Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,490 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin (2585 Views)

APC Now Riding On Jonathan’s Legacies. Pictures. / Buhari’s List Not Worth The Wait, He Should Have Submitted On May 29 – Odumakin / Why I Dropped Buhari For Jonathan — Odumakin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by mekusxxx: 2:28am On Feb 15, 2010
Why Yoruba Unity Remains Elusive, By Adebanjo, Adegbuyi, Odumakin
By Kamal Tayo Oropo and Jumobi Adegbite

THOSE looking forward to unity in the Southwest geo-political zone, especially as represented by a unified umbrella body, may need to wait a little longer, as stakeholders contest the basis for such an expectation.

Against the backdrop of next Friday's meeting of another emerging socio-cultural organisation, the Yoruba Legacy Forum, in the Ikenne, Ogun State, home of the patriarch of Afenifere, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, stalwart of Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, has told The Guardian that even at inception of Afenifere, many prominent Yorubas were not in its fold and as such, the group could not be said to represent all Yorubas. His words: "This is the distinction I always like to make. People erroneously think that because of the achievements of Chief Obafemi Awolowo under the Action Group government, and because of the popularity of Afenifere, it is a Yoruba organisation. But it is not, because it does not consist of all Yorubas. When it existed, prominent Yoruba citizens like Adeniran Ogunsanya, T.O.S Benson, Richard Akinjide and others were in opposition parties. Not all Yorubas supported Afenifere. Only the Action Group in the West supported it".

Though speaking from the other side of the divide, one of the founders of Afenifere Renewal Group (ARG) Chief Bisi Adegbuyi, questioned the search for Yoruba unity, saying such had never happened before and there was no basis for expecting it.

"Those who seek Yoruba political unity or wish that the race speaks with one voice, labour in vain. I say this, conscious of our history that Yorubas never spoke with one voice politically, not even during the glorious reign of the late sage, the legendary Obafemi Awolowo," Adegbuyi stated.

If this position gives the organisers of the Yoruba Legacy Forum some thoughts to ponder, then that of the ARG's National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Yinka Odumakin, could be more thought provoking, as the former National Publicity Secretary of the better known Afenifere, distanced himself and ARG from the possibility of coming under an umbrella group.

His words: "There is no legacy to talk about in Yorubaland today. If there are, parts of which we don't want, it must be the legacy of rigging elections, political assassinations, and the destruction of our core values, education and health. All the legacies of Chief Obafemi Awolowo have been destroyed. Today, the plank on which the Yoruba nation stood has been destroyed, under the guise that Obasanjo took us to the mainstream".

But Adebanjo said those who believe something is wrong with Afenifere should attend the meeting called by Chief (Mrs.) Awolowo, saying: "I still believe they should come and accuse Afenifere leaders before her. Let her tell us those who are wrong and those who are right, and then move forward. It is not by being antagonistic and exchanging words. Strife does not help any organisation, and it is detrimental to the development of any society. After all we have no personal interest to settle since both parties want to champion the interest of Yorubaland. So, I think it is wise to go before an elderly person and settle discords. The question is why are they hesitant to do that?"

Odumakin may have answered him, when he said that the ARG was not quarrelling with anyone, as such there was nothing to settle. "The meeting did not include us because we are not fighting with anybody. Mama could have made efforts to reconcile the warring parties. We had also made such efforts, which did not succeed, in the past, and when we became frustrated with the unending process, we decided to do something more meaningful with our lives", Odumakin said.

Tools
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by mekusxxx: 2:29am On Feb 15, 2010
Political assasinations was one of the few legacies that Awo left that is still standing.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by mekusxxx: 2:34am On Feb 15, 2010
The second legacy he left was that of stealing public money. That has also being sustained by his sons and daughters (awon omo odua).
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by biina: 3:00am On Feb 15, 2010
Na wah for dis ur 'man crush' on Awolowo.

The truth his that no matter what his personal flaws were, and whatever crimes he committed, he would still be remembered for such things as his policy on free and mandatory education, and free health care; notable firsts like the first TV station in Africa and first stadium in west Africa; and, the creation/transition of the University of Ibadan, Ife and Lagos.

These are things that benefited the people, and are so much more than you can say for any of his contemporaries or any other Nigerian leader for that matter, irrespective of his/her place of origin or ethnicity.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by mekusxxx: 3:38am On Feb 15, 2010
biina:

Na wah for dis your 'man crush' on Awolowo.

The truth his that no matter what his personal flaws were, and whatever crimes he committed, he would still be remembered for such things as his policy on free and mandatory education, and free health care; notable firsts like the first TV station in Africa and first stadium in west Africa; and, the creation/transition of the University of Ibadan, Ife and Lagos.

These are things that benefited the people, and are so much more than you can say for any of his contemporaries or any other Nigerian leader for that matter, irrespective of his/her place of origin or ethnicity.

Bloody liar. Awo had no hand in the creation of U.I. and UniLag. The later was created by the FGN. Are you responding to me or to another person? You know Yoruba false claims do not fly with me
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by Dede1(m): 3:54am On Feb 15, 2010
@biina

With all due respect, Awolowo was cutting lawns in Essex, London to survive for a day when University College, Ibadan was founded.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by aloyemeka2: 4:14am On Feb 15, 2010
biina:

These are things that benefited the people, and are so much more than you can say for any of his contemporaries or any other Nigerian leader for that matter, irrespective of his/her place of origin or ethnicity.

Should we close our eyes on his sins because of his free education program?. Something he did with govt money and not his personal money for that matter. If it was Abiola you are praising like this, I wouldn't bother to complain. Abiola raised and educated  a generation with his money and not government money. That is someone who should remain evergreen in our hearts and not a mass murderer like Awolowo. You are praising Awolowo because your government in Nigeria is epileptic if not, what is free education?. May I remind you that Ogbonnaya Onu or so  did the same thing all his tenure as a governor. I don't see Igbo people idolizing him because he used their money to to pay for their education. That is why you are a leader. damn, Nigerians are used to leaders eating their money so much that anybody who did a small thing with their change becomes a hero.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by babapupa: 4:17am On Feb 15, 2010
biina:

Why fall for these obsessed clowns? You don't owe them anything.

Anything Yoruba is like crack addiction, their day is not complete without their daily dose of Yoruba love fest and affection, it's their only pre occupation in life.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by biina: 4:19am On Feb 15, 2010
aloy-emeka:

Should we close our eyes on his sins because of his free education program?. Something he did with govt money and not his personal money for that matter. If it was Abiola you are praising like this, I wouldn't bother to complain. Abiola raised and educated  a generation with his money and not government money. That is someone who should remain evergreen in our hearts and not a mass murderer like Awolowo.
Are you kidding me? undecided
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by aloyemeka2: 4:27am On Feb 15, 2010
biina:

Are you kidding me? undecided

I am not kidding you. Abiola was the greatest philanthropist ever to come from Nigeria. Like it or hate it, it's arguable.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by mekusxxx: 4:28am On Feb 15, 2010
Babapupa finds himself with ease on Igbo threads and cries like a baby on Yoruba threads. I will rost y'all arses. Hypocrites
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by babapupa: 4:43am On Feb 15, 2010
mekusxxx:

I will rost y'all arses.

I call it showering Yoruba people with Love and affection. 

The fact is, a day without showering us with Love and affection is bad day for you, you have to always bow down and recognize your superiors, it's only natural.

Normally, people Ignore and never worry their skin about the people they they don't give a s.h@t about so we must be very important to your existence for you to always keep your blood boiling every second and everyday.

We are what you want to be, unfortunately for you, you ain't born with the swagger, it ain't part of you DNA. You really, can't do much but stay barking like a dog 24/7.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by mekusxxx: 4:46am On Feb 15, 2010
^^^^^
You really wish. What were you doing insulting people on the Gowon thread that had no bearing on Yoruba? Since you cannot stay without us, we have learnt to live with you accordingly.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by Onlytruth(m): 4:48am On Feb 15, 2010
babapupa:

I call it showering Yoruba people with Love and affection. 

The fact is, a day without showering us with Love and affection is bad day for you, you have to always bow down and recognize your superiors, it's only natural.

Normally, people Ignore and never worry their skin about the people they they don't give a s.h@t about so we must be very important to your existence for you to always keep your blood boiling every second and everyday.

We are what you want to be, unfortunately for you, you ain't born with the swagger, it ain't part of you DNA. You really, can't do much but stay barking like a dog 24/7.

Dirty swagger! Swagger in the middle of refuse dumps and gutters! Lagos is the dirtiest city in Africa and the 5th worst city in the world and you are here bragging about an idiotic swagger. Your folks will be busy throwing parties in the middle of shi't!
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by SEFAGO(m): 4:49am On Feb 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

Dirty swagger! Swagger in the middle of refuse dumps and gutters! Lagos is the dirtiest city in Africa and the 5th worst city in the world and you are here bragging about an idiotic swagger. Your folks will be busy throwing parties in the middle of shi't!

Thats because all your bloody igbo states are not in any rankings.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by Onlytruth(m): 4:50am On Feb 15, 2010
SEFAGO:

We better not be than be for the wrong reasons! We Igbo have won more honor for Nigeria than your folks can ever dream of!
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by mekusxxx: 4:51am On Feb 15, 2010
SEFAGO:

We'd rather remain rankless (like thousands of other cities in the world) than be ranked as piece of thrash. Lagos is trash, trash and more trash. Disgrace to Nigeria.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by biina: 4:54am On Feb 15, 2010
aloy-emeka:

I am not kidding you. Abiola was the greatest philanthropist ever to come from Nigeria. Like it or hate it, it's arguable.
When I think of philantropy, I prefer the likes of mobolaji bank-anthony, and not the chairman of a telecom company that robbed the country and its people, nor the chairman of the corrupt ruling NPN, the PDP of the second republic, nor do I think of someone who is reputed to have sponsored 2 or more miltary coups for his own personal gains, and most definitely not a pal of IBB. I do not believe in exploiting the masses so as to be philanthropic towards them.

As far as I am concerned, like Fela said, Abiola was a generous ITT!
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by SEFAGO(m): 4:57am On Feb 15, 2010
mekusxxx:

We'd rather remain rankless (like thousands of other cities in the world) than be ranked as piece of thrash. Lagos is thrash, thrash and thrash. Disgrace to Nigeria.

Thats a big fat lie. You know Lagos is considered the best city in Nigeria well maybe Abuja a bit better. If its crap, then every other city in Nigeria is crap hehe. Believe what you want but that is the truth.

Anyways all African cities are crap, we should be thinking of how to develop them, all these other stuff na story.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by mekusxxx: 4:59am On Feb 15, 2010
SEFAGO:

Thats a big fat lie. You know Lagos is considered the best city in Nigeria well maybe Abuja a bit better. If its crap, then every other city in Nigeria is crap hehe. Believe what you want but that is the truth.

Anyways all African cities are crap, we should be thinking of how to develop them, all these other stuff na story.

Make a survey of Nigerians who would like to live in Lagos and the outcome will surprise you. That place is hell on earth
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by mekusxxx: 5:00am On Feb 15, 2010
Biina, won't you apologise for lying tha Awo established UI and UniLag? grin grin grin
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by SEFAGO(m): 5:05am On Feb 15, 2010
mekusxxx:

Make a survey of Nigerians who would like to live in Lagos and the outcome will surprise you. That place is hell on earth

That doesn't make sense. Why do all your youths from alaigbo come to lagos despite the fact that it is no longer a federal capital? Moreover why do you like to make spurious statements?

I know you want to insult yoruba people which is your prerogative. But please you know lagos is one of the most important cities in Africa and so is under more scrutiny. You cannot compare it to small boys like enugu and anambra

Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by aloyemeka2: 5:07am On Feb 15, 2010
biina:

When I think of philantropy, I prefer the likes of mobolaji bank-anthony, and not the chairman of a telecom company that robbed the country and its people, nor the chairman of the corrupt ruling NPN, the PDP of the second republic, nor do I think of someone who is reputed to have sponsored 2 or more miltary coups for his own personal gains, and most definitely not a pal of IBB. I do not believe in exploiting the masses so as to be philanthropic towards them.

As far as I am concerned, like Fela said, Abiola was a generous ITT!

You've started making your wild allegations again. Can you tell me what Abiola stole from Nigeria and how he did it?. Shame on you if you cannot.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by aloyemeka2: 5:08am On Feb 15, 2010
SEFAGO:

Durban  and Pretoria South Africa plus Tunis, Tunisia are not crap. Pretoria is more beautiful than London. Quote me.
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by Onlytruth(m): 5:12am On Feb 15, 2010
SEFAGO:

That doesn't make sense. Why do all your youths from alaigbo come to lagos despite the fact that it is no longer a federal capital? Moreover why do you like to make spurious statements?

I know you want to insult yoruba people which is your prerogative. But please you know lagos is one of the most important cities in Africa and so is under more scrutiny. You cannot compare it to small boys like enugu and anambra

I know this is the Lagos y'all like to brag about.

Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by Onlytruth(m): 5:13am On Feb 15, 2010
^^^

And you'll even throw party inside that street. Talk of "swagger". Shakes head and walks away!
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by chic2pimp(m): 5:17am On Feb 15, 2010
aloy-emeka:

Durban and Pretoria South Africa plus Tunis, Tunisia are not crap. Pretoria is more beautiful than London. Quote me.

Buhahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. Where do you currently live if I may ask?
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by aloyemeka2: 5:18am On Feb 15, 2010
chic2pimp:

Buhahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. Where do you currently live if I may ask?

Ketu tongue tongue tongue
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by babapupa: 5:19am On Feb 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

lmao.

See what I mean? Why the tin dey pain you so much? Why so much bitterness and resentments?

Stop the fixation because you can never be us, we are your superiors and you can't do much but to dey jealousy and keep displaying bad bele.  

Shameless people, non of your underdeveloped rural villages and hamlets show up for radar sef, talk less any kind of recognition.

Btw, yes, you no get swagger. , lol
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by mekusxxx: 5:21am On Feb 15, 2010
I beg where is Ijebu Ode and Ibadan on the ranking? I am laughing in Yoruba language
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by chic2pimp(m): 5:22am On Feb 15, 2010
aloy-emeka:

Ketu tongue tongue tongue
No wonder tongue
I also don't think you've ever been to pretoria or have you? undecided
Forget the pretty picture y'all see on the net and go and sample the real pretoria for ya self wink
Re: All Of Awo's Legacies Destroyed By Us - Odumakin by biina: 5:23am On Feb 15, 2010
mekusxxx:

Biina, won't you apologise for lying tha Awo established UI and UniLag? grin grin grin
Why? was it not his party that was in power in the western region when Unilag was created and UI transitioned?
Of the 5 universities in Nigeria in 1962, 3 were in the west. do you think it was mere coincidence?
Awolowo and Zik ahead of the curve of the Ashby commission by already working on establishing OAU and Nsukka respectively. Awolowo sited a University in Ife knowing fully well that the FG would be inclined to site  a university sited in Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pfizer Evil Antics In Kano Exposed By Wikileaks / Rochas is on his own - Amajirionwu, Imo state PDP Publicity Secretary. / The beginning and end of ezenwor wike and rotimi ameachi.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.