Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,307 members, 7,836,333 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (59096 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / My Poultry Farming Experience! / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by iwillrejoice: 7:05pm On Aug 28, 2017
strangeland:
27/08/2017 @ 23 weeks old bird weight is 1,449 grams growth of 130 grams.
We are getting close to the target weight of 1500 grams for the age of the birds
26/08/17 = 18 eggs
We have to exercise a bit of patience

That’s up to date now, if there is enough interest in this post I would continue with updates.

* I have moved this topic from food to agriculture after someone pointed out to me that I had it under the wrong headings
From now on i would update this topic only from here
Thanks

Hello OP, great job here , well done may GoD's blessing be upon your business. I can see that you have done your research and analysis thoroughly. Growing up, we had a poultry too and it was family run. Did you say Chick costs 1500, mehn things have changed O...back then in 95,96,97, Chicks (layers) was abt 200-300 each. I can also see from your excel sheet that you have zero mortality, that's impressive, I guess is due to the species, the vaccination, and a very clean and neat poultry that you run. Diseases and infections rapidly multiply in dirty environments. Good job and keep us updated on the returns.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by iwillrejoice: 7:06pm On Aug 28, 2017
A47yo:
Instead of you buying feeds, why don't you try to look for a way to formulate the feeds urself, with dat u ll cut cost n even make more prlofit thru feeds sales.
This is a very good suggestion OP I think you should consider it. Saves cost and you get good quality feed. Once you get it right, you are good to go.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by LC14052016: 7:07pm On Aug 28, 2017
Bbm me my pin is 2BC590D0
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by LC14052016: 7:11pm On Aug 28, 2017
iwillrejoice:

This is a very good suggestion OP I think you should consider it. Saves cost and you get good quality feed. Once you get it right, you are good to go.
possible only if cost implication has been fashioned into the project from onset. Otherwise........proceed with status quo and focus on what matters most now.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by rockheartbenny(m): 7:25pm On Aug 28, 2017
Somoladjnr:
Sir, I must say u av really taken a bold step,
Cos I know what it takes to do this.
*Just try as much as possible nt to relent as u've started really well.
*Maintain high level of biosecurity.
*Pls do not be in a haste to change to layer mash until they achieve 5-10% production .
*Then if u must formulate ur ration as suggested, pls do a proximate analysis of ur ingredients and overall feeds, also do not feed all the birds with the formulated feeds at initial, u can divide them into treatments and compare their performance b4 taking final decision,as self feeds milling has shut down so many farms.
*Lastly, put in your best in maintaining the health n production status of your birds.
U can contact me if u need a competent hand cos I av good n vibrant poultry consultants in epe axis as well.
God will crown ur effort I pray ...
Cheers!

Please I think I have suddenly got interest in this business... I want a full guide on a start up with say 2-3m outside rent. I stay in Abia state.
Someone help
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by vezycash(m): 7:33pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:

With 7.5M , we can even groom 500,000 birds if properly planned

So you'll spend only 15 naira on food? There is God o
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by sonnie10: 7:34pm On Aug 28, 2017
The maths does not add up, to make profit
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by chris31(m): 7:37pm On Aug 28, 2017
Hello Nairalanders PH branch i need u guys help i just relocated to ph having completed my Nysc anyone that is willing to offer me a job i will so much appreciate.....God bless u guys
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 28, 2017
what a great job!
may God bless the work of your hands.
I want to invest in this business soon
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by vezycash(m): 7:39pm On Aug 28, 2017
Chinks:
what some of us failed to understand is that, this man spent some cash on what he shouldn't have spent on. For instance, debeaking, vaccination, etc because he paid those who did all that for him which ordinarily, he ought to have carried out himself if only he has the skills. If he had raised the birds from DOC, I bet, he would have saved more money.

This is poor man thinking.

Rich men would rather spend money than spend their own time doing something. He's got the cash so why not?

Besides, he's saved time buy buying the older birds. He would have had much more trouble and more deaths if he'd started earlier.

Now that he's seeing fast results, he's sure to be motivated if he starts with day old chicks later.

4 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by takenadoh: 7:45pm On Aug 28, 2017
sonnie10:
The maths does not add up, to make profit

Which maths doesn't add up?

There are 3500 birds

Assuming the birds produce 1 egg per day, lets say 3200 birds *30days/30 (crate) and you sell each crate for 600, so 3200*600 =1.9 M*12 ~~ 23M in one year if we assuming running cost and feed for the year to be 5M +7.5M spent the OP should see a profit of at least 8-11M in one year, that assuming everything goes as planned and he can sell the birds when they reach maturity 3000*1000 = 3M

So the maths adds up, remember there are 3k5 birds but i used 3k2 deliberately and foe reselling of birds i used 3k instead of 3k5.

10 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by vezycash(m): 7:47pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:

Google assertive bro

I don't talk people down...It's an enviable business...I admire and respect the op..I'm not talking him down never...God forbid..

To put it straight, i mean with 7.5M you can invest and create a very big poultry, this is the true and explicit information i wanted to convey

In fact I see him succeeding..He's doing one key thing right...which most poultry farmers don't do before they close up...not just poultry farmer...He's keeping data....data is key to success in poultry..

I like what you'e said. One thing i hate is, "You should have."

Most people will are all talk. He's started. And he's seeing quick signs of results. He might not make his investment back. Who cares?

Now, he's got real world experience. And the next time, he'll know where to reduce his expense.

A few people here, recommend that he make his own feed. I'm certain these people only have second / third hand experience with poultry. Yet, they sit back in their houses and spew forth "expert" advice.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 28, 2017
vezycash:

Most people will are all talk. He's started. And he's seeing quick signs of results. He might not make his investment back. Who cares?

Now, he's got real world experience. And the next time, he'll know where to reduce his expense.

A few people here, recommend that he make his own feed. I'm certain these people only have second / third hand experience with poultry. Yet, they sit back in their houses and spew forth "expert" advice.

Well taken...Will learn to be the better man next time..thanks bro

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 28, 2017
vezycash:

But i don't recall advising anyone, but airing my objectives as is expected of an open forum...and i don't condemn anyone's experiences neither do i just sit at home..neither do i judge anyone based on my monopolistic ideas..i owe it to myself to hve an opinion and express it without conservatism...
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 28, 2017
strangeland:
27/08/2017 @ 23 weeks old bird weight is 1,449 grams growth of 130 grams.
We are getting close to the target weight of 1500 grams for the age of the birds
26/08/17 = 18 eggs
We have to exercise a bit of patience

That’s up to date now, if there is enough interest in this post I would continue with updates.

* I have moved this topic from food to agriculture after someone pointed out to me that I had it under the wrong headings
From now on i would update this topic only from here
Thanks

7.5 million as. initial investment on a fragile business which is actually a business u have not done before
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 28, 2017
vezycash:

So you'll spend only 15 naira on food? There is God o

Just an analogy, moreso...i apologized to anyone i offended with my comment...7.5M isn't child's play..I respect the op..big time
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by DaV8King(m): 7:52pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:
You invested 7.5 Million in poultry? Am i seeing well? Why invest 7.5M in poultry bro?
Bros, when all 3,500 birds( assuming no addition or deaths) are laying just 1 egg each, his approx N200k daily credit alert will now be looking like blood money to you.

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nukualofa: 7:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
Bobbieydeey:
Do Shed more Light Biko . . . I Have That Amount currently
send me pm lemme connect you with my friend
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Chinks(m): 7:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
vezycash:

This is poor man thinking.

Rich men would rather spend money than spend their own time doing something. He's got the cash so why not?

Besides, he's saved time buy buying the older birds. He would have had much more trouble and more deaths if he'd started earlier.

Now that he's seeing fast results, he's sure to be motivated if he starts with day old chicks later.
poor man thinking you said!!! Well, I won't join issues with you. So, because he wants to save time, he shouldn't know how to carry out some basic activities on his farm. He also said that he spent 108k on a " middleman" which ordinarily, he would have been connected for free if he had understudied 1-2 established farms. I really give kudos to the boss for his boldness. But you, I don't think you know anything about poultry business. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by vezycash(m): 7:54pm On Aug 28, 2017
lucrownt:
I'm impressed to see this on Nairaland, by the way you ought to have diversified your investment. God forbid bad thing, we are all aware that chickens are prone to several illnesses particularly flu. Did you know that with that 7.5m you can earn a Geometric Progression pattern income.. Let's say you invested 2m in poultry, 2m in cash crop farming, 2m in stocks/shares or treasury bills and 1.5m in fishing, then you have portfolio of investments in which a low risk in one investment will cover for the higher risk in another.. Though the higher the risk the higher the return..
God bless your hustle sir

Yeah right. I'm sure you wouldn't mention crop farming if you have actually done it. Stocks are gamble plain and simple.

As for fishing, do you mean he buy his own boat or engage in fish farming?

As my uncle says, too many spoon in the pot makes the soup sour.

Asking a new business man to engage in 4 activities is bad advice to say the least.

I only hope that he has at least 10 million in the bank account to bounce back is something should happen. Aside from that, I've got no complaints.

3 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2017
Yes that is the figure, like you said it is an investment, you don't get it back on day one or day 30.
Patience bro, patience
supersystemsng:
You invested 7.5 Million in poultry? Am i seeing well? Why invest 7.5M in poultry bro?

4 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2017
You are so right there
sirugos:
bros its a lie. There is possibility that u can not get a complete nutrient needed for the maximum production of the birds.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2017
DaV8King:

Bros, when all 3,500 birds( assuming no addition or deaths) are laying just 1 egg each, his approx N200k daily credit alert will now be looking like blood money to you.

I worked in a poultry for real life experience..we had 50,000 birds, each day we transported a full bus of hiace to Lagos...over 500 crates daily...its big time money, poultry is best with big money like the op, or small money but not in between. The op is a game banger...i respect him abeg

5 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Pelebabaagba(m): 7:56pm On Aug 28, 2017
deji17:
OP, sorry I don't mean to pry, but it will be interesting to know how you raised the capital? Savings, inheritance or bank loans?

Me too.. This is always what I'm interested in.. Your source of CAPITAL.. A lot of bright ideas.. But no money.

And if you ask dem already made men.. All they tell you is.. "It been God"..

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 7:56pm On Aug 28, 2017
Exactly, well said thanks
Integrityfarms:

Is it a waste? Did the money go down the drain? Do you have a better business plan for the op? Or are you trying to be mischievous?
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 28, 2017
strangeland:
Yes that is the figure, like you said it is an investment, you don't get it back on day one or day 30.
Patience bro, patience

Bros sorry if i disrespected you oh..abeg bros make i pull cap...you na man abeg..you na man.. in two years people will accuse you of blood money IJN....i celebrate your greatness, may it flow to me too Amen..I receive it..nice work Sir..God Bless...

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 7:59pm On Aug 28, 2017
Thanks, I wanted to give actual figures to show actual cost
my birds are 3,500 so if you want to start with 500 or 5,000 you use my experience as a guide on how much the biz needs to start and run
naijahut:
I must say you have done well. The only reasonable achievement I have seen on nairaland

3 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:01pm On Aug 28, 2017
True i wish the same
deji17:
Good job bro and great feed back. Wish Nigerian politicians that we voted are this accountable. There will be more trust in Govt.

3 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by tommynico(m): 8:03pm On Aug 28, 2017
This is one territory I dream of intruding, I so much love the business. May God increase you in folds bro, no flu shall come near your pen in Jesus name. But this money hefty ooooo...4.9 milla!
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:04pm On Aug 28, 2017
The cost of good 17 weeks old birds is N1,400
So if you want a 500 birds that's already that is already 700,000 before feeding and meds
Valindazz:
Bro, I intend starting up with 1m by January, guide me rightly pls.. Is it enough?

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangeland: 8:05pm On Aug 28, 2017
Thanks bro, it is an intense initial investment
maklelemakukula:
I"m praying for your business op, nice one. I wouldnt have guessed starting up this business would have been this expensive. I pray you make maximum profits. Go on youtube and checkout videos that would be beneficial to your business. Oluwa guide you

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by sonnie10: 8:07pm On Aug 28, 2017
takenadoh:

Which maths doesn't add up?

There are 3500 birds

Assuming the birds produce 1 egg per day, lets say 3200 birds *30days/30 (crate) and you sell each crate for 600, so 3200*600 =1.9 M*12 ~~ 23M in one year if we assuming running cost and feed for the year to be 5M +7.5M spent the OP should see a profit of at least 8-11M in one year, that assuming everything goes as planned and he can sell the birds when they reach maturity 3000*1000 = 3M

So the maths adds up, remember there are 3k5 birds but i used 3k2 deliberately and foe reselling of birds i used 3k instead of 3k5.
I was actually waiting for this type of calculation. It still has a lot of loophole.
First , a crate of egg is 30 piece not one dozen. The maximum crates of eggs would be 120.
600 × 120 is #72000 [daily imcome]
16 × 3500 is 56000 (feed)

Only 16000 left for other expenses?

Even if the poultry is self sustaining at this point, the maths does not still add up for profit.

Let assume he has zero mortality at the end, when they stop layering egg.

Selling the hen @ 2000 would give him only #7.2M. This less than the amout invested

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How to Build A Grasscutter Cage / Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria / Somebody Poisoned Our Farm.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.