Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,894 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria (5949 Views)

Arms Deal: EFCC Traces Transfers To 11 Foreign Accounts In UK, US, Niger / EFCC Traces N17.5bn To Accounts Of Ex-naf Chiefs’ Wives / FG Traces Looted Funds To UK, Switzerland, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by newmaster(m): 5:01am On Feb 17, 2010
Haiti: BBC traces scam computer to Nigeria

By Agency Reporter, Published: Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010

Criminal gangs have defrauded people out of funds intended for Haiti earthquake victims by setting up bogus charities and seeking contributions online, according to a British Broadcasting Corporation investigation published on Tuesday.

Scam emails began appearing online within days of the January 12 earthquake, including some with logos for genuine charities. One for the British Red Cross was traced to a computer in Nigeria, the BBC reported.

Another group, calling itself the M E Foundation, emailed the BBC photos of Haiti projects it said it was involved with, but which turned out to be those of disaster relief activities from the 2005 Pakistan earthquake.

British charity, SOS Children, said the photos were cut and pasted from their website.

“The problem is it’s not just about exploiting a donor or a charity, really they’re exploiting the victims.

“They’re taking money people want to give to the victims of these natural disasters and they’re stealing it. So, I don’t feel that they’re robbing me; I feel that they’re taking from the mouths of children we’re trying to help and that is something which is very difficult not to get angry about,” the charity’s boss, Andrew Cates, said.

Another scam email was sent by a charity calling itself Help the World. When the BBC called the mobile number it gave, its reporter was told it focused on repairing schools.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201002172265018
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by Idowuogbo(f): 5:10am On Feb 17, 2010
trust 9jas quick tinkin anyhow 2 survive boys go chop but bin 4 ril now i wud say dis is gone to far reali bcus we meant 2 b helping not robbing the victims
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by trueword: 5:25am On Feb 17, 2010
why is BBC trying to single out nigerians. The U.S. media a long time ago told people to beware of scammers on the haiti stuff. It's not just nigerians, if the story is even true. Nigerians are always villified with the scammer stuff as if they are the only ones that do it. Aren't there americans, europeans that create these fake websites that look like the real company so that they can steal your information and go on shopping spree with you name and info? What about all the identity theft that happens?   They need to just stop trying to purposefully blame nigerian all the time
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by Idowuogbo(f): 5:31am On Feb 17, 2010
@ trueword preach on bruda its not only 9jas make dem aware ,let dem acknowledge the facts dat when people are duping the world no b only 9ja dey do am
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 7:10am On Feb 17, 2010
trueword:

why is BBC trying to single out nigerians. The U.S. media a long time ago told people to beware of scammers on the haiti stuff. It's not just nigerians, if the story is even true. Nigerians are always villified with the scammer stuff as if they are the only ones that do it. Aren't there americans, europeans that create these fake websites that look like the real company so that they can steal your information and go on shopping spree with you name and info? What about all the identity theft that happens?   They need to just stop trying to purposefully blame nigerian all the time

Perhaps it's only the Nigerian group they were able to trace effectively? I mean, how many scammers do you know with any sort of acumen in online security?

Colombians aren't the only ones in the drug trade, but they are now the poster child of drug traffickers. I'm pretty sure when you think organized crime, your mind goes to the italian mafia. So too is Nigeria now the poster child for 419 scams. heck, the name '419' comes from Nigeria!

If you people spent 1/10th the energy you spend on whining on actually going after these 419ers here in Nigeria, this problem will not exist.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by montelik(m): 8:13am On Feb 17, 2010
texazzpete:

Perhaps it's only the Nigerian group they were able to trace effectively? I mean, how many scammers do you know with any sort of acumen in online security?

Colombians aren't the only ones in the drug trade, but they are now the poster child of drug traffickers
. I'm pretty sure when you think organized crime, your mind goes to the italian mafia. So too is Nigeria now the poster child for 419 scams. heck, the name '419' comes from Nigeria!

If you people spent 1/10th the energy you spend on whining on actually going after these 419ers here in Nigeria, this problem will not exist.

Perfect point
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by Rooneyboy(m): 9:17am On Feb 17, 2010
This europeans wouldnt allow us to eat and drink, y is it that Nigeria is tagged along every evil did ?
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 9:27am On Feb 17, 2010
Topic
Na today. . . . . .

Rooneyboy:

This europeans wouldnt allow us to eat and drink, y is it that Nigeria is tagged along every evil did ?
Are you not ashamed of yourself
Eat and drink what doesnt belong to you
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by honeric01(m): 9:36am On Feb 17, 2010
newmaster:

Scam emails began appearing online within days of the January 12 earthquake, including some with logos for genuine charities. One for the British Red Cross was traced to a computer in Nigeria, the BBC reported.

So it's only one they were able to trace? and that one happens to be from Nigeria? well, the media can say whatever, that's their problem. the level of internet fraud in Nigeria has dropped significantly, but then the stereotyping hasn't. The western media has and will never be fair on any past erring African country in any negative department.

Since it's only the one from Nigeria they could "trace", let them keep tracing.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by kay9(m): 2:40pm On Feb 17, 2010
honeric01:

the level of internet fraud in Nigeria has dropped significantly. . . . .

Dropped significantly my hairy behind! When last were you in naija cyber-cafe?? Mr. Whiteman just wised-up to the gimmicks is all. And i'm not talking about Lagos; that place isn't conducive for yahoozee boys anymore (those still there now have their work-from-home arrangements - thanks to MTN, glo and Zain 3G dongles). If you wanna know how serious internet scams still is, travel to Owerri, Onitsha, Enugu, Abuja and P.H, and visit the cafes there.

Just scroll up and read texazpete's comment, it aptly summarizes why Nigerians are always mentioned whenever internet fraud is being discussed globally.

texazzpete:

Colombians aren't the only ones in the drug trade, but they are now the poster child of drug traffickers. I'm pretty sure when you think organized crime, your mind goes to the italian mafia. So too is Nigeria now the poster child for 419 scams. heck, the name '419' comes from Nigeria!

Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by honeric01(m): 3:05pm On Feb 17, 2010
kay9:

Dropped significantly my hairy behind! When last were you in naija cyber-cafe?? Mr. Whiteman just wised-up to the gimmicks is all. And i'm not talking about Lagos; that place isn't conducive for yahoozee boys anymore (those still there now have their work-from-home arrangements - thanks to MTN, glo and Zain 3G dongles). If you wanna know how serious internet scams still is, travel to Owerri, Onitsha, Enugu, Abuja and P.H, and visit the cafes there.

Just scroll up and read texazpete's comment, it aptly summarizes why Nigerians are always mentioned whenever internet fraud is being discussed globally.

Mr man, if you think it hasn't dropped, then come up with a backup or can't you backup your claim? my claim is the recent cybercrime rankings that was released and it showed on it that Nigeria is making significant progress in fighting cybercrime.
It's not just about going to the cafes, it's about getting something out of the cafes, that's where you are mixing it up.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by kay9(m): 4:21pm On Feb 17, 2010
@honeric01: Your claim is the recent cybercrime rankings; fair enough (even though you didn't say WHO did these rankings). My claim, however, is the evidence of MY OWN EYES! I happen to live in Port Harcourt; i visit Owerri almost every 2weeks; my parents stay in Onitsha; i was in Enugu about 2 months ago and one of my close collegues also has folks there (you may notice that i didn't mention any other town i haven't really been to). So please don't try to convince me of things i actually KNOW otherwise about.

I said earlier that the likely reason for a SEEMING reduction naija scams is cos white folks have wised-up; i still stand by it, cos the population of active maga guys in naija hasn't reduced - they sure as hell still fill up cybercafes.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by snowdrops(m): 4:32pm On Feb 17, 2010
The shame of a country
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by honeric01(m): 4:52pm On Feb 17, 2010
kay9:

@honeric01: Your claim is the recent cybercrime rankings; fair enough (even though you didn't say WHO did these rankings). My claim, however,  is the evidence of MY OWN EYES! I happen to live in Port Harcourt; i visit Owerri almost every 2weeks; my parents stay in Onitsha; i was in Enugu about 2 months ago and one of my close collegues also has folks there (you may notice that i didn't mention any other town i haven't really been to). So please don't try to convince me of things i actually KNOW otherwise about.

I said earlier that the likely reason for a SEEMING reduction naija scams is cos white folks have wised-up; i still stand by it, cos the population of active maga guys in naija hasn't reduced - they sure as hell still fill up cybercafes.

now, let's make a small research, if white folks have wisen up, what then is propelling the increase of Nigerians to the cyber world to commit crime? in a normal circumstance, you only continue doing what you are doing if it's paying you, but since the white folks aren't as gullible as before, why then is the number of Nigerian scammers not reducing? can you answer this?

secondly, you are basing your claim on the fact that you see alot of people in cafes doing fraud in PH, Owerri and Onitsha, now tell me, how many people in these places know how to use the internet except the students there? Lagos internet users alone should beat these 3 cities put together. how many fraudsters have you caught red-handed defrauding whites in these 3 cities you claimed you have been to?

Lastly, you are not using any official ranking to ascertain your claim, yet you want me to believe you? how many eyes do you have? and how many cafes have you been to? and do you sleep in these cafes watching and monitoring everyone that comes to browse the internet?
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by Kx: 5:01pm On Feb 17, 2010
Quick thinking in the "wrong" direction.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by honeric01(m): 5:17pm On Feb 17, 2010
And what's that suppose to mean?
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by asha80(m): 5:18pm On Feb 17, 2010
honeric01:

now, let's make a small research, if white folks have wisen up, what then is propelling the increase of Nigerians to the cyber world to commit crime? in a normal circumstance, you only continue doing what you are doing if it's paying you, but since the white folks aren't as gullible as before, why then is the number of Nigerian scammers not reducing? can you answer this?

secondly, you are basing your claim on the fact that you see alot of people in cafes doing fraud in PH, Owerri and Onitsha, now tell me, how many people in these places know how to use the internet except the students there? Lagos internet users alone should beat these 3 cities put together. how many fraudsters have you caught red-handed defrauding whites in these 3 cities you claimed you have been to?

Lastly, you are not using any official ranking to ascertain your claim, yet you want me to believe you? how many eyes do you have? and how many cafes have you been to? and do you sleep in these cafes watching and monitoring everyone that comes to browse the internet?

You must be having a laugh grin .Only students in these towns know how to use the Internet You think other people are computer illiterate .U really need ttovisit these towns before you make judgement.Also kay9 is right is his assertions.Most guys that thrived in lagos that use to use the cafes there relocated to the east (especially those that are of eastern origins) because the heat in lagos was getting much.

Also in the same manner some guys also relocated to places like ibadan,ife and ijebu ode
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by ElRazur: 5:26pm On Feb 17, 2010
texazzpete:

Well said.

I owe you a beer when am in Yankee later on this year.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by honeric01(m): 5:39pm On Feb 17, 2010
asha 80:

You must be having a laugh grin .Only students in these towns know how to use the Internet You think other people are computer illiterate .U really need ttovisit these towns before you make judgement.Also kay9 is right is his assertions.Most guys that thrived in lagos that use to use the cafes there relocated to the east (especially those that are of eastern origins) because the heat in lagos was getting much.

Also in the same manner some guys also relocated to places like ibadan,ife and ijebu ode

that's not what i meant, what i was trying to say is that [b]most [/b]of the people using the internet in these places are students. does it mean everyone that goes to the net is to commit fraud?

now, are you saying the number of fraud coming out of Nigeria hasn't reduced?, Kay9 said it hasn't reduced and that it has increased but i said otherwise because i know (with fact) that it has reduced.

maybe you should answer the question for him, since the number of gullible white people has reduced due to them wising up, how then is it possible that more Nigerians are going into the same cyber crime that's not as flourishing as before?
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by Ijeleigbo(m): 5:49pm On Feb 17, 2010
Cybercrime is a business on his own that will last forever as far as the internet exists and Nigeria has been fast in gaining a reputation in the field. The whites are the biggest fools(first class mugus) in the world. Upon the wide spread news of scam mails, most of them out of greed foolishly believe these scams and pay. And to all those who are saying shame to Nigeria you are all RETARDS. What have your country did to curb unemployment, corruption and IT illiteracy? why won't young boys go into yahoo when the system is Zap.e.d up? man must survive! life goes on!
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by asha80(m): 5:51pm On Feb 17, 2010
honeric01:

that's not what i meant, what i was trying to say is that [b]most [/b]of the people using the internet in these places are students. does it mean everyone that goes to the net is to commit fraud?

now, are you saying the number of fraud coming out of Nigeria hasn't reduced?, Kay9 said it hasn't reduced and that it has increased but i said otherwise because i know (with fact) that it has reduced.

maybe you should answer the question for him, since the number of gullible white people has reduced due to them wising up, how then is it possible that more Nigerians are going into the same cyber crime that's not as flourishing as before?

You really have to ask anyone that you know that just came to lagos after sometime of staying in owerri(at least this place i know of very well being my town) if the cafe's there are not always populated by maga seekers.Quite good lot of those guys are not students but career fraudstars even though some of them just get chicken change from their activities.

What is the reality howevr is that the rate of 'confirmation ' or maga dropping has actually reduced but it still has not yet dettered these guys from trying there luck.Also want to chip in here that a lot of youths from that end especially in owerri which i know quite well are computer literate even some guys that just arrived from villages.Na just learning how to use the system
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by honeric01(m): 6:14pm On Feb 17, 2010
asha 80:

You really have to ask anyone that you know that just came to lagos after sometime of staying in owerri(at least this place i know of very well being my town) if the cafe's there are not always populated by maga seekers.Quite good lot of those guys are not students but career fraudstars even though some of them just get chicken change from their activities.

What is the reality howevr is that the rate of 'confirmation ' or maga dropping has actually reduced but it still has not yet dettered these guys from trying there luck.Also want to chip in here that a lot of youths from that end especially in owerri which i know quite well are computer literate even some guys that just arrived from villages.Na just learning how to use the system

ok, even with all these stuffs you are talking about, are you saying the number of people wasting their precious future and time on the internet hasn't reduced? remember that you need money to stay on the internet, if returns are not coming in on time or at all, how then do you expect these same people that went into fraud due to poverty put up with the internet bills?

definitely, it has reduced no matter how you want to look at it, others are finding legal alternates to internet fraud, alot are doing legitimate business online, though you see them in the cafes, it doesn't mean they are all in the cafes to commit cyber crimes. we have numerous online businesses that require little or no capital at all, so when accepting stereotyping, you should also consider that things don't stay the same forever.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by gidson12(m): 10:21pm On Feb 17, 2010
o boy men don hammer ooo!
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 10:31pm On Feb 17, 2010
Nigeria will definitely be at the forefront of fraud and corruption. . . . at this rate!!!
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by ElRazur: 10:38pm On Feb 17, 2010
MrCrackles:

Nigeria will definitely be at the forefront of fraud and corruption. . . . at this rate!!!

I thought we won the Gold medal several times that we are now official bearer of those titles? In fact, Nigeria comes up in the dictionary when you look up the definition of those words. grin
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 10:43pm On Feb 17, 2010
ElRazur:

I thought we won the Gold medal several times that we are now official bearer of those titles? In fact, Nigeria comes up in the dictionary when you look up the definition of those words. grin
It is sickening!!! grin
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by sulad82i(m): 3:11am On Feb 18, 2010
Oyinbo man self deh do am. No be only 9ja pple.
Whenever they do the same in 9ja they will call it politics, and some other big names. Aren't they rubbing us in the day light with the money that's suppose to be for 9ja pple here?
I'm not supporting the stupid fraud act, just that they do the same and you'll never read about it in the news or hear it mention cos they'll keep it on the low.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by kay9(m): 9:09am On Feb 18, 2010
asha 80:

Thanks jare. I was beginning to think i'm the only NLer who's aware of these things.

@honeric01: dude, i think you need to go and see for yourself. Do you live Nigeria? If yes (and hopefully a major city), then just go out on a friday evening and peek into 3 or 4 cybercafes, it shouldn't take you more than an hour or two. The fact that these guys aren't so successful anymore doesn't mean that they aren't still around; it's just like saying that if armed robbers aren't successful in their robberies, then we can assume that armed robbery has been erased -- what do you think will happen the moment someone drops their guard??

I think we've mixed soup enough on this topic; i'm signing off.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by honeric01(m): 9:17am On Feb 18, 2010
@kay9

Nobody told you fraud has been erased from Nigeria, i said it has reduced, stop quoting me wrongly. i asked you some questions which you are yet to answer, instead of answering, you are trying to ignore them.

Has fraud reduced in Nigeria? yes or no? if no, then what are you basing your answer on?

Does it mean everyone you see go to the cyber cafe are there to perpetrate fraud? yes or no? if yes, then let us know what and why you chose yes.

Thanks
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by princekevo(m): 9:21am On Feb 18, 2010
Heartless Id.iots, that God will soon kill behind their computers.
The misery of others has turned to their opportunities.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by MsTom(f): 2:53pm On Feb 18, 2010
[quote

[quote][/quote]

Abi o. And to think the scam started in america on the day people started donating to haiti.
Re: Haiti: BBC Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by utotomi50(m): 3:10pm On Feb 18, 2010
Yeah, these things are all over the place. Might be hard to tell the legitimate ones from the fake ones.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aregbesola Inaugurates N125m Power Station / My Take On Impounded Russian Plane In Kano / How 2019 Presidential Election Will Be Won And Lost - Analyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.