Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,898 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! (52356 Views)

The Secrets Of Mtn Night Plan / My Review Of The Tecno Phantom 6+ Nougat Update / 9mobile New Latest List Of Data Plans Subscription Codes & Prices 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by chairman010: 7:09pm On Aug 21, 2017
finally people are now realising what Mtn is
I am very happy for that, I have not recharged my Mtn line for the last five months and will never recharge it again not to think of subscribing for whatever data plan from them.
bros op, welcome to the league of those that Mtn ripped off, you are not alone, we are in millions

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by hablink: 7:09pm On Aug 21, 2017
jidemoh:
9Mobile isn't any better. Instagram, Youtube, Facebook and Twitter are no go areas if you want ur data to last like Mungo Park.
One customer care agent told me the apps developers tweaked them to gulp more data. As if I believe that!!
they are huge data centric, trust me. They gulp up data via pipe. They are not modded for average data users like us.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ysekina(f): 7:11pm On Aug 21, 2017
my dear op is all d networks that are stealing now oh, sometimes I wish there was a way to do without them....
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by itsmeurLady(f): 7:12pm On Aug 21, 2017
grin grin the OP got me laffin all through... I tot I was the only one facing this challenge
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by stanjohn57: 7:12pm On Aug 21, 2017
Please how can I disable auto renewal of MTN data plan?
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ponti93(m): 7:12pm On Aug 21, 2017
Gbengulo54:
pls hw can i download dis modbro app pls
just google it modbro andriod app
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ponti93(m): 7:13pm On Aug 21, 2017
stanjohn57:
Please how can I disable auto renewal of MTN data plan?
text no106 to 131... If ur data plan code is nt 106 change it to the code
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by MrCork: 7:13pm On Aug 21, 2017
johnstar:

at ur age sense nor dey ur head

men dey reason better thing na woman matter dey ur head

ewu

oh i juz see ur mumu username nw

ride on

..my niggggga..if u can't find woman..pay for one..and if u don't have job
.sell petrol!!(no oofeense)
undecided

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by frankkydee(m): 7:15pm On Aug 21, 2017
You are right OP,i subscrided #1000 and they gave me 1gb and 500mb as bonus. To my greatest surprise,within a week when i checked my data balance,i couldn't believe my eye. I saw 456mb remaining without updating my apps and without watching any video online. I can't subscribe to MTN again bros.

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ModusOperandi(f): 7:15pm On Aug 21, 2017
rottennaija:

I think you may have the same problem the Op has. I recommend you check my response to him here.
ehn okay. these resellers, can you give me their contact details?
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by aboyaji(m): 7:15pm On Aug 21, 2017
Ksslib:
This is my honest review of Mtn data plans. I added an 's' because I have used almost all what they have to offer in terms of data across a very very long period of time but for the sake of this review, we are going to assume you want to want to subscribe to their popular 1.5gig monthly plan or like I suspect, already subscribed to it. Pls keep in mind that everything in this review applies to ALL their data plans. The only difference being price and amount of data, that's all.

Price:
For 1000naira, you'll be given 1,500 kilobytes that look like megabytes to the untrained eye, but brethrens, let ye not be deceived. If you're the type that likes to make something sound bigger than it actually is, you can call It 1.5gig. The plan lasts a month (in theory) and Mtn will allow you roll-over any un-used data if you're the type of person that can manage one cup of rice for 2months.

At first, 1.5gig for 1000naira might seem kinda fair from Mtn who, not too long ago, sold 10mb for the same amount it'll take to cater for a child who wants to study Medicine abroad. However, you'll begin to slowly chew back your words- one by one - the moment you begin to understand what happens behind the scenes. This plan will last a week with decent browsing. Yea, just decent browsing. Two weeks, if your level of stingyness is out of this world.

Verdict: This plan is a RIP-OFF for the price(as you'll later find out in this review). It is an overpriced scam. 1000naira can buy you 5 spaghetti. One thousand naira can get you a rubber of white garri if you can beg. My roommate sold his working standing for 1k. With 1k, you can get a used heart in cotonou that will pump atleast 3 cups of blood before failure. Should I continue?

Deduction rate:
The deduction formula Mtn uses to deduct data remains a mystery even to engineering students like myself. I have observed, observed, observed and carefully calculated, yet all my answers keep pointing towards one direction - the deduction is spontaneous. That is, the computer program(i like to call it "robot" ) assigned to carry out this task deducts data base on its mood at your time of browsing. 1mb for each Google page viewed(if Oga robot is in a good mood) or 200mb for an image of hushpuppi(if Oga just woke up from sleep).

I see no reason why how data is deducted should fluctuate. This is robbery, of the highest order. In Today's world where Internet data is beginning to carry the same wieght as food given how many business and lives depend on it, it is heartless, wicked & criminal to leave your customers at the mercy of melancholic robot who will deduct 300mb just because it didn't sleep well last night.

Verdict: Are you a magician? Are you fascinated with magic? Do you like sseing things dissappear? Things like animals, humans and of course, data? Mtn data plan is for you.

Webpages:
You ll think 1.5 gigabytes will be more than enough to surf the web since most of the Webpages you visit are kind of plain & light( like Nairaland ) and have little or no moving content unlike busy sites like skysports and xvideos where something is always guaranteed to be moving at any time of the day.

But as it turns out, viewing a simple, traditional Webpage sometimes takes as much as it would a YouTube video. Sometimes, more than. Other times, lesser than. But still not less enough to make you agree it's fair enough. I'll browse Nairaland sometimes and log out after 5-10mins and 100mb will be deducted. Sometimes, 60mb. Sometimes 80mb.

Offline Mode:
I think this is the most annoying part of being subscribed to any of Mtn's stupid data plan - they charge you for doing nothing. Absolutely, fffucking nothing. Between the hours of 12am and 2pm today, the deduced 80mb despite data connection being off. This has become a constant occurrence and I've learnt to channel energy I'll waste on complaining to customer care(as usual) to better use.

Verdict: With background data set on permanent restriction, data switched off, I wonder what steals data. Wait!! maybe, just maybe, my home button needs mb to take me from gallery to home screen.

Apps.

Twitter:

Twitter could - to a certain degree - qualify as a webpage since most of the activity there is text-based, save for funny memes and videos (which is optional to watch by the way), but the amount of data that constantly gets deducted for very little activity on this app is nothing to smile about.

I was charged an outrageous chunck of data few days ago by Oga robot for twitter activity that didn't last upto 7mins. Maybe it was because the joke I tweeted didn't get any retweets.

Facebook:
This one is for old people who don't know something like instagram exists. For stalking Amaka(your classmate) who refused to say yes to you in Nursery 2 has gotten pregnant for her street boy yet. Or for checking if the class olodo has managed to succeed in Life.... so I don't even bother with this app. However, considering it deals with lots of images and videos, I expect Mtn to use this as another avenue to make their already overweight bank account obese.

Instagram:
.... *ok calm down. ksslib breathe.. breatheeee**

I spent months in denial but I've finally accepted the bitter truth that Instagram is only for the rich. Atleast that's what Mtn wants me to believe. Watching funny videos, short comedy skits and smiling at images of Buhari's head swapped with various household items is only for the rich.

So expertly have Mtn perfected the art of deception and stealing that they would not deduct a questionable amount of data after my first, second, third and maybe fourth usage of Instagram after a fresh subscription. I'll just use Instagram at surface level (few videos, images) then log out and check my data balance, then smile at what I see.

This trick - as i later painfully discovered - is Mtn just trying to gain my trust, make me feel at home before allowing me to foolishly decide it's time to carelessly dive deeper into the unsteady, dangerous waters of Instagram videos.

If you're foolish enough like me to trust Mtn, the look on your face after checking your remaining data balance will quickly help you forget about that funny video you just saw on kraks TV. Abi you wan compare the effect of a message like "Dear customer, you have 66mb left of your current data bundle" to one video where all the people being interviewed on the street kept swearing they will not attend anybody's funeral that doesn't attend theirs. Lol

Verdict: Mtn says Instagram is not for poor people like me. We'll see what Etisalat, Airtel and others have to say.... minus Glo abeg. What's the use of having 100gig when I am only allowed to legally use 10mb due to poor service. Glo with pride indeed.

YouTube:
This is easily my favourite platform(clolsey followed by instagram) but it's a forbidden area for obvious reasons. YouTube is like stepping into the badlands.

Night plan is the only alternative here. Which means I am always awake at night browsing videos when my mates are in covoon hustling. And I also feel not getting enough sleep is too much a price to pay for thrills of YouTube but I am also not quick to forget I am Nigerian afterall, suffer is suppose to be my middle name. Therefore, Night plan it is.

Verdict: Know this: Using YouTube on Mtn's hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or whatever plan is tantamount to opening the flood gates of hell. You and your data will be flooded with fire and brimstone. For safety reasons, i dont even have the youtube app installed on my phone anymore because I might decide to want to watch a youtube video and later change my mind, but Oga robot will go ahead and deduct 300mb because apparently, the first law of data deduction states that "Habouring the thought of watching a YouTube video in your mind is the same as watching it".

Final verdict:
Mtn data plan is a big scam that anybody who knows the value of money - especially in this biting recession- should never subscribe to. This will be my last subscription. Even if all the angels of heaven descend and vouch for Mtn, I will never trust them. It's almost unbelievable that these corrupt piece of shameless thieves get away with this fuckery and daylight robbery...but wait! I almost forgot we are still in Nigeria.

The uncertainty, terror and suspense that comes with checking my remaining data balance every single f*cuking time - whether I surf the net or not - is too much for my young body to cope with. I am just 24 for God sake. I cannot be paying you one thousand naira almost every 4- 5days to give me high blood pressure and stroke.

Will I recommend this plan or any Mtn data plan?:
Yes, I will absolutely recommend this plan to anybody who will ask this question after reading everything.

I read every sentence you wrote up there. This is the funniest thread ever seen this year 2017
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Denko2721987(m): 7:15pm On Aug 21, 2017
iliyande:
After careful analysis.. I advise people to close eye buy E5573s-606s and use glo 4g data. Shikena

abeg where i fit buy the universal version of this 4G mifi modem so that i fit use am for all networks?
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by rottennaija(m): 7:16pm On Aug 21, 2017
ModusOperandi:
ehn okay. these resellers, can you give me their contact details?

Let me send you a link. You just register and follow the instructions. I have been using them for some times now and it works.

Try

https://www.mobilenig.com
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ebenholer(m): 7:17pm On Aug 21, 2017
One thing that baffles me is the fact that our government is aware of the dubious acts of MTN for so long but fail to do the needful. I can't begin to recount how many times I had fallen a victim of these dubious act. God will surely fight for us one day in this nation.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by sircrabo: 7:18pm On Aug 21, 2017
MTN dta plan works well with Blackberry. Android drinks data like water. I use a bold 5, I use hotspot with my lappy and it lasts up to 3 weeks

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by 9jatatafo(m): 7:19pm On Aug 21, 2017
All the networks are thieving data zappers! Glo so slow and you can't use it until it expires!
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by jaksmillioniar: 7:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
Nma27:
The op lives in ur neighborhood??
airtel is gud
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by internetrender: 7:24pm On Aug 21, 2017
MTN is busted!
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ojotobiloba1: 7:25pm On Aug 21, 2017
Oxytocin:

MTN is pure scam, I stopped using it for browsing since they stopped their double data plan,where I get 3gb instead of 1.5gb for 1k.1.5gb can't even last me for more than 2 weeks ,if I'm seriously managing the data undecided.

I think airtel is the best now, I get 4.2gb for 1k and an extra 200mb every month;then I use Glo for downloading large files.
Airtel 4.2gb for 1k...wats d code?
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by chubbyman(m): 7:29pm On Aug 21, 2017
Aminu212:
The reason why your data is been zapped is because of your proxy server and proxy port in your access point settings(Due to my own experience)

Talk of cheap data, mtn is also trying in their night plan(N25=500mb).
Ok what proxy server and proxy port do you suggest won't be drinking data like kunnu
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ModusOperandi(f): 7:29pm On Aug 21, 2017
rottennaija:

Let me send you a link. You just register and follow the instructions. I have been using them for some times now and it works.

Try

https://www.mobilenig.com
registered. merci!
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Healer007: 7:33pm On Aug 21, 2017
shocked grin
Why don't u use data counting apps to compare with this
I don't actually believe MTN intentionally sucks data... You know android phones could have background apps
As for deducting data when your data connection is off... No comments lipsrsealed
Although I have faced an issue like this where I saw 150MB finish before 30mins of just browsing of web pages (light web page for that matter) but since I was using PC, I just assumed twaz a background app(s)
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 21, 2017
Aminu212:
The reason why your data is been zapped is because of your proxy server and proxy port in your access point settings(Due to my own experience)

Talk of cheap data, mtn is also trying in their night plan(N25=500mb).
how can I do Dis sub
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 21, 2017
ojotobiloba1:

Airtel 4.2gb for 1k...wats d code?
tell us how to go Abut that
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by good4all40: 7:43pm On Aug 21, 2017
I will strongly advice the Op to take 5 days vacation to Cotonou he will understand the practical robbery of broad day light. MTN in Nigeria is like Evans compare to Oyenusi in robbery. I am presently in an hotel in Cotonou their internet data here is madly expensive and MTN here is the king of robbers
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by warlord24(m): 7:44pm On Aug 21, 2017
i sell data 2k for 5gb 3k for 10gb
etisalat
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by iliyande(m): 7:46pm On Aug 21, 2017
Denko2721987:

abeg where i fit buy the universal version of this 4G mifi modem so that i fit use am for all networks?

I bought fairly used and unlocked it, or used if you can be patient enough AliExpress should be your best option bro
Here:

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by allienbug(m): 7:48pm On Aug 21, 2017
Guy u wicked cry
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 21, 2017
i think is only me, imagine home page of nairaland with text omly, no image 200kb, it even worst with crome, I only surf naija site which are mostly light page, 30mb for how many page? I restrict background data even for whatsapp, d way dey suck data is cruel for did reccesion, my 1gig only last for 2weeks without YouTube, Instagram( I Neva use it, hate it dat app)
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Oyenike01(f): 7:55pm On Aug 21, 2017
op is very correct, Mtn are thieves,I have deleted Instagram and Facebook on my phone,from July 24 till today(e never enter 1month)I'm on my 4th 1.5gig renewal,useless people, e come be like say them jazz me ni,and no be their fault,Glo over bad for my area,I go just dhe chill for IG,small time i go just see your data is remaining 500mb, my mind go just cut,the remaining night plan wey them dhe give sef nah scam....

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 21, 2017
This is the funniest and ridiculous thread I've ever seen.. If I was not into this field, I'll probably feel the OP is roght.. For someone who dont understand that certain apps auto connects, keep-alive and co even when you do nothing, I don't think op is qualified to write abt data utilization.

Nigerian teenagers download apps they don't need or keep apps on their phone they don't intend to use and blame the telcos for data used up by their apps. Images are in different sizes, pixels, dimension etc, they of course zap data based on that.

Well, the comments align with the op, so be it.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Lonergem: 8:01pm On Aug 21, 2017
Can Someone Summarize Dis!!! undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Did You React When You Noticed That You Can't Access Facebook, Whatsapp? / Glo New Data Plans For Mobile Phones And Tablets / Econet And Mtn Which One First Enter Nigeria ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.