Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,529 members, 7,826,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria (18016 Views)

Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos / 10 Most Liveable Cities In Africa 2022 / Top Ten Most Liveable And Beautiful Cities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by dragon2(m): 3:50pm On Aug 27, 2017
Different strokes for different folks
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Atk1nson(m): 3:52pm On Aug 27, 2017
dfrost:

Do you know what I've discovered about racism and tribalism? It starts with one person.

Don't be that person. Shalom.
True, the devil always finds a willing tool
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by alienvirus: 3:54pm On Aug 27, 2017
countryfive:

may God deliver u

Thanks bra. And you too
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by dfrost: 4:00pm On Aug 27, 2017
Atk1nson:

True, the devil always finds a willing tool

I'll never be that tool.
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by jstbeinhonest(m): 4:18pm On Aug 27, 2017
Emmah123:
So book haram in North East is the reason for instability in lagos. Kontinew sir!

Thats what the report stated.

1 Like

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by ifyan(m): 4:32pm On Aug 27, 2017
It really funny and unimaginable for whoever published such reports

Remember another reports that ranked Onitsha as the most polluted city.

Please correct me if am wrong
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 27, 2017
Eke40seven:
Lagos is a shalanga! If the rankings are based on healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.
Even our neighboring Cotonou is a far better place than Lagos!
Lemme expantiate further.
Healthcare: How responsive are the emergency ambulances to accidents and emergency health situation? What are the reputation of the hospitals? The ration of quality doctors to the population? Is the accessible? Do people go to pastors and babalawos for healing instead of hospitals? Do you go to your quack "chemist" instead of seeking for medication through the proper channels?

Culture and Environment: What can tourist see? How are your museums? Your history? Your festivals? How attractive is it. Is Lagos a place where one can take a 'wow' picture? Your environment, how polluted are they? Is the environment litter free? How is your waste management? The water bodies? Are they "clean"? The number of dead cars on the roads polluting the air. What is the traffic situation.
Education: For a population of over 15 million, 2 public universities serving the teeming youth is actually is a big disgrace! What is the quality of the high schools? Which research institutes do they have?
Well, if you judge Lagos from the eye of a foreigner, you will know that Lagos is a shalanga, and yes, including the almighty Lekki!
Oga Park well. Even me that I've been living in the U. S for almost 3 yrs now don't think Lagos is Shalanga (or whatever you call it). I lived in Lagos for about 10yrs and after traveling around a bit I still consider it one of the most vibrant and fun cities in the world at least to me.

1 Like

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 27, 2017
Very baised ranking. So you are telling me that cities like Raqua, allepo, in fact all of syria, libya and afghNistan are more safer to live in than lagos? Why is this state being targeted with so much negativity?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Charly68: 4:57pm On Aug 27, 2017
Only mumu will believe in unsubstantiated statistics.. With all the efforts of past Govt in Lagos . this submission us very biased and unrealistic ..
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Eke40seven(m): 5:25pm On Aug 27, 2017
12inches1:

Oga Park well. Even me that I've been living in the U. S for almost 3 yrs now don't think Lagos is Shalanga (or whatever you call it). I lived in Lagos for about 10yrs and after traveling around a bit I still consider it one of the most vibrant and fun cities in the world at least to me.
Oga! You lived in Lagos for 10 years I was born in Lagos and schooled there too. I have been to enough cities in West Africa and Europe to agree with the report! Lagos is a shalanga! Sometimes when I watch YouTube videos and news on Lagos, I just spit in disgust. Even we as a people are very dirty and disorganised. The disorderliness that has become part of the city is quite shameful.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by pressplay411(m): 5:28pm On Aug 27, 2017
Tinubu not gonna like this. Ambo? somebody call a ambulance.
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 5:35pm On Aug 27, 2017
ifyan:
It really funny and unimaginable for whoever published such reports

Remember another reports that ranked Onitsha as the most polluted city.

Please correct me if am wrong

This report is by the Economist Intelligence Unit - a Business Unit of the The Economist Group. They have been in the business of ranking cities for more than 50 years.

People need to study the methodology again.
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Markfemi2: 5:40pm On Aug 27, 2017
scholes0:

These are expats that have been to a lot of countries on this globe.
Sure, Lagos is third world... but worst in the world?
A bit of a stretch imo.

TBH Nigeria as a whole is least livable
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by ifyan(m): 5:51pm On Aug 27, 2017
Gerrard59:

This report is by the Economist Intelligence Unit - a Business Unit of the The Economist Group. They have been in the business of ranking cities for more than 50 years.

People need to study the methodology again.

But will you agree with me that they can also be compromised
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 5:55pm On Aug 27, 2017
ifyan:

But will you agree with me that they can also be compromise

Compromised by who?

Well, numbers do not lie.
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by ifyan(m): 5:59pm On Aug 27, 2017
Gerrard59:

Compromised by who?

Well, numbers do not lie.

Did you tgibk everyone is happy with you, where you are right now.
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by CocoaOla: 6:04pm On Aug 27, 2017
Real Estate businesses and landlords don turn Lagos to Sambisa Forest with their greedy house rents and frauds

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 27, 2017
Eke40seven:
Lagos is a shalanga! If the rankings are based on healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.
Even our neighboring Cotonou is a far better place than Lagos!
Lemme expantiate further.
Healthcare: How responsive are the emergency ambulances to accidents and emergency health situation? What are the reputation of the hospitals? The ration of quality doctors to the population? Is it accessible? Do people go to pastors and babalawos for healing instead of hospitals? Do you go to your quack "chemist" instead of seeking for medications through the proper channels?

Culture and Environment: What can tourist see? How are your museums? Your history? Your festivals? How attractive is it. Is Lagos a place where one can take a 'wow' picture? Your environment, how polluted are they? Is the environment litter free? How is your waste management? The water bodies? Are they "clean"? The number of dead cars on the roads polluting the air. What is the traffic situation like?
Education: For a population of over 15 million, 2 public universities serving the teeming youth is actually a big disgrace! What is the quality of the high schools? Which research institutes do they have?
Well, if you judge Lagos from the eye of a foreigner, you will know that Lagos is a shalanga, and yes, including the almighty Lekki!

I wanted to say, "oh no" but then I discovered you made staunch and valid points that will take an Albert Estein to refute.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 6:34pm On Aug 27, 2017
ifyan:

Did you tgibk everyone is happy with you, where you are right now.

Are you implying that the Editors at The Economist are jealous of Nigeria? shocked shocked

Below are the assessments used as the methodology:

Assessments of stability
Healthcare,
Culture and environment,
Education
...and Infrastructure

Compared to other cities (globally) of comparative economy size and population, is Lagos liveable?

Do not get me wrong, I love the city (everything about it), but one has to be rational in discussions. It is not liveable, by my standards and The Economist's.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by perfectgen(m): 6:45pm On Aug 27, 2017
I have personal issues with this kind of report; someone, who obviously has never been to Lagos rates Lagos as worst off than Palestine, Syria, Sudan etc. and just because the person is obviously a foreigner, it is assumed to be precise - you can hear mentions of instability due to boko harm, thus far, Lagos has never been attacked by that group and irrespective of internal crises, the government of Lagos state has always been responsive yet some Nigerians will accept this as a fact just because of hate. Is it not appalling that they are using the little divisive power of social media given them by those not wishing well for the country to attack us as a people; they didn't class any other city in Nigeria, which literary means they are all unlivable. Do we blame them when we ourselves call our country a zoo. We call our cities mundane names just because we chose to be tribalistic and justify our superiority over one another; this is not helping our international outlook. As Nigerians, we should distance ourselves and criticize such irrational and unfounded reports or else we will be redefined based on others perception of us rather than who we actually are. I believe in the strength and beauty of my country irrespective of it being the east, north, south or west and never will I accept a clown's classification of the lovely Lagos as the most unlivable.
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by ProfDumbledor(m): 7:04pm On Aug 27, 2017
Punch doing damage control with fake news. Lagos deserves the ranking, period. Which liveable city in the world will one wake up and start going to work by 4am, when the work actually starts by 8.30am? What is worse than that?

1 Like

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by nairanaira12: 7:46pm On Aug 27, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
The Amount of funds Lagos gets daily I can categorically say Lagos is not living up to expectations !!

I agree with you, I'm afraid
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 27, 2017
scholes0:

These are expats that have been to a lot of countries on this globe.
Sure, Lagos is third world... but worst in the world?
A bit of a stretch imo.

Let them leave VI and Lekki, come shack up in Ajegunle and Idimu. Na only dem go tap out when rat bite them for night grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by jstbeinhonest(m): 7:56pm On Aug 27, 2017
Gerrard59:

Are you implying that the Editors at The Economist are jealous of Nigeria? shocked shocked

Below are the assessments used as the methodology:

Assessments of stability
Healthcare,
Culture and environment,
Education
...and Infrastructure

Compared to other cities (globally) of comparative economy size and population, is Lagos liveable?

Do not get me wrong, I love the city (everything about it), but one has to be rational in discussions. It is not liveable, by my standards and The Economist's.

I Really Dont Think That A Report Which States That Boko Haram Causes Insecurity In Lagos, Should Be Taken Serious.
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by jstbeinhonest(m): 8:02pm On Aug 27, 2017
Dudeweedlmao:
Very baised ranking. So you are telling me that cities like Raqua, allepo, in fact all of syria, libya and afghNistan are more safer to live in than lagos? Why is this state being targeted with so much negativity?

Dont Get It Wrong, The Report Only Considered World Cities [ About 150 Of Them].

So Places Like Allepo Were Not Considered, Infact Lagos Was The Only City In Nigeria That Was Ranked.

1 Like

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by oxonek: 8:18pm On Aug 27, 2017
Lagos has nothing to show to a visiting foreigner. The sights from the Murtala Muhammed Airport, through the Mafoluku bus routes up to Oshodi are shockingly distasteful. The airport road median with its poorly manicured gardens is wider than the road itself. Streets are not lit, or poorly lit at night, security doesn't exist in spite of Ambode's best efforts. So wetin we dey talk about here?! I am confident however in spite of these facts, that soon, Lagos will arrive where it should be. But a lot of re-orientation needs to be in place, then hospitals, schools, roads, public parks need to wear a new look as well. Make we all join hands...to make Lagos better.

1 Like

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by GuyfawkesAB(m): 8:21pm On Aug 27, 2017
We are quick to swallow any report from foreign organisations including the UN because it's from 'Oyibo' people. Some people just sit in their offices in London or New York and begin to manipulate data to suit their propaganda. Don't believe their bullshit.

Yes Lagos is a tough and hard place to live in, but not as worse as putting us at the bottom of the table. Where is war-torn Kabul, Tripoli or Damascus? Or Chicago where more people are killed monthly than in Iraq or Afghanistan? Or is it only amenities that makes a place liveable and not security too?

Believe everything the western media and organisations give you at your own risk. They are experts at making others look really bad while hiding their own. They simply know the power of propaganda and misinformation and use it effectively

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off / Jonathan Mourns Victims Of Lagos Plane Crash, Orders Investigation / Railway Operators Ignore FG Free-Ride Directive, Sell Tickets At Inflated Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.