (29343 Views)

7 Things You Should Never Discuss In The Office / Most Painful Life Experience (things I Wished I Have Never Done) / How To Become Financially Independent Before Graduating From School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 27, 2017
Getting a first class or 2.1 does not make u hot cake in the job market

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by ibroh22(m): 7:28am On Jul 27, 2017
teamf:
One day , My comment will come on top. I will show it to My Biology teacher Mrs Adebayo , who said that I can't achieve anything in my life!
liker ni
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Chatflick(m): 7:28am On Jul 27, 2017
A man with vision can never lack direction.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by dipznano: 7:30am On Jul 27, 2017
opestein:
you see your life?

You see your life?
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by massive1019(m): 7:30am On Jul 27, 2017
grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 27, 2017
Everyone has that degree you're raising shoulders with so shut up, sit down and do something with your life!

3 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by emmahoney(m): 7:33am On Jul 27, 2017
wassade:
You just they know abi
Maybe, did you know all the points that were being raised before you graduated? Be sincere to yourself dude.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by herkeym001(m): 7:36am On Jul 27, 2017
davide470:
...That if you are studying Banking & Finance, you should switch to another course.

... Your Corporate life starts the moment you write your first exam
I regret that i read this mumu curse course.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Timblaze(m): 7:37am On Jul 27, 2017
Hexzyz:
Good points.
My parents and elders always believe that education is the way out. They never wanted us to involve in anything that will distract us from that pursuit.
Though before now when population have not surged and competition isn't as though as now, an educated person earns a decent living, so our parents are still having that idea not knowing that the world is growing fast and education is important but will not be sustainable in a competitive world today , learning a skill is important coupled with education, which will make it flexible for the individual.
I have learned, and will guide my kids and any younger one to learn a skill even though he/she will pursue their education.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 27, 2017
francoray:
NYSC IS SCAM
y did u say dt
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by wolexter(m): 7:41am On Jul 27, 2017
Well @ op except for your 1st point above, none other is too late to learn now if you aren't up to 50 yrs yet.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by ironprocs(m): 7:41am On Jul 27, 2017
Hexzyz:
Good points.
My parents and elders always believe that education is the way out. They never wanted us to involve in anything that will distract us from that pursuit.
Though before now when population have not surged and competition isn't as though as now, an educated person earns a decent living, so our parents are still having that idea not knowing that the world is growing fast and education is important but will not be sustainable in a competitive world today , learning a skill is important coupled with education, which will make it flexible for the individual.
I have learned, and will guide my kids and any younger one to learn a skill even though he/she will pursue their education.
Education is still important, but school is as useless as ueue in queue

6 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by emmahoney(m): 7:42am On Jul 27, 2017
Hexzyz:
Good points.
You are very correct, parents have not realised that combining education and learning of skills is the way forward. They still have that their outdated thought flowing in their body fluids.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by wassade: 7:42am On Jul 27, 2017
emmahoney:
Maybe, did you know all the points that were being raised before you graduated? Be sincere to yourself dude.

Not yet graduate but doing well with my business.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Elthugnificent(m): 7:44am On Jul 27, 2017
Moshkom:
Thou, i'm still in school but my Popular saying still goes like this "...Afterall, No Be By School"

my friend concentrate on your studies, that's a failure mentality. Drop out naw since no be by school.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by emmahoney(m): 7:45am On Jul 27, 2017
femi4:
8. That you are a graduate doesn't stop you from learning special skills
You are absolutely right. However, it would have been better to acquire some skills while one is still young and less distracted.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by emmahoney(m): 7:46am On Jul 27, 2017
wassade:

Not yet graduate but doing well with my business.
Good to hear that.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by obataokenwa(m): 7:47am On Jul 27, 2017
The best advice is to go learn work and go to school on part time basis. No one adviced me well too cos by now I would have achieved greater success.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Habeyy(m): 7:47am On Jul 27, 2017
davide470:
...That if you are studying Banking & Finance, you should switch to another course.

guy what is it with BFN again grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by blef2014: 7:47am On Jul 27, 2017
Hexzyz:
Good points.
you said it all.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Acecube(m): 7:48am On Jul 27, 2017
rottenPussy:
Making millions without a degree makes me realize life is way beyond academics. The real education is not taught in school.

The key is grabbing everything opportunity you see to learn something that can stand the test of time and have your academics as backup.
earning living with your signature.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Habeyy(m): 7:48am On Jul 27, 2017
teamf:
One day , My comment will come on top. I will show it to My Biology teacher Mrs Adebayo , who said that I can't achieve anything in my life!
why did she say so

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Acecube(m): 7:49am On Jul 27, 2017
obataokenwa:
The best advice is to go learn work and go to school on part time basis. No one adviced me well too cos by now I would have achieved greater success.
which work did you learn bro...
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Samexdx(m): 7:50am On Jul 27, 2017
opestein:
you see your life?
LOL grin cheesy
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by thesuave10(m): 7:53am On Jul 27, 2017
emmahoney:

I knew all.. .the thing with AFRICANS is that we only read school books. I some in my first yr and all around my 2-3rd yr. I even knew more than that
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by icenti: 7:54am On Jul 27, 2017
davide470:

Guy are you a lasuite...cause u funny like hell

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by samwise180(m): 7:55am On Jul 27, 2017
A stich in time saves nine

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by thesuave10(m): 7:56am On Jul 27, 2017
Elthugnificent:
my friend concentrate on your studies, that's a failure mentality. Drop out naw since no be by school.

To be honest it's not by school. School is important but not for reasons you might think. By school I mean the academics part of it. It's only 30 -40% of your success in life.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by thesuave10(m): 7:58am On Jul 27, 2017
herkeym001:

I regret that i read this mumu curse course.

Banking and finance is a sharp course o

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by ikukuhero: 7:58am On Jul 27, 2017
rottenPussy:
Making millions without a degree makes me realize life is way beyond academics. The real education is not taught in school.

The key is grabbing everything opportunity you see to learn something that can stand the test of time and have your academics as backup.

Nice comment; Horrible moniker. I wanna puke right now! Oh dear me!
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by kcreativeme: 8:07am On Jul 27, 2017
emmahoney:

7 things I wished anyone would have told me as before graduating college:

1- University is for self exploration use your time and internships wisely to determine your goal so by the time you graduate you won't loose time figuring things out.

2- Have a definite GOAL.

3- If you have a talent / hobby that can be utilised don't waste your time working for a corporate! Pursue your own thing.

4- Don't let anyone tell you "you can't"

5- Invest in yourself and don't get drained in your day to day job: self study, post grad study, courses, sports, reading, seminars, travelling, linguistics ...etc

6- Never EVER depend on one source of income, ALWAYS have a side gig!

7- if you decided to work in a corporate you have to understand that your promotions arebased on 40% your hard work and 60% politics so you wont be frustrated.

Source :
https://www.linkedin.com/mwlite/reshare?id=activity%3A6295956073895591937

Great piece! Realized this before I graduated from school. The very unfortunate thing is that only a few parents understand this. Learning a also teaches a lot outside school walls.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Elthugnificent(m): 8:10am On Jul 27, 2017
thesuave10:

To be honest it's not by school. School is important but not for reasons you might think. By school I mean the academics part of it. It's only 30 -40% of your success in life.
Tell that to medicine, law, engineering and other professional major graduate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Married Female Staff Of Globacom Refute Claims Of Being Sacked / What Can One Do With N42k Salary? / 10 Jobs That Make Nigerian Employees Wear Tattered Outfits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.