Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation (20610 Views)

How Old Were You Jobless, Staying At Home And How Did You Make It? / How To Start A Presentation That Will Capture Your Audience / What Prominent Achievement Did You Make In 2016? Share With Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by insidifyguru: 2:55pm On Aug 16, 2017
Speaking in front of other people—even a small group—can be nerve-wracking. You feel anxious, terrified that you'll make a fool of yourself. While the butterflies may never go away completely, there are still some things you can do to help clear your head before your big moment.

1.Practice.

Naturally, you’ll want to rehearse your presentation multiple times. While it can be difficult for those with packed schedules to spare time for practice, it’s essential if you want to deliver a rousing presentation. If you really want to sound great, write out your speech rather than taking chances winging it.

Try to practice where you’ll be delivering your talk. Some acting strategists suggest rehearsing lines in various positions–standing up, sitting down, with arms open wide, on one leg, while sitting on the toilet, etc. (OK, that last one may be optional.) The more you mix up your position and setting, the more comfortable you’ll feel with your speech. Also try recording your presentation and playing it back to evaluate which areas need work. Listening to recordings of your past talks can clue you in to bad habits you may be unaware of, as well as inspiring the age-old question: “Is that what I really sound like?”

2.Transform Nervous Energy Into Enthusiasm.

It may sound strange, but I’ll often down an energy drink and blast hip-hop music in my earphones before presenting. Why? It pumps me up and helps me turn jitters into focused enthusiasm. Studies have shown that an enthusiastic speech can win out over an eloquent one, and since I’m not exactly the Winston Churchill of presenters, I make sure that I’m as enthusiastic and energetic as possible before going on stage. Of course, individuals respond differently to caffeine overload, so know your own body before guzzling those monster energy drinks.

3.Attend Other Speeches.

If you’re giving a talk as part of a larger series, try to attend some of the earlier talks by other presenters. This shows respect for your fellow presenters while also giving you a chance to feel out the audience. What’s the mood of the crowd? Are folks in the mood to laugh or are they a bit more stiff? Are the presentations more strategic or tactical in nature? Another speaker may also say something that you can play off of later in your own presentation.

4.Arrive Early.

It’s always best to allow yourself plenty of time to settle in before your talk. Extra time ensures you won’t be late (even if Google Maps shuts down) and gives you plenty of time to get adapted to your presentation space.

5.Adjust to Your Surroundings.

The more adjusted to your environment you are, the more comfortable you’ll feel. Make sure to spend some in the room where you will be delivering your presentation. If possible, practice with the microphone and lighting, make sure you understand the seating, and be aware of any distractions potentially posed by the venue (e.g., a noisy road outside).

6.Meet and Greet.

Do your best to chat with people before your presentation. Talking with audiences makes you seem more likeable and approachable. Ask event attendees questions and take in their responses. They may even give you some inspiration to weave into your talk.

7.Take Deep Breaths.

The go-to advice for jitters has truth to it. When we’re nervous, our muscles tighten–you may even catch yourself holding your breath. Instead, go ahead and take those deep breaths to get oxygen to your brain and relax your body.

8.Smile.

Smiling increases endorphins, replacing anxiety with calm and making you feel good about your presentation. Smiling also exhibits confidence and enthusiasm to the crowd. Just don’t overdo it–no one enjoys the maniacal clown look.

9.Work on Your Pauses.

When you’re nervous, it’s easy to speed up your speech and end up talking too fast, which in turn causes you to run out of breath, get more nervous, and panic! Ahh!

Don’t be afraid to slow down and use pauses in your speech. Pausing can be used to emphasize certain points and to help your talk feel more conversational. If you feel yourself losing control of your pacing, just take a nice pause and keep cool.

10.Drink Water.

Dry mouth is a common result of anxiety. Prevent cottonmouth blues by staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water before your talk (just don’t forget to hit the bathroom before starting). Keep a bottle of water at arm’s reach while presenting in case you get dry mouth while chatting up a storm. It also provides a solid object to hurl at potential hecklers. (That’ll show ‘em.)

Finally, when you’re on that podium trying to make a presentation, find some way to move around and remind yourself that everyone is weird—including the people watching you. It's usually an aspect of our humanity that we forget as we approach the podium, and instead we perceive ourselves speaking to perfect individuals that will criticize our every move. It's one of the reasons that picturing your audience naked is one of the most classic of tips. It makes them vulnerable, not you. However you choose to make that presentation, ensure you get your message out there with confidence.
Contact me through, contactus@insidify.com or @insidifyhq on twitter

lalasticlala
mynd44

https://discovery.insidify.com/10-ways-to-calm-your-nerves-before-you-make-a-presentation

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

22 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by stexsy(m): 2:57pm On Aug 16, 2017
On point..

I can't agree less..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by MhizzAJ(f): 3:25pm On Aug 16, 2017
Noted

2 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by Viking007(m): 7:28am On Aug 17, 2017
Not a fan, but weed also works. shocked lipsrsealed

8 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by incognita: 7:28am On Aug 17, 2017
Points totally on point .
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by Integrityfarms(m): 7:28am On Aug 17, 2017
Talk like a boss, assume that no one knows it better than you in that subject area at the moment.
Mirror rehearsals is great too.
It's great to be an orator.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 17, 2017
Simply know and like what you are going to say...everything will fall in place
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by docflint(m): 7:29am On Aug 17, 2017
nize points
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by austinbrown: 7:32am On Aug 17, 2017
Just take weed u no go look uche face simple

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by engrkaz(m): 7:33am On Aug 17, 2017
Great
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 17, 2017
i play subway surf grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by KendrickAyomide: 7:35am On Aug 17, 2017
pop a few pills and you are good to go, this one na tales by moonlight

2 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by Zaheertyler(m): 7:38am On Aug 17, 2017
God bless you
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by successking401(m): 7:41am On Aug 17, 2017
insidifyguru:
Speaking in front of other people—even a small group—can be nerve-wracking. You feel anxious, terrified that you'll make a fool of yourself. While the butterflies may never go away completely, there are still some things you can do to help clear your head before your big moment.

1.Practice.

Naturally, you’ll want to rehearse your presentation multiple times. While it can be difficult for those with packed schedules to spare time for practice, it’s essential if you want to deliver a rousing presentation. If you really want to sound great, write out your speech rather than taking chances winging it.

Try to practice where you’ll be delivering your talk. Some acting strategists suggest rehearsing lines in various positions–standing up, sitting down, with arms open wide, on one leg, while sitting on the toilet, etc. (OK, that last one may be optional.) The more you mix up your position and setting, the more comfortable you’ll feel with your speech. Also try recording your presentation and playing it back to evaluate which areas need work. Listening to recordings of your past talks can clue you in to bad habits you may be unaware of, as well as inspiring the age-old question: “Is that what I really sound like?”

It may sound strange, but I’ll often down an energy drink and blast hip-hop music in my earphones before presenting. Why? It pumps me up and helps me turn jitters into focused enthusiasm. Studies have shown that an enthusiastic speech can win out over an eloquent one, and since I’m not exactly the Winston Churchill of presenters, I make sure that I’m as enthusiastic and energetic as possible before going on stage. Of course, individuals respond differently to caffeine overload, so know your own body before guzzling those monster energy drinks.

3.Attend Other Speeches.

If you’re giving a talk as part of a larger series, try to attend some of the earlier talks by other presenters. This shows respect for your fellow presenters while also giving you a chance to feel out the audience. What’s the mood of the crowd? Are folks in the mood to laugh or are they a bit more stiff? Are the presentations more strategic or tactical in nature? Another speaker may also say something that you can play off of later in your own presentation.

4.Arrive Early.

It’s always best to allow yourself plenty of time to settle in before your talk. Extra time ensures you won’t be late (even if Google Maps shuts down) and gives you plenty of time to get adapted to your presentation space.

The more adjusted to your environment you are, the more comfortable you’ll feel. Make sure to spend some in the room where you will be delivering your presentation. If possible, practice with the microphone and lighting, make sure you understand the seating, and be aware of any distractions potentially posed by the venue (e.g., a noisy road outside).

6.Meet and Greet.

Do your best to chat with people before your presentation. Talking with audiences makes you seem more likeable and approachable. Ask event attendees questions and take in their responses. They may even give you some inspiration to weave into your talk.

7.Take Deep Breaths.

The go-to advice for jitters has truth to it. When we’re nervous, our muscles tighten–you may even catch yourself holding your breath. Instead, go ahead and take those deep breaths to get oxygen to your brain and relax your body.

8.Smile.

Smiling increases endorphins, replacing anxiety with calm and making you feel good about your presentation. Smiling also exhibits confidence and enthusiasm to the crowd. Just don’t overdo it–no one enjoys the maniacal clown look.

9.Work on Your Pauses.

When you’re nervous, it’s easy to speed up your speech and end up talking too fast, which in turn causes you to run out of breath, get more nervous, and panic! Ahh!

Don’t be afraid to slow down and use pauses in your speech. Pausing can be used to emphasize certain points and to help your talk feel more conversational. If you feel yourself losing control of your pacing, just take a nice pause and keep cool.

10.Drink Water.

Dry mouth is a common result of anxiety. Prevent cottonmouth blues by staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water before your talk (just don’t forget to hit the bathroom before starting). Keep a bottle of water at arm’s reach while presenting in case you get dry mouth while chatting up a storm. It also provides a solid object to hurl at potential hecklers. (That’ll show ‘em.)

Finally, when you’re on that podium trying to make a presentation, find some way to move around and remind yourself that everyone is weird—including the people watching you. It's usually an aspect of our humanity that we forget as we approach the podium, and instead we perceive ourselves speaking to perfect individuals that will criticize our every move. It's one of the reasons that picturing your audience naked is one of the most classic of tips. It makes them vulnerable, not you. However you choose to make that presentation, ensure you get your message out there with confidence.

lalasticlala
mynd44

https://discovery.insidify.com/10-ways-to-calm-your-nerves-before-you-make-a-presentation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by Desdola(m): 7:44am On Aug 17, 2017
A nice one. Public speech ain't easy
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by ibkkk(f): 7:45am On Aug 17, 2017
Thank you Thank you Thank you .
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by Zeze06(m): 7:46am On Aug 17, 2017
smiley

Pop some pills...but carefully....

A friend popped overdose of TM hours to project defense grin

He was sweating profusely, wasn't coordinated and couldn't answer a single question correctly... grin grin

SK is still the best option though...

3 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by kazyhm(m): 7:47am On Aug 17, 2017
insidifyguru:

1.Practice.

3.Attend Other Speeches.

4.Arrive Early.

6.Meet and Greet.

7.Take Deep Breaths.

8.Smile.

9.Work on Your Pauses.

10.Drink Water.

lalasticlala
mynd44

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by paymentvoucher: 7:51am On Aug 17, 2017
11. Take Little WEED

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by Peejoeee(m): 7:51am On Aug 17, 2017
Pray
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by DRPAIT123(m): 7:53am On Aug 17, 2017
Drinkwater ko,okazaki ni

3 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by omoadeyemi5: 8:02am On Aug 17, 2017
Nice one there OP. For me, Playing candy crush dampens tension.
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by sakalisis(m): 8:02am On Aug 17, 2017
cool
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by silentrock(m): 8:03am On Aug 17, 2017
look down on your audience. it works

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by peterobosa: 8:06am On Aug 17, 2017
How to Plan for the Future of your Business

If you have a business, or you are thinking of setting up one, there is one key thing you need to know: Business Succession Planning.

How you plan for your business to ensure continuity can very well be the defining factor in the kind of legacy you leave behind. As such, it is important that you seek advice from the right professionals.

Whatever your questions may be, Follow FBNQuest on Twitter and tweet your questions with the hashtag #AskTheExpert to get expert advice.
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by 1metre: 8:08am On Aug 17, 2017
KendrickAyomide:
pop a few pills and you are good to go, this one na tales by moonlight
which pills
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by jericco1(m): 8:09am On Aug 17, 2017
Not bad. Could be useful. I'll be doing one this year.
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by Gudiza(m): 8:29am On Aug 17, 2017
take a 'little' shekpe....

2 Likes

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by ungara17: 8:31am On Aug 17, 2017
Nice one but having a presentation in front of professors is a different thing entirely.
Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by mekleelex200(m): 8:38am On Aug 17, 2017
All these na long turanchi, just take two raps of sk you are good to go. The kind of energy you will put into it even the highest ranked person their will be afraid to ask you questions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation by lebete3000: 8:44am On Aug 17, 2017
insidifyguru:

1.Practice.

3.Attend Other Speeches.

4.Arrive Early.

6.Meet and Greet.

7.Take Deep Breaths.

8.Smile.

9.Work on Your Pauses.

10.Drink Water.

lalasticlala
mynd44

Just drink Ogbono soup and you'll be alright....

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Female Lawyers Should Be Allowed To Wear Trousers In Court / The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. / Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.