Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! (52319 Views)

The Secrets Of Mtn Night Plan / My Review Of The Tecno Phantom 6+ Nougat Update / 9mobile New Latest List Of Data Plans Subscription Codes & Prices 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by oluwadubem: 1:42am On Aug 19, 2017
menstrualpad:

Try Airtel

I used both,eti,airtel,mtn,i even have glo but bcuz of the slow network is not in my 1st eleven....I buy 5gb last month,bcuz of hw I used the data,download,stream and I still have 1gb+,i have decided that the 1gb+ will last till 20th next month with a fair usage...

#peace#
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by DrayZee: 4:19am On Aug 19, 2017
Rorachy:
I'm thinking of buying a glo sim, I hope its worth my #300.
Trust me Airtel is the best in Nigeria at the moment.
Except maybe Glo is fast in your area.

4 Likes

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by DrayZee: 4:24am On Aug 19, 2017
Ksslib:

Airtel is even worse? embarassed

Then i have nowhere to run to.
Move to Airtel dude. Forget what that girl said.
Airtel doesn't zap (to me sha). And you'll have peace of mind.
And the truth is that nothing can be worse than Mtn. They just keep getting people angry.

5 Likes

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Nobody: 7:03am On Aug 19, 2017
Airtel is a little good atleast I can still enjoy 1500 data plan for 3gb which lasts for upto 3week for me.

3 Likes

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Ennyholar: 7:06am On Aug 19, 2017
MTN has been serving me on my Camon CX
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by tbabs10166(m): 8:41am On Aug 19, 2017
fidalgo19:
Airtel is a little good atleast I can still enjoy 1500 data plan for 3gb which lasts for upto 3week for me.
pls how do u subscribe for the 3gb
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 19, 2017
tbabs10166:
pls how do u subscribe for the 3gb

*440*16#
That"s blackberry plan for all devices at 1500
But its 1000 if you only want to use for blackberry phones
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Aminu212: 1:40pm On Aug 19, 2017
Segadem:
pls can u explan better
What?
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Oxytocin(m): 2:40pm On Aug 19, 2017
MTN is pure scam, I stopped using it for browsing since they stopped their double data plan,where I get 3gb instead of 1.5gb for 1k.1.5gb can't even last me for more than 2 weeks ,if I'm seriously managing the data undecided.

I think airtel is the best now, I get 4.2gb for 1k and an extra 200mb every month;then I use Glo for downloading large files.

3 Likes

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by shyshally(f): 4:16pm On Aug 19, 2017
I don't know why people complain about glo network so much. Last year they introduced a new sim for data. Sold it to us in our university for 500 and I can testify that it's great. One time like that we were trying to watch a live video in church but non of the networks was behaving. I had to on my Hotspot for them before we could watch it with very little buffering.
So I'll advise if you're considering moving to glo network, then buy either the data sim or the 4g sim that can work in a 3g phone.

3 Likes

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 21, 2017
DUMBASS
MrCork:

^^^kaiiii see booooobsi...ok pliss can I mate wit u quick? cheesy
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by AdeOluwaTomiwa(m): 4:05pm On Aug 21, 2017
Lalasticlala grin see this
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Glory12345(f): 5:10pm On Aug 21, 2017
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeew, the mtn data plan is rubbsih jare how can they just be removing data anyhow on my p51?
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Glory12345(f): 5:11pm On Aug 21, 2017
Like you don't want to see the way i buy data on my P51 everytime like nonsense.
AdeOluwaTomiwa:
Lalasticlala grin see this
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Oscarpraise(m): 5:12pm On Aug 21, 2017
Loool, is Mtn this bad? I have been using Glo in my itel P51 and was at times complaining. All this data network selfs, am tired
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Glory12345(f): 5:14pm On Aug 21, 2017
Really maybe i should just to glo too coz i also use iTEL p51
Oscarpraise:
Loool, is Mtn this bad? I have been using Glo in my itel P51 and was at times complaining. All this data network selfs, am tired
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Glory12345(f): 5:16pm On Aug 21, 2017
scam big time ooooo as in i just tire for them coz my p51 dey tire me sef but i like the phone so i no fit get tired. sad
Oxytocin:

MTN is pure scam, I stopped using it for browsing since they stopped their double data plan,where I get 3gb instead of 1.5gb for 1k.1.5gb can't even last me for more than 2 weeks ,if I'm seriously managing the data undecided.

I think airtel is the best now, I get 4.2gb for 1k and an extra 200mb every month;then I use Glo for downloading large files.
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ateamblezing(f): 6:07pm On Aug 21, 2017
RobinHez:
From the diary of a frustrated mtn user..
U scan my mind?
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by noscarn91(m): 6:08pm On Aug 21, 2017
Ksslib:
This is my honest review of Mtn data plans. I added an 's' because I have used almost all what they have to offer in terms of data across a very very long period of time but for the sake of this review, we are going to assume you want to want to subscribe to their popular 1.5gig monthly plan or like I suspect, already subscribed to it. Pls keep in mind that everything in this review applies to ALL their data plans. The only difference being price and amount of data, that's all.

Price:
For 1000naira, you'll be given 1,500 kilobytes that look like megabytes to the untrained eye, but brethrens, let ye not be deceived. If you're the type that likes to make something sound bigger than it actually is, you can call It 1.5gig. The plan lasts a month (in theory) and Mtn will allow you roll-over any un-used data if you're the type of person that can manage one cup of rice for 2months.

At first, 1.5gig for 1000naira might seem kinda fair from Mtn who, not too long ago, sold 10mb for the same amount it'll take to cater for a child who wants to study Medicine abroad. However, you'll begin to slowly chew back your words- one by one - the moment you begin to understand what happens behind the scenes. This plan will last a week with decent browsing. Yea, just decent browsing. Two weeks, if your level of stingyness is out of this world.

Verdict: This plan is a RIP-OFF for the price(as you'll later find out in this review). It is an overpriced scam. 1000naira can buy you 5 spaghetti. One thousand naira can get you a rubber of white garri if you can beg. My roommate sold his working standing for 1k. With 1k, you can get a used heart in cotonou that will pump atleast 3 cups of blood before failure. Should I continue?

Deduction rate:
The deduction formula Mtn uses to deduct data remains a mystery even to engineering students like myself. I have observed, observed, observed and carefully calculated, yet all my answers keep pointing towards one direction - the deduction is spontaneous. That is, the computer program(i like to call it "robot" ) assigned to carry out this task deducts data base on its mood at your time of browsing. 1mb for each Google page viewed(if Oga robot is in a good mood) or 200mb for an image of hushpuppi(if Oga just woke up from sleep).

I see no reason why how data is deducted should fluctuate. This is robbery, of the highest order. In Today's world where Internet data is beginning to carry the same wieght as food given how many business and lives depend on it, it is heartless, wicked & criminal to leave your customers at the mercy of melancholic robot who will deduct 300mb just because it didn't sleep well last night.

Verdict: Are you a magician? Are you fascinated with magic? Do you like sseing things dissappear? Things like animals, humans and of course, data? Mtn data plan is for you.

Webpages:
You ll think 1.5 gigabytes will be more than enough to surf the web since most of the Webpages you visit are kind of plain & light( like Nairaland ) and have little or no moving content unlike busy sites like skysports and xvideos where something is always guaranteed to be moving at any time of the day.

But as it turns out, viewing a simple, traditional Webpage sometimes takes as much as it would a YouTube video. Sometimes, more than. Other times, lesser than. But still not less enough to make you agree it's fair enough. I'll browse Nairaland sometimes and log out after 5-10mins and 100mb will be deducted. Sometimes, 60mb. Sometimes 80mb.

Offline Mode:
I think this is the most annoying part of being subscribed to any of Mtn's stupid data plan - they charge you for doing nothing. Absolutely, fffucking nothing. Between the hours of 12am and 2pm today, the deduced 80mb despite data connection being off. This has become a constant occurrence and I've learnt to channel energy I'll waste on complaining to customer care(as usual) to better use.

Verdict: With background data set on permanent restriction, data switched off, I wonder what steals data. Wait!! maybe, just maybe, my home button needs mb to take me from gallery to home screen.

Apps.

Twitter:

Twitter could - to a certain degree - qualify as a webpage since most of the activity there is text-based, save for funny memes and videos (which is optional to watch by the way), but the amount of data that constantly gets deducted for very little activity on this app is nothing to smile about.

I was charged an outrageous chunck of data few days ago by Oga robot for twitter activity that didn't last upto 7mins. Maybe it was because the joke I tweeted didn't get any retweets.

Facebook:
This one is for old people who don't know something like instagram exists. For stalking Amaka(your classmate) who refused to say yes to you in Nursery 2 has gotten pregnant for her street boy yet. Or for checking if the class olodo has managed to succeed in Life.... so I don't even bother with this app. However, considering it deals with lots of images and videos, I expect Mtn to use this as another avenue to make their already overweight bank account obese.

Instagram:
.... *ok calm down. ksslib breathe.. breatheeee**

I spent months in denial but I've finally accepted the bitter truth that Instagram is only for the rich. Atleast that's what Mtn wants me to believe. Watching funny videos, short comedy skits and smiling at images of Buhari's head swapped with various household items is only for the rich.

So expertly have Mtn perfected the art of deception and stealing that they would not deduct a questionable amount of data after my first, second, third and maybe fourth usage of Instagram after a fresh subscription. I'll just use Instagram at surface level (few videos, images) then log out and check my data balance, then smile at what I see.

This trick - as i later painfully discovered - is Mtn just trying to gain my trust, make me feel at home before allowing me to foolishly decide it's time to carelessly dive deeper into the unsteady, dangerous waters of Instagram videos.

If you're foolish enough like me to trust Mtn, the look on your face after checking your remaining data balance will quickly help you forget about that funny video you just saw on kraks TV. Abi you wan compare the effect of a message like "Dear customer, you have 66mb left of your current data bundle" to one video where all the people being interviewed on the street kept swearing they will not attend anybody's funeral that doesn't attend theirs. Lol

Verdict: Mtn says Instagram is not for poor people like me. We'll see what Etisalat, Airtel and others have to say.... minus Glo abeg. What's the use of having 100gig when I am only allowed to legally use 10mb due to poor service. Glo with pride indeed.

YouTube:
This is easily my favourite platform(clolsey followed by instagram) but it's a forbidden area for obvious reasons. YouTube is like stepping into the badlands.

Night plan is the only alternative here. Which means I am always awake at night browsing videos when my mates are in covoon hustling. And I also feel not getting enough sleep is too much a price to pay for thrills of YouTube but I am also not quick to forget I am Nigerian afterall, suffer is suppose to be my middle name. Therefore, Night plan it is.

Verdict: Know this: Using YouTube on Mtn's hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or whatever plan is tantamount to opening the flood gates of hell. You and your data will be flooded with fire and brimstone. For safety reasons, i dont even have the youtube app installed on my phone anymore because I might decide to want to watch a youtube video and later change my mind, but Oga robot will go ahead and deduct 300mb because apparently, the first law of data deduction states that "Habouring the thought of watching a YouTube video in your mind is the same as watching it".

Final verdict:
Mtn data plan is a big scam that anybody who knows the value of money - especially in this biting recession- should never subscribe to. This will be my last subscription. Even if all the angels of heaven descend and vouch for Mtn, I will never trust them. It's almost unbelievable that these corrupt piece of shameless thieves get away with this fuckery and daylight robbery...but wait! I almost forgot we are still in Nigeria.

The uncertainty, terror and suspense that comes with checking my remaining data balance every single f*cuking time - whether I surf the net or not - is too much for my young body to cope with. I am just 24 for God sake. I cannot be paying you one thousand naira almost every 4- 5days to give me high blood pressure and stroke.

Will I recommend this plan or any Mtn data plan?:
Yes, I will absolutely recommend this plan to anybody who will ask this question after reading everything.

aka gum , abeg hustle and make money and stop disturbing us here with your useless analysis

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by jy2kbeyond(m): 6:10pm On Aug 21, 2017
Forget the price, MTN still delivers quality.

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Cloud007: 6:11pm On Aug 21, 2017
yes oh....the data I use for 3 weeks barely last me a week. imagine....3.5g no dey last one week. wetin I dey press.? only tym heavy usage is required is on weekend. e no even dey reach dat weekend sef. angry

2 Likes

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Jointhemiltons2(m): 6:12pm On Aug 21, 2017
Rorachy:
Airtel own is even worse, the way the zap data eh.

Even my younger brother complained of it.
Abeg add me to the list of people complaining. Airtel 5.0gig dznt even last 1week sef
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by ogbada33: 6:14pm On Aug 21, 2017
Op you'll make a good writer. Your blend of facts and humour kept me glued all through. Thumps up!

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Divay22(f): 6:18pm On Aug 21, 2017
Oh my God..
I thought i was alone cry cry cry
I don't even know what to do anymore

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Abudu2000(m): 6:18pm On Aug 21, 2017
grin grin grin. Rotf i love your wording. You just made my day grin grin
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Prece(m): 6:19pm On Aug 21, 2017
Seriously the internet cost is not encouraging, and here MTN is the only good network.Every three days I use make a sub of 1k.Its not encouraging at all

1 Like

Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 21, 2017
9Mobile isn't any better. Instagram, Youtube, Facebook and Twitter are no go areas if you want ur data to last like Mungo Park.
One customer care agent told me the apps developers tweaked them to gulp more data. As if I believe that!!
Re: My Review Of Mtn Data Plans! by Chatflick(m): 6:19pm On Aug 21, 2017
MTN is a big Scam. I regret buying their data bundle. Airtel is far better.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Did You React When You Noticed That You Can't Access Facebook, Whatsapp? / Econet And Mtn Which One First Enter Nigeria ? / Glo New Data Plans For Mobile Phones And Tablets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.