Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University (29356 Views)

7 Things You Should Never Discuss In The Office / Most Painful Life Experience (things I Wished I Have Never Done) / How To Become Financially Independent Before Graduating From School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by obataokenwa(m): 8:11am On Jul 27, 2017
Acecube:
which work did you learn bro...
I didn't learn work before school but after school. If I will advice, if anyone got money, he should learn crane operator, training on oil and gas(BOSIET,HUET,EDH,MEA,HLO,SSO,RIVER MASTER, QUARTER MASTER, BANKSMAN... it costs huge money to get all this but you will get a nice job after it) , POP and screeding,

POP and screeding is the cheapest and within one year, you've learnt it and can start work.

The oil and gas courses can take you a month or two to get the certs them....if you must do it, make sure you get the best certs up-to Bosiet which may cost you up-to 500k to acquire but at the long run, one rig work will wipe away the tears in your family. it's also advisable to go learn it in South Africa if you can afford it or London. Pipeline welding is good too but should be learnt outside the country like Malaysia or Singapore.

If you don't have money, learn normal tiles and interlocking laying, conduit wiring, tailoring at a very good tailoring shop like Aba, Hair making etc

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by tokrizy: 8:11am On Jul 27, 2017
Hexzyz:
Good points.
My parents and elders always believe that education is the way out. They never wanted us to involve in anything that will distract us from that pursuit.
Though before now when population have not surged and competition isn't as though as now, an educated person earns a decent living, so our parents are still having that idea not knowing that the world is growing fast and education is important but will not be sustainable in a competitive world today , learning a skill is important coupled with education, which will make it flexible for the individual.
I have learned, and will guide my kids and any younger one to learn a skill even though he/she will pursue their education.
Back then it was FARMING later to EDUCATION now ENTERTAINMENT only GOD knows what's nxt because EDUCATION bro ain't paying no more 1 in a THOUSANDS we just dey go SCHOOL for exposure and d fun in it INFACT no fun again self I just tire but I dey DOUBLE my HUSTLE sha cos no time to gv MY CHILDREN lame EXCUSES

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by tokrizy: 8:12am On Jul 27, 2017
Hexzyz:
Good points.
My parents and elders always believe that education is the way out. They never wanted us to involve in anything that will distract us from that pursuit.
Though before now when population have not surged and competition isn't as though as now, an educated person earns a decent living, so our parents are still having that idea not knowing that the world is growing fast and education is important but will not be sustainable in a competitive world today , learning a skill is important coupled with education, which will make it flexible for the individual.
I have learned, and will guide my kids and any younger one to learn a skill even though he/she will pursue their education.
Back then it was FARMING later to EDUCATION now ENTERTAINMENT only GOD knows what's nxt because EDUCATION bro ain't paying no more 1 in a THOUSANDS we just dey go SCHOOL for exposure and d fun in it INFACT no fun again self I just tire but I dey DOUBLE my HUSTLE sha cos no time to gv MY CHILDREN lame EXCUSES For not MAKING IT
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by pablito21: 8:14am On Jul 27, 2017
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by thesuave10(m): 8:14am On Jul 27, 2017
Elthugnificent:
Tell that to medicine, law, engineering and other professional major graduate.

I said success o I didn't say getting job. My previous comment applies to all of them 30-40% of your success in life is from academics
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Acecube(m): 8:16am On Jul 27, 2017
obataokenwa:
I didn't learn work before school but after school. If I will advice, if anyone got money, he should learn crane operator, training on oil and gas(BOSIET,HUET,EDH,MEA,HLO,SSO,RIVER MASTER, QUARTER MASTER, BANKSMAN... it costs huge money to get all this but you will get a nice job after it) , POP and screeding,

POP and screeding is the cheapest and within one year, you've learnt it and can start work.

The oil and gas courses can take you a month or two to get the certs them....if you must do it, make sure you get the best certs up-to Bosiet which may cost you up-to 500k to acquire but at the long run, one rig work will wipe away the tears in your family
do you have to have a degree before this and what's the cost of all this cert, and how do you get employed bro... thanks
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by pablito21: 8:17am On Jul 27, 2017
8. only losers go to school
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by thesuave10(m): 8:17am On Jul 27, 2017
tokrizy:
Back then it was FARMING later to EDUCATION now ENTERTAINMENT only GOD knows what's nxt because EDUCATION bro ain't paying no more 1 in a THOUSANDS we just dey go SCHOOL for exposure and d fun in it INFACT no fun again self I just tire but I dey DOUBLE my HUSTLE sha cos no time to gv MY CHILDREN lame EXCUSES

Now is still education Oga. TECH ICT and entertainment
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by squash47(m): 8:22am On Jul 27, 2017
teamf:
One day , My comment will come on top. I will show it to My Biology teacher Mrs Adebayo , who said that I can't achieve anything in my life!
Its obvious....POSITIVLY
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Elthugnificent(m): 8:22am On Jul 27, 2017
thesuave10:

I said success o I didn't say getting job. My previous comment applies to all of them 30-40% of your success in life is from academics
Getting a job equate success in Nigeria, I don't know what you are on about by throwing statistics up and down as if you conducted so kind of research.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by prevail23(m): 8:24am On Jul 27, 2017
davide470:
...That if you are studying Banking & Finance, you should switch to another course.

... Your Corporate life starts the moment you write your first exam
pls i don't understand, d course isn't good?
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by obataokenwa(m): 8:24am On Jul 27, 2017
Acecube:
do you have to have a degree before this and what's the cost of all this cert, and how do you get employed bro... thanks
You don't need to get a degree or even waec for all this.. The oil and gas cost a lot of money... atleast 500k... crane operator can cost you like 150k in a good place... , pop and screeding won't cost u anything but to locate a good person into it and indicate interest to humble yourself and learn from him. Pipeline welding is good but advised you learn it outside the country. TILES and interlocking won't also cost you anything but to locate who's into it.

look up, I updated the first post
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by thesuave10(m): 8:26am On Jul 27, 2017
Elthugnificent:
Getting a job equate success in Nigeria, I don't know what you are on about by throwing statistics up and down as if you conducted so kind of research.

Getting yourself a job is not success anywhere in this world. It can be some sort of achievement but it's not success. The stastictics are true and accurate

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by NevetsIbot(m): 8:30am On Jul 27, 2017
rottenPussy:
Making millions without a degree makes me realize life is way beyond academics. The real education is not taught in school.

The key is grabbing everything opportunity you see to learn something that can stand the test of time and have your academics as backup.
I wanted to type this. God bless you.

This was what I thought of this morning " we're only taught the definition of success in schools. we aren't taught how to make money and stuff."

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by rottenPussy: 8:32am On Jul 27, 2017
Acecube:
earning living with your signature.
It's a pseudo.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by maxdosh(m): 8:34am On Jul 27, 2017
teamf:
One day , My comment will come on top. I will show it to My Biology teacher Mrs Adebayo , who said that I can't achieve anything in my life!

I don't understand this hype abt Frontpage. Is it an achievement
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by klassykute(m): 8:35am On Jul 27, 2017
teamf:
if u show her then u av just proved her point further
Achievement:

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by maxdosh(m): 8:37am On Jul 27, 2017
rottenPussy:

The key is grabbing everything opportunity you see to learn something that can stand the test of time and have your academics as backup.

For instance like the big diiicks you are always in search for shocked
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by rottenPussy: 8:37am On Jul 27, 2017
NevetsIbot:
I wanted to type this. God bless you.

This was what I thought of this morning " we're only taught the definition of success in schools. we aren't taught how to make money and stuff."
It's a shame! Even business students are trained towards dependency and not how to be independent.

It is a self-development thing.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by NevetsIbot(m): 8:48am On Jul 27, 2017
rottenPussy:
It's a shame! Even business students are trained towards dependency and not how to be independent.

It is a self-development thing.

I tell you. I'm undergoing series of processes now that'll birth over 6 massive streams of income in the next ten years .... outside school.

I've read many books by the rich dad poor dad company and other authors.....I can't wait to start.

what I know know....most graduates dont know half. Especially those who run into school hoping to get a job after

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by thesuave10(m): 8:55am On Jul 27, 2017
NevetsIbot:

I tell you. I'm undergoing series of processes now that'll birth over 6 massive streams of income in the next ten years .... outside school.

I've read many books by the rich dad poor dad company and other authors.....I can't wait to start.

what I know know....most graduates dont know half. Especially those who run into school hoping to get a job after

I doubt if you know much
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by lonelydora: 8:55am On Jul 27, 2017
7. If you decided to work in a corporate you have to understand that your promotions arebased on 40% your hard work and 60% politics so you wont be frustrated.

Wished i knew this before now.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by rayobaba(m): 8:59am On Jul 27, 2017
True.
No 7 na super true
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by wassade: 9:12am On Jul 27, 2017
emmahoney:
Good to hear that.

Thumbs up
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by NevetsIbot(m): 9:13am On Jul 27, 2017
thesuave10:

I doubt if you know much
Lol. That you doubt doesn't mean its false bro. However, compared to you...I might not know much but the thing is using what you know to command money and people to work for you while legally reducing your tax and earning way more than your expenses.

you can just wait till I'm through with the processes I must undergo and the smell my success in the papers. (which is sure).

need any artwork? imma self trained artist.... contact me if you need one

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Hier(m): 9:30am On Jul 27, 2017
martineverest:
If u had been told, u wud not have believed afterall

Thoughts of lectures, assignments and first class won't make him listen sef.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by ITCareerINxtGen: 9:50am On Jul 27, 2017
Information Technology knowledge and skills continues to be a key decision factor in most industries and professions of the 21st century. Developments in science and technology points to a future in which our existence and business will predominantly be subsumed within technology systems, leading to large scale shifts in our social, cultural, behavioral, economic or business directions.
To survive the impacts of this revolution and remain relevant in the scheme of things especially in careers, people of all professions need to gain adequate understanding on how best to approach IT in terms of learning, skills acquisition, certifications or qualifications and careers in the information technology sector.
The book “IT Career: A Roadmap” is designed to provide guidance, clarify confusions and enumerate recommended pathways into the industry for various categories of interests such as aspiring high school leavers, undergraduate students, graduate students, professionals in IT or other sectors who wish to IT-enable their careers and job seekers.
If you have always been curious about;
 What courses and certifications best provides the latitude for a successful and rewarding career in IT;
 What best options exist for learning and acquiring IT skills and certifications;
 Every valuable information about entering, retaining and growing a career within the IT industry as well as job roles, responsibilities and top skills/certifications in the industry;
And many more; then this book is for you!
Get it here: https://www.amazon.com/Career-Road-Map/dp/1533508852/ref=sr_1_3?
OR https://www.createspace.com/6308353
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by thesuave10(m): 9:52am On Jul 27, 2017
NevetsIbot:
Lol. That you doubt doesn't mean its false bro. However, compared to you...I might not know much but the thing is using what you know to command money and people to work for you while legally reducing your tax and earning way more than your expenses.

you can just wait till I'm through with the processes I must undergo and the smell my success in the papers. (which is sure).

need any artwork? imma self trained artist.... contact me if you need one

So it's artwork that will give you success in the papers? Unless you mean papers of a notebook undecided
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by Elthugnificent(m): 10:05am On Jul 27, 2017
thesuave10:

Getting yourself a job is not success anywhere in this world. It can be some sort of achievement but it's not success. The stastictics are true and accurate
what's the meaning of success?and which statistics are true and accurate? What's your source?
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by NevetsIbot(m): 10:08am On Jul 27, 2017
thesuave10:

So it's artwork that will give you success in the papers? Unless you mean papers of a notebook undecided
you surely didn't read what I wrote there. I specifically stated Streams of Income.... ten precisely.

and artworks aren't listed there. your myopia is alarming
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by davide470(m): 10:31am On Jul 27, 2017
prevail23:
pls i don't understand, d course isn't good?
It is, don't mind me.

The only thing is that, any one can become a banker regardless of what you studied in school.
Re: 7 Things I Wished I Was Told Before Graduating From The University by thesuave10(m): 10:35am On Jul 27, 2017
NevetsIbot:
you surely didn't read what I wrote there. I specifically stated Streams of Income.... ten precisely.

and artworks aren't listed there. your myopia is alarming

You didn't list anything. Anyways enjoy the illusion grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Jobs That Make Nigerian Employees Wear Tattered Outfits / What Can One Do With N42k Salary? / COVID-19: MTN Staff To Start Working From Home Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.