Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,656 members, 7,851,249 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:47 PM

Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors (5985 Views)

Nigeria To Start Building Ship, Says Niger Delta Minister, Akpabio / Police Funding: NANS To Storm National Assembly, Official Says / IGBO Must Go: Nigeria Moving Towards Anarchy, Breakup Says Niger Delta Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 21, 2017
deomeelo:

What exactly is in Akwa Ibom and what have they done within the last 10 years?

Akpabio with just 5 million people to manage posted more state budgets than Lagos state and the largest in the history of state budgets in Nigeria and apart from 1 fly over and a few roads, he commissioned less than 4 projects so please tell us where the money went.

1 Hospital

1 football field

1 library

That's all.

He budgeted billions for Ibaka seaport, but ordinary road clearing or fencing wasn't done

Tropicana consumed tens of billions, but only 1 cinema was delivered.

What was done in Delta state? Nothing, I mean nothing, unless you have some invisible projects to share with us. To date, Delta state owes more money than Lagos state, but nothing to show.

What was done in Bayelsa? Nothing. Alams stole all the money and GEJ did not build 1 single classroom

Rivers did better because Amechi was a good manager.

Son of the soil looted billions to spend on Juju.

You can not substitute poor, corrupt and fraudulent leadership with resource control, put your house in order first.

which state are you from?
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by rosebowl01(m): 3:42pm On Aug 21, 2017
we must belong by fire by force - atacheee!!! una welldone grin grin grin

hammerT:

Is dat y Yoruba and Hausa are facing eviction order in NigerDelta?

Mind u, NigerDelta is a part of the old SE state. We were together and have a history together before the British came and dragged the North and South West into the Bight of Biafra.
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by omohayek: 6:24pm On Aug 21, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Why does it matter which state he (or she) is from? How does it affect the quality of the argument in any way? angry

I don't know whether to feel anger or pity for Nigerians who are too intellectually lazy to weigh arguments without resorting to the shortcut of tribalism, the standby of fools.

5 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Basic123: 7:05pm On Aug 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

It's commonsensical that a region that produces most of Nigeria's resources but doesn't get it's due will be restive. It's like jumping inside mud and asking why your body is dirty.
Their approach is like sending one father tp prison because he is not responsible.Their anger should be directed to ministry of niger delta,NDDC and their governors(they should demand direct usage of 13% derivatives)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Basic123: 7:08pm On Aug 21, 2017
Afam4eva:

Whose aim s it to resolve issues? The ND says we want to controll our resources and pay tax to the federal government, the government says no. They say that oil companies should up their social responsibility ability, the oil company goes ahead to bribe government officials and everything is swept under the carpet. The little money that gets to the community are shared by chiefs and elders and you wonder why able bodied men go about bombing pipelines. My brother, don't worry, one day a company will come to your village and rape everything in sight, that day i will tell you to resolve issues with them. English is always easy when you're not at the receiving end of grave injustices.
Why not bombing the chief and elders?
Their approach is myopic!,they dont check the pros and cons

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Basic123: 7:13pm On Aug 21, 2017
hammerT:

Is dat y Yoruba and Hausa are facing eviction order in NigerDelta?

Mind u, NigerDelta is a part of the old SE state. We were together and have a history together before the British came and dragged the North and South West into the Bight of Biafra.

bight of biafra..lolz

who was the head of bight of biafra then?
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 21, 2017
omohayek:

Why does it matter which state he (or she) is from? How does it affect the quality of the argument in any way? angry

I don't know whether to feel anger or pity for Nigerians who are too intellectually lazy to weigh arguments without resorting to the shortcut of tribalism, the standby of fools.

So you think you're intellectually sound cos you threw a successful dig at me? Well, I didn't answer him well cos he was arguing against facts with nothing but his personal opinions.

And answering him wasn't relevant to the larger point I was trying to pass across to the guy I quoted. Now you've called me a tribalist and intellectual fool, I hope the derived satisfaction gives you a really long orgasm.

Good evening
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Basic123: 7:26pm On Aug 21, 2017
GoldNiagara:
They will blame it on Yoruba. I no wetin we do for them.
s
and still come to claim later that they are superior to yorubas.In Nigeria existence today,yorubas outsmarts every other tribes!,
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by GoldNiagara(m): 7:38pm On Aug 21, 2017
Basic123:

s
and still come to claim later that they are superior to yorubas.In Nigeria existence today,yorubas outsmarts every other tribes!,

We know it is borne out of envy. That is how blacks hate white and blame them for everything.
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by omohayek: 8:30pm On Aug 21, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

So you think you're intellectually sound cos you threw a successful dig at me? Well, I didn't answer him well cos he was arguing against facts with nothing but his personal opinions.

And answering him wasn't relevant to the larger point I was trying to pass across to the guy I quoted. Now you've called me a tribalist and intellectual fool, I hope the derived satisfaction gives you a really long orgasm.

Good evening
It's pathetic that you think my statement was a mere "dig", as if I had time to waste on such exchanges with strangers. So what if all he was saying was merely (in your view) his personal opinions? Would they have magically become more or less valid because of where he came from? Or do you think it's rare for Nigerians "from" one state to have more first-hand experience of life in another state than an "indigene" who may not even have lived in his or her hometown in years? Guess what that line of thinking is called: tribalism!

I called you an intellectually lazy tribalist because the question you posed would only have seemed relevant to an intellectually lazy tribalist. A less tribalistic and lazy person would either have responded with personal experiences of his or her own, or, better yet, would have tried to counter the original argument by bringing to the table well-sourced, objective statistics from reputable sources. Expecting the state a person is from to tell you anything about the truth or correctness of what they're saying is simply absurd.

2 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 21, 2017
omohayek:

It's pathetic that you think my statement was a mere "dig", as if I had time to waste on such exchanges with strangers. So what if he all he was saying was merely (in your view) his personal opinions? Would they have magically become more or less valid because of where he came from? Or do you think it's rare for Nigerians "from" one state to have more first-hand experience of life in another state than an "indigene" who may not even have lived in his or her hometown in years? Guess what that line of thinking is called: tribalism!

I called you an intellectually lazy tribalist because the question you posed would only have seemed relevant to an intellectually lazy tribalist. A less tribalistic and lazy person would either have responded with personal experiences of his or her own, or, better yet, would have tried to counter the original argument by bringing to the table well-sourced, objective statistics from reputable sources. Expecting the state a person is from to tell you anything about the truth or correctness of what they're saying is simply absurd.

Well, I'm not an intellectually lazy tribalist, maybe you are. Like I said he's argument wasn't relevant to my line of thought at the time so left him hanging with that question. If your problem with me is cos I asked "which state he came from" then I'm really sorry. Yes, I am. Although at the time I had a reason for asking him that question cos from my experience on Nairaland certain people from certain parts of Nigeria are quick to dismiss what ever goes on in another part of the country as nothing. I had stated that States like Rivers and AKS saw noticeable changes infrastructurally in the last 10 years as a result of increased funding from the 13℅ derivation and he went on to dismiss my statement as exaggerated. I wasn't going to take the next 10minutes of my time bringing him up to speed with what people who have stayed in this areas can testify to when I have serious work to do! nah!

So if you think I asked the question cos of tribalism the joke is on you. Or if the comment simply offends you then I'm sorry.

If my previous comment was insulting I'm also sorry. Don't take things too seriously bro. Its not a war
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by ismart: 8:51pm On Aug 21, 2017
majekdom2:
what is resource control? Does the ND have the strength to control the said resources? Do you want Shell to agree that they want to be dealing with the Niger deltan government and not the federal government. It's simple, by law, all natural resources belong to the FG. I have companies operating in my region. They are infact numerous. I am happy they do, sometimes when I see them I wonder what my state would have looked like without them. The problem with you Niger deltans is this delusion that the land and oil is "our" own. Until you see it as a mutual relationship and understand that the oil and land is useless without the presence of shell, you will always feel cheated. Corruption affects every Nigerian not just ND

Shut the fork up... In the US, if oil is found in your compound, it belongs to you and your generational family ALONE, no forking government comes to take it from you. That is why generation after generation, families still reap the wealth of their ancestors.

3 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by deomeelo: 8:52pm On Aug 21, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

Makes zero difference.

2 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Oladeeone: 9:12pm On Aug 21, 2017
majekdom2:
lagos will work for a long time because the way they approach problem is different.
southwest in general

2 Likes

Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 21, 2017
ismart:

Shut the fork up... In the US, if oil is found in your compound, it belongs to you and your generational family ALONE, no forking government comes to take it from you. That is why generation after generation, families still reap the wealth of their ancestors.

keep comparing Nigeria to US. US have been doing oil for over years. Keep on you hear. How well would it have been if you approached every issue of your like the way US will approach.
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by Nobody: 10:08pm On Aug 21, 2017
This Weli guy deserves a very good hot slap.
Northerners and South Westerners stole all the oil blocks here and have been ripping us dry for a long time, and all he's got to say is this rubbish.

Please tell your investors to pack and go with their criminalities to Lagos.
We are breeding a new set of ND indigenous Investors to invest in the Land and develop the region.
We want to own our oil blocks and control our Resources ourselves PERIOD!

Stupid Igo Weli.

Well, I don't blame our cursed Federal Govt, I will put my full blame on our FOOOOOLISH 6 South South Governors that have REFUUUUSED to Wake the Bleep up.

angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Shell Official Says Niger Delta Is No Longer Attractive To Investors by BabaRamota1980: 10:15pm On Aug 21, 2017
majekdom2:

Mr Igo Weli, the General Manager, External Relations, Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC), on Thursday said the Niger Delta was no longer attractive for investment.

Weli made the claim in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Port Harcourt on the sideline of an SPDC sponsored two-day meeting with stakeholders in Abia and Rivers states.

He said that declining interest by investors was partly due to restiveness, damage of facilities and the unpredictable nature of the region’s business environment.

“The Niger Delta is no longer attractive to investors, as most businesses have already left with new and potential investors preferring to invest in other places like Lagos.

“There are issues in Nigeria today but there are parts of the country that are still working. Even in the midst of these issues and challenges, Lagos is making progress.

“Investors are going to Lagos because of the choices the state government makes and the way they organise themselves and the confidence that gives to investors, which is the reverse in the Niger Delta.

“If Dangote could invest 18 billion dollars to build a refinery in Lagos that ordinarily should be sited in the Niger Delta, then the Niger Delta should be seriously concerned.

“The region is depriving itself of investment, employment and business opportunities because of endless agitations and choices it took out of anger,” the SPDC official said.

Weli explained that Dangote refinery alone would create over 149,000 new jobs with the economies of Lagos and other South-Western states the major beneficiaries.

He said that unemployment was on the rise in the Niger Delta partly because most firms have left while others have reduced their operation in the area.

Weli wondered why the region was yet to develop despite benefiting from 13 per cent derivation and presence of establishments like the Niger Delta Development Commission; Niger Delta Ministry and Amnesty Programme.

According to him, people who desired to hurt SPDC forget that the company was a global brand with assets all over the world, and as such, could make adjustments.

“Even the existing companies’ activities are dropping because everyday instead of spending time thinking of how to grow the business; the companies are busy thinking of how to manage crises.

“So, people need to think deeply before they act because perception of the situation in the area is likened to one day one trouble, and no longer one week one trouble.

“We should ask ourselves questions of why the region is not on the path of progress; why its roads, schools, hospitals and electricity are not different.

“Well, we should look no further because it is simply the choices the region is making,” he said.

Weli said that re-positioning of the region would involve collaboration of all stakeholders including both state and local governments; the private sector and the people. (NAN)
http://leadership.ng/2017/08/17/niger-delta-no-longer-attractive-investors-shell/

If they self manage their region, instead of relying on the center would that bring about the expected difference and they would progress at their own pace?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sahara Reporters Interviews Fashola, Watch Video / Baraje, Oyinlola, Others Sue PDP, INEC Over Suspension / Nyesom Wike Tenders Letter Of Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.