Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? (29306 Views)

Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by dust144(m): 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2017
Yes is both responsibility
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2017
eyinjuege:

That's so wrong on all levels .

No self respecting family will do that.

It's lack of shame, what a terrible family to marry from.

You'll be surprised at how the same wife will not want the man to financially support any member of his own family.
The man is a ....

Let me not use the word I was going to. Afterall, it's not my consign.
Let me comman be going

...a feline also known as (...)
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by blezzymoore: 7:30pm On Aug 14, 2017
NO
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by edicied: 7:31pm On Aug 14, 2017
MissRaine69:
It's not mandatory your "friend" has parents as well does he not? Rather than lament about things he need to talk to the wife as she is most likely the ambassador every relationship needs boundaries regardless of culture.
It's the op that facing this issue the friend is just imaginary

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Gotze1: 7:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rapmoney:
A friend of mine recently lamented badly how he has been subjected to a mere source of income for his wife's family. Apart from buying things for them during festive periods, he is still been called on every now and then to take care of minor issues that should ordinarily be taken care of the family. There are grown up men in his wife's family but this young man will still be called on to foot medical bills of his father-in-law, support house rent and other funny things such as paying for DSTV subscription. Whenever he complained to the wife about these, she would tell him if members of her family could help, they would have done that. The eldest male in the family who is almost 42 still calls my friend for financial assistance!

Now, my question is: Does it mean if my pal's wife didn't marry him, the entire family would have been wiped out by financial problems? I personally feel his unnecessary kindness towards the family is becoming a huge burden in life. I believe he is been used.

I believe this is a common phenomenon in some families which makes it look as if it is the responsibility of a man to cater for his wife's family no matter how comfortable or not the man may be.

Why all of you like this self. Everytime, your friend your friend. Well, I no get anything to say since that your friend no dey here.

5 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Okoyiboz3: 7:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
OP, stop lying. We all know it's you it happened to.

You that can't man up to tell us you're the one experiencing this can never man up to tell off your wife's parasitic family.

13 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by julietm123: 7:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
Sad, the man just wants to be worshipped by his in-laws, but unfortunately he isn't up to the task. He should stop complaining, na him first show him hand to them.

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by abike12(f): 7:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
it's not the man's responsibility. however if he is in a position to help there's nothing wrong with it just like if the wife is in a position to help her husband's people she should also do it. marriage is about the joining of two people in love, and by extension, their families. no problem in lifting one another up.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by muller101(m): 7:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
God for bid
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by twinskenny(m): 7:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
Was courting a girl back then.. Al of a sudden the sibling including started calling me for favour.. recharge card today school fees tommorow.. I stylishly cut of the relationship

3 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
ojun50:

all fall down to hw u lay yr bed oh. He should called is wife nd discussed it with her. He should act has a man
He doesn't owe his wife any explanation. Just take a stand and stop it. This people will not know him again or look back when they are grown up or if he has any problem at all and expect help from them. Let him face his own family.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by dakeskese(m): 7:33pm On Aug 14, 2017
... In Black Africa, yea!
In saner climes, not entirely the case.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
Gotze1:
Why all of you like this self. Everytime, your friend your friend. Well, I no get anything to say since that your friend no dey here.
Don't mind them. It is always their friend. I don't know the shame there. Just tell us you are the one.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Edu3Again: 7:35pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rapmoney:
A friend of mine recently lamented badly how he has been subjected to a mere source of income for his wife's family. Apart from buying things for them during festive periods, he is still been called on every now and then to take care of minor issues that should ordinarily be taken care of the family. There are grown up men in his wife's family but this young man will still be called on to foot medical bills of his father-in-law, support house rent and other funny things such as paying for DSTV subscription. Whenever he complained to the wife about these, she would tell him if members of her family could help, they would have done that. The eldest male in the family who is almost 42 still calls my friend for financial assistance!

Now, my question is: Does it mean if my pal's wife didn't marry him, the entire family would have been wiped out by financial problems? I personally feel his unnecessary kindness towards the family is becoming a huge burden in life. I believe he is been used.

I believe this is a common phenomenon in some families which makes it look as if it is the responsibility of a man to cater for his wife's family no matter how comfortable or not the man may be.

Bros tell say things that are necessary, its nice to help.
Things like DSTV, NO WAY

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Oyindidi(f): 7:36pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rapmoney:

Tell him to continue, if na me e marry he for get sense like tortoise.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by sirfee(m): 7:36pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rapmoney:
Lol! I think some Nigerian parents feel their sons-in-law owe them financial assistance.
They should marry their daughters,marriage is not a poverty alleviation scheme.

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by solexybaba(m): 7:36pm On Aug 14, 2017
I also hav a friend lika dat Bt seriously, a man has to do wot he gotta do or else kasala go burst

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 14, 2017
Well you were built as a man, so do the needful, that's why you've a wife for support and not liability.

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Babz18: 7:37pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rapmoney:

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by solexybaba(m): 7:39pm On Aug 14, 2017
D funny tin is d problem neva ends.so na lika dat u go kontinue.u need to draw d curtains
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by EmagNig(m): 7:40pm On Aug 14, 2017
This Kiss Daniel Comedy Skit Video Will not kill me oooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxSzMQ2wJrA
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 14, 2017
Certainly not. You can do things for them occasionally as it is comfortable for you. But don't put ur self under pressure unnecessarily.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by piagetskinner(m): 7:41pm On Aug 14, 2017
nop...he married the wife not her clan....

if he has plenty money at his disposal he can offer help where necessary...but he is not meant to do that under any compulsion
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Fearlez: 7:46pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rapmoney:

Let me guess, your friend is from the East! cheesy

There's an unspoken tradition there that subjects their daughters as cashcows and in-laws as a tool for exploitation.

Being an in-law to the East is burdensome.

3 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by EmpressT(f): 7:49pm On Aug 14, 2017
The woman's family no even pity em husband small.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Juliearth(f): 7:49pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rapmoney:

Your wife's family becomes your family after marriage,so you should take care of them as you would your own family.

Modified: so, my comment was quoted countlessly in the wrong light. Sometimes,I think we should take a chill pill and read comments with an open mind. The family I talked about above is none other but a man's extended family and not his nuclear family and footing their bills is/should be done out of goodwill and not a matter of necessitative responsibility. Do you need to foot the subscription fees of your uncle?.. or buy aso ebi for his wife ..? But then if there is a life threatening emergency and you have the means to help,it'd be wise to do so....such rights are deserving of your wife's family too. I hope nobody quotes me in the wrong light. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by mmsen: 7:51pm On Aug 14, 2017
No.

If you can help then do what you can but don't destroy your own finances or health trying to assist them.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by FromZeroToHero(m): 7:51pm On Aug 14, 2017
He that watereth shall be watered. A generous man prospers whereas the stingy looses everything. If your friend has the financial ability to help let him go ahead. Blessed is the hand that giveth.

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ONYII4TRUT: 7:52pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rapmoney:

Plz we are Africans we are not oyibo pple. Our family system is closely knitted and that's how we are. However, wisdom is profitable get it to handle very sensitive issue like this but remember they your family too.

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Koskio(m): 7:52pm On Aug 14, 2017
If what you said is true, then the logical conclusion is that the wife and her family have no honour.

The husband urgently needs to be bold and learn how not to grant frivolous requests otherwise he would be financially wrecked and possibly sent to his grave much earlier than he thinks. I guess the wife and her family won't hesitate to shop for a replacement when that happens.

Even if he is Dangote, it is still wrong for him to continue granting all their requests since he will be encouraging laziness!

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 14, 2017
elektra:
His wife's people are not his responsibility and your friend knows it.
How long has he been married? They are probably still in the honeymoon stage and it is easy for him to be swayed by his wife.
When your friend is ready for it to stop he will put an end to it. He is not yet ready that is why he is still lamenting and doing nothing about the situation

Won't u like your husband to help your family members?
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by sirfee(m): 7:52pm On Aug 14, 2017
thesicilian:
When I have not finished taking care of my own family.
The most annoying part is that some wives are very hostile,they have no love and respect for their in-laws.They are ready to bring their entire village to your home but don't want to see your own family.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Happened That Made You Believe Spiritual Is Real / My Mum Is Planning To Forcefully Give Out My Little Sister Out For Marriage / My Step Dad Is Maltreating My Mom, I Am Confused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.