Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? (29308 Views)

Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by LoveJesus87(m): 7:52pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rapmoney:
Lol! I think some Nigerian parents feel their sons-in-law owe them financial assistance.
They must be INSANE
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by PDPGuy: 7:53pm On Aug 14, 2017
Hell no.

The man could assist members of his wife's family occasionally; but he shouldn't bear a disproportionate burden of taking care of the financial needs of his immediate inlaws.

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by sirfee(m): 7:55pm On Aug 14, 2017
Juliearth:

Your wife's family becomes your family after marriage,so you should take care of them as you would your own family.
Including their Dstv subscription? Na by force to watch dstv abi....weldone ma

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Kaybaba5(m): 7:57pm On Aug 14, 2017
Though am into marriage but have not experienced this before or now....
May God help us
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Ameeria: 7:57pm On Aug 14, 2017
I can guess the part of country your friend's in-laws are from, they not only sell their daughters, they rob themselves of all self-respect along side. No self respecting family turns their in-laws into their ATM. A seldom plea for help can be excused though.

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by PDPGuy: 7:58pm On Aug 14, 2017
twinskenny:
Was courting a girl back then.. Al of a sudden the sibling including started calling me for favour.. recharge card today school fees tommorow.. I stylishly cut of the relationship
Imagine that
What if you two got married? They would then ask you to pay for their holidays in Dubai. Our people can be unreasonable at times.

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by elektra(f): 7:59pm On Aug 14, 2017
Pidgin2:

Won't u like your husband to help your family members?

It doesn't matter what I like. It is not his responsibility.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by femi4: 7:59pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rapmoney:
A friend of mine recently lamented badly how he has been subjected to a mere source of income for his wife's family. Apart from buying things for them during festive periods, he is still been called on every now and then to take care of minor issues that should ordinarily be taken care of the family. There are grown up men in his wife's family but this young man will still be called on to foot medical bills of his father-in-law, support house rent and other funny things such as paying for DSTV subscription. Whenever he complained to the wife about these, she would tell him if members of her family could help, they would have done that. The eldest male in the family who is almost 42 still calls my friend for financial assistance!

Now, my question is: Does it mean if my pal's wife didn't marry him, the entire family would have been wiped out by financial problems? I personally feel his unnecessary kindness towards the family is becoming a huge burden in life. I believe he is been used.

I believe this is a common phenomenon in some families which makes it look as if it is the responsibility of a man to cater for his wife's family no matter how comfortable or not the man may be.

Rule 1: Never marry a woman from a struggling family

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by AreaFada2: 8:06pm On Aug 14, 2017
Some parts of Nigeria are like that. We can already guess where. But it is not his job. He can help according to his means.

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
femi4:
Rule 1: Never marry a woman from a struggling family
So who will marry the woman from a struggling family?
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
Dats y I will marry from a rich family
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by NCANTaskForce: 8:12pm On Aug 14, 2017
More reason I won't marry a girl from Imo State, God Forbid.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by laydoh(m): 8:12pm On Aug 14, 2017
is he not man enough to say NO!!!,dey will wreck him one way or another and leave him.if e can't say NO,e shud divorce his wife and r family 2geda,dats if she neva born ooo.
is he dia son? or e no get him own parents m very sure his own parents will be very pissed if they learn abt dis
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by femi4: 8:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
Nma27:
So who will marry the woman from a struggling family?
A struggling man

4 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by sweatlana: 8:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
It depends. My husband has taken care of my family and has never complained.

I don't think it's a responsibility. It's more like assistance.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Juliearth(f): 8:15pm On Aug 14, 2017
sirfee:
Including their Dstv subscription? Na by force to watch dstv abi....weldone ma

Maybe you should relax and try to understand my statement,with a clear mind.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 14, 2017
Song in-laws help out their wife's families wella over here. I think its an unwritten tradition or culture. Some go to s extent of building and furnishing houses for their in-laws. Mind you, these son-in-laws are wealthy o. As e reach u, u do. No one will force u to bring out anything, only common sense.

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by juman(m): 8:17pm On Aug 14, 2017
If the husband has the excess money to assist.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Aug 14, 2017
femi4:
A struggling man
OK.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Tedassie(m): 8:18pm On Aug 14, 2017
chubbygal:
See dem with talk
abeg,go plait am...plait the one 'downstairs' too

yeye dey smell.

angry
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Sunymoore(m): 8:19pm On Aug 14, 2017
Juliearth:

Your wife's family becomes your family after marriage,so you should take care of them as you would your own family.
No at all. I didn't remember marrying her family, I married her, and only her is my responsibility. It's good to be generous to her family but never a responsibility. Where dem dey when my family were busy struggling just for me to be a man? Abeggi!

3 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by demefa(m): 8:19pm On Aug 14, 2017
Juliearth:

Una go do Olosho till wen Una marry Una go carry Una family join for d extortion

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by dingbang(m): 8:20pm On Aug 14, 2017
When u marry from a poor family...

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Chukazu: 8:20pm On Aug 14, 2017
Op tell your friend... Na for village them do am

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Sunymoore(m): 8:21pm On Aug 14, 2017
demefa:
Una go do Olosho till wen Una marry Una carry Una family join for d extortion
Your head dey there my brother.. See sense of entitlement.. She no dey even shame.. Choii!

3 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Chukazu: 8:23pm On Aug 14, 2017
ITbomb:
Maybe your friend no pay the bride price finish, na by installment

Or

Your friend had set a bad precedent and they all assume he likes to give.
Why would someone that can't afford to pay DSTV subscription be watching DStv

Imagine paying for somebody's luxury?
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by MadCow1: 8:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
Responsibility? NO!!!!
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Sunymoore(m): 8:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
dingbang:
When u marry from a poor family...

Poor family that are not contented..

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by sirfee(m): 8:25pm On Aug 14, 2017
Juliearth:

Maybe you should relax and try to understand my statement,with a clear mind.
I got your message,assistance is allowed but parasitism is prohibited,it sucks.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Juliearth(f): 8:28pm On Aug 14, 2017
sirfee:
I got your message,assistance is allowed but parasitism is prohibited,it sucks.

If truly you got my message,then your first comment wouldnt have been necessary. Anyways,to each his own. Selah!
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Juliearth(f): 8:31pm On Aug 14, 2017
Sunymoore:

No at all. I didn't remember marrying her family, I married her, and only her is my responsibility. It's good to be generous to her family but never a responsibility. Where dem dey when my family were busy struggling just for me to be a man? Abeggi!

Calm down and read my comment again. (same advise I gave to someone earlier)
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by chubbygal(f): 8:31pm On Aug 14, 2017
Tedassie:

abeg,go plait am...plait the one 'downstairs' too

yeye dey smell.

angry

Learnt you are a hair stylist ? Abeg text me address

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Mum Is Planning To Forcefully Give Out My Little Sister Out For Marriage / What Happened That Made You Believe Spiritual Is Real / My Step Dad Is Maltreating My Mom, I Am Confused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.