Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,360 members, 7,836,470 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (59100 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / My Poultry Farming Experience! / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:08pm On Aug 28, 2017
Thanks for your kind reply to him and you are absolutely right.
Integrityfarms:

Value system, passion and available information are core functions of the decisions we take in life. Rather than saying it's not the best, you don't expect him to start making profit in the first three months of egg laying. Are you aware that these birds will profitably lay for one full year before culling?

You don't talk down on ones business pursuit. Am a consultant farmer with my farm where I have employees, you don't totally condemn the business pursuit of a client rather you offer technical assistance aimed at productivity efficiency.

3 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:09pm On Aug 28, 2017
I am posting my experience so that people interested in farming can have actually figures of how much you need to invest, the patience require, the trust, the prayers, the risk and all other factors.
You can learn from this positively or negatively, I hope it is positive.
Emjay1310:
This is my target business after what am pursing at the end of this year. Thanks for this. I am very much interested in the updates about your progress. So that when they reach full production capacity, I should have an idea of how much it will cost.

8 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 8:10pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:

I worked in a poultry for real life experience..we had 50,000 birds, each day we transported a full bus of hiace to Lagos...over 500 crates daily...its big time money, poultry is best with big money like the op, or small money but not in between. The op is a game banger...i respect him abeg

Would like to have hands on experience on poultry with your guidance when I am ready
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by deji17: 8:11pm On Aug 28, 2017
Pelebabaagba:

Me too.. This is always what I'm interested in.. Your source of CAPITAL.. A lot of bright ideas.. But no money.

And if you ask dem already made men.. All they tell you is.. "It been God"..

Abi o.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by remonics: 8:12pm On Aug 28, 2017
having read all the comments,I must say that those condemning the op are not fair to him. by my experience, those birds should lay 100 crates of egg every day for good six months. at peak the birds will consume 17.5 bags daily @3300/bag(wholesale price). whatever price he sells his eggs,am sure he will realise 1m net profit each months. pls encourage him. the way he started his payback period is short.
for those saying he spent much, the budget is OK. had he started with doc, he would have spent close to 1400/bird before seeing the first egg,cost of housing not included.
starting with point of lay is the best for a beginner, therefore I commend the op for a good job. may God bless his hustle.

7 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by deji17: 8:13pm On Aug 28, 2017
strangeland:
I am posting my experience so that people interested in farming can have actually figures of how much you need to invest, the patience require, the trust, the prayers, the risk and all other factors.
You can learn from this positively or negatively, I hope it is positive. @pelebabaagba

Nice. Would you mind sharing your experience about how you raised Capital?
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:15pm On Aug 28, 2017
I have the figures, it would be unfair to say 7.5m is too much without backing your words with figures. I bought the birds (17 week old) at the current market rate N1,400 (3,500*1400= 4.9m). Agent who charge N30 per bird = N105,000. That is over 5m. Add feeding, meds, cages and you can see how 7.5 as been spent. You can share with us how you would have done that with less much. After all we are all learning.

supersystemsng:

Sir, I'm a farmer...I don't want to disclose details...I have over 20 blueprints in my bag..i've started stffs on low key...i've worked in poultry farms for first hand experience...it's too much... 7.5M in poultry is way too much...looking at the pic and the details outlined, i beg to see where 7.5M went into...do you know 7.5M is enough to raise lots of chicks if properly managed?

I'm also a consultant...I have macro and micro economics skills...i hold on to my initial point of view..

7 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by vezycash(m): 8:17pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:

neither do i judge anyone based on my monopolistic ideas..i owe it to myself to hve an opinion and express it without conservatism...

No vex.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 8:19pm On Aug 28, 2017
sonnie10:

I was actually waiting for this type of calculation. It still has a lot of loophole.
First , a crate of egg is 30 piece not one dozen.
Even if the poultry is self sustaining at this point, the maths does not still add up for profit.

Let assume he has zero mortality at the end, when they stop layering egg.

Selling the hen @ 2000 would give him only #7.2M. This less than the amout invested

Oga ,

The daily egg production will serve as his profit for the investment, while the #7.2M covers initial capital outlay after one year.he makes an average of100 crates a day @N500 per crate that's N50,000 income daily for 20days average month production that's N1M *12=N12 M per annum

The N12M is the gross profit by the time he removes cost this guy would be left with nothing less thanN7M ,which manager earns. This in a year.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:21pm On Aug 28, 2017
I invested in 17 weeks old birds because at that age they have pasted a critical point in their life to reduce the mortality rate. Business is about managing risk that was my way of managing mortality risk.
youngtizzy55:
love this idea. keep it up bro but will advise you try and raise them from chick when next you have the opportunity of raising this much quantity. At the said weeks of age I think the egg lay percentage should have improved more than wot you are getting presently. You can contact me to test my layer feed formulation. 08065396978 watsapp only

16 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by sonnie10: 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2017
Flaghouse1:

Oga ,

The daily egg production will serve as his profit for the investment, while the #7.2M covers initial capital outlay after one year.he makes an average of100 crates a day @N500 per crate that's N50,000 income daily for 20days average month production that's N1M *12=N12 M per annum

The N12M is the gross profit by the time he removes cost this guy would be left with nothing less thanN7M ,which manager earns. This in a year.

Where Will the money for daily feeding come from? @ 3500 × 16 = 56000
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:28pm On Aug 28, 2017
Thank you for your kind words, we all need encouragement, am glad that your farm is well now and pray that continues.
magazineguy:
This is totally wrong as a consultant.

You didn't wake up one morning and became a consultant, you had a bit of your own experience before venturing into consultancy.
It is his business and he has decided to invest 7.5M into it and he came here for better exposure and maybe to motivates others. Talking down on his business move may send a form of discouragement to him. Most times it is best to have your own first-hand experience yourself.

When i first ventured into farming on two plots of land, some older men tried managing my funds giving advice here and there. In the end there was no profit, lost the farm and I felt bad towards them.

Now I have my 8 plots of land and doing it my way with happiness and joy. From time to time I seek advice which I believe is why the op brought it here for better advice.

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by takenadoh: 8:32pm On Aug 28, 2017
sonnie10:

I was actually waiting for this type of calculation. It still has a lot of loophole.
First , a crate of egg is 30 piece not one dozen. The maximum crates of eggs would be 120.
600 × 120 is #72000 [daily imcome]
16 × 3500 is 56000 (feed)

Only 16000 left for other expenses?

Even if the poultry is self sustaining at this point, the maths does not still add up for profit.

Let assume he has zero mortality at the end, when they stop layering egg.

Selling the hen @ 2000 would give him only #7.2M. This less than the amout invested

Haba didn't u see crate as 30 in the calculation
Daily egg production at peak should be 1 per bird per day 3200/ 30 = 106 crates daily * 30 days in a month * 600 per crate = 1.9M monthly.

I think the amount he is spending on feeds is too much I get your point I think it will reduce greatly especially when they get to full weight.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by youngtizzy55: 8:32pm On Aug 28, 2017
Okk bro.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:42pm On Aug 28, 2017
Oh trust me i did, but I don't want to give only the answer, I want to show the workings before the answer by giving updates so we can both see what it takes
snthesis:
@strangeland
the main question is what was your business case i.e target budget vs expected revenue. i dont want to believe you just invested that amount of money without performing feasibility studies on the return on investment

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by sonnie10: 8:46pm On Aug 28, 2017
takenadoh:

Haba didn't u see crate as 30 in the calculation
Daily egg production at peak should be 1 per bird per day 3200/ 30 = 106 crates daily * 30 days in a month * 600 per crate = 1.9M monthly.

I think the amount he is spending on feeds is too much I get your point I think it will reduce greatly especially when they get to full weight.

Honestly you are confusing me the more. Let's limit our calculation on daily bases.
Since he has 3600 birds that would be 120 crates a day.
If egg is 600 naira per crate , that would be #72000 daily ( income)

Expense is 16bags × # 3500 = 52000

When you factor in other miscellaneous, the profit margin is not impressive
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:48pm On Aug 28, 2017
Thanks, that is extra cost (Unless it is a free service smiley) and people have been pointing out how much as been spent so far. Excel is doing just fine am a confident user.
imustsaymymindo:

Beautiful work, bro. I am working on a poultry management desktop software. It might automate your tasks better than excel sheets.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:51pm On Aug 28, 2017
Thanks bro, Well said, let him break it down for us how he would do it 300,000 birds. We all learning here oya
Gbabe2:

Obviously, you dont know what you are talking about or rather you have lost touch with whats going on in this field. Going by what you stated here, 300, 000 chicks with 7.5 million is absolute nonsense. How much do you think a chick cost? how much do either rent or buy pen houses? what about feeding cost which is very high these days. The guy is on the right track and he needs encouragement. I hate it when I see folks ascribing what they are not to themselves and spewing rubbish. Do you even think it's easy to float a business of that amount in this present economy and yet all you can do is to state things that are not grounded with facts. Guy, quote me any time, it is not possible for you to raise 12,000 point of lay with 7.5 million not to talk of the 300,000 birds as you have stated.

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
Absolutely not to talk about the risk at a younger age. Thanks
benardj3:
7.5m is not too much for 3500 birds....... 2m can't bring up 1k birds to laying point if you have to get a space from the money ..........cost of poultry,even if you compound your feed
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Chinks(m): 8:57pm On Aug 28, 2017
sonnie10:

Honestly you are confusing me the more. Let's limit our calculation on daily bases.

hmmmmm.... Boss, this your analysis is quite different from what is happening on the farm ooooooo.... 3600 birds can't give you 120crates per day. Once your HDP is 80-90%, then you're doing well... Your 3600 can not lay eggs at the same time. Therefore, your production will definitely fluctuate.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 28, 2017
strangeland:
I have the figures, it would be unfair to say 7.5m is too much without backing your words with figures. I bought the birds (17 week old) at the current market rate N1,400 (3,500*1400= 4.9m). Agent who charge N30 per bird = N105,000. That is over 5m. Add feeding, meds, cages and you can see how 7.5 as been spent. You can share with us how you would have done that with less much. After all we are all learning.

Bros you na elder oh...me advice ke... abeg you be man..
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 28, 2017
Flaghouse1:

Would like to have hands on experience on poultry with your guidance when I am ready

Wow..
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by sonnie10: 9:10pm On Aug 28, 2017
Chinks:
hmmmmm.... Boss, this your analysis is quite different from what is happening on the farm ooooooo.... 3600 birds can't give you 120crates per day. Once your HDP is 80-90%, then you're doing well... Your 3600 can not lay eggs at the same time. Therefore, your production will definitely fluctuate.

Thanks for this input. Honestly I do not know a thing about poultry but just computing figures based on the numbers flying around here. However, that does mean that I don't know the prices of a crate of egg , feed or old layer in the market.
Every calculation I made is common sense.

Trust me, raising 3600 bird is full time job. You can't do other things, except you employ some hand.
By the time you start adding other personal expenses, house rent, feeding and family, it might not be a money spinner as portrayed.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by esiri4jesu(m): 9:12pm On Aug 28, 2017
sirugos:
bros its a lie. There is possibility that u can not get a complete nutrient needed for the maximum production of the birds.
Have you tried it and you did not achieve the complete nutrient?
All the raw materieals needed to get a complete nutrient are available just get your calculation right.
The op is doing a great job let us encourage and support him.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by galaxy15(m): 9:17pm On Aug 28, 2017
iwillrejoice:

Hello OP, great job here , well done may GoD's blessing be upon your business. I can see that you have done your research and analysis thoroughly. Growing up, we had a poultry too and it was family run. Did you say Chick costs 1500, mehn things have changed O...back then in 95,96,97, Chicks (layers) was abt 200-300 each. I can also see from your excel sheet that you have zero mortality, that's impressive, I guess is due to the species, the vaccination, and a very clean and neat poultry that you run. Diseases and infections rapidly multiply in dirty environments. Good job and keep us updated on the returns.

Bro he didn't say the chicks cost 1,500 he said point of lay that's 17wks old or thereabout.

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 9:18pm On Aug 28, 2017
sonnie10:

Where Will the money for daily feeding come from? @ 3500 × 16 = 56000
i

Before venturing into this poultry stuff,the guy would have done a Business case/analysis which will indicate whether to go ahead with the result gotten the profitability index analysis which should be >1 but not less than 1? And more so the guy is using excel to track his business and if you know more of financial modeling the feeding aspect would have been incorporated into the analysis.

No sane graduate/Startup will drop N7.5M down and not do thou rugs business case analysis.remember the guy did not buy 3day or 1 week old chicks which would have cost more in feeding them till time they start laying eggs

I believe I have been able to explain myself sir!

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 28, 2017
sonnie10:

Thanks for this input. Honestly I do not know a thing about poultry but just computing figures based on the numbers flying around here. However, that does mean that I don't know the prices of a crate of egg , feed or old layer in the market.

Trust me, raising 3600 bird is full time job. You can't do other things, except you employ some hand.
By the time you start adding other personal expenses, house rent, feeding and family, it might not be a money spinner as portrayed.

Claps at this comment Trust me, raising 3600 bird is full time job. You can't do other things, except you employ some hand.

THIS MAN IS WISE FOLLOW HIM PLEASE
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by takenadoh: 9:21pm On Aug 28, 2017
sonnie10:

yes I am saying that 16 bags daily will reduce greatly since they will stop growing when they attain 1.5kg but indeed the profit isn't as high as anticipated because of what he is spending on the feed , he should look for a way to make it 2k maximum and probably 12bags max.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 9:24pm On Aug 28, 2017
sonnie10:

3,600 isn't too much anyway..but it's so full time that if there's a break, God forbid....chai..
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by monchazfarms: 9:29pm On Aug 28, 2017
@ OP,first of all,I salute your courage.Secondly,I want to criticize and as well pass some vital information /advice to you because that's what you need to become stronger and resilient in your chosen business and I'm doing so because I'm also into the business and has a little advice to offer.

I'll criticise you on the following:
1.You shouldn't have started with point of lay birds if you're a first timer because poultry business is a practical one which requires first hand information and starting with older birds won't let you have the experience you need.

2.Most point of lay birds aren't given the complete and required vaccination and this has a tendency to affect the birds in future if your source is unreliable

3.From your analysis,you started this business this August and that tells you're unaware of the market trends before tasting the depth of the river with both legs: there has been egg glut (excess egg production) in the market since February this year up till now,the worse of its kind.

4.Be ready to battle with any disease(s)/ virus associated with the farm you rented if you didn't fumigate and disinfect the farm before bringing in your birds.

5.Your birds were supposed to attain 1.5kg or 1,500g at 18 or 19 weeks,this implies that your birds weren't properly fed by the sellers/brooders and this might affect the overall performance of your birds.

6.Your choice of business is good,but your timing is wrong.

Now,take these advise:

1.Keep on giving those birds growers until you attain 50% production,it might sound so ridiculous,but it worked for me.This' to enable you have a better uniformity and also allow those lagging behind to attain sexual maturity.If you start giving them layers feed,lots of your birds might not lay.

2.Give them sangrovit @ the recommended dosage for two weeks.

3.Give them viracid and also spray it all around your pen.This sanitizes the evironment and and takes care of virus,bacteria and protozoa;it's very good.

4.Start looking for customers and ask God for divine direction.

5.Always sanitize their drinking water with Isochlor,but don't vaccinate them with sanitized water.E-coli is a deadly water bourne disease that could kill all your birds if you don't pay close attention to their water.

6.Finally,the Lord is your strenght.I admire your courage.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Godsp4k(m): 9:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
strangeland:
27/08/2017 @ 23 weeks old bird weight is 1,449 grams growth of 130 grams.
We are getting close to the target weight of 1500 grams for the age of the birds
26/08/17 = 18 eggs
We have to exercise a bit of patience

That’s up to date now, if there is enough interest in this post I would continue with updates.

* I have moved this topic from food to agriculture after someone pointed out to me that I had it under the wrong headings
From now on i would update this topic only from here
Thanks
This is really a very big investment. wanted to go into something like this but the capital is very huge... well done it's no easy.... very well detailed data expensive info.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

How to Build A Grasscutter Cage / Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria / Somebody Poisoned Our Farm.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.