Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,711 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? (29305 Views)

Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by afongha: 9:59pm On Aug 14, 2017
Juliearth:

Afongha,let this slide! This dumskull is beyond redemption.

I was about to rip the idiot to shreds, but I'll take your advice.

Clearly one who doesn't know that it is 'poverty-stricken', not 'poverty stinky' isn't worth my time.

Its a pity the NYSC kit wasn't given to a more befitting candidate, like one who could compose passable English.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by DonBobes(m): 10:05pm On Aug 14, 2017
My wife's fam aint like dat thank God.
Come c o oluwacypris1

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Rapture4real(m): 10:11pm On Aug 14, 2017
It's not supposed to be.Only an in.law without shame will do that.Your wife is also be blamed.She needs to.protect you against her family.But she has given them an impression that you're capable,they will.keep coming.Stop it as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ReneeNuttall(f): 10:12pm On Aug 14, 2017
Statsocial:
Certainly not. You can do things for them occasionally as it is comfortable for you. But don't put ur self under pressure unnecessarily.

U are so full of wisdom.I really admire ur choice of words.Kudos!

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Juliearth(f): 10:13pm On Aug 14, 2017
afongha:

I was about to rip the idiot to shreds, but I'll take your advice.

Clearly one who doesn't know that it is 'poverty-stricken', not 'poverty stinky' isn't worth my time.

Its a pity the NYSC kit wasn't given to a more befitting candidate, like one who could compose passable English.

Thank you! I couldnt agree more @your last two paragraphs
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Juliearth(f): 10:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
sirfee:
Yeah different strokes for different folks...no hard feelings.

Ciaooooo

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ebby9z(m): 10:22pm On Aug 14, 2017
ITbomb:

Why would someone that can't afford to pay DSTV subscription be watching DStv

cheesy grin cheesy cheesy
This got me

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Aug 14, 2017
1StopRudeness:
For Some family especially if u marry our sisters from the east....its ur duty ooo...cos its a like they did u a great favour by allowing u marry their daughter

...infact as u guys are starting the union...if u are fairly financially comfortable .[/b]they will shock u and ur wife with one or two siblings that you will be taking care of steadily....
[b]
If u are very very very financially okay
..haaaaaaa!!....u will build house for them in the village oooo, replace ur father inlaw's bicycle with a car...
Bye regular holanldis for the mother inlaw...(Igbo mother inlaws don't joke with holandis ooo) she won't even be far from ur crib..men still have some shame so u won't see the father inlaw much...u will pay school fees of siblings oooo...

#no offence to Igbos, just stating experience from my elder brother's union....ndo!!!....emabinu!!

But all in all, Igbos are not bad pple..the wife sabi cook anytime I crayfish go my bro side....and they don't cheat like our ijebu afonja women once they are married...I stand to be corrected though

Next time, get your facts right before typing, for the records, Igbos don't do that.

In Igbo land, the responsibilities in the immediate family is shared between the couples and any other external responsibility (may be from the wife's side or from the husband's side) may be neglected is the couple desires.

Back to the topic, the young man in question is suffering from ezigbommaduism.
When he has his own problem, none of those he's helping today will come to his aid, then he will become wise.

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ebby9z(m): 10:27pm On Aug 14, 2017
I can't lie to you guys. This issue is a major problem for young men nowadays. If person no shine eyes, dem go turn person to poverty alleviation scheme!
E get one girl wey I dey date. I'm having serious second thoughts about her because of her family. She's the first child and has lots of younger ones. Dad's out of job and mum manages one sparsely stocked shop. This girl is always lamenting, she's not demanding...but her huge book of lamentation gets on my nerves. : she wants to pay for this, her younger sister needs to write this exam...igban Kan, awo kan. I dey fear for my future if I finally go marry that babe.

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Origin(f): 10:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
Things to consider:

Do I want my wife to act like a daughter to my parents ( then I can act like a son to her parents).

Everyone prays that their children should benefit them in old age. Do I want this for my parents, then I should want it for my girls parents.

If she takes care of me full time, then I need to own up to her financial responsibility. And if she helps out financially, then I need to chip in in the home front too.

Anyway, the problem is broke man problem. You can't have millions in the akant and be thinkin of kobo kobo problems.

3 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by lastclaire4(f): 10:38pm On Aug 14, 2017
Some family are found of this nonsense. I am sorry but this thing is very common with the igbos. They are always ready to sap the guy dry. It pisses me when I hear such or see such. I have a friend whose family has this attitude. Immediately any of them gets married they attach one young person. I even told my friend to her face that the way her family most especially her father does it that if I were to be a guy that I can't date somebody like her. Immediately I notice it i will take off. I told her she nice and everything a woman is supposed to be and that I can't even recommend her to a cousin of mine who is looking for a wife. The family will dry him and this guy is just starting life. It means the guy will never focus on building a house and expanding his income because he got married into a stupid family that sees their inlaws as atm. Mtcheew. Op for that your friend he should keep complaining to you he shouldn't talk. Like it is by force to watch dstv.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ebby9z(m): 10:38pm On Aug 14, 2017
demefa:
Ok since you went to one dilapidated school and lack good quality education.You don't know the difference between a bad or good sentence.Or was your English teacher sacked?? Or ur poverty stinky parents couldn't pay your school fees?? Oya receive sense empty head. If you don't know what's wrong with that sentence. Then we need to ask you what a noun is!! Illiterate
Just take your L and move on. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that construction, I'm fact it reveals good schooling and sound education. And please don't attempt to defend yourself.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by demefa(m): 11:16pm On Aug 14, 2017
ebby9z:

Just take your L and move on. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that construction, I'm fact it reveals good schooling and sound education. And please don't attempt to defend yourself.
Take your confused illiterate self to your lame parents,who didn't give u good quality education. When you don't know what a noun is?? How can you identify an error in a sentence!!!
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Sunymoore(m): 11:28pm On Aug 14, 2017
Juliearth:

"Your family" in this context means your extended family(parents,siblings,uncles...) do you foot all their bills?
My parents and my siblings. Though, my parents are so comfortable that I can only pray to be better than them, my brother is also good, I only have to care about my junior brother. Apart from the above listed, any help rendered is out of goodwill not responsibility..
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by signeddocuments: 11:45pm On Aug 14, 2017
I think this issue is common most especially when you marry from a struggling family.after I completed my three bedroom flat, I needed housemaid to help my wife in the house, we got one,but the amount we are paying is so high including putting her in a school.I and My wife agreed to go to village and bring one relative to the house to help out.But I could not follow her but to my greatest shock she brought three instead of one person.Since that time, I have been at a war with my wife because I later discovered she wants to use the opportunity to train her brother's children with my resources.I told her I will not be responsible for the children education because their father is still alive.I have given her quit notice to vacate my house except if she returns the children.It is a big shame for any in -law to over burden any man just because he marries your daughter. I am about to divorce my my wife.

7 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by BiggyBamBam: 12:28am On Aug 15, 2017
Why can't the girl's family take care of the guy or the girl to take care of the man's family?

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by escapefromusa(f): 12:52am On Aug 15, 2017
Choose one challenge they constantly have and do it consistently. So no to anything else.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by 1234IKECHhukwu: 2:20am On Aug 15, 2017
ITbomb:
Maybe your friend no pay the bride price finish, na by installment

Or

Your friend had set a bad precedent and they all assume he likes to give.
And the worst is that the greedy folks always go for the biggest package.

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Sike(m): 2:28am On Aug 15, 2017
Tell your friend to stop now before it's too late

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by 400billionman: 3:15am On Aug 15, 2017
Rapmoney:
Lol! I think some Nigerian parents feel their sons-in-law owe them financial assistance.

Nobody owes you anything.

This is the key to living a happy life. Expect nothing from anyone.

And for the guy FORMING ATM, let him continue. The Bible instructs men to cater for their wives and children,(immediate family) not the whole village.

I am not saying one should not assist in-laws.

2 Likes

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by 400billionman: 3:20am On Aug 15, 2017
ITbomb:
Maybe your friend no pay the bride price finish, na by installment

Or

Your friend had set a bad precedent and they all assume he likes to give.

grin

I wonder!

When I am watching GoTv and MyTv
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by ice4u999(m): 5:06am On Aug 15, 2017
Juliearth:

Your wife's family becomes your family after marriage,so you should take care of them as you would your own family.

As a wife of your husband spend all his money taking care of your family and as result can't save anything. If this man dies tomorrow and then as a wife you have no savings to take care of yourself and children. Trust me you will insult the man for the rest of your life. Also then you will be shocked how this your family will abandon you.
Sister always protect your husband and your children. Make sure you guys are well comfortable before thinking or considering helping others

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Juliearth(f): 6:14am On Aug 15, 2017
ice4u999:

As a wife of your husband spend all his money taking care of your family and as result can't save anything. If this man dies tomorrow and then as a wife you have no savings to take care of yourself and children. Trust me you will insult the man for the rest of your life. Also then you will be shocked how this your family will abandon you.
Sister always protect your husband and your children. Make sure you guys are well comfortable before thinking or considering helping others

My brother,your comment is simply uncalled for. Maybe I should rephrase my comment....no! The family I am talking about here is the extended family(parents,siblings,relations...)
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Juliearth(f): 6:17am On Aug 15, 2017
Sunymoore:

My parents and my siblings. Though, my parents are so comfortable that I can only pray to be better than them, my brother is also good, I only have to care about my junior brother. Apart from the above listed, any help rendered is out of goodwill not responsibility..

Exactly....such help is rendered out of goodwill and not a matter of necessitative responsibility...Thats exactly what I mean
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Juliearth(f): 6:26am On Aug 15, 2017
ONYII4TRUT:

Plz we are Africans we are not oyibo pple. Our family system is closely knitted and that's how we are. However, wisdom is profitable get it to handle very sensitive issue like this but remember they your family too.

Exactly my point. All he needs do is to draw a thick line between their wants and their needs and focus on their needs(the pressing ones at that.)
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Horo(m): 6:29am On Aug 15, 2017
Is funny but a lot of in law assumed such roles thereby making it as a must

1 Like

Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Sunymoore(m): 6:37am On Aug 15, 2017
Juliearth:

Exactly....such help is rendered out of goodwill and not a matter of necessitative responsibility...Thats exactly what I mean
Ohh! Then we are good.
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 15, 2017
How can I watch my spouse take care of his family and neglect mine? I reject it in Jesus name
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 6:57am On Aug 15, 2017
Sterix10:
Dats y I will marry from a rich family
don't worry, marrying into a rich woman's family makes them treat you like a useless son in law, especially when you are broke
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 15, 2017
signeddocuments:
I think this issue is common most especially when you marry from a struggling family.after I completed my three bedroom flat, I needed housemaid to help my wife in the house, we got one,but the amount we are paying is so high including putting her in a school.I and My wife agreed to go to village and bring one relative to the house to help out.But I could not follow her but to my greatest shock she brought three instead of one person.Since that time, I have been at a war with my wife because I later discovered she wants to use the opportunity to train her brother's children with my resources.I told her I will not be responsible for the children education because their father is still alive.I have given her quit notice to vacate my house except if she returns the children.It is a big shame for any in -law to over burden any man just because he marries your daughter. I am about to divorce my my wife.
and you call yourself a man
Re: Is It The Responsibility Of A Man To Take Care Of His Wife's Family? by Jahblessme: 8:03am On Aug 15, 2017
I thought NL people always tell women that when they marry the man's family becomes hers? Doesn't the same apply to the man?
As long as both spouses work and contribute to family upkeep,it should be equal amounts or according to how the couple decide to help both families especially depending on who is more needy.You cannot expect the needs of a retired couple and a couple with 19 children with the man's spouse being the first to have the same financial needs.

Any extras should be taken from personal money.

When it's now about a single income home,it's totally unfair to expect one person to carry the burden so should be according to family agreement.

Imagine if it's a wife that wrote as the Op? I know all those foaming at the mouth now would write differently and bring up culture fo backing.

Op if weight is too much please unburden yourself and refuse to do more.Your wife can go get a job.

Its always easier to avoid being the family saviour or marrying from family that has 100 mouths to feed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Mum Is Planning To Forcefully Give Out My Little Sister Out For Marriage / My Step Dad Is Maltreating My Mom, I Am Confused / My Husband Smells My Underwear Everytime I Return Home – Woman Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.