Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) (20636 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Think The Road In Front Of Their House Belongs To Them? / Registered But Barely Driven Volvo S80 T6 For Sale 07030843024 / 2018 Volvo XC40 Unveiled As A Small Premium SUV - Photos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by mancjay02: 12:11pm On Aug 22, 2017
450 odds available for today's game ,call now or whatsapp to subscribe.

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by dedunji: 12:16pm On Aug 22, 2017
Am from Enugu in my place Volvo is used to carry dead body's ,I mean ambulance .so checkam naa .

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 22, 2017
is kuku a volvo

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by sinach665: 2:19pm On Aug 22, 2017
Nigerians and our "dem say" mentality sha.
OP if you sincerely love Volvo cars, go for it. I currently own a Volvo S60 2002 model and I can categorically tell u that it's a fast, reliable and safe car. Just do your routine servicing and maintenance and you are good to go. If you really want to go for the S80, avoid the T6 turbo cuz it's problematic. Go for the T5.
However, i will suggest you buy a tokumbo S60 since you are a Bachelor.

2 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by wisestman(m): 2:30pm On Aug 22, 2017
Naturallyme:
I have been using the car for almost 4 years now. No regrets. What helps me is because I am a mechanical engineer and potentially an auto mechanic. I need to commend the utmost reliability of my car as it moves any day any time. I use the 5 cylinder and I am maintenance savvy. I schedule my maintenance before any fault occurs like, change timing belt, fuelpump and all before they breakdown. The motor has many electronics, so one problem may lead to another soon u need to solve any little problem as soon as possible. mechanics always misconstrue thecar Problems but if you are technologically oriented, Youtube willsolve all your problems. I change my shafts, hubs, rods,and Ball joints under30K last october and I have not done any repair since then till now. I only change oil and I drive Lekki to egbeda every working day.

My car is a converted car.

Is your mechanic based on the island?
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 22, 2017
cool

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Naturallyme: 3:07pm On Aug 22, 2017
No, on mainland. he is a Volvo expert.
wisestman:

Is your mechanic based on the island?

1 Like

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by InvertedHammer: 3:17pm On Aug 22, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:
say what?!!...isn't volvo swedish luxury ranked with your mercedes...i dunno, if i recall, European cars are generally ranked higher than the japs

The Swedish company calls it a luxury brand but consumers beg to differ which is why it is not very popular. Even in brand vs brand competitions (racing or offroad) the name never gets mentioned.
If it is very popular with consumers this thread would not have been created.
/
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by valarinz: 4:08pm On Aug 22, 2017
barrydee:
Thanks Guys
I'm currently doing a research on the difference between the S60 and S80 models.
They look almost the same but the S60 has a spottier look and smaller in size than the S80.
Being a Bachelor, I have started considering the S60 because the S80 seems it's meant for folks in their forties. ( My friend whose S80 I drove is in his 40s though)
The thing is I don't know if it will be as powerful as the S80 since it comes with just a 5cyl straight and 5cyl turbo (T5)engines.

Anyone with the S60 experience? share please.

Team S60, anytime, anyday grin
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:

The Swedish company calls it a luxury brand but consumers beg to differ which is why it is not very popular. Even in brand vs brand competitions (racing or offroad) the name never gets mentioned.
/
Really?!

don't get me wrong, i'm not a fan of volvo,. but the reputation precedes it.
Volvo might come off as bland as wheat bread without butter, but its got its niche
It might not be a very commercial success, compared with toyota or volkswagen, but you have heard of them!
Renowned for its safety, if nothing else...Volvo is a household name and i believe they hold their own
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by valarinz: 4:12pm On Aug 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/

I beg to differ on the bolded line, there are countless threads here on nairaland about peeps asking same questions about buying other car brands, Toyota, Benz, BMW, Peugeot, name it
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 22, 2017
Luxury vehicle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Rolls-Royce model Phantom IV, a 1950s luxury car
Luxury vehicle is a marketing term for a vehicle that provides luxury — pleasant or desirable features beyond strict necessity — at increased expense.
The term suggests a vehicle with higher quality equipment, better performance, more precise construction, comfort, higher design, technologically innovative modern, or features that convey an image, brand, status, or prestige, or any other 'discretionary' feature or combination of them. The term is also broad, highly variable and relative. It is a perceptual, conditional and subjective attribute that may be comprehended differently by different people; "What is a luxury car to some... may be 'ordinary' to others."[1]
In contemporary usage, the term may be applied to any vehicle type— including sedan, coupe, hatchback, station wagon, and convertible body styles, as well as to minivans,[2][3] crossovers, or sport utility vehicles and to any size vehicle, from small to large—in any price range.[1] Moreover, there is a convergence in the markets and a resulting confusion of luxury with high price: where there may have been a clear difference in price between luxury and others, there is no longer an absolute separation between premium and luxury, with what may be premium brands now more expensive than the equivalent so-called luxury ones.[4]

Entry-level luxury/compact executive cars[edit]

The Lexus IS is an example of an entry-level luxury car
This category is known as the compact executive car in Britain where it specifies both the price range and vehicle dimensions. In the U.S., there is a broader category called entry-level luxury, which includes the bottom vehicles in the line-up of luxury brands as well as the top-of-the-line models of some non-luxury brands.[19] Dimensionally, compact executive cars are smaller than Mid-size cars and sometimes even smaller than compact/Small family cars. Mass market compact cars typically use the economical front wheel drive transverse engine layout, well suited to the inline-4 engine, which also maximizes interior room.[30] Most compact executive cars are rear-wheel drive with longitudinal engines, for improved stability and handling,[30] and in order to accommodate the larger size of higher-performance engines (straight-6, V6, rarely V8), with four-wheel drive often being available.[31] Compact executive cars also tend to have more complicated independent suspensions, sportier transmissions, and high revolution engines that may require premium gasoline. The more complex powertrain and mechanical layouts of compact executive cars comes at increased cost and reduced interior passenger and trunk space.[31] Compact executive cars include the Acura ILX, Alfa Romeo Giulia, Jaguar XE, Volvo S60, Lexus IS, Infiniti Q40, Saab 9-3, BMW 3 Series, Audi A4, Cadillac ATS, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class which particularly emphasize sporty handling.

Mid-size luxury/executive cars[edit]

The Hyundai Genesis is example of a large/mid-size luxury sedan sold initially under a non-luxury brand, but later on becoming the corner stone of a new luxury marque.[42][43]

The BMW 5-Series is an example of a mid-size luxury sedan.
The mid-size luxury segment is commonly referred to as executive cars in Britain, Obere Mittelklasse in German, and Grandes Routières in French.[14][15][44] Examples of models in this category include Acura TLX, Audi A6, Audi A7, Volvo S80, Volvo S90, Genesis G80, BMW 5 Series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Jaguar XF, Maserati Ghibli, Cadillac CTS, Lincoln MKZ, Saab 9-5, Lexus GS, and Infiniti Q50.[45][46][47][48] Although Maserati vehicles have traditionally been priced as ultra-luxury cars, the new Maserati Ghibli III is intended to compete with high-spec executive cars, such as the Audi S6/S7, BMW 550i and Mercedes-Benz E550/CLS550.

B[b]y 1992, these three divisions had sales of over US$3.5 billion, using lower prices and innovation to take market share from both domestic (Cadillac, Lincoln) and the European (Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW, Audi and Jaguar) luxury car makers. ... Since 2000, Lexus has been the number-one-selling luxury car marque in the U.S.[/b]

Evidence-based excerpts from wikipedia
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by InvertedHammer: 5:04pm On Aug 22, 2017
valarinz:

I beg to differ on the bolded line, there are countless threads here on nairaland about peeps asking same questions about buying other car brands, Toyota, Benz, BMW, Peugeot, name it

Do you agree that Volvo is not a popular brand like BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and Honda?
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:

Do you agree that Volvo is not a popular brand like BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and Honda?
lol
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by valarinz: 5:52pm On Aug 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:

Oga, from all you've been posting it's very obvious you understand the English language properly, so why pretend as if you didn't understand what I posted just cos to argue dey hungry you

The line from your comment which I bolded is what I said I disagree with, or do you want to dispute that peeps open similar threads to this on NL when they want to buy other car brands too?

Toyota is popular, yet people open threads to ask for opinions before buying Toyota cars. Word!!!

4 Likes

Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by robobo: 6:29pm On Aug 22, 2017
Naturallyme:
No, on mainland. he is a Volvo expert.

Chief please where on the mainland

wld appr8 if you oblige with his detail

thank you
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by b2212(m): 6:53pm On Aug 22, 2017
Naturallyme:
I have been using the car for almost 4 years now. No regrets. What helps me is because I am a mechanical engineer and potentially an auto mechanic. I need to commend the utmost reliability of my car as it moves any day any time. I use the 5 cylinder and I am maintenance savvy. I schedule my maintenance before any fault occurs like, change timing belt, fuelpump and all before they breakdown. The motor has many electronics, so one problem may lead to another soon u need to solve any little problem as soon as possible. mechanics always misconstrue thecar Problems but if you are technologically oriented, Youtube willsolve all your problems. I change my shafts, hubs, rods,and Ball joints under30K last october and I have not done any repair since then till now. I only change oil and I drive Lekki to egbeda every working day.

My car is a converted car.
NICE! can we see pics of your car especially the interior.interested in the conversion finish.
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by SmartchoicesNG: 8:36pm On Aug 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:

The problem with Volvo is that it couldn't find its niche. It cannot compete with everyday Japanese cars like Toyota and Honda neither can it compete with the more luxury Mercedes and BMW. Nice ride though. I had an S60 once. Transmission problems are common.
//
Or Audi
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by avrex3k(m): 8:57pm On Aug 22, 2017
i bought my family whips no volvo ......yezzy
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by InvertedHammer: 3:23am On Aug 23, 2017
valarinz:

Oga, from all you've been posting it's very obvious you understand the English language properly, so why pretend as if you didn't understand what I posted just cos to argue dey hungry you

The line from your comment which I bolded is what I said I disagree with, or do you want to dispute that peeps open similar threads to this on NL when they want to buy other car brands too?

Toyota is popular, yet people open threads to ask for opinions before buying Toyota cars. Word!!!

The part you highlighted is only a side dish. People asking for opinions about buying Toyota cars is different from someone asking why people are not interested in buying the Volvo brand.

By the way, how sure are you that it is not someone else that reads, translates and writes for me?
\
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by swedbase(m): 7:34am On Aug 23, 2017
barrydee:
Good day guys,
I need your honest answers. I drove a friend's car (2001 Volvo s80 2.8 T6 twin turbo charged Engine) over the weekend from Port Harcourt to Calabar and I was wowed. The handling was great especially the torque & power. No car saw my behind all through the journey and I felt totally safe even at speed up to 150kph. The gas mileage was better compared to a 3.0 Camry v6 not to talk of the stylish interior and club banging factory stereo.
My questions are :
-why do people avoid Volvo Cars?
-why do Volvo cars have poor 2nd hand value?
-Being a Swedish car, are the parts cheaper when compared to German cars(Benz, BMW etc)?
-The s80 has straight 5cylinder, 5cyl Turbo, straight 6cyl and 6cyl twin-turbo engines. Which of these engines is less problematic?

I currently own a 2001 Honda crv but Im considering the volvo s80 and i don't know if it's a good upgrade.
My Volvo enthusiasts in the house, over to you guys.....

Contact me for any volvo model you want and i will help you to buy and ship it to you. Volvo is the safest car in the world but many people are not aware.
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by barrydee(m): 1:14pm On Aug 23, 2017
So no comments yet from an S80 or S60 owner?
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by Naturallyme: 8:30am On Sep 09, 2017
Pm me bro/sis.
robobo:

Chief please where on the mainland

wld appr8 if you oblige with his detail

thank you
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by BamBamK: 11:46am On Feb 15, 2021
valarinz:

Wrong!! I don't even like that S80 of a car sef

Besides, the statement he made is not even clear, "parts are expensive" is a relative statement. He didn't compare it to any other car, so assuming he currently owns a golf 3, then his comment is very much on point. But to someone who owns a g-wagon the parts is not expensive, so let's wait until he compares it with a certain car model

do u still dislike d car??
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by valarinz: 12:36am On Feb 16, 2021
BamBamK:

do u still dislike d car??

Till date, they're a box of trash.

Before you get mischievous anyways, note the year models in question
Re: Why do Nigerians avoid Volvo Cars (S80) by BamBamK: 8:40am On Feb 16, 2021
valarinz:

Till date, they're a box of trash.

Before you get mischievous anyways, note the year models in question

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Car Change Of Ownership / How To Drive Automatic Vehicles / Advised Against Honda Accord....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.