Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Everyone Has A Demon...'alter Ego' - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Everyone Has A Demon...'alter Ego' (503 Views)

The Male Ego: What Is It? / Couple Who Met As Corpers Take Their Pre-Wedding Photos To Church Alter / "From Tutorial To Alter"; Young Couple Set To Wed After 7 Years Of Dating. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Everyone Has A Demon...'alter Ego' by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 28, 2017
Good day to all Romancelanders, saw this online so I decided to share it with you guys. Though it was written by my mentor *Olakunle Allison*

"...Everyone Has A Demon" - Alter Ego.

Inspired by Omotola's latest movie, ALTER EGO!

Omotola Jalade Ekehinde (Ada Igwe character) killed this movie. She nailed that character. Although the movie is rated 15 by the Censors Board, I'd rate it 18+. I'm conservative like that.

Indeed, "Alter Ego" is a movie to see. A compelling storyline with a bias for the rights of young girls who suffered sexual abuses.

Ada Igwe (Omotola) battled to get Justice for underprivileged female victims even as she wrestled her own demons. Overall, the movie gets a 'B' from me. My only quarrel with the film is that, like most social justice movies, it risks portraying all men as some sort of sex-crazed humans.

It promotes the narrative that men are Hot dogs. Virtually all the men in the movie are sexually objectified; even the one that initially seemed like a gentleman (spoiler alert, SORRY!). This narrative, to my mind, is an insult to real gentlemen who want more than sex.

Now to the real deal.

I love the movie because it evinces the reality that's US. All of us. Everyone, and I mean each and every human on planet Earth, has a personal 'demon'; that habit, struggle, secret, weakness, history, story or expectation foisted on us by life and which we'd rather lock up forever. But because we all love to be admired and envied we work extremely hard to create a facade or a 'face' which is the radical opposite of our inner demon.

There's no better time to release such a well told story than now. The social media age has made it extremely easy and artful for people to have alter egos; that is, to live a split personality kind of life. In other words, the person you know online is radically and diametrically different offline. Two-faced!

This is why it is dangerous to fall in love with the alter ego. The 'online ego'.

He/she is handsome/pretty online but pimpled offline.

He is articulate and brilliant online but suffers speech impediment and uninspiring offline.

She is an independent achiever who 'slays' online but she fights her sugar daddies for not buying her return tickets offline.

He is bold and assertive online but tongue-tied offline.

She is always grooving and high-spirited online but wets the pillow with her tears offline.

And so on.

Because of social media invasion alter egos have become somewhat the 'new normal'. Whether we like it or not, we cannot be 100% authentic online. This is simply due to the nature of humankind to seek public affirmation and praise. Hence, we only put our best acts forward online. It's just natural. Even those who claim to be REAL still have skeletons waiting to be unearthed.

And don't even attempt to exempt religious folks. They too have demons. Yes, accepting Jesus as Lord and Saviour can be the first step towards a much needed healing, but it will never happen in the twinkling of an eye. It is a continuous and deliberate process towards deliverance. No man can do it by laying hands on you.

Don't be deceived, most firebrand 'Christians' have secret moral battles. I said "most".

My final word? Go see the movie!

#truthisacred.
Selah.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Everyone Has A Demon...'alter Ego' by Earthquake1: 4:47pm On Jul 28, 2017
Nice appraisal.

(1) (Reply)

La Click La Bend / Love Will Never Come; Or It Will Come Very Late / Here's How A Man Wooed A Lady With His Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.