Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? (41521 Views)

India Man Installs Lifelike Wax Statue Of Late Wife During House Warming (Pics) / Can You Punish A Cheating Wife Like This?? / My Husband Snatched My Company, Sold My Property To Marry Our Salesgirl (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by delishpot: 10:15pm On Aug 09, 2017
goldedprince:

have you hard situations where you people kill people and make it look like accident?
u dy talk like say no be naija you dey

Well, it better be well staged sha. That can really get under the radar. But you bad o grin grin grin see ya plans grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by OBAGADAFFI: 10:22pm On Aug 09, 2017
cococandy:
Regardless of who's fault the break up is, she's entitled to half the property they acquired together as a couple (not before they got married).
So he should swallow his heartbreak (I know it's hard) and give her what's rightfully hers. Unless he's saying they have no property together as couple.

That's is if they acquired properties together while they are married.

This is an example of what might happen

http://citifmonline.com/2017/06/14/nii-odartey-lamptey-wins-court-case-against-ex-wife/

Former Ghana international Nii Odartey, has won his lawsuit in which his wife was seeking to gain 50% of all his wealth.

An Accra High Court ruled on Wednesday ruled that, Gloria Appiah, his former wife, committed ‘adultery’ when she conceived three children out of wedlock and subsequently quashed her motion to be awarded half of the property of the former footballer.

Justice Cecilia Don-Chebe Agbevey, who presided over the matter, also ordered the estranged wife to vacate the footballer’s plush 7-bedroom apartment in East Legon within 30 days.

She was however allocated a small property at Dome, a suburb of Accra, as compensation, leaving the player with the clearance to keep the majority of his hard-earned wealth.
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:27pm On Aug 09, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

http://citifmonline.com/2017/06/14/nii-odartey-lamptey-wins-court-case-against-ex-wife/

Former Ghana international Nii Odartey, has won his lawsuit in which his wife was seeking to gain 50% of all his wealth.
An Accra High Court ruled on Wednesday ruled that, Gloria Appiah, his former wife, committed ‘adultery’ when she conceived three children out of wedlock and subsequently quashed her motion to be awarded half of the property of the former footballer.
Justice Cecilia Don-Chebe Agbevey, who presided over the matter, also ordered the estranged wife to vacate the footballer’s plush 7-bedroom apartment in East Legon within 30 days.
She was however allocated a small property at Dome, a suburb of Accra, as compensation, leaving the player with the clearance to keep the majority of his hard-earned wealth.

you are missing the the point she got something and also it clearly say the kids were not his meaning eg if she had 4 kids 3 being not his means there was high chance she would lose the 7 bedroom and she did becoz she had no grounds for her to have such a big house

but the bottom line is every chance is different as facts and etc are shown to the judge (it wont be dealt in a culture traditional way) but i according civil laws

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by cococandy(f): 10:27pm On Aug 09, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

Well who knows?

I do know that people are quick to call marital property 'the man's property'. Quickly assuming the woman didn't contribute anything while they were married. Maybe she had a job. Maybe they built the house together. And even if she did not have a paid job, her being a housewife is also a job that contributed to the family wellbeing while it lasted. Thus enabling the man to go out comfortably and earn money without worrying about home work. That's a big contribution. Hence she's entitled to half what they made while married.

If he wants to get back at her for what she did to him, I think there are lawsuits he can file (not sure) but there probably are. And those wouldn't involve trying to cheat her out of what belongs to her.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 09, 2017
What state/country?
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by deolumike(m): 10:29pm On Aug 09, 2017
Ezechionye:
Register a company and transfer "sale"the property to the company
I can help with this. Send me an email.
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by thesuave10(m): 10:31pm On Aug 09, 2017
delishpot:

Better pikin.keep posting. I will grade you when I return

OK oo

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by PDPGuy: 10:34pm On Aug 09, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

This is an example of what might happen

The person you quoted is partially right. In community property jurisdictions, both parties have joint ownership of property acquired during the marriage, regardless of whether it's in joint title or in the name of only one of the parties.
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by OBAGADAFFI: 10:36pm On Aug 09, 2017
ZIMDRILL:

you are missing the the point she got something and also it clearly say the kids were not his meaning eg if she had 4 kids 3 being not his means there was high chance she would lose the 7 bedroom and she did becoz she had no grounds for her to have such a big house

but the bottom line is every chance is different as facts and etc are shown to the judge (it wont be dealt in a culture traditional way) but i according civil laws

The Op story isn't different from the Ghanaian case.

If children are his and Infidelity proofs presented.

The Court will favour the man.

Note- the woman lost case of getting 50% of his assets
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by Kfed4ril(m): 10:38pm On Aug 09, 2017
Greenbullet:
Hello nairalanders, and no I am not married , but my friend is, he has a one year old child or so he thought , his kind of work requires him to travel regularly, and so he hardly stays at home, on a faithful day , he came home early to meet his wife having sex with another man, he filed for a divorce, and was already thinking of child support but I advised him to do a DNA test and he discovered the child wasn't his ,the wife has hired a lawyer to get half of his property, please what can be done to stop this.

Oga tell your friend not to worry this is Nigeria not US, and besides the child support abi alimony he would have paid is no more valid, because it's proven that the child ain't his, she is just looking for a way to scare him.
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by OBAGADAFFI: 10:40pm On Aug 09, 2017
cococandy:

Well who knows?

I do know that people are quick to call marital property 'the man's property'. Quickly assuming the woman didn't contribute anything while they were married. Maybe she had a job. Maybe they built the house together. And even if she did not have a paid job, her being a housewife is also a job that contributed to the family wellbeing while it lasted. Thus enabling the man to go out comfortably and earn money without worrying about home work. That's a big contribution. Hence she's entitled to half what they made while married.

If he wants to get back at her for what she did to him, I think there are lawsuits he can file (not sure) but there probably are. And those wouldn't involve trying to cheat her out of what belongs to her.

In most cases some men aquire this properties before they get married.
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by OBAGADAFFI: 10:44pm On Aug 09, 2017
PDPGuy:

The person you quoted is partially right. In community property jurisdictions, both parties have joint ownership of property acquired during the marriage, regardless of whether it's in joint title or in the name of only one of the parties.

That's Why I said "if", those properties were acquired during the marriage.

Which is not common among young Families in Africa.
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by Princefrankie1(m): 10:47pm On Aug 09, 2017
InvertedHammer:

If in USA, he is screwed. A child born in marriage is automatically his child irrespective of what the DNA shows. Had it been they were not married, he could easily wriggle out of it by 1) Challenging the authority of DCSS to collect a debt that is not within its power by the Title IV-D of the Social Security Act of 1975. 2) Using the DNA to file a motion to compel the mother to identify the father of the child.
Some states are no fault state and any properties acquired during the course of the marriage is shared equally between the two parties. What state is this case in? Any property acquired before the date of the marriage cannot be shared whether there is a pre-nuptial agreement or not.

Solution: Have your friend schedule appointments with three different family attorneys who specialize only in divorce. He should use the three different opinions and advices to move forward.

I liked your post, but it wasn't enough. I needed to let you know what I think in words...

"YOU ARE GOOD BRO. YOU ARE DAMN GOOD"

More knowledge to your brain!!

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by Princefrankie1(m): 10:48pm On Aug 09, 2017
InvertedHammer:

If in USA, he is screwed. A child born in marriage is automatically his child irrespective of what the DNA shows. Had it been they were not married, he could easily wriggle out of it by 1) Challenging the authority of DCSS to collect a debt that is not within its power by the Title IV-D of the Social Security Act of 1975. 2) Using the DNA to file a motion to compel the mother to identify the father of the child.
Some states are no fault state and any properties acquired during the course of the marriage is shared equally between the two parties. What state is this case in? Any property acquired before the date of the marriage cannot be shared whether there is a pre-nuptial agreement or not.

Solution: Have your friend schedule appointments with three different family attorneys who specialize only in divorce. He should use the three different opinions and advices to move forward.
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by cococandy(f): 10:52pm On Aug 09, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

In most cases some men aquire this properties before they get married.
I know that. That's why I said what they acquired while married.
Any property she had or he had before they got married are exempt from this. It's only fair.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by michealhelly(m): 10:53pm On Aug 09, 2017
This is the major reason why igbo men use cutlass once they discover such rubish from patners...

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by teshyberry(f): 11:08pm On Aug 09, 2017
Ameeria:
Are you in naija? If yes, just chase her and shout her offence to the hearing of her family and loved ones. If you are not, faced with infidelity and paternity fraud, that biatcj ain't getting nothing! In fact, let your lawyer go after her for every cents she and her family have got since you are the one suing. No dulling, show no mercy!

No offence please but I have a burning question : what happens when reverse is the case? The man is an unrepentant cheat , caught several times red-handed and he has his seeds everywhere outside, but the wife at home has no child for him??

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by Wyttcat: 11:10pm On Aug 09, 2017
No way she is getting half! Which state? This is why I hate north and west coast, they can sue grass over there. If it's in southern states, I promise she won't get a dime for cheating on him.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by Blendmanuel(m): 11:18pm On Aug 09, 2017
Neminc:
All u need do is to lace her with Magun and let that her ubiquitous toto be her undoing.

Lol...
Baba you rough!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by zed7: 11:19pm On Aug 09, 2017
delishpot:

If the child had known him as father, if he has given the child his name, if he has signed to be the child's father, he may be forced to pay child support. Law takes the child into consideration in some cases.

Sexual frustration or cheating can happen to males and females. Just like men also cheat esp if the wife's job takes her outside 5he home for extended periods of time and people would say sex is important in marriage, so does a wife also need her husband to have sex with her too. So yes, the temptation may come. You don't blame a cheating man when his wife is a workaholic and is always not around why then do you think the woman should be abandoned in a cold bed and the man feigning he doesn't know she misses sex too?

See dem. Olosho showing solidarity for her kind.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 09, 2017
helpee:
statistic which some may find surprising, a full third of all children born in the United States each year are born to unmarried parents. Historically, the only way to definitively prove paternity was for the mother of the child to file a paternity suit, however more recently, the laws have changed to allow either parent to file a paternity suit to establish the father-child relationship. Depending on the results of the DNA test, the child’s birth certificate will be changed to reflect—or remove—the name of the father. If paternity is definitely established, child support will be ordered by the state.

The Legalities of Fatherhood

THIS is what the research on Google brought. Study it well....once paternity is established using DNA, they remove the name of the fathet from the birth certificate and the man is absolved from child support. So brother...nobody can force you to pay child support for a child not yours if you pursue the case

Google does not have all the information. I live in the US and one of these cases hit the news every year. I know one man in this situation. If you are married when the child is conceived, the court views you as the father. The ones who normally get out of this scenario, do so when the woman identifies another man as the father through the birth certificate or a request for child support from the other man. If this does not happen, the court views the husband as the father regardless of DNA. He will pay child support for a child that is not his.

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by Kay17: 11:44pm On Aug 09, 2017
Zico5:
Getting property in Nigeria? No my brother. She is not entitled to anything. Even the hubby can chase her out without taking a pin. There is no law biding infidelity in Nigeria. Tell your friend to relax. She can hire SAN that's her headache.

Not where she is married under the Marriage Act and the properties were acquired during the currency of the marriage.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by ezteem(m): 11:47pm On Aug 09, 2017
Greenbullet:
Hello nairalanders, and no I am not married , but my friend is, he has a one year old child or so he thought , his kind of work requires him to travel regularly, and so he hardly stays at home, on a faithful day , he came home early to meet his wife having sex with another man, he filed for a divorce, and was already thinking of child support but I advised him to do a DNA test and he discovered the child wasn't his ,the wife has hired a lawyer to get half of his property, please what can be done to stop this.

Another Yoruba post, your answers are on your posts. Yoruba people and DNA test failure are like 5 and 6.
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by delishpot: 11:48pm On Aug 09, 2017
zed7:

See dem. Olosho showing solidarity for her kind.

Your mother taught me well na. You should be proud of her.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by delishpot: 11:48pm On Aug 09, 2017
thesuave10:

OK oo

Bravo, keep em coming better pikin.
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by ezteem(m): 11:50pm On Aug 09, 2017
FortuneTeller:

Google does not have all the information. I live in the US and one of these cases hit the news every year. I know one man in this situation. If you are married when the child is conceived, the court views you as the father. The ones who normally get out of this scenario, do so when the woman identifies another man as the father through the birth certificate or a request for child support from the other man. If this does not happen, the court views the husband as the father regardless of DNA. He will pay child support for a child that is not his.

Whose business.......... you brought the bad luck to him. Ask your Yoruba run away lawyer FALZ.
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by Skmoda360(m): 12:04am On Aug 10, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Wait, is she getting the properties as reward for screwing his life and making a fool of him?

She was caught cheating,
A divorce has been filed,
A DNA test has proven the boy not to be his?

And he is scared she'd get half of his properties..

Your friend is obviously a sîssy!
Sissies don't merit my advice.

well said......the man mumulism no be here..
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by NovusHomo(m): 12:26am On Aug 10, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Wait, is she getting the properties as reward for screwing his life and making a fool of him?

She was caught cheating,
A divorce has been filed,
A DNA test has proven the boy not to be his?

And he is scared she'd get half of his properties..

Your friend is obviously a sîssy!
Sissies don't merit my advice.

Oh well, not the kind of advice you would give. The guy is no sissy. Right to property has nothing to do with the paternity of a child. Its not the child that is inheriting, but the wife.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by bonifieldstun(m): 12:47am On Aug 10, 2017
Greenbullet:
bro he should throw her stinking ass out lawyer kill her fada no story kick her out back to her fada house continue ya life its ya property in this case Bleep the law no answer any madman jess throw her load away lock ya door and take a long holiday period!!
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by GratefulHeart23(f): 12:57am On Aug 10, 2017
It feels so good one of the male folks finally receive a dose of their medicines, that's same pain women go through when men bring home children from their girlfriends, some are even so cruel they'll make you raise the child.

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by enemyofprogress: 12:59am On Aug 10, 2017
Tell your friend to send hired killers after her nau
Re: How Do I Keep My Property From A Cheating Wife During Divorce? by NovusHomo(m): 12:59am On Aug 10, 2017
bonifieldstun:
bro he should throw her stinking ass out lawyer kill her fada no story kick her out back to her fada house continue ya life its ya property in this case Bleep the law no answer any madman jess throw her load away lock ya door and take a long holiday period!!

The house is probably not his alone. The question is: did the woman contribute to the construction of the house? In any way? For example, if the man built the house alone; but while doing so, the woman had to buy food for the family because "Daddy is building a house", that there is a contribution by the wife. Does it make sense? Remains to find the monetary value of such contribution. You see, the law is quite logical. It does not indulge in emotions as most are wont to do.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Arab Woman Places Advert In Newspaper To Praise Her Kenyan Househelp (photos) / Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / Bathing A New Born Baby. . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.