Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,109 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? (29309 Views)

Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by naijaboiy: 8:45am On Aug 15, 2017
Pidgin2:
How can I watch my spouse take care of his family and neglect mine? I reject it in Jesus name
If your spouse is taking care of his family what stops you from taking care of your own family?

Was it your family that brought him up to the level he is today?

Stop typing trash madam.

4 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Yellowsun16: 9:02am On Aug 15, 2017
I am gonna be plain and truthful...I have always had issues with calling i'd rather text. That's one issue my dad and stepmum always had with me. I have dated this girl for 5years and now we wanna be married but my parents are saying no for several reasons
1: My dad and stepum(who caused a fight that seperated my dad from his siblings long ago, so I only have one aunt that we the kids speak to) has to be married first because my step mum said she doesn't want me wife to be a senior to her in the family.
2: My parents (Dad and stepmum) went to some spiritualist and they told them that my marriage won't last very long.
3: They said if I get married I won't remember the family because of my character.

I have been a Christian but exactly a year ago I gave my life to Christ completely and I stopped fornicating. So now I wanna be married but my parents won't let me because of the excuses I listed above.

My fiancee's parents don't have any problem as long as their daughter gets married to who she loves.

Please I need your honest opinion.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by mecussey(m): 9:26am On Aug 15, 2017
Rapmoney:
A friend of mine recently lamented badly how he has been subjected to a mere source of income for his wife's family. Apart from buying things for them during festive periods, he is still been called on every now and then to take care of minor issues that should ordinarily be taken care of the family. There are grown up men in his wife's family but this young man will still be called on to foot medical bills of his father-in-law, support house rent and other funny things such as paying for DSTV subscription. Whenever he complained to the wife about these, she would tell him if members of her family could help, they would have done that. The eldest male in the family who is almost 42 still calls my friend for financial assistance!

Now, my question is: Does it mean if my pal's wife didn't marry him, the entire family would have been wiped out by financial problems? I personally feel his unnecessary kindness towards the family is becoming a huge burden in life. I believe he is been used.

I believe this is a common phenomenon in some families which makes it look as if it is the responsibility of a man to cater for his wife's family no matter how comfortable or not the man may be.

He is a foolish man. The good thing is foolishness can be cured unlike stupidity. Now, let us go straight to the cure, tell him to man up and stop triming himself to please people. 2. Tell him to tell his wife the sucide mission they are headed to, that anyday the money finish, there two will be dejected. It is better to save for there children or unborn. He should simply limit his gift to festive period or worst case scenario. In Nigeria, it is better to be a demon and be rich than an angel and be poor. A rich devil in Nigeria is respected, honoured and cherished than a poor angel. Fuxkkked up country.

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Olumaeme: 9:38am On Aug 15, 2017
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by calabardick(m): 9:41am On Aug 15, 2017
them never born that kind inlaw or outlaw family well, not after all they collected from me before marrying their daughter
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by luvlymabel: 9:46am On Aug 15, 2017
his life his business wetin concern me
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by claremont(m): 10:00am On Aug 15, 2017
Juliearth:

Your wife's family becomes your family after marriage,so you should take care of them as you would your own family.

This is not true. Sadly, this view seems to be prominent among females from a certain small section of the country.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 15, 2017
Rapmoney:
Lol! I think some Nigerian parents feel their sons-in-law owe them financial assistance.

This is just the beginning, wait till like two of her siblings start staying with you cheesy grin grin ..... all in the name of tradition.

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Fourwinds: 10:44am On Aug 15, 2017
Juliearth:

Your wife's family becomes your family after marriage,so you should take care of them as you would your own family.

Modified: so, my comment was quoted countlessly in the wrong light. Sometimes,I think we should take a chill pill and read comments with an open mind. The family I talked about above is none other but a man's extended family and not his nuclear family and footing their bills is/should be done out of goodwill and not a matter of necessitative responsibility. Do you need to foot the subscription fees of your uncle?.. or buy aso ebi for his wife ..? But then if there is a life threatening emergency and you have the means to help,it'd be wise to do so....such rights are deserving of your wife's family too. I hope nobody quotes me in the wrong light. Cheers!
hmmmmm........women
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Fourwinds: 10:48am On Aug 15, 2017
FromZeroToHero:
He that watereth shall be watered. A generous man prospers whereas the stingy looses everything. If your friend has the financial ability to help let him go ahead. Blessed is the hand that giveth.
sometimes I wonder how some of u read in nairaland here....if he is capable I don't think he would have been complaining.....read while u are facing a book not when u back it

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Fourwinds: 10:57am On Aug 15, 2017
femi4:
Rule 1: Never marry a woman from a struggling family
bahdest guy...some of them dey nairaland here ooooo....dey have gone quiet
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Fourwinds: 11:01am On Aug 15, 2017
Nma27:
So who will marry the woman from a struggling family?
nobody is saying one shouldn't marry from a struggling family but they should use their problem to weigh down d young man....I had such experience while dating....meeeennnhhh it is was terrible....when u can fulfil u see hate in d eyes of d girl...thank God I ended it
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ice4u999(m): 12:50pm On Aug 15, 2017
Juliearth:

Exactly my point. All he needs do is to draw a thick line between their wants and their needs and focus on their needs(the pressing ones at that.)

As the op before your comment stated obtain wisdom. All I am saying is protect yourself first meaning your wife and children before helping others. Helping our parents to me is important but at the same time I have seen some very greedy parents and like you said draw a very thick line and apply wisdom.

The reasons for my previous comment are:

Some parent or parent inlaw are so greedy, to them they believe that it is their entitlement and as such must get what ever they want.

A lot of men can't complain to their wife's because they want peace. Most women go into marriages brainwashed by their family. You need to listen to some of our brothers complain and a lot have actually left their wives for other women just because most women get married with the believe that it is their husband's responsibility to take care of their family ( parents, brother etc). In that family you see able men that have Choosen not to work.

We are not oyinbo definitely but wisdom play a very important role. Give when you can that is after protecting yourself and family as a man but if your fails to understand too bad. Help brother and sister inlaws by constantly giving money is not the best but give them the tool that will enable them make money for themselves ( money to start a business) but if they choose to remain lazy ignore them completely and if your wife fail to understand then too bad.

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ice4u999(m): 1:07pm On Aug 15, 2017
Fourwinds:
nobody is saying one shouldn't marry from a struggling family but they should use their problem to weigh down d young man....I had such experience while dating....meeeennnhhh it is was terrible....when u can fulfil u see hate in d eyes of d girl...thank God I ended it

My brother tell them. The hate you see from those eyes is unbearable. The funny part a lot of guys go all the way to help and still gets dumped at the end. They will dump you fast as soon as your source begin to dry up for another guy and tell you that they paid you back via sleeping with you.

Some girls are evil menh but don't get me wrong o there are alot wonder women out there like my wife..� lol

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ice4u999(m): 1:16pm On Aug 15, 2017
femi4:
Rule 1: Never marry a woman from a struggling family

The rule should be marry a wise womam because I have seen the man come from a struggling family and the woman helped elevate the man
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by femi4: 1:24pm On Aug 15, 2017
ice4u999:

The rule should be marry a wise womam because I have seen the man come from a struggling family and the woman helped elevate the man
That's 1/10000.

An average Nigerian woman with N100 will still want you to split your N10 into two
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 15, 2017
Fourwinds:
Lolz... I get u. Why didn't u teach her to fish rather than giving her fish?
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by jackie35(m): 3:11pm On Aug 15, 2017
Rapmoney:
A friend of mine recently lamented badly how he has been subjected to a mere source of income for his wife's family. Apart from buying things for them during festive periods, he is still been called on every now and then to take care of minor issues that should ordinarily be taken care of the family. There are grown up men in his wife's family but this young man will still be called on to foot medical bills of his father-in-law, support house rent and other funny things such as paying for DSTV subscription. Whenever he complained to the wife about these, she would tell him if members of her family could help, they would have done that. The eldest male in the family who is almost 42 still calls my friend for financial assistance!

Now, my question is: Does it mean if my pal's wife didn't marry him, the entire family would have been wiped out by financial problems? I personally feel his unnecessary kindness towards the family is becoming a huge burden in life. I believe he is been used.

I believe this is a common phenomenon in some families which makes it look as if it is the responsibility of a man to cater for his wife's family no matter how comfortable or not the man may be.

YOUR FRIEND SHOULD THANK GOD THAT HE IS RECOGNIZED IN HIS WIFE FAMILY, THAT IS ONE OF WHAT MAKE MAN A MAN.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Fourwinds: 3:32pm On Aug 15, 2017
Nma27:
Lolz... I get u. Why didn't u teach her to fish rather than giving her fish?
nawa for u ooooo.....u think it is everybody dat can fish.? I don see things ooooo....d perspective in which u are looking at some things some girls won't see...

the reason y I keep say some girls here on nairaland dat are students., I pray dry finish school successfully and get to work....then they will know what it means to earn money...

I have a friend dat just finish NYSC....now u hadly see her on Whatsapp....then when she was still a student up to NYSC allawe....she thinks life was a bed of roses....at least nobody dey tell her testimony now

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by eyinjuege: 4:34pm On Aug 15, 2017
Juliearth:

Exactly my point. All he needs do is to draw a thick line between their wants and their needs and focus on their needs(the pressing ones at that.)

You the wife should focus on your family's needs, your husband also has his own family to cater for.

I've realised most women get angry when the husband spends on his family, but love it when he spends on theirs.

Women also have hands to work, and earn reasonably. Marriage should never be a poverty alleviation program.

Families like that are shameless

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Kobicove(m): 12:06pm On Aug 19, 2017
femi4:
A struggling man

Catastrophe! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Mum Is Planning To Forcefully Give Out My Little Sister Out For Marriage / What Happened That Made You Believe Spiritual Is Real / My Step Dad Is Maltreating My Mom, I Am Confused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.