Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,281 members, 7,829,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (59041 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / My Poultry Farming Experience! / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by sonnie10: 9:37pm On Aug 28, 2017
Flaghouse1:
i

Before venturing into this poultry stuff,the guy would have done a Business case/analysis which will indicate whether to go ahead with the result gotten the profitability index analysis which should be >1 but not less than 1? And more so the guy is using excel to track his business and if you know more of financial modeling the feeding aspect would have been incorporated into the analysis.

No sane graduate/Startup will drop N7.5M down and not do thou rugs business case analysis.remember the guy did not buy 3day or 1 week old chicks which would have cost more in feeding them till time they start laying eggs

I believe I have been able to explain myself sir!
Thanks. Just that you have only presented a general idea of breaking even. No specifics. It fails to show how profit would be made to encourage people like us who have interest in any profit making venture.
I already have a lot of hobbies., so I am only poking around for things to make money. This one is not impressive enough so far.

If you go to the program sharks tank and tell them that you are a graduate, you use excel and you have passion for what you do, that would never be enough to cut a deal.

You must be able to show them the money to get a deal.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by fakati(m): 9:38pm On Aug 28, 2017
Wish you the best bro

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by imustsaymymindo: 10:04pm On Aug 28, 2017
Flaghouse1:

Nice, would be happy you showcase finished work for us to see and those interested in poultry farming will engage you ,farming has gone empirical these day

I would show it when i'm done. I dont just want to make the application and upload it on an online store. I want to have documentations on it including user manuals, installation discs and all that so it would be professional.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Dnice247(m): 10:16pm On Aug 28, 2017
nyc 1 bro. Buh i have dis drug i wuld love u 2 try by name CHICK-ON is an herbal base no side effect..... My contact if u re interested 07062130267..... Bro wit dis drug u wil kip tnking as long as u remain in poultry business....tnx
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Happyfellow147: 10:18pm On Aug 28, 2017
How can you say there's egg glut when egg price increased to #50 from #30?
I'm asking for learning purpose please
monchazfarms:
@ OP,first of all,I salute your courage.Secondly,I want to critisizee and aa well pass some vital information /advice to you because that's what you need to become stronger and resilient in your chosen business and I'm doing so because I'm also into the business and has a little advice to offer.

I'll critisize you on the following:
1.You shouldn't have started with point of lay birds if you're a first timer because poultry business is a practical one which requires first hand information and starting with older birds won't let you have the experience you need.

2.Most point of lay birds aren't given the complete and required vaccination and this has a tendency to affect the birds in future if your source is unreliable

3.From your analysis,you started this business this August and that tells you're unaware of the market trends before tasting the depth of the river with both legs: there has been egg glut (excess egg production) in the market since February this year up till now,the worse of its kind.

4.Be ready to battle with any disease(s)/ virus associated with the farm you rented if you didn't fumigate and disinfect the farm before bringing in your birds.

5.Your birds were supposed to attain 1.5kg or 1,500g at 18 or 19 weeks,this implies that your birds weren't properly fed by the sellers/brooders and this might affect the overall performance of your birds.

6.Your choice of business is good,but your timing is wrong.

Now,take these advise:

1.Keep on giving those birds growers until you attain 50% production,it might sound so ridiculous,but it worked for me.This' to enable you have a better uniformity and also allow those lagging behind to attain sexual maturity.If you start giving them layers feed,lots of your birds might not lay.

2.Give them sangrovit @ the recommended dosage for two weeks.

3.Give them viracid and also spray it all around your pen.This sanitizes the evironment and and takes care of virus,bacteria and protozoa;it's very good.

4.Start looking for customers and ask God for divine direction.

5.Always sanitize their drinking water with Isochlor,but don't vaccinate them with sanitized water.E-coli is a deadly water bourne disease that could kill all your birds if you don't pay close attention to their water.

6.Finally,the Lord is your strenght.I admire your courage.

8 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Somoladjnr(m): 10:36pm On Aug 28, 2017
K
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Somoladjnr(m): 10:43pm On Aug 28, 2017
rockheartbenny:

Please I think I have suddenly got interest in this business... I want a full guide on a start up with say 2-3m outside rent. I stay in Abia state.
Someone help

Well sir, poultry business is not a rocket science, all it needs is interest, perseverance, & proper supervision under the watch of an expert.
First try to decide wic poultry venture u are going into (meat or table egg production).
Then other things may be decided afterwards.
Cheers!
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by vezycash(m): 10:46pm On Aug 28, 2017
monchazfarms:
@ OP,first of all,I salute your courage.Secondly,I want to critisizee and aa well pass some vital information /advice to you because that's what you need to become stronger and resilient in your chosen business and I'm doing so because I'm also into the business and has a little advice to offer.

1.You shouldn't have started with point of lay birds if you're a first timer because poultry business is a practical one which requires first hand information and starting with older birds won't let you have the experience you need.

2.Most point of lay birds aren't given the complete and required vaccination and this has a tendency to affect the birds in future if your source is unreliable

3.From your analysis,you started this business this August and that tells you're unaware of the market trends before tasting the depth of the river with both legs: there has been egg glut (excess egg production) in the market since February this year up till now,the worse of its kind.

4.Be ready to battle with any disease(s)/ virus associated with the farm you rented if you didn't fumigate and disinfect the farm before bringing in your birds.

5.Your birds were supposed to attain 1.5kg or 1,500g at 18 or 19 weeks,this implies that your birds weren't properly fed by the sellers/brooders and this might affect the overall performance of your birds.

Now,take these advise:

1.Keep on giving those birds growers until you attain 50% production,it might sound so ridiculous,but it worked for me.This' to enable you have a better uniformity and also allow those lagging behind to attain sexual maturity.If you start giving them layers feed,lots of your birds might not lay.

3.Give them viracid and also spray it all around your pen.This sanitizes the evironment and and takes care of virus,bacteria and protozoa;it's very good.

5.Always sanitize their drinking water with Isochlor,but don't vaccinate them with sanitized water.E-coli is a deadly water bourne disease that could kill all your birds if you don't pay close attention to their water.

Best advice here.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by monchazfarms: 10:46pm On Aug 28, 2017
Happyfellow147:
How can you say there's egg glut when egg price increased to #50 from #30?
I'm asking for learning purpose please

Consumers still buy at 50 naira.Producers sell cheaper while whole sellers and retailers make all the money due to excess egg chuned out on daily basis by producers.Cost of production is still high,while price on the producer's side remains constant due to market and economic dynamics.

Glut happens when there's excess egg in the market and producers are being forced to sell at a lower price;you know eggs are perishable.This'controlled by two factors:the greedy distributors who wants to make more money than the producers and the consumers who has a lower purchasing power due to lack of money.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by JBosco123(m): 11:04pm On Aug 28, 2017
Am inspired even though I don't have such amount of money you've invested into this project.

May the good lord reward you with bountiful harvest! congratulations... see you at the top.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by tommynico(m): 11:08pm On Aug 28, 2017
I seek your opinions on these two ventures; which is more profitable? Poultry farming and supermarket.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by sonnie10: 11:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
tommynico:
I seek your opinions on these two ventures; which is more profitable? Poultry farming and supermarket.

On supermarket, the money is mostly on those very little stuff you can't account for. For example, sweet, chewing gums, sachet stuffs , retail pieces of articles etc. Those things you can't account for or better put, you won't have the time to count them on daily or weekly bases

Why I am taking the time to dwell on this little part? That is the part that drains capital slowly but massively in supermarket business . The point is, if you can't account for them and you entrust someone as a shopkeeper, they take advantage.
They sell those things and pocket the money. You will never know until it's too late.

Except you want to be there by yourself which would not allow time to go for shopping to restock. In a place like Lagos, to and fro major market with traffic is a lot.

Customers would come and see your shop locked, that is a no, no. It must be up and running during business hours. It shows seriousness and plays into customers psyche.

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by alstacs(m): 11:51pm On Aug 28, 2017
lucrownt:
I'm impressed to see this on Nairaland, by the way you ought to have diversified your investment. God forbid bad thing, we are all aware that chickens are prone to several illnesses particularly flu. Did you know that with that 7.5m you can earn a Geometric Progression pattern income.. Let's say you invested 2m in poultry, 2m in cash crop farming, 2m in stocks/shares or treasury bills and 1.5m in fishing, then you have portfolio of investments in which a low risk in one investment will cover for the higher risk in another.. Though the higher the risk the higher the return..
God bless your hustle sir

the assumptions of most people here are that ,
1. He invested all he had on this.
2. All he had was the 7.5mil and he's probably broke now and miserable.
3. He doesn't have other investments like the TBILLS, cash crops etc.

The issues here are , we need to know that for a man to invest close to 10 mil on this kind of business, he knows what he's doing.
when we advise him to go into cash crop farming, where will he get the land from? does he know anything about it?
sorry those points of mine are simplistic but I'm only trying to let us know the man knows what he's doing and we should enourage and learn from him.

4 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by alstacs(m): 11:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:

You think i didn't drop any advice because you didnt read patiently Sir...

I have written books and won't sell them...

I said over capitalization will force funds into experimentation rather than spend them on other outlets that would impact the business significantly..

My advice to every person going into business is the same, whatever amount you wish to invest, save half, invest just half...

and you actually assume he doesn't have 20 mil and only invested 7.5mil out of it?

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by alstacs(m): 11:54pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:

As an entrepreneur that has started many stuffs here and there, whose last business crashed a while back, i can say don't fall for the negativities....do your research work and shoot...playing risk isn't cool...go for it...
I love this...
He who observes the weather will never plant
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Rapsino(m): 12:23am On Aug 29, 2017
Am motivated, for real
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Helpfromabove(m): 1:32am On Aug 29, 2017
monchazfarms:

Now,take these advise:

Honest advice from an experienced poultry farmer and If I may add you are using a three layers Cage and looking at the height of the pen house from the picture you might have heat challenges with the birds on the top layer of the Cage during the dry season
I really satute your courage and bravely but the truth is you are not a farmer but investor and a bold one but please get close to Farmers for advice and try to get a farm manager with lots of experience and that is very truthful
Poultry farming can give you good returns and can also do otherwise
Buying point of lay is not really a good decision and I can never advice anyone on that part because of it's inhenrent risk coupled with the the fact that you rent a pen house
Also pay attention to your feed
If you are still on growers mash keep to it till you achieve around 50 percent but if you change to layer YOU HAVE TO KEEP TO IT CHANGING BACK THEIR FEED TO GROWERS MASH WILL AFFECT THIER SYSTEM
I guess this is the little I can add for now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by idreezbaba(m): 4:15am On Aug 29, 2017
This Happens when you don't have a degree in Agriculture ..Us that are are studying for five years.. You think it's a waste?
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Gemc3(f): 4:50am On Aug 29, 2017
This is a great investment. You document very well too. I know your business will grow so big. Kudos.

I'm following closely.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Shadownc: 5:26am On Aug 29, 2017
My brother, this is very good. I've also been in the business for about 5 years now, though not on this scale. Can you kindly send those progress charts to me via emanc2003@yahoo.co.uk? I'd really love to be in touch with you. Regards
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by vezycash(m): 6:56am On Aug 29, 2017
idreezbaba:
This Happens when you don't have a degree in Agriculture ..Us that are are studying for five years.. You think it's a waste?

YES
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 29, 2017
alstacs:

and you actually assume he doesn't have 20 mil and only invested 7.5mil out of it?

Who am i to assume...that business robs its owner of sleep jare
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by mecussey(m): 8:22am On Aug 29, 2017
dominique:
Phew! That's a lot of cash invested so far. May it yield profits in multiples.

I tell you..just wish i have this kind of cash. Dreams keep going obsolete due to lack of cash at hand.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Herelefant(m): 8:27am On Aug 29, 2017
idreezbaba:

Yes, it's a waste for most. Most will never have a substantial farm of their own.

Not you, most. So do not get offended darling. Or better yet, do, precious.

You do not have to spend 5 years in a university ranked ?? in the world (UI is our torch/standard bearer).

Now go to any university in the states....nah, scrap that....just fucking read, and learn about whatever your hobby or business idea is.

That simple. Kids in different countries have tried 'home steading' with 6-24 layers, to provide eggs for their families and neighbours. It's fact....some even add pigs to it.

Point is, not everyone has 5 years to waste....also, not everyone has a 9ja mindset.

7 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Emjay1310(m): 8:57am On Aug 29, 2017
strangeland:
I am posting my experience so that people interested in farming can have actually figures of how much you need to invest, the patience require, the trust, the prayers, the risk and all other factors.
You can learn from this positively or negatively, I hope it is positive.
Sure, its definitely a positive one. Your story/experience will go a long way in shaping how some of us will start too.
I was into it at a very small scale where I put broiler chicks about 100. I made gains from sales of almost 90% of what I spent since all the facilities and equipments were available for me.
I will certainly follow ur post. I was blessed by the post yesterday.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 29, 2017
Helpfromabove:

Honest advice from an experienced poultry farmer and If I may add you are using a three layers Cage and looking at the height of the pen house from the picture you might have heat challenges with the birds on the top layer of the Cage during the dry season
I really satute your courage and bravely but the truth is you are not a farmer but investor and a bold one but please get close to Farmers for advice and try to get a farm manager with lots of experience and that is very truthful
Poultry farming can give you good returns and can also do otherwise
Buying point of lay is not really a good decision and I can never advice anyone on that part because of it's inhenrent risk coupled with the the fact that you rent a pen house
Also pay attention to your feed
If you are still on growers mash keep to it till you achieve around 50 percent but if you change to layer YOU HAVE TO KEEP TO IT CHANGING BACK THEIR FEED TO GROWERS MASH WILL AFFECT THIER SYSTEM
I guess this is the little I can add for now

Well said
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by idreezbaba(m): 9:54am On Aug 29, 2017
Herelefant:

Yes, it's a waste for most. Most will never have a substantial farm of their own.

Not you, most. So do not get offended darling. Or better yet, do, precious.

You do not have to spend 5 years in a university ranked ?? in the world (UI is our torch/standard bearer).

Now go to any university in the states....nah, scrap that....just fucking read, and learn about whatever your hobby or business idea is.

That simple. Kids in different countries have tried 'home steading' with 6-24 layers, to provide eggs for their families and neighbours. It's fact....some even add pigs to it.

Point is, not everyone has 5 years to waste....also, not everyone has a 9ja mindset.
I am a 300level student of the prestigious university Obafemi Awolowo University.. I wouldn't deny the fact that we hardly engage in practical in our country.. Our lecturers are only concerned with us cramming and pouring it back to them.. but even after all this I wouldn't still say I am wasting my five years in school.. The knowledge I will have after these five years can't be compared to someone who is just doing agric to survive In this hard economy

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangelandd: 1:07pm On Aug 29, 2017
Sorry guys I was banned for sharing figures of my experience, apparently someone reported me for disclosing these figures, someone who does not want us all to learn from this.
I am posting with this mirrored acc
If I get banned again I might have to limit or even stop the information I share on here.
Thanks for all the advice and criticism am sure we are all learning from it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangelandd: 1:08pm On Aug 29, 2017
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, bless up
otunbakolawole:
Every business is risky, based on your level of education on such business. I (personally) don't fancy poultry but I must say I am impressed with the write ups, pictures data collection and the entire project presention as presented here by the OP. I want you to know that I sent this link to my friend to encourage him in this poultry business path, as he was a bit discouraged citing rain, weather and all sorts. God bless you sir and make this business profitable and a great success.

As for the yeye consultant that wants to raise 300,000 birds with 7.5mill I wish you success. Its a shame when fellow Nigerians thrive on pulling down one another, if you don't have anything positive to say, because of all the negativity in you, why not skip to the next topic. You wonder what kind of life some live, its a disaster! Here I read some say he could have played pool or lotto, he could have done this or that. Sure he could have but he didn't, instead he did what he thought was best in a fine way I must say, and not only that he came here and showed us all. Some can't even account for their breakfast expense this morning, yet the hide behind a screen with the pull down syndrome. Check yourselves and Change! If the foundation is faulty, you have a disaster waiting to happen in your hands.

Op, great respect for you. Thank you for sharing and God bless.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 29, 2017
otunbakolawole:
Every business is risky, based on your level of education on such business. I (personally) don't fancy poultry but I must say I am impressed with the write ups, pictures data collection and the entire project presention as presented here by the OP. I want you to know that I sent this link to my friend to encourage him in this poultry business path, as he was a bit discouraged citing rain, weather and all sorts. God bless you sir and make this business profitable and a great success.

As for the yeye consultant that wants to raise 300,000 birds with 7.5mill I wish you success. Its a shame when fellow Nigerians thrive on pulling down one another, if you don't have anything positive to say, because of all the negativity in you, why not skip to the next topic. You wonder what kind of life some live, its a disaster! Here I read some say he could have played pool or lotto, he could have done this or that. Sure he could have but he didn't, instead he did what he thought was best in a fine way I must say, and not only that he came here and showed us all. Some can't even account for their breakfast expense this morning, yet the hide behind a screen with the pull down syndrome. Check yourselves and Change! If the foundation is faulty, you have a disaster waiting to happen in your hands.

Op, great respect for you. Thank you for sharing and God bless.

Playing holier than thou... Thrive on pulling each other down...Indeed May God forgive you....Read how i congratulated the op over and over before you read your ill feelings into harmless opinions...
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2017
strangelandd:
Sorry guys I was banned for sharing figures of my experience, apparently someone reported me for disclosing these figures, someone who does not want us all to learn from this.
I am posting with this mirrored acc
If I get banned again I might have to limit or even stop the information I share on here.
Thanks for all the advice and criticism am sure we are all learning from it.

When the MODS see a high flyer that's how they ban..i've been banned for similar reasons in the past....You're doing an excellent work. The Lord is your strength...I wish you the best of luck moving forward...there's much to learn from this....hope you have more space for expansion as your business grows Sir

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by strangelandd: 1:23pm On Aug 29, 2017
We i asked various framer managers for their birds seller connect, they were unwilling to give up that information for free. So what do I do, pay for the connect and next time i want to buy the birds i have direct access to the connect. I think that makes sense.
Chinks:
poor man thinking you said!!! Well, I won't join issues with you. So, because he wants to save time, he shouldn't know how to carry out some basic activities on his farm. He also said that he spent 108k on a " middleman" which ordinarily, he would have been connected for free if he had understudied 1-2 established farms. I really give kudos to the boss for his boldness. But you, I don't think you know anything about poultry business. I rest my case.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

How to Build A Grasscutter Cage / Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria / Somebody Poisoned Our Farm.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.