Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,526 members, 7,850,789 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:11 AM

Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors (5979 Views)

Nigeria To Start Building Ship, Says Niger Delta Minister, Akpabio / Police Funding: NANS To Storm National Assembly, Official Says / IGBO Must Go: Nigeria Moving Towards Anarchy, Breakup Says Niger Delta Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Blue3k(m): 2:55am On Aug 21, 2017
Diademk07:

[s]What's this whorre rambling about? Is Edo Nigerdelta? [/s]

Stop exposing yourself. All this mad ranting like you have rabies. Edo has always been ND.

3 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Adminisher: 2:59am On Aug 21, 2017
The youth of the ND do not know the great harm they are doing. The future is already leaving them behind.

7 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Diademk07: 3:00am On Aug 21, 2017
Blue3k:

Stop exposing yourself. All this mad ranting like you have rabies. Edo has always been ND.

Tell that to your stupid sister who keeps seeking for Yoruba attention even when we don't want prostitutes like her!

5 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Diademk07: 3:03am On Aug 21, 2017
Blue3k:

Edo is SS, not Niger delta!

If Edo is Niger delta, then Ondo state is Niger delta as well yet we don't scream out our lungs over every niger delta issue because we know we aint ND. Edo state don't even have a sea yet they are claiming ND. Lol.

3 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Blue3k(m): 3:05am On Aug 21, 2017
Diademk07:

Tell that to your stupid sister who keeps seeking for Yoruba attention even when we don't want prostitutes like her!

Shut up child. End your emotional tantrums.

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Diademk07: 3:08am On Aug 21, 2017
Blue3k:

Shut up child. End your emotional tantrums.

Who's a child? I won't insult you because you seems to be a goodie boy but learn to mind your business.

2 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by step1: 3:38am On Aug 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

What's your business on how people choose to spend their own money. If they decide to use it for toilet paper, how the hell is it your business. What you self righteous people don't understand that we understand all these your tactics of telling us, what about the 13% this, NDDC that. it's the resource of the Niger Delta ad it's their prerogative to decide whether they want to squander it or not. it's not in your place to ask questions. You're a parasite just like all of us that are not from there. Heard?

So Niger delta should stop complaining then if they like to use their money for tissue paper or be looted.

Imagine This, a boy has a Land, I am a farmer, I grow the corn and after harvest I give the boy 13% of my revenue, not only that I share the remaining 87% with him and his other brothers, I still use some of the money and give it to his mother (nddc) anuty and co to be giving him pocket money and all he needs. Yet he is still burning my crops and stealing my tools.

Also you keep talking of region people. For crying out loud this region is under the laws of the federal republic of Nigeria so they are not autonomous.

My state is being called no man's Land, my village is lost to the city;have you seen us kidnapping and burning government or private structures ?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Afam4eva(m): 3:51am On Aug 21, 2017
step1:

So Niger delta should stop complaining then if they like to use their money for tissue paper or be looted.

Imagine This, a boy has a Land, I am a farmer, I grow the corn and after harvest I give the boy 13% of my revenue, not only that I share the remaining 87% with him and his other brothers, I still use some of the money and give it to his mother (nddc) anuty and co to be giving him pocket money and all he needs. Yet he is still burning my crops and stealing my tools.

Also you keep talking of region people. For crying out loud this region is under the laws of the federal republic of Nigeria so they are not autonomous.

My state is being called no man's Land, my village is lost to the city;have you seen us kidnapping and burning government or private structures ?
Your analogy is stupid. Sorry to say.

The land is not yours and the owners did not give you permission to cultivate it. You forcefully took the land in the name of one Nigeria, brought companies from abroad as well as sell oil wells to your friends and cronies most of who are not part of the family of people that own the land and then you think by giving them 13% of the land that you stole is good enough.

I'm not saying 13% is not a lot of money. Sometimes, i wish we in Enugu had 13% of anything. We would have gone very far by now. But that's not the point. The world over, resources are owned by states and regions and that's what makes Texas the second richest state in the US. Their oil is not controlled from the center. That's exactly what the Niger Delta needs. Under this present arrangement, the states need to manage their own resources and by tax to the federal government. That's the common practice all over the world. We must stop making it look like we're doing them a favour because we aren't. if they control their resources, however they choose to spend the proceeds is none of our business. It's the business of their people to hold them accountable not those it does not concern.

5 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 3:51am On Aug 21, 2017
An Investor saying the investment opportunity is no longer attractive to investors.

So what is Shell still doing in Niger Delta?
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by step1: 4:04am On Aug 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

Your analogy is stupid. Sorry to say.

The land is not yours and the owners did not give you permission to cultivate it. You forcefully took the land in the name of one Nigeria, brought companies from abroad as well as sell oil wells to your friends and cronies most of who are not part of the family of people that own the land and then you think by giving them 13% of the land that you stole is good enough.

I'm not saying 13% is not a lot of money. Sometimes, i wish we in Enugu had 13% of anything. We would have gone very far by now. But that's not the point. The world over, resources are owned by states and regions and that's what makes Texas the second richest state in the US. Their oil is not controlled from the center. That's exactly what the Niger Delta needs. Under this present arrangement, the states need to manage their own resources and by tax to the federal government. That's the common practice all over the world. We must stop making it look like we're doing them a favour because we aren't. if they control their resources, however they choose to spend the proceeds is none of our business. It's the business of their people to hold them accountable not those it does not concern.
You can pass your message across without the word stupi.d

So they should agitate to leave Nigeria. What are you even saying? So long as the laws of Nigeria hold, no resource is for any individual or group of people. We have Niger deltans that own oil wells so what are we saying. I am here and I know the mentality here and I tell you the region cannot grow with this sense of entitlement. Watch Niger delta's that don't have this silly mentality and compare with the ones that have.

Abeg make una do what you want. Nigerians don't like reading or hearing the truth. Blow up all the pipelines and employ only Niger delta's. I don tire

6 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Afam4eva(m): 4:06am On Aug 21, 2017
step1:

So they should agitate to leave Nigeria. What are you even saying? So long as the laws of Nigeria hold, no resource is for any individual or group of people. We have Niger deltans that own oil wells so what are we saying. I am here and I know the mentality here and I tell you the region cannot grow with this sense of entitlement. Watch Niger delta's that don't have this silly mentality and compare with the ones that have.

Abeg make una do what you want. Nigerians don't like reading or hearing the truth. Blow up all the pipelines and employ only Niger delta's. I don tire
Which state are you from? Abia?

3 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by step1: 4:11am On Aug 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

Which state are you from? Abia?

Why the question ?

4 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Afam4eva(m): 4:17am On Aug 21, 2017
step1:

Why the question ?
Is your state now a top FBI secret? Just wanna use to explain something.

2 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by step1: 4:19am On Aug 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

Is your state now a top FBI secret? Just wanna use to explain something.
why the sarcasm. Explain what you want to explain. Use any state that comes to mind

4 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Afam4eva(m): 4:28am On Aug 21, 2017
step1:
why the sarcasm. Explain what you want to explain. Use any state that comes to mind
Now imagine you're from Ebonyi state having in mind that Agriculture is what makes the state and then the federal government tells your state that they can no longer control the agriculture in the state. That it will take over the agriculture in the state and give oil wells farming lands to their friends and cronies, many of whom are not from Ebonyi. You will bow have outsiders controlling your agriculture and at the end of the month, the government will give the state just 13% derivation. Do you think it's fair considering that that's the only resource that the state has. Doesn't Ebonyi state deserve to control 100% of their resources and pay a certain percentage to the federal government?

3 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Blue3k(m): 4:42am On Aug 21, 2017
Diademk07:

Who's a child? I won't insult you because you seems to be goodie boy but learnt to mind your business.

Dude you must be kidding. Your emotions are getting best of you. Stop acting like your browser doesn't have search engine. Yes Ondo and Edo are also Niger Delta. Imo is Niger Delta and it has no sea funny right.

Who is this we your referring to. We should inform NDDC and Nigerian government your not Niger Delta. There's was a huge mistake you and your friends discovered.

Diademk07:

If Edo is Niger delta, then Ondo state is Niger delta as well yet we don't scream out our lungs over every niger delta issue because we know we aint ND. Edo state don't even have a sea yet they are claiming ND. Lol.

2 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by greenmonk: 6:09am On Aug 21, 2017
hammerT:
hahahahahahahahaha!

The company that sponsored Nigeria to defeat Biafra and kill 3 million.

Sponsored the oppression of the Nigerdelta people.

Are we surprise? NO!
Who sponsored your state governor to loot your state treasury. who sponsored you to sell your vote put criminals in position of power?
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Blizzy9ja: 6:20am On Aug 21, 2017
majekdom2:
only a fool keeps doing same thing over and over without results. ND cities that once used to be like other sane cities. You see expatriates relate with Nigerians like they are Nigerians. There were loads of opportunities. My friend's dad was managing the accounts and finances of many of them. All of a sudden, kidnap business started. It became hard for an expat to schedule meetings with a normal Nigerian. Things started getting bad. Tho, you won't find many recreational centres, the atmosphere was lovely. What has violence done? Now, oil is loosing its' value. Companies are no longer investing as they ought to. The cities are dry. People are relocating to lagos everyday. What will they tell generations to come? I have been told there were days if you got to popular rumola junction in ph, you ll see a drilling rig. You could go there to learn about what they are doing... is it the same story now??
Shell left the people with no other option
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by hollywater: 6:50am On Aug 21, 2017
They should leave as fast as they can. At least we can take back our land and use it in the way we can. While Afonjas and Cows can go back to their place and start begging and gossiping.
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by omohayek: 7:48am On Aug 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

The world over, resources are owned by states and regions and that's what makes Texas the second richest state in the US. Their oil is not controlled from the center. That's exactly what the Niger Delta needs.
Actually, you have this very, very wrong. The world over, resources are owned by private individuals and corporations, not states. The government of the state of Texas owns absolutely no oil wells itself, and has never demanded the right to directly obtain the revenues to be obtained from oil or any other resource: like all other American states, Texas simply taxes the profits of oil companies, while regulating them for things like environmental impact, etc.

All this talk of "states" and "regions" controlling assets is simply a fancy way of saying state and regional elites should be left in peace to loot 100% of the oil rents by themselves, not a serious argument in favor of local development. What the Niger Delta needs is for private land owners in the region to be guaranteed ownership of whatever is found underneath it, so they can benefit directly from any oil finds made by outsiders, instead of having to wait for an Ibori to drop them a few crumbs now and then.

The ugly truth of the matter is that arguing for private property rights to mineral resources is unpopular even within the Niger Delta itself, because most of those demanding "resource control" are just another set of rent-seeking parasites who want to muscle out all the other rent-seeking parasites in the rest of the country: that's really all this talk of "freedom fighting" comes to, a big shakedown by thugs looking for big paydays, but the all too foreseeable side-effect has been to drive away investment from the region, investment no amount of hectoring and whining will bring back if the same old parasitical attitudes remain in place.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 7:49am On Aug 21, 2017
Blizzy9ja:
Shell left the people with no other option
Na only shell dey complain, how about the other IOC's? Is it shell that is supposed to be attacked or the federal government? That's the difference between lagos and ND. Rather than attack the investor, attack the government. Will people not be forced it is th government that is fueling the attacks on these companies

2 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 8:09am On Aug 21, 2017
step1:

they will never agree to the views of strangers. It's a cancerous mentality that everyone is out to "rip" them off. I think one problem is that they are not well travelled. If you check well, the way the south easterner address isssues is quite different from how south south has been, that's because an average Igbo man is a traveller.

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

Now imagine you're from Ebonyi state having in mind that Agriculture is what makes the state and then the federal government tells your state that they can no longer control the agriculture in the state. That it will take over the agriculture in the state and give oil wells farming lands to their friends and cronies, many of whom are not from Ebonyi. You will bow have outsiders controlling your agriculture and at the end of the month, the government will [b]give the state just 13% [/b]derivation. Do you think it's fair considering that that's the only resource that the state has. Doesn't Ebonyi state deserve to control 100% of their resources and pay a certain percentage to the federal government?
an average ND has this give me make I chop mentality. I have told you, it's not about controlling or having resources that makes great. People, process and technology. Once there is a missing part of it, it gets really unsustainable.

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 21, 2017
Diademk07:

stop the ignorance now..
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by successincentiv(m): 8:19am On Aug 21, 2017
What makes it unattractive ?
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

What's your business on how people choose to spend their own money. If they decide to use it for toilet paper, how the hell is it your business. What you self righteous people don't understand that we understand all these your tactics of telling us, what about the 13% this, NDDC that. it's the resource of the Niger Delta ad it's their prerogative to decide whether they want to squander it or not. it's not in your place to ask questions. You're a parasite just like all of us that are not from there. Heard?
Thats the point, no matter how much money you give them, it will never be enough. Give them 100 percent and see them say they still have other shares in Nigeria's wealth. Na today!

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 21, 2017
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 8:24am On Aug 21, 2017
deomeelo:

You really should be telling us what happened to all the 13% derivations, IGR, budgets, NDDC and ministry of Niger delta affairs and also Alams, Ibori and the other leaders in that region looting every kobo in sight.

The has nothing to do with resources control, it's all about bad, crooked and corrupt leadership in that region.

Even with resources control, are the leaders in that region going to repent, stop looting and deliver on behalf of their own people and if they don't, is it not going to be bombing and blowing up oil installations all over again?

You know the problem so why keep pointing fingers elsewhere?

If you had been to states like Akwa ibom and rivers some 12 years ago before the 13% derivation was passed you'd appreciate the impact of that law. Forget all that talk about the Niger Delta and corruption; there's worse corruption in Abuja and the north and even among SW states. The Niger Delta has improved rapidly in the last 10 yrs. But if you're expecting it to be like Dubai for a 13% that hardly amounts to 4 or 5bn a month then you're funny.

Even Abuja that has been built already still has nearly the largest monthly allocation in Nigeria. The NDDC is a sham. What is needed in Nigeria for the better is fiscal federalism else we'd keep on buying drugs to cure the ailment instead of addressing the problem that caused them in the first place.

And besides from when oil was discovered in the Niger Delta till 2000 despite the peace there was no development of sorts at all and expect the People not to get restive? The rotten tooth has to pulled out first before the mouth can chew in peace

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 21, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

If you had been to states like Akwa ibom and rivers some 12 years ago before the 13% derivation was passed you'd appreciate the impact of that law. Forget all that talk about the Niger Delta and corruption; there's worse corruption in Abuja and the north and even among SW states. The Niger Delta has improved rapidly in the last 10 yrs. But if you're expecting it to be like Dubai for a 13% that hardly amounts to 4 or 5bn a month then you're funny.

Even Abuja that has been built already still has nearly the largest monthly allocation in Nigeria. The NDDC is a sham. What is need in Nigeria for the better is fiscal federalism else we'd keep on buying drugs to cure the ailment instead of addressing the problem that caused them in the first place.

And besides from when oil was discovered in the Niger Delta till 2000 despite the peace there was no development of sorts at all and expect the People not to get restive? The rotten tooth has to pulled out first before the mouth can chew in peace
there is corruption every in Nigeria that's not to say there are no visionary leaders. @ bolded. I was in PH for more than 10 years. There wasn't any much change until someone visionary came and that was Ameachi. Just like some southwestern states couldn't boast of meaningful developments until visionary leaders took the helms of government. It's not about the money allocated really. This man's point is not turning the state into dubia. It's about making it a conducive environment to do business. Why was there no refinery in lagos before now? Why was it port harcourt? See, truth is what's obtainable in the ND especially state like rivers isn't anymore. I made a clear examples where expats where clients to Normal Nigerians, that's not the case now. Even the infrastructure you are talking, are you saying a state like rivers hasn't got enough funds over the years to make it look like lagos and abuja?
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by madenigga(m): 8:57am On Aug 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

It's commonsensical that a region that produces most of Nigeria's resources but doesn't get it's due will be restive. It's like jumping inside mud and asking why your body is dirty.
This line is becoming stale.

An average Niger Deltan has high criminal/militant tendency.

4 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 21, 2017
majekdom2:
there is corruption every in Nigeria that's not to say there are no visionary leaders. @ bolded. I was in PH for more than 10 years. There wasn't any much change until someone visionary came and that was Ameachi. Just like some southwestern states couldn't boast of meaningful developments until visionary leaders took the helms of government. It's not about the money allocated really. This man's point is not turning the state into dubia. It's about making it a conducive environment to do business. Why was there no refinery in lagos before now? Why was it port harcourt? See, truth is what's obtainable in the ND especially state like rivers isn't anymore. I made a clear examples where expats where clients to Normal Nigerians, that's not the case now. Even the infrastructure you are talking, are you saying a state like rivers hasn't got enough funds over the years to make it look like lagos and abuja?

Yes, it's hasn't. Forget the figures, they are widows mint compared to what was invested in Abuja over the last 30 years or what was built in Lagos between the Colonial govt and when the federal government left. The truth is a lot of money is need to develop a swampy marshland like the Niger Delta. Building a 10km road in Bayelsa would cost over 5 times the cost in Benue. That's one factor most people don't look at in their analysis. The 13% that is so much talked out amounts to 1.03 trillion for the highest earning ND state in 15 bloody years. That's 68 billion a year. When you go down to states like Imo, Ondo and Cross river it ranges from 10-20bn a year. Sincerely how much is that relative to myriad of problems and infrastructural Gap in the Niger Delta?.

Yes Ameachi did quite well cos he benefited from the 13% derivation that was became law just before he stepped in.

1 Like

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 21, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Yes, it's hasn't. Forget the figures, they are widows mint compared to what was invested in Abuja over the last 30 years or what was built in Lagos between the Colonial govt and when the federal government left. The truth is a lot of money is need to develop a swampy marshland like the Niger Delta. Building a 10km road in Bayelsa would cost over 5 times the cost in Benue. That's one factor most people don't look at in their analysis. The 13% that is so much talked out amounts to 1.03 trillion for the highest earning ND state in 15 bloody years. That's 68 billion a year. When you go down to states like Imo, Ondo and Cross river it ranges from 10-20bn a year. Sincerely how much is that relative to myriad of problems and infrastructural Gap in the Niger Delta?.

Yes Ameachi did quite well cos he benefited from the 13% derivation that was became law just before he stepped in.
Yes, I agree those 2 cities are what they are because they were once Nigeria's HQ. Calabar is not far from the same story. I read sometime about LNG constructing a bridge from bonny to ph and how long it will take and how they want to partner with FG. Someone said to me, It will never be possible. I understood what he meant fully. What the shell spokes man is just saying is, individual are scared to put their money in the ND. Imagine if dangote's refinery was being built in ph. Blowing up pipelines and attacking private investors facility does not make any sense to me really. If you want to fight for proceeds, tackle that will FG. The oil companies have nothing to do with proceeds that come from oil, that's FG's business. What is development without investments that will create jobs and opportunities for the people?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Central Mosque Enugu-ezike In Enugu State Razed Down / I Met Some ESN Operatives Yesterday For The First Time / Why Aren't There Any Developed Or Successful Black Nation In The World?k Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.