Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,807 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? (27930 Views)

No Man Should Be Encouraged To Marry A Single Mother: A Response To Vyvyanvyvy / Do intertribal Marriages work? / Intertribal Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by codemaniacs: 9:39pm On Aug 24, 2017
dd

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 9:39pm On Aug 24, 2017
deedeedee1:
Op you are right. I do not support inter-tribal marraige. People who do this do not respect their culture. Marry your tribe to preserve your culture, history, and tradition. Children born from inter-tribal marriages always get confused when they grow up.
Only fools marry people outside their tribe.
Look into the mirror and you'd see the prime fool on this thread. Op believes in intra tribal marriage, fine, even though his reason do not validate his position. Others believe the opposite. Fair enough-to each his own. So why call people who believe otherwise fools?

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 9:40pm On Aug 24, 2017
[s]
Sagay212:

You are a cave man. You can only enlighten knuckle heads like yourself.
[/s]
He is right . intertribal maraiges does not reduce intertribal war

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 9:41pm On Aug 24, 2017
deedeedee1:

You get problem for head. Are Yoruba people not indigenes of lagos?
Are Yorubas the only people living in Lagos?

Your delusion is alarming.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by spiralwedge(m): 9:41pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
I was having a discussion with a few friends yesterday. I told them emotions aside, intertribal marriages shouldn't be ENCOURAGED.
Why? To preserve our culture, our identity is in our culture. I know alot of products of intertribal marriages that are torn between the question of identity.
I once read where a lady from an intertribal marriage said her mom insisted she married her own tribe as against her dad's.
In many intertribal homes there is this cultural neutrality, and many times there's a power play on the kids among the two in-laws.
Even the bible doesn't encourage intertribal marriage, remeber the instructions Abraham gave to his servant and the fact that Jesus was sent to the jews ONLY initially.
Have you wondered why the Chinese and Koreans do not marry outside their race, why do you think there is that cultural cohesion and reverence with them anywhere they go.
My take is INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGES SHOULDN'T BE ENCOURAGED.
What's your take? Please be factual and intelligent DO NOT APPEAL TO EMOTIONS.

**modified**
Alot of people are saying "culture evolves". Yes cultures evolve. But fundamentals like identity remains same.
Culture evolves. Identity doesn't. The fact that the Yorubas believe they descended from Oduduwa is UNIQUE TO THEM ALONE AND CAN NEVER EVER EVOLVE.
THE MOMENT IT DOES WE HAVE LOST WHO WE ARE

The present tribes didn't fall from heaven. They are a result of intertribal marriages and other social contacts. No race or tribe is entirely pure. Even the Israelites after captivity never was the same again. Social contacts among diverse people makes culture to evolve. Culture can't be preserved, it's a fruitless effort. Cultures evolves.
The english language of KJV Bible and Shakespeare has evolved. (language is culture too). Many languages are evolving by borrowing one word from another. In this NASA internet age, many languages have to continually borrow from English their IT terms.
Many of our languages in West Central Africa is Bantu Congo language family. That is to suggest we had similar origin initially, but by social contacts, which include intertribal marriage, new tribes and cultures evolved.
The Yorubas in South America have intermarried and have become a new tribe/race, though their source can be sourced.
Intertribal marriage is the future. It solves a lot of genetical problems and gives a lot healthy worldview. It also gives such families to live a happier lives, because they easily don't entangle themselves with bigotry and banters. They are usually soulful and liberal

3 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 9:41pm On Aug 24, 2017
[s]
Mujtahida:

Look into the mirror and you'd see the prime fool on this thread. Op believes in intra tribal marriage, fine, even though his reason do not validate his position. Others believe the opposite. Fair enough-to each his own. So why call people who believe otherwise fools?
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 9:42pm On Aug 24, 2017
Rilwayne001:

cheesy grin

Eyin n ko sir?
I never know yet ooo. grin

But a Brazilian lady, arabian lady or Korean lady with south African lady is hmmm. wink

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 9:43pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
Are Yorubas the only people living in Lagos?

Your delusion is alarming.
How can your compare Lagos to america?
Nkan se ori e

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Mujtahida: 9:44pm On Aug 24, 2017
1metre:
identity is one thing that remains constant. It stands the test of time but culture is dynamic. Inter tribal marriage to my little understanding promotes cultural interference. Therefore it should be encouraged.
Quit saying identity is constant. Identity too can and does change . Just a few years ago I identified myself as a Christian presently I don't at least in my consciousness. That means my religious identity has changed.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 9:44pm On Aug 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

forefathers never inter-married at a point in time cool cool

even today one of the major reasons there are different tribes in SW is because of the civil war which caused migration out of the eastern region..

How I know they never inter-married is it was forbidden to inter-marry until the wh:ytes came and turned ethnic groups against each other...
You get brain egbon

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by codemaniacs: 9:45pm On Aug 24, 2017
kk

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Rilwayne001: 9:45pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
I never know yet ooo. grin

You better know. You are not getting any younger o. undecided

Awa yi wa ni street sha tongue tongue
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 9:48pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
Tribalism, racism, religion, politics are the main problem of this world.

I use religion experience in my family as an analogy. Ode
Oloribu ni e. We are talking of ethnicity here

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by codemaniacs: 9:49pm On Aug 24, 2017
kk

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 9:49pm On Aug 24, 2017
Amakavula:

Chinese and Koreans are nationalities and not tribes. The reason you don't notice is because they left prejudice long behind and have intermarried to the point of complete assimilation.

Let me explain: The Chinese is not a tribe but are of various tribes: Hakka, Cantonese, teochuwu, Hainan , Tibetan, and many more. Japan : the hanito, ainu and Okinawa. The Koreans too. They intermarried and formed a super more general culture.

As someone rightly mentioned, culture evolves. The English of today is a mixture of Anglo-Saxons-Norman (part french, part Vikings). And that's is why Africans have remain underdeveloped.

Tightly holding on to aloofness between tribes Hinders connection, and a single national identity. Even Israel which of 12 tribes had to let go, and intermarried. The Levi forgo their special previleges and culture; as priests and minsters

I know it's painful, but certain part of our culture has to give way and upgrade. killing of twins, and killing of servants with a dead king was parts of our culture, weren't they?

Intermarriage is the way forward. to grow and cultivate a national identity we have to mix.
What are you saying? Are you saying Chinese were colonized? There is nothing like Nigeria.
It is a British Utopia that is unrealistic. Even the founding fathers of the country reffered to Nigeria as merely a Geographical boundary.

Your point about Isreal intermarrying is flawed, were they allowed to marry non-isrealites?

Your reference to Chinese having different tribes still butresses my point, the YORUBA RACE is a NATION consisting of different 'ethinic groups', because they share the same values and culture so for you to use the fact that Chinese have different tribes is flawed.
You can't compare the Nigerian context with the Chinese. There is nothing like 'Nigeria' it is only a geographical location, I'm a YORUBA MAN.
Thats my root.
So what's your point?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 9:50pm On Aug 24, 2017
PataAlhaja:
I think the OP has a point.

As a proud Yoruba nigger, if at all, I consider marriage sometimes in the future, she just has to be Yoruba. Kids are closer to their Moms and I would love to raise 100% Yoruba kids, with 100% Yoruba names and inclinations ... kids who would learn the Yoruba language, culture and ways from their Mom and I ...

Besides, I love speaking the Yoruba language so much. So getting married to a "Non-Yoruba" is definitely not an option.

No apologies ... My life, my choice.

Life's too short, you know. Igba o lo bi orere, Aiye o tan lo bi opa ibon! grin
You are an intelligent and responsible Yoruba man

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 9:52pm On Aug 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

even today one of the major reasons there are different tribes in SW is because of the civil war which caused migration out of the eastern region..

How I know they never inter-married is it was forbidden to inter-marry until the wh:ytes came and turned ethnic groups against each other...
At a point in time doesn't mean ancient days alone but any point in time or era.

People trade with many things even with humans, are you saying there were no product of inter-mix offsprings? What about settlers and immigrants?

Kwara state is an example.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Sagay212: 9:53pm On Aug 24, 2017
deedeedee1:
[s][/s]
He is right . intertribal maraiges does not reduce intertribal war

It does...it does because who ever inter marries gets to have a better understanding of the other tribes and can tolerate. You think inter tribal/religious wars would not have been worse especially in Nigeria if people didn't inter marry in terms of tribe/religion? You know the number of yourba/igbo marriages and christian/muslim marriages we have especially in Lagos, abuja? The cave man that quoted me was talking trash about the wife being attacked first if there is inter tribal war. So if as a yoruba man, he marries and igbo lady and there is inter tribal war, he will kill his wife and probably the children too? Inter tribal marriages reduces a lot of negative things aside from war. If you cannot marry someone outside your tribe, you should as well not do business with people outside your tribe or not eat food that is not of your tribe because you want to preserve culture. You want to preserve culture and you are not worshipping sango, ogun, amadioha and the rest, you want to preserve culture and you frown at the culture of aboki.s who marry underage girls and call it primitive, you frown at using humans for sacrifices, yet you do not know it used to be part of African culture.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 9:53pm On Aug 24, 2017
Rilwayne001:

You better know. You are not getting any younger o. undecided

Awa yi wa ni street sha tongue tongue
I have modified my post, go check. wink
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by buffalowings: 9:53pm On Aug 24, 2017
Somehow I like this discussion angry angry

I will like to marry igbo girl cool

But the order city does come up with compelling arguments against intertribal marriage cool

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 9:54pm On Aug 24, 2017
Amakavula:

Chinese and Koreans are nationalities and not tribes. The reason you don't notice is because they left prejudice long behind and have intermarried to the point of complete assimilation.

Let me explain: The Chinese is not a tribe but are of various tribes: Hakka, Cantonese, teochuwu, Hainan , Tibetan, and many more. Japan : the hanito, ainu and Okinawa. The Koreans too. They intermarried and formed a super more general culture.

As someone rightly mentioned, culture evolves. The English of today is a mixture of Anglo-Saxons-Norman (part french, part Vikings). And that's is why Africans have remain underdeveloped.

Tightly holding on to aloofness between tribes Hinders connection, and a single national identity. Even Israel which of 12 tribes had to let go, and intermarried. The Levi forgo their special previleges and culture; as priests and minsters

I know it's painful, but certain part of our culture has to give way and upgrade. killing of twins, and killing of servants with a dead king was parts of our culture, weren't they?

Intermarriage is the way forward. to grow and cultivate a national identity we have to mix.

What are you saying? Are you saying Chinese were colonized? There is nothing like Nigeria.
It is a British Utopia that is unrealistic. Even the founding fathers of the country reffered to Nigeria as merely a Geographical boundary.

Your point about Isreal intermarrying is flawed, were they allowed to marry non-isrealites?

Your reference to Chinese having different tribes still butresses my point, the YORUBA RACE is a NATION consisting of different 'ethinic groups', because they share the same values and culture so for you to use the fact that Chinese have different tribes is flawed.
You can't compare the Nigerian context with the Chinese. There is nothing like 'Nigeria' it is only a geographical location, I'm a YORUBA MAN.
Thats my root.
So what's your point?

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 9:55pm On Aug 24, 2017
Funkybabee:
I don't encourage inter-tribal marriage though its has some advantage you will have some benefit from the both side, gain and learn from both tribe.... but what I detest about it,is being calling person halfie mehn I hate it for example those country you mentioned above Korean is Korean Yoruba is Yoruba but calling person half I don't really like it.......
You will be called halfie if you are

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 9:55pm On Aug 24, 2017
deedeedee1:

How can your compare Lagos to america?
Nkan se ori e
This shows your intellect is low and your reasoning is poor.

Simple analogy you can't reason with it.

America is filled with different race, Lagos is filled with different tribes, now reason with it.
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Petonis(m): 9:55pm On Aug 24, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
I was having a discussion with a few friends yesterday. I told them emotions aside, intertribal marriages shouldn't be ENCOURAGED.
Why? To preserve our culture, our identity is in our culture. I know alot of products of intertribal marriages that are torn between the question of identity.
I once read where a lady from an intertribal marriage said her mom insisted she married her own tribe as against her dad's.
In many intertribal homes there is this cultural neutrality, and many times there's a power play on the kids among the two in-laws.
Even the bible doesn't encourage intertribal marriage, remeber the instructions Abraham gave to his servant and the fact that Jesus was sent to the jews ONLY initially.
Have you wondered why the Chinese and Koreans do not marry outside their race, why do you think there is that cultural cohesion and reverence with them anywhere they go.
My take is INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGES SHOULDN'T BE ENCOURAGED.
What's your take? Please be factual and intelligent DO NOT APPEAL TO EMOTIONS.

**modified**
Alot of people are saying "culture evolves". Yes cultures evolve. But fundamentals like identity remains same.
Culture evolves. Identity doesn't. The fact that the Yorubas believe they descended from Oduduwa is UNIQUE TO THEM ALONE AND CAN NEVER EVER EVOLVE.
THE MOMENT IT DOES WE HAVE LOST WHO WE ARE
everyone is entitle to their opinions.......mine is intertribal marriage should be encourage. The bible did not say a man will marry a woman from his tribe and be one neither did it say that he that findeth a wife from his tribe. And the chines and koreans do marry diff tribe....in china a cantonese can marry a mandarin, so also in korea. Please marry from any tribe...whats important is what your heart tells you....your identity is not only in where you come from.....its as much in where tou heading..
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by Rilwayne001: 9:55pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:

But a Brazilian lady, arabian lady or Korean lady with south African lady is hmmm. wink

Polygamy too?
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by codemaniacs: 9:56pm On Aug 24, 2017
kk

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 9:57pm On Aug 24, 2017
miceroms:
The good thing is that you recognise that it is ideal and a desired state. As we continue to see the fusion of cultures through marriages, our inhibitions and prejudices are dismantled making us better persons. Like the bible will say, till we all come to unity of faith.

Yes. Thank you!
It's only an ideal. It's unrealistic and its against the uniqueness of cultures around the world.
We don't need to intermarry to see others better. We can interact! Intertribal marriage CAN NEVER STOP racism or ethnic chauvinism so its only IDEALISTIC.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 9:57pm On Aug 24, 2017
tolugeorgeinfo:
The english you are typing is it not because of inter tribal marriage!
No! It is because of illegal colonisation

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by OrdercityWeb: 9:58pm On Aug 24, 2017
codemaniacs:

Gbam!!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by tintingz(m): 9:58pm On Aug 24, 2017
Rilwayne001:

Polygamy too?
One is ok but I want to follow your step, you be my oga. cheesy
Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by 1metre: 9:59pm On Aug 24, 2017
Mujtahida:

Quit saying identity is constant. Identity too can and does change . Just a few years ago I identified myself as a Christian presently I don't at least in my consciousness. That means my religious identity has changed.
what do u understand by identity? It is that part of a person that does not change. It influence the way u do things. It is xterised by ways of differentiating u from others. It is the culture inherent in u. Your decisions on how to do things remain subjective. It changes based on your world view.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Intertribal Marriage Should Be Encouraged? by deedeedee1: 10:01pm On Aug 24, 2017
tintingz:
This shows your intellect is low and your reasoning is poor.

Simple analogy you can't reason with it.

America is filled with different race, Lagos is filled with different tribes, now reason with it.
Mumu! Yoruba people makeup over 65 percent of Lagos population. Is osun state 100 percent Yoruba? Are there no other tribes living there! Ode no e. I guess you are One of those eddiots that think IBO's makeup 40 percent of Lagos

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Nigerian Couple Welcomes Triplets After 12 Years Of Marriage (Photos) / Husband, Wife Compete For Adultery After Failed Marriage In Lagos / I Stood Up To My Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.