Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

First Fruit Of Labour - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / First Fruit Of Labour (2174 Views)

Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? / Giving Your Wedding Night To God As A First Fruit Of Marriage? - No Intimacy / First Fruit Offering Is Brainwashing! Tunde Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Fruit Of Labour by yemmight(m): 3:41pm On Feb 09, 2010
First fruit is a term used to describe the first fruit of the first harvest. God commanded His people to present the first fruit to the Levitical priesthood that served as their food (Deuteronomy 26:2). In Israel, it marked the end of the barley growing season and the beginning of the wheat season.

Exodus 22:29 Thou shalt not delay to offer the first of thy ripe fruits, and of thy liquors: the firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me.

Deuteronomy 26:2 That thou shalt take of the first of all the fruit of the earth, which thou shalt bring of thy land that the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt put it in a basket, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose to place his name there.

However, just last week a friend of mine told me that this first fruit of labour in thier church is means you must take your first salary in every new year to church (100%) I ask, how do one survive. Please can we get better understanding of this further?
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by afiq(m): 4:02pm On Feb 09, 2010
Emmmm, let me see, sooner or later this will turn into 'tithe talk', cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by AbuZola3(m): 4:10pm On Feb 09, 2010
Christianity is a fraud, is all about stealing money
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by PastorAIO: 5:30pm On Feb 09, 2010
So first fruit is every year now. These guys are just getting bolder and bolder.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by yemmight(m): 6:23pm On Feb 09, 2010
Unfortunately, they will go ahead and pay the church while those of you that critisize them become thier enemies. The influence Pastors have over people these days shocked
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by KunleOshob(m): 6:24pm On Feb 09, 2010
First fruit = first salary of the year is another false doctrine fast gaining prominence in the mamon worshipping arm of the pentecostal movement.  grin
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by viaro: 6:33pm On Feb 09, 2010
KunleOshob:

First fruit = first salary of the year is another false doctrine fast gaining prominence in the mamon worshipping arm of the pentecostal movement. grin

I agree with you. grin
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by AbuZola3(m): 6:39pm On Feb 09, 2010
I also agree, pastors are thief
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Jenna1(f): 7:35am On Feb 10, 2010
I won't say all pastors are crooks. I was raised to pay the priest for his services, baptisms and such done for families. I believe in that. It is their job after all and the catholic mother church is bankrupt from scandels and lies. I was raised in church, raised my children in church. I have a great respect for church and the priests and nun who helped me and raise them. However I do have problems with their being a human driven force behind giving to the church and priests. It should be God who is providing for his servant. Definately not the servant begging and conning to get it!!! Big difference!!! Don't give a full wage to anyone!! Give them what they deserve as they earn it!! It is the way!! God bless you, he already has, if your church and pastor help you then help back. But anyone who makes you feel obligated is out for your cash!! Stay blessed, stay wise!! smiley
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by yemmight(m): 9:40am On Feb 10, 2010
Abu Zola:

I also agree, pastors are thief

I disagree with your point that all Pastors are thieves. You have lots of pastors that will not encourage such thing just that wht is left in our society as pastors not encouraging.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by AbuZola3(m): 4:41pm On Feb 10, 2010
Why is church a good business ? Is not for the pastor
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Jenna1(f): 4:44pm On Feb 10, 2010
No vow of poverty, no priest!! If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck!! If he is a priest he will keep his vow, if he is a thief he will keep your money!!LOL!!
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by AbuZola3(m): 6:28pm On Feb 10, 2010
I see
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by KunleOshob(m): 9:43am On Feb 12, 2010
KunleOshob:

First fruit = first salary of the year is another false doctrine fast gaining prominence in the mamon worshipping arm of the pentecostal movement.  grin

It's the same way and reason the catholic church introduced tithing to christianity between the 6th and 8th century AD that the pentecostals are now trying to introduce first fruits into the church today. They are both doctrines of men derived from twisted scripture and manipulated to extort the flock becos of the love for material gain by it's proponents
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Patjoe: 3:59pm On Feb 12, 2010
Since my pastor taught on firstfruits, I have been doing it and my finances has moved forward. I just gave my firstfruit this year and things are already happening. above all things, my faith has risen so high, i have developped a giant killer faith, money is nothing to me again, there is nothing i can not give to God now. praise God
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Arte: 4:07pm On Feb 12, 2010
Patjoe:

Since my pastor taught on firstfruits, I have been doing it and my finances has moved forward. I just gave my firstfruit this year and things are already happening. above all things, my faith has risen so high, i have developped a giant killer faith, money is nothing to me again, there is nothing i can not give to God now. praise God
1. Do you think God is in the least bit interested in how much money you can give Him?

2. Do you know riches can come from sources other than God? do you know that prosperity is not always a good thing?

3. Do you know that your "giant killer faith" should not be rooted in anything other than the sacrifice of Jesus? not material wealth? because then it is not truly faith? but simply a shallow response to a temporary season?
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by KunleOshob(m): 4:13pm On Feb 12, 2010
Arté:

1. Do you think God is in the least bit interested in how much money you can give Him?

2. Do you know riches can come from sources other than God? do you know that prosperity is not always a good thing?

3. Do you know that your "giant killer faith" should not be rooted in anything other than the sacrifice of Jesus? not material wealth? because then it is not truly faith? but simply a shallow response to a temporary season?

I won't have bothered to respond to patjoe if i were you, he obviously just registered that I.D to disguise hisreal self and start giving false testimonies on NL. For all you know he might be a pastor himself just trying to promote the greedy and false doctrine.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Patjoe: 4:31pm On Feb 12, 2010
Mr man whoever you are , don't insult me. If You do not believe in firstfruits ,don't try to gag me. Several people I know have great testimonies for first fruit. Those who have Chiken faith can not try that level of denial.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by mabell: 4:37pm On Feb 12, 2010
KunleOshob:

I won't have bothered to respond to patjoe if i were you, he obviously just registered that I.D to disguise hisreal self and start giving false testimonies on NL. For all you know he might be a pastor himself just trying to promote the greedy and false doctrine.

kunleoshob is everybody trickish and unreliable as you?
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by mabell: 4:40pm On Feb 12, 2010
Arté:

hmm!?! shocked
prosperity not a good thing, how. please teach me!
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Arte: 4:42pm On Feb 12, 2010
"Giant-killer faith vs. Chicken faith" = "Patjoe vs. Kunle"  grin  wetin pesin no go see for NL

I am with the chicken faith on this one, if that means putting ones trust in only the sacrifice of Christ and not material gain, then I am a chicken all day long and extremely proud of it  cool

mabell:

hmm!?! shocked
prosperity not a good thing, how. please teach me!
Re-read my post again, then re-ask your question.
Arté:

Re: First Fruit Of Labour by mabell: 5:07pm On Feb 12, 2010
@ Arte i have reread you post like you asked, i still want you to explain or better still let me rephrase it
hmm!?! prosperity, not always a good thing, how. please teach me!
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Arte: 5:17pm On Feb 12, 2010
Mabell, thank you for your question my friend. I will now answer as best I can.

mabell:

@ Arte i have reread you post like you asked, i still want you to explain or better still let me rephrase it
hmm!?! prosperity, not always a good thing, how. please teach me!
How about if we let the bible teach us? No greater teacher than Jesus himself:

Matthew 10: story of the rich man -

17And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

18And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

19Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

20And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

21Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

22And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

23And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

24And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
25It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

26And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?

Do you see those astonishing words from Jesus himself? "How hard it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"! - this Mabell my friend is why prosperity is not always a good thing.

Also see Proverbs 30:8 -
8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
       give me neither poverty nor riches,
       but give me only my daily bread.

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
       and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
       Or I may become poor and steal,
       and so dishonor the name of my God

You see that Mabell? This prayer is from Solomon himself! the wisest man according to the bible to have ever lived. How much more should we puny followers follow his example! He asked for neither poverty nor riches, just enough to live comfortably.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Joagbaje(m): 9:59pm On Feb 12, 2010
@Arté

Arté:

Also see Proverbs 30:8 -
8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God

You see that Mabell? This prayer is from Solomon himself! the wisest man according to the bible to have ever lived. How much more should we puny followers follow his example! He asked for neither poverty nor riches, just enough to live comfortably.

This your wisest man that you so much believe in and you try to patern your life after, are you aware he ended up worshipping idols. In all his mighty wisdom that you emulate.

1 Kings 11:4
For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the Lord his God, as was the heart of David his father.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by KunleOshob(m): 6:07pm On Feb 13, 2010
Joagbaje:

@Arté

This your wisest man that you so much believe in and you try to patern your life after, are you aware he ended up worshipping idols. In all his mighty wisdom that you emulate.

I hope you know you are also guilty of worshiping the idol of mamon.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by PastorAIO: 8:13pm On Feb 13, 2010
Joagbaje:

@Arté

1 Kings 11:4
For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the Lord his God, as was the heart of David his father.

I don't recall him saying that he believed in solomon and patterned his life after solomon. Solomon was a man with many failings but he was also a man in pursuit of wisdom and many things that he learned are preserved for us in the bible today. But put Solomon aside. What about Jesus' words about how difficult it is for a rich man to enter into the kingdom.

Even the Babalawo will tell you that there is a difference between Aje tutu and Aje gbigbona. That is cool money and hot money. Hot money is the one that you make it and that is when all your problems start. litigation, theft, dishonesty, not knowing who you trust anymore, paranoia, sycophancy etc etc etc and in spite of all the problems you'll still be compulsively driven to hold on to the money.

@PatJoe, I am a big believer in experimental evidence. I do believe that as you've made such a claim as you have it is proper for somebody else to give it a try. And if it works for them then good for them and if it doesn't than it doesn't. But no need to psychologically bully them saying that it is in the bible that you must do it. Let them give it a try. After all it is a valid means of learning in life, trial and error.
But me, I believe it is rubbish. If you claim it works then that is your claim. Good for you.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Joagbaje(m): 8:51pm On Feb 13, 2010
@Pastor AIO

Pastor AIO:

Even the Babalawo will tell you that there is a difference between Aje tutu and Aje gbigbona. That is cool money and hot money. Hot money is the one that you make it and that is when all your problems start. litigation, theft, dishonesty, not knowing who you trust anymore, paranoia, sycophancy etc etc etc and in spite of all the problems you'll still be compulsively driven to hold on to the money.

Are you from babalawo family? Im trying to be insultive o , Im just curious?
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Joagbaje(m): 9:01pm On Feb 13, 2010
@kunleoshob

KunleOshob:

I hope you know you are also guilty of worshiping the idol of mamon.

Tell me , in what way have I worshipped mammon?
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by PastorAIO: 1:40pm On Feb 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

@Pastor AIO

Are you from babalawo family? Im trying to be insultive o , Im just curious?

Don't worry, I'm not insulted. My maternal grandfather was the first christian in his hometown but he was originally an ifa adherent. My maternal great grand mother was the chief priestess of Oshun in her hometown. My grandmother on my paternal side's ancestors followed Ifa too. In fact her younger brother reverted back to ifa, but they were raised christian. Hey, I guess this story is true for most christian yoruba families except the one's in traditional muslim families.

There are muslims and christians in my extended family as well as orisha/ifa people though the traditionalists are not that prominent. That's me in a nutshell.

How about you? Are you originally from a muslim family? How and why did you convert? I believe I've asked you this before. Me too, I'm just curious I don't mean to be insulting, but you're the first agbaje that I'm aware of that is not a muslim.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Joagbaje(m): 6:46pm On Feb 14, 2010
@pastor AIO

No wonder, ive be concerned about the "ofo" i see in your post sometimes. Are you still Awo or Ogberi?
I was bor in a Christian family I was never a muslim. Well Despite our differences on NL , I must confess I enjoy your sense of humor.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by KunleOshob(m): 7:05pm On Feb 14, 2010
Joagbaje:

@kunleoshob

Tell me , in what way have I worshipped mammon?

Well you are an advocate of the unscriptural prosperity gospel which is inspired by the "love of money" which the bible describes as the root of evil and is also the basis for mamon worship. Jesus clearly stated that you cannot serve mammon [prsoperity gospel] and serve God, you have to choose btw the two, there is no middle ground like you prosperity merchants try to imply.
Re: First Fruit Of Labour by Joagbaje(m): 6:15am On Feb 15, 2010
KunleOshob:

Well you are an advocate of the unscriptural prosperity gospel which is inspired by the "love of money" which the bible describes as the root of evil and is also the basis for mamon worship. Jesus clearly stated that you cannot serve mammon [prsoperity gospel] and serve God, you have to choose btw the two, there is no middle ground like you prosperity merchants try to imply. 

I don't know what you mean by "prosperity gospel"  But if I go with how it sounds , it means " The good news of prosperity". Prosperity is not about money. Money is only a part ,  Jesus died to make us allround success. You are the one that make it sound as though it's all about money. He died for us to be in health , to reign over sin , over devils, over poverty, failiure etc . Why do you want to take wealth out of it?

DEUT 8:18   
But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Question For Xtians / Mallam El-rufai Attacks Jesus Christ On Twitter. / God's Writtens Found In Mars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.