Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,820 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:45 AM

Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? (27932 Views)

No Man Should Be Encouraged To Marry A Single Mother: A Response To Vyvyanvyvy / Do intertribal Marriages work? / Intertribal Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by babatunde80(m): 8:01pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
I was having a discussion with a few friends yesterday. I told them emotions aside, intertribal marriages shouldn't be ENCOURAGED.
Why? To preserve our culture, our identity is in our culture. I know alot of products of intertribal marriages that are torn between the question of identity.
I once read where a lady from an intertribal marriage said her mom insisted she married her own tribe as against her dad's.
In many intertribal homes there is this cultural neutrality, and many times there's a power play on the kids among the two in-laws.
Even the bible doesn't encourage intertribal marriage, remeber the instructions Abraham gave to his servant and the fact that Jesus was sent to the jews ONLY initially.
Have you wondered why the Chinese and Koreans do not marry outside their race, why do you think there is that cultural cohesion and reverence with them anywhere they go.
My take is INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGES SHOULDN'T BE ENCOURAGED.
What's your take? Please be factual and intelligent DO NOT APPEAL TO EMOTIONS.

**modified**
Alot of people are saying "culture evolves". Yes cultures evolve. But fundamentals like identity remains same.
Culture evolves. Identity doesn't. The fact that the Yorubas believe they descended from Oduduwa is UNIQUE TO THEM ALONE AND CAN NEVER EVER EVOLVE.
THE MOMENT IT DOES WE HAVE LOST WHO WE ARE

I read your first post and every other post on this thread. I noticed that the most emotional person here is you. You raise a topic. You asked for opinions. You should have acted as an umpire. But no you won't. Instead, any opinion that counters your stance makes you burst out. I am neither in support or against it. I came with an unbiased mind to get peoples opinions.

I read this thread twice. The second time, i read it while skipping all your comments. The second time gave me a more interesting and enlightened view of both angles without your emotional outbursts

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by JuneOctober(f): 8:01pm On Aug 24, 2017
Jigba:
One day the so-called culture you want to preserve won't be there anymore, that's a fact! smiley

grin it's fast fading already. People seems to be more concerned about Eurocentric standards these days

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Odunharry(m): 8:02pm On Aug 24, 2017
greggng:
To be is useless in Nigeria cos there is no love BTW various ethnic groups. It will be counter productive to give my sister away to u wicked and divided nigerians
Stop generalisation pls. There are still very very nice people in all tribes. Forget about trial wars you see here everyday.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by JuneOctober(f): 8:04pm On Aug 24, 2017
lovelygurl:

Lol don't mind them. Culture this culture that, yet they have more jeans and suits than agbadas in their wardrobes grin

grin grin how many parents even know their traditions totally and their so called "identity" before passing it to their children.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by hammerT: 8:05pm On Aug 24, 2017
babatunde80:

I read your first post and every other post on this thread. I noticed that the most emotional person here is you. You raise a topic. You asked for opinions. You have acted as an umpire. But no you won't. Instead, any opinion that counters your stance makes you burst out. I am neither in support or against it. I came with an unbiased mind to get peoples opinions.

I read this thread twice. The second time, i read it while skipping all your comments. The second time gave me a more interesting and enlightened view of both angles without your emotional outbursts

You are a Yoruba man dat feel his women are ugly and hence looking for blood of other tribe to improve ur looks.

U will always be opposed to anyone that dont show support for ur interest.

Igbos dont want inter-tribal marriage, their is no need for dat.

HausaFulani dont want inter-tribal marriage, they are happy amongst themselves.

Wen this country eventually breaks which it will, Yorubas will be on the other side of the fence.

Wat den?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by BORNTOSUCKPUSSY: 8:06pm On Aug 24, 2017
Yoruba men are strongly behind intertribal marriage because our girls re very ugly,i can never marry a yoruba girl

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Rilwayne001: 8:06pm On Aug 24, 2017
Demmzy15:
Yes na, that's what I'm planning sef!!!

**shines his ewedu infested teeth** grin grin

You want to marry Hausa? sad
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Bibidear(f): 8:07pm On Aug 24, 2017
Inter tribal marriage aint easy
i have two sis that married igbo and they are not finding it easy cos of the culture
dont think i can marry from other tribes
i prefer my yoruba brothers

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 24, 2017
JuneOctober:

grin it's fast fading already. People seems to be more concerned about Eurocentric standards these days

Yea exactly! grin
That's a cute baby on your dp though wink
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by hammerT: 8:09pm On Aug 24, 2017
BORNTOSUCKPUSSY:
Yoruba men are strongly behind intertribal marriage because our girls re very ugly,i can never marry a yoruba girl

They are marriage beggars.

It would be tolerable if they were not the most tribalistic Nigerians.

They better steer clear of the Igbos they hate.

Though I am not against the idea of inter-tribal or interracial marriage.

I am against the Yoruba genetic upgrade using other tribes blood.

Thus marriage to Yorubas is a big No.

Inter-tribal and Interracial marriage is suppose to be the exception and not the norm.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by JuneOctober(f): 8:12pm On Aug 24, 2017
Jigba:

Yea exactly! grin
That's a cute baby on your dp though wink

cheesy Thank youuu
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by michaeljarrett: 8:15pm On Aug 24, 2017
The Author of this post is stupid,useless,bringing disunity,shebi people like Obama na frm same tribe much less race,instead of looking to pull the country togeda ur spewing shit

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by wale2day: 8:17pm On Aug 24, 2017
aas
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Sagay212: 8:21pm On Aug 24, 2017
This topic or question doesn't make any sense. What has tribe got to do with marriage? You find someone you love and won't marry them because they are not same tribe as you? How do you even foster world peace if people don't engage in inter tribal marriage? How do you learn about other people's culture and have a better understanding instead of criticising and judging from afar?

OP i don't know your age, but your topic/questions doesn't make any sense. And who told you Chinese and korean people don't marry outside their tribe. I have seen enough chinese women married to men who are not chinese. A chinese woman and an Igbo man and they have a beautiful child and live happily. I don't know if you still live in a cave.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by wale2day: 8:26pm On Aug 24, 2017
Sagay212:
[s]This topic or question doesn't make any sense. What has tribe got to do with marriage? You find someone you love and won't marry them because they are not same tribe as you? How do you even foster world peace if people don't engage in inter tribal marriage? How do you learn about other people's culture and have a better understanding instead of criticising and judging from afar?

OP i don't know your age, but your topic/questions doesn't make any sense. And who told you Chinese and korean people don't marry outside their tribe. I have seen enough chinese women married to men who are not chinese. A chinese woman and an Igbo man and they have a beautiful child and live happily. I don't know if you still live in a cave[/s].
See my post above and be enlightened. Marriage has no relationship to world peace. Wen conflict starts it is usually the foreign wife that is targeted first.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 24, 2017
I don't think I can marry out of my tribe.

Its too stressful biko.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by groovie(m): 8:27pm On Aug 24, 2017
First off. Using the bible to butress ur point from ur angle is wrong. The bible regarded other tribes in the old testament as serving other gods, which was true. The new testament also says not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers. So the bible wasn't talking about tribe, but about who they serve. So as a Christian then what i should look out for is who is a Christian not who is my tribe.

Secondly, if for example u are Yoruba then going by ur explanation from birth u must make sure that the doctor that birthed u was yoruba, cos no other person knows ur value. Then u must be thought by yoruba teachers only from nursery school- university. Then u must work only in a yoruba man's company.....

See what i mean? Please change ur views.
You must also understand that there are devices that translate languages real time as is spoken. Technology has eaten deep and is still going to eat deeper into whatever culture u want to preserve.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by zubydave(m): 8:27pm On Aug 24, 2017
The Op is a dangerous man. One more thing Op, what's your view on racism?
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by WetinConsignMe: 8:28pm On Aug 24, 2017
Yes
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 8:30pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

I just knew someone will go emotional and leave facts alone.
I guess the Chinese and Koreans who hardly inter marry are "backward" or you are more evolved than them.
How does intertribal marriage preserve culture?
What then is your identity if you are from different places at the same time?
Discouraging intertribal marriage IS NOT EQUAL TO tribalism. Tribalism has nothing to do with that, it's a mindset and you can still be a tribalist even in an intertribal marriage like the example i sited in the OP.
Please reply intelligently and with facts and not appealing to emotions or trying to sound politically correct. Face REALITY PLEASE.
Intertribal marriages kills and dilutes cultures they lose coherence and values becomes extinct faster
What do you mean that Chinese and Koreans don't intermarry? Do you mean that as members of the brown races they don't intermarry?

I support inter tribal marriage within the same racial stock but I am opposed to inter racial marriages.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by MythAngel: 8:31pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
I was having a discussion with a few friends yesterday. I told them emotions aside, intertribal marriages shouldn't be ENCOURAGED.
Why? To preserve our culture, our identity is in our culture. I know alot of products of intertribal marriages that are torn between the question of identity.
I once read where a lady from an intertribal marriage said her mom insisted she married her own tribe as against her dad's.
In many intertribal homes there is this cultural neutrality, and many times there's a power play on the kids among the two in-laws.
Even the bible doesn't encourage intertribal marriage, remeber the instructions Abraham gave to his servant and the fact that Jesus was sent to the jews ONLY initially.
Have you wondered why the Chinese and Koreans do not marry outside their race, why do you think there is that cultural cohesion and reverence with them anywhere they go.

**modified**
Alot of people are saying "culture evolves". Yes cultures evolve. But fundamentals like identity remains same.
Culture evolves. Identity doesn't. The fact that the Yorubas believe they descended from Oduduwa is UNIQUE TO THEM ALONE AND CAN NEVER EVER EVOLVE.

Let me start by saying, some of your claims here or so called facts are misrepresentation of the actual facts. ...

Firstly, the case of Abraham was in the case of preservation of a particular line based on a promise made to him in particular, remember that he had to leave even his place of birth which was Ur, a Chaldean territory.. This was from indication that there the culture couldn't have promoted Abrahams pure worship to God, also this may pollute his Generation, but he ordered for his son to take from his immediate family and not from his tribe in Chaldean. Take note that Ismael a son of Abraham little was concerned about where he should marry from.

Again concerning tribes and identity ... You should know that all that you see is a mirage of divergence ... The so called culture are man made .. Only that they have stayed long enough not to make the coming generation understood that they weren't there at first .... The divergence is that right from inception their was only one culture but as people separate they form new ideas that latter made them different from people that have elevated other ideas. With time the difference becomes a culture .. But as it stands the world is converging and you can't stop it .. Its for the better of the human family...

What was Adams and eve culture?

Tge only culture i recorgnise is being a human... For that is our identity and not the ideas some with limited idea of the world inculcated .
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by RexEmmyGee: 8:33pm On Aug 24, 2017
Oga if not for inter tribal marriage, some people from the east staying in the north would have been dead by now

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by garriboy(m): 8:33pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

**modified**

Your take on this identity thing makes it look like people from different tribes are animals of different species.

Why do we need such divisive identity? Ultimately this kind of preservation of identity leads to a superiority complex that may most likely end up in an unpleasant way. Besides isn't that a firm of the "tribalism" we speak against?

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by iammolise(m): 8:34pm On Aug 24, 2017
these are the kind of topics that hinders progress, encourage backwardness and promotes ignorance.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by oladele00(m): 8:35pm On Aug 24, 2017
Marriage, which is a Union between two mature adult has two types which are ; intermarriage and intra marriage. intra marriage is when an Igbo man marry an Igbo lady. Intermarriage on the other hand is when an Igbo man marry a Fulani lady. which am not sure will ever happen in this era.

culture is the total way of life of a group of people. My culture is different from yours, my tradition is different from yours, My mode of dressing is different from yours, A Yoruba lady will kneel down while greeting my papa and my mama, while an Hausa Lady sees it as a taboo. My papa and my mama likes our traditional foods and my wife can not cook it. My papa and my mama want my wife to dress as a typical Yoruba woman she said noooooo. When me and my relatives dey discuss for our local dialect, my wife go dey vex say na she we dey discuss. It is advisable to go for one that respect and value ur culture and ur people than going for the one that u don't know her culture at all. Some will argue that luv conquered all things, but to me, I bliv that having a problem free marriage is the best.. I tagged it as an unholy marriage. Am for intra marriage.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by cgniyi(m): 8:36pm On Aug 24, 2017
I feel most people that still have a problem with intertribal marriage are not from Lagos.
I get irritated interacting with these type of people. Literally all my friends married outside their tribe. As long as the parents are not backwards thinking tribalists all should be good.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Ups01(m): 8:36pm On Aug 24, 2017
Hell Yeah!
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 24, 2017
Yes.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by toniatt(f): 8:36pm On Aug 24, 2017
Bros abeg which bible chapter he dey say Jesus was send only to the Jews alone. Abelian

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Amberon11: 8:36pm On Aug 24, 2017
I'm not even gonna risk losing any IQ point so I'm just gonna pretend like I didn't see this senseless, pointless, directionless, IQ reducing thrash of a thread.

Koreans and Chinese don't marry others in what planet!? Nonsense!

4 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Adejofrenzy(m): 8:37pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:

I just knew someone will go emotional and leave facts alone.
I guess the Chinese and Koreans who hardly inter marry are "backward" or you are more evolved than them.
How does intertribal marriage preserve culture?
What then is your identity if you are from different places at the same time?
Discouraging intertribal marriage IS NOT EQUAL TO tribalism. Tribalism has nothing to do with that, it's a mindset and you can still be a tribalist even in an intertribal marriage like the example i sited in the OP.
Please reply intelligently and with facts and not appealing to emotions or trying to sound politically correct. Face REALITY PLEASE.
Intertribal marriages kills and dilutes cultures they lose coherence and values becomes extinct faster
Sir, please consider the harmony/peaceful living of humans together, other than being too inclined with cultural values.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by yohanpaul: 8:38pm On Aug 24, 2017
@OP. Please don't allow sentiments blind your judgement. Am a product of intermarriage and I stand to say with all pride that it's the best . My dad is from kaduna, my mum from Abia state. My elder sister married a Benue man ,my elder brother married from cross rivers, my immediate elder brother married from Delta and I married from Edo State. Your culture and identity still remains the same , you teach your kids about your traditions and your wife also, they will have a sense of belonging. Take for example , we all travel to the village every December with our families to celebrate Christmas. It's fun . I advise you to give it a trial . Thank me later.
OrdercityWeb:

**modified**

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

I Stood Up To My Father / It's Our Wedding Anniversary! Help Us Thank Jehovah. / Who Are The Parents Of 2 Children Found Wandering In Enugu? (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.