Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,723 members, 7,827,634 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria (18018 Views)

Flood Sweeps Away Motorcyclist, Displaces Hundreds Of Residents In Lagos / 10 Most Liveable Cities In Africa 2022 / Top Ten Most Liveable And Beautiful Cities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by proeast(m): 8:46pm On Aug 27, 2017
Lol, punch newspaper is really pathetic. Who does not know that Lagos is an unliveable city even by African standard? I've lived in Lagos and I told myself there was no way I could remain in such city without losing my sanity. The city is chaotic, overcrowded, lacks commensurate infrastructure for its overbloated population etc. If many Nigerians cant stand Lagos except when they cant help it, is it foriegners that could? Lagos is the only city in world with such population & yet still relies only on road transport to convey its citizens & Even the roads are deplorable. What about housing? electricity? Health care system? Sanitation? A city where people are easily lynched & jungle justice is a norm? Many areas are under the control of cultists & clashes are common? What about Badoo? What about "one chance"? A city where dead body can be decomposing on the road & people will be going about? Punch can continue asking emotional & sentimental questions to hide a known fact but nobody is fooled.

1 Like

Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by ifyan(m): 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2017
[quote author=Gerrard59 post=59879303]

Are you implying that the Editors at The Economist are jealous of Nigeria? shocked shocked

Below are the assessments used as the methodology:

Assessments of stability
Healthcare,
Culture and environment,
Education
...and Infrastructure

Compared to other cities (globally) of comparative economy size and population, is Lagos liveable?

Do not get me wrong, I love the city (everything about it), but one has to be rational in discussions. It is not liveable, by my standards and The Economist's.[/quote

]

Not jealousy but sentiment can play a major rôle bro.
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by NothingDoMe: 10:32pm On Aug 27, 2017
alariwo2, you suppose look the mod when dey in charge of this section before you comment.

E be like you wan chop ban of 2 years.

Oga J, I salute your ministry.
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Bossman(m): 2:27am On Aug 28, 2017
Yes, those are the things that constitutes livability, and that's what the rankings are based on. Infrastructure - water, electricity, health care, roads, etc. Lagos has taken a step backwards in a lot of these areas, from the days I grew up in Lagos. It's so unfortunate.

Eke40seven:
Lagos is a shalanga! If the rankings are based on healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.
Even our neighboring Cotonou is a far better place than Lagos!
Lemme expantiate further.
Healthcare: How responsive are the emergency ambulances to accidents and emergency health situation? What are the reputation of the hospitals? The ratio of quality doctors to the population? Is it accessible? Do people go to pastors and babalawos for healing instead of hospitals? Do you go to your quack "chemist" instead of seeking for medications through the proper channels?

Culture and Environment: What can tourist see? How are your museums? Your history? Your festivals? How attractive is it. Is Lagos a place where one can take a 'wow' picture? Your environment, how polluted are they? Is the environment litter free? How is your waste management? The water bodies? Are they "clean"? The number of dead cars on the roads polluting the air. What is the traffic situation like?
Education: For a population of over 15 million, 2 public universities serving the teeming youth is actually a big disgrace! What is the quality of the high schools? Which research institutes do they have?
Well, if you judge Lagos from the eye of a foreigner, you will know that Lagos is a shalanga, and yes, including the almighty Lekki!
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:27am On Aug 28, 2017
Least livable yet it is one of the most populated cities in the world. An unlivable place shouldn't have a large population because it means it is livable if so.

Whenever I travel, I still miss Lag, Eko for show!
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Kingspin(m): 5:31am On Aug 28, 2017
Nigeria na country
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Gamesmart: 8:27am On Aug 28, 2017
Afam4eva:

Pls, don't let these foreigners fool you. They're simply sucking up to us. I'm not sure Lagos should be ranked that low but i can't say that the ranking isn't apt.

scholes0:

These are expats that have been to a lot of countries on this globe.
Sure, Lagos is third world... but worst in the world?
A bit of a stretch imo.

It is an assessment of 140 cities from about 50 or so countries.

Not all countries in the world and there are more than 3 cities from some countries included. Lagos would definitely be one of the worst amongst the selection.
Re: Lagos "Least Liveable" Ranking Hard To Believe –foreign Residents In Nigeria by Gamesmart: 8:55am On Aug 28, 2017
Afam4eva:

Nobody says Lagos is the worse in the world and not even in the rankings. My only concern is that Lagos is doing worse than a few years ago which doesn't make sense considering that things have gotten a tat bit better. We cannot rule out the fact that people who come up with these rankings are not inundated about cities in Nigeria like other cities in the world and just jump to conclusions based on what they've heard.

So you think the other cities were standing still?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Erosion Menace: Enugu-onitsha Road About To Cut Off / Cost Of Relocating Alone Or With Your Family From Nigeria To Uk/ Student Route / Jonathan Mourns Victims Of Lagos Plane Crash, Orders Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.