Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,196 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Did You Marry The Wrong Person? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Did You Marry The Wrong Person? (13177 Views)

Help!!..did I Marry The Wrong Lady? / 6 Ways To Avoid Marrying The Wrong Person / My Brother Is Stupidly In Love With The Wrong Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by fifi09(f): 6:01pm On Feb 22, 2010
aseju:

It can cross ones mind as such when the turbulence of marriage gets rough some times. However, if both parties are committed to the relationship, they wont want to crashland together. It has crossed my mind at such times, we survived it. It is a life long project that you work on. It can be gratifying when you look back at the journey. The challenges will surely be there regardless of whomever you take this journey with. I pray mine to be a never-ending one. I am with the RIGHT one.
Amen to that!
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Feb 23, 2010
fifi09:

I do Not and will Never encourage unhealthy or violent relationships. All i'm saying is that No one has the perfect marriage or perfect spouse. Learn to love that person you married. Good, bad, it doesn't matter (loving the bad things - meaning accepting your partner's flaws. Since no one is perfect, you want to learn to appreciate the differences between the TWO of you. Trying to change her/him after getting married will only make both of you miserable.

inasmuch as i agree with most points u raised,especially on loving the person u married,i still tend to disgree with u on loving ur 'bad' spouse.it takes two to solve watever problems one has within marriage.The two must be ready to love each other and also be devoted to solving watever issues they have.so wat happens wen as a man,ur spouse is always giving u problems, is indifferent and from all indications,the love seems to have gone? i dont advise accepting that,making ur life more miserable.Any marriage that does not involve one sacrifice or d other from both parties is bound to hit d rocks.
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by fifi09(f): 8:19pm On Feb 23, 2010
newtontoyo:

inasmuch as i agree with most points u raised,especially on loving the person u married,i still tend to disgree with u on loving your 'bad' spouse. it takes two to solve watever problems one has within marriage.[/b]The two must be ready to love each other and also be devoted to solving watever issues they have.so wat happens wen as a man,your spouse is always giving u problems, is indifferent and from all indications,the love seems to have gone? i dont advise accepting that,making your life more miserable.Any marriage that does not involve one sacrifice or d other from both parties is bound to hit d rocks.
Like I said before… Loving the bad things meaning accepting your partner's flaws and view them as "facts of life".
Trying to change your partner is difficult and is one of the biggest relationship myths around.   

If you're trying to change someone, you are indirectly telling them that you don't love them the way they are. To me, aceptance is LOVE.
If you want this person to change who they are, then why are you with them in the first place? No one is perfect, learn to appreciate the differences between the TWO of you.
They'll change for You when they're ready.

To answer your question: Learn to fall in love again with your partner, and get counseling. If that doesn't work get a divorce.
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Feb 25, 2010
fifi09:

Like I said before… Loving the bad things meaning accepting your partner's flaws and view them as "facts of life".
Trying to change your partner is difficult and is one of the biggest relationship myths around.

If you're trying to change someone, you are indirectly telling them that you don't love them the way they are. To me, aceptance is LOVE.
If you want this person to change who they are, then why are you with them in the first place? No one is perfect, learn to appreciate the differences between the TWO of you.
They'll change for You when they're ready.

To answer your question: Learn to fall in love again with your partner, and get counseling. If that doesn't work get a divorce.

U just hit d nail on d head in ur last statement.(IN BOLD FONTS).There is a level of 'BAD' things one can accept especially if one does not want to be miserable for the rest of one's life.
I am not having any problems watsover.im just expressing my own opinion on the issue
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 25, 2010
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by Damysa(f): 4:50pm On Mar 03, 2010
I regret marrying my spouse most of the time. Infact I am at a crossroad.

I have lost my mind completely and I wanna take a walk k. cry
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by ibubee(f): 12:44pm On Mar 04, 2010
I agree with spiderman's comment. The truth is, it certainly crosses every one's mind xpecially when there is any misunderstanding cos we are humans. It can never be 100% perfect since we have our differences and that is why we have to complement each other and not compete with each other.

The fact that such thought crosses our minds on ocassions does not mean our spouses are wrong partners, our minds are battle grounds for wrong and right thoughts. it now depends on how we handle such thoughts. Remeber, u can not stop a bird from flying over u, but u can stop it from building a next on ur head! It is best to discard any thought that is not profitable to the health of ur relationship than ruminating over it.

Some are actually the wrong partners and not their spouses. But which ever, wrong partner or wrong individual, U can still make the relationship work. Some1 has got to change his attitude. U can take the lead to love unconditionally, and see the miracle it will perform on ur partner. When u know there is a problem, then the issue is half solved. I challenge those that think they are married to the wrong person to try this out, and pls feed us with the testimonies.

For me, I married the right person, no matter the challenges cos they are meant to strengthen the bonds of our love if well handled!

1 Like

Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by ibubee(f): 1:15pm On Mar 04, 2010
I will suggest u read the book 'Hope for the seperated' by Gary Chapam, It will help a lot.

Can You Love an Unfaithful Spouse?
by Dr. Gary Chapman

Can you really love a spouse who has been unfaithful to you? One lady who was reading my book: Hope for the Separated, told me that when she came to the chapter on "long distance love" that she threw the book on the floor and said to herself, "I'll never love him again after all he's done to me."

"A few days later", she said, " I picked up the book and continued reading. I discovered that Jesus said that we were to 'love our enemies'. Well my husband certainly qualified. It took a few weeks, but I remember the day I baked him a pie and took it to his apartment. It was the beginning of our process of reconciliation."

Yes, with the help of God we can love those who hurt us deeply.

Some people find it strange when I suggest that the greatest thing you can do for an estranged spouse is to love him or to love her. Yet, this is exactly what Jesus taught. We are to love even our enemies and we are to return good for evil. One of the ways in which you express love to a spouse who has walked out on you is by being patient.

The scriptures say, "love is patient". Your marriage did not fall apart overnight and it will not be rebuilt today. Don't set time limits for yourself or your spouse. Be patient with your spouse's ambivalence.

During separation people are often pulled in two directions: On the one hand is the desire for reconciliation, on the other, there is the pain and hurt that says, 'give up'.

Patience is the first step toward love.
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by christilog: 5:01pm On Mar 04, 2010
Maybe they think it would be easier/better with someone else, once thay reach a few years of marriage and realize it's not all fun and butterflies, The truth is, it would be more or less the same with anybody. Some of the things that are difficult in a marriage are due to marriage itself (it is not easy to share everything with one person, and all the responsibilities of marriage) or to the person herself , and not the partner (for instance, if it is a challenge for me to expose my feelings and talk to my husband about what bothers me I cannot blame it on him to "not understand me" but on myself, things would be the same with another man ).

Of course, there are some situations when a person really does marry the wrong man/woman (I'm thinking of the girls who would still marry their boyfriend after he beat them, or someone with alcohol problems etc.). But all in all, I believe marriage reveals more about ourselves than anything else, and changing partner will not change us, at some point, we have to look at ourselves and accept to change if we want to make the marriage work, not change the partner.
[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
@MISS iFE,
You are rite d thing about marriage is an inward search of urself and an attitude of change from both inorder to build a peaceful home. shocked,as for me am blessed with my wify. tongue grin wink smiley
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by Akebulan: 7:16am On Mar 05, 2010
I am terrified of marrying the wrong person. So, I just might end up sticking with a long-term-relationship-for-life instead.

Sometimes I feel priviledged being single, because at least I am certain that I still havent made that one crazy mistake yet.

But of course, the idea of being with a person you love for ever, is appealing too.
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by Thelmabee: 2:38pm On Apr 07, 2010
@I do not even want to dwell on the thought,
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by na2day2(m): 4:32pm On Apr 20, 2010
Thelmabee:

@newcreatio
omg, better be careful what you say to her then good or bad, its possible to vexed her earlier .

Man !   truth is; you have all the answers to the puzzle.I've to come to learn that when you sincerely play the fool for your wife seeking happines you most definitely will get it - just allowing a woman  be right more than half of the time is the begining of wisdom.
Word!

that is a flat out dumb statement!  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Damysa:

and why's that? what made u pick him out of the lot and what is pushing u away from him now?
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by cexplorer(m): 9:15am On Apr 23, 2010
Philosophically speaking one may not marry the wrong person but could marry for a wrong reason. However practical experiences from married people show that one can marry the wrong person.  For instance, a lady with a blood group of AS who marries a loving and caring guy with a blood group of AS might end up raising children with SS as their blood group.  This could result in either or both of them being unhappy maritally despite the fact that they truly love themselves.

On the other hand, stories by pastors and marriage counsellors indicate that satan could make you marry the wrong person, a male or female child of the devil, sent from hell, to tamper with your destiny on earth!

The primary mission and purpose of this person that you see as an angel in your life is to stop you from attaining the height God set for you and prevent you from reaching your goals.  If you ask me, I'll tell you that this is true and real!

I share the wealth of experience of the owner of www.marriagestrata.com where I draw inspiration from, to help in my marriage.  So, I take side with the fact that you could marry the wrong person!
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by mamagee3(f): 6:44pm On May 25, 2010
Damysa:

Sorry dear but it's for better for worse.
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by fifi09(f): 7:28pm On May 25, 2010
newtontoyo:

U just hit d nail on d head in your last statement.(IN BOLD FONTS).There is a level of 'BAD' things one can accept especially if one does not want to be miserable for the rest of one's life.
I am not having any problems watsover.im just expressing my own opinion on the issue

Good, I'm glad we're on the same page now.
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by dare2think: 12:29pm On Mar 27, 2012
Miss_Ife: Maybe they think it would be easier/better with someone else, once thay reach a few years of marriage and realize it's not all fun and butterflies, The truth is, it would be more or less the same with anybody. Some of the things that are difficult in a marriage are due to marriage itself (it is not easy to share everything with one person, and all the responsibilities of marriage) or to the person herself , and not the partner (for instance, if it is a challenge for me to expose my feelings and talk to my husband about what bothers me I cannot blame it on him to "not understand me" but on myself, things would be the same with another man wink ).

Of course, there are some situations when a person really does marry the wrong man/woman (I'm thinking of the girls who would still marry their boyfriend after he beat them, or someone with alcohol problems etc.). But all in all, I believe marriage reveals more about ourselves than anything else, and changing partner will not change us, at some point, we have to look at ourselves and accept to change if we want to make the marriage work, not change the partner.

Very insightful.

Personally, I think the bold is one of the most challenging in relationships!
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by MLS12(f): 4:48pm On Mar 27, 2012
Wen tins dont really go as planned,or ur spouse is not living upto to expectations.in ur quiet time,one could wish.I myself have wished I married my ex boyfriend because he was more of a fun 2me and looks good,dat thot crossed my mind wen my hubby was becoming too busy.everytin was just work and nutin more,buh after some few hours I was still glad I married my hubby,a very good friend of mine.
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by dare2think: 5:18pm On Mar 27, 2012
MLS12: Wen tins dont really go as planned,or ur spouse is not living upto to expectations.in ur quiet time,one could wish.I myself have wished I married my ex boyfriend because he was more of a fun 2me and looks good,dat thot crossed my mind wen my hubby was becoming too busy.everytin was just work and nutin more,buh after some few hours I was still glad I married my hubby,a very good friend of mine.

Very Honest!

But chances are, had you married your 'Fun' Ex, you probably would still feel in a similar way when he too gets busy.

Human nature I guess, but its always good to take a step back and realise why a person is an ex.

1 Like

Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 13, 2012
I think I did..........
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by Bisjosh(f): 9:15pm On Apr 14, 2012
WHAT A THREAD angry
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by punta(f): 10:18pm On Apr 14, 2012
Did I marry the wrong person Yes!!! He was not a bad man but we were just not meant to be. I didn't seek the face of God and I was simply excited about being married since all my friends were joining the club at the time. Besides I was only 24 and in retrospect, I have no idea how we ended up married because we have different orientations and ideals. He would certainly make a good husband for some girl out there. I hope we become friends again one day. He is still bitter with me for throwing in the towel......don't blame me, I tried hard enough.
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 15, 2012
[quote author=punta]Did I marry the wrong person Yes!! He would certainly make a good husband for some girl out there.

exactly my thots!
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by maryini(f): 12:48pm On Apr 15, 2012
punta: Did I marry the wrong person Yes!!! He was not a bad man but we were just not meant to be. I didn't seek the face of God and I was simply excited about being married since all my friends were joining the club at the time. Besides I was only 24 and in retrospect, I have no idea how we ended up married because we have different orientations and ideals. He would certainly make a good husband for some girl out there. I hope we become friends again one day. He is still bitter with me for throwing in the towel......don't blame me, I tried hard enough.

How do you find out a guy's orientations and ideals? It is so easy to make ur mistake. I empathise with you.
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by alexola20(m): 9:10pm On Sep 01, 2012
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by rubi(f): 10:26pm On Aug 27, 2013
Interesting topic
Re: Did You Marry The Wrong Person? by mgbeketoto: 10:43pm On Aug 27, 2013
YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSOOOOOOH!!!! kiss

He is a NIGERIAN MAN! How good can it get? undecided

Good father, LOUSSSSSSY HUSBAND like they were born to be!!!! But I am determined to manage him JUST LIKE THAT! I can't blame genetics!

Bush FAWU must be bush FAWU even "IN ABROAD"! grin

I can't marry a NORTHERNER, EASTERNER OR WESTERNER. . . . Not to mention to an AKATASTROPHY OR WHITE MAN!!!! kiss

I can make myself happy BY MYSELF!!!! cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Right Age to Date (for children) / Enlarged Prostate, Diabetes, Varicoceles And Appendicitis Curable With Herbs / Corrections Men Hate From Women!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.