Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,102 members, 7,811,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Mr Vice President, That Is Not How To Fight Hate Speeches - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mr Vice President, That Is Not How To Fight Hate Speeches (424 Views)

National Commission For Prohibition Of Hate Speeches Bill Introduced By Senate / The Official Car Of The NANS President That Costs 19 Million Naira: A Review / PMB The Only President That Can Whip People With Koboko & They Will Smile- Sani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mr Vice President, That Is Not How To Fight Hate Speeches by Sapiosexuality(m): 8:50am On Aug 21, 2017
One would have expected that the method recommended by the current Nigerian government in combating the increasing level of hate speeches was preventive and constitutional. Last week, Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbanjo, said that hate speeches now amount to treason. That anyone found guilty of making utterances capable of inciting the public will be given the treason treatment.

One would have expected something more like a bill signed into law after proper examination by the National Assembly. It didn’t happen. He simply made a statement that is neither founded nor different from what all the other leaders who governed this country ever said. He expected this reactionary method to be implemented immediately. He forgot about laws.

If a person incites the people with a speech laced with hatred and treason, what exact laws would be used in prosecuting such a person? The mere words of the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, or the laws created to tackle such statement? Personally, I find it hard to believe that our leaders, both past and present, have no clue on how to solve hate speeches. They simply have no balls or will to fight the menace.

Read Full Post below

http://www.mortalpoet.com/mr-vice-president-that-is-not-how-to-fight-hate-speeches/
Re: Mr Vice President, That Is Not How To Fight Hate Speeches by MyNewJackeT: 9:02am On Aug 21, 2017
Even though I haven't read this but I totally agree.
Re: Mr Vice President, That Is Not How To Fight Hate Speeches by toolovely(m): 9:05am On Aug 21, 2017
they just planned to shut opposition...

I was listening to a radio station this morning... I caller called...and said, "Buhari cannot do anything in Nigeria, that he doesn't have the capacity to transform Nigeria.." the presenter cut him off...that they don't tolerate hate speech... I was like, so, to criticize a govt now means hate speech?

Besides, to love a person or group is a choice.
the govt can not force me or anyone else to love or hate another...
it's my choice...
what the govt can do is to appeal to Nigerians to love themselves....
if I hate you, I hate you... even if I didn't say it, it won't change anything.

1 Like

Re: Mr Vice President, That Is Not How To Fight Hate Speeches by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:22am On Aug 21, 2017
toolovely:
they just planned to shut opposition...

I was listening to a radio station this morning... I caller called...and said, "Buhari cannot do anything in Nigeria, that he doesn't have the capacity to transform Nigeria.." the presenter cut him off...that they don't tolerate hate speech... I was like, so, to criticize a govt now means hate speech?

Besides, to love a person or group is a choice.
the govt can not force me or anyone else to love or hate another...
it's my choice...
what the govt can do is to appeal to Nigerians to love themselves....
if I hate you, I hate you... even if I didn't say it, it won't change anything.
It won't be possible in Nigeria though because there is a mental shift on how we view speeches. There's a little upward spiritual(not religion) movement that wouldn't permit any avenue for fascism or absolute despotism.

Osinbajo simply uttered words with neither wings nor direction. His words won't fly. He'd have to sign laws to that effect for it to have effect. Besides that, he is simply chasing the wind like other leaders.

(1) (Reply)

Senator Andy Uba Unveils 3 Point Pledge For Anambra People / An Open Letter To The Governor Of Ogun State. / $1.2bn Zungeru Power Plant Completion Date Shifted To 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.