Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,985 members, 7,828,485 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC (1500 Views)

COVID-19: Taraba Government Rejects 100 Almajiris From Nasarawa State / Jigawa Receives 76 Almajiris From Gombe State, Rejects 7 / Kano Governor, Ganduje Raises Alarm Over Almajiris (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by omusiliyu(m): 12:31pm On Aug 31, 2017
Prof. Abdalla Adamu, the Vice-Chancellor of National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) has said that Almajiris are not illiterates contrary to widely held view.

Adamu expressed this viewpoint while answering questions from newsmen at the sidelines of the opening ceremony of the 11th Edition of Literature in Northern Nigeria Conference on Monday in Abuja.

The theme of the 4-day conference being hosted by NOUN in collaboration with Kwara State University is “Literature and Contemporary Developments in Northern Nigeria.

Adamu said that one of the aims of the conference was to bring to the fore the fact that Northern Nigeria produced a huge mass of literature in indigenous languages.

According to Adamu, Northern Nigeria literature is about writing in local languages but majority of Nigerians think of literature only in English Language.

“Literacy goes beyond ability to read and write English; literacy is the ability to read and write inany language.“Examples of people who are literate and who aretaken for illiterates are the Almajiris. They are not just beggars; they are scholars; they have been sent from place to place to learn.

“Almajiris means somebody who moves from one place to another searching for knowledge. “They learn in Arabic and can read and write in Arabic; they can read and write Hausa language using Arabic scripts; they do not go western conventional schools, so they do not write ABCD,’’ he said.

The vice-chancellor said that Northern Nigeria scholars had been writing novels in indigenous languages as far back of as 1932 under British colonial tutelage.

Adamu said that another essence of the conference which had been going on for 11 years was to draw attention to thriving Northern Nigeria literature.

He regretted that most often, Northern Nigeria was judged in terms of performance in examination.

In his keynote address, Prof. emeritus, Graham Furniss, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, said that Hausa Language studies overseas had been in the decline in the US and Uk.

He said that the model currently established was built around strong and growing departments and research centres in Nigeria which were able to establish collaborative arrangements with centres abroad.

Furniss said that the collaborative model would be important for the future in order to maintain Hausa studies beyond West Africa.

“While research and publication in Hausa is now firmly anchored in Nigeria and Niger, with original studies being produced by new generations of MA and PhD students as established scholars, there is an emerging task that goes beyond the building of Hausa studies in Hausa.

“There is an international intellectual discourse about world literature, global trends in literary and cultural production that examines, for example, writing cultures in Indian sub-continent, in East Asia, in the Middle East.

“While there is an increasing amount of materials translated into Hausa, there is very little material translated out of Hausa, whether into English, French, or indeed into Yoruba, Igbo or nay other language,’’ he said.He said there was need to develop a body of the best writing translated out of Hausa.

The professor emeritus said that such body would make Hausa cultural production accessible on the international and national stage in a way that would help both to increase the interest in and knowledge of Hausa to oriental and international audience.

In his remark, the Emir of Suleja, Malam Muhammad Ibrahim, said that technology and social media had impacted negatively on students.

Ibrahim said that students spent a lot of time on browsing the social media to the detriment of meaningful studies and intellectualism.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/education/almajiris-are-scholars-not-beggars-vc/212068.html?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C8987905545
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by omusiliyu(m): 12:33pm On Aug 31, 2017
cc lalasticlala, mynd44, OAM4J, fynestboi
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by eezeribe(m): 12:39pm On Aug 31, 2017
They are not only scholars but professors... No wonder they are so enlightened and civilised... grin grin grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Vutseck(m): 12:42pm On Aug 31, 2017
I will only take these people serious when their elites start taken their children to almajiri schools

by the way, what skills are they acquiring in the so called almajiri schools

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 12:45pm On Aug 31, 2017
So sarrki my brother na scholar grin I see

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by RZArecta(m): 12:45pm On Aug 31, 2017
In Nigeria, almajiri's are scholars who go about begging and joining boko haram cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Hashimyussufamao(m): 12:46pm On Aug 31, 2017
a
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 31, 2017
eezeribe:
They are not only scholars but professors... No wonder people from that region are so enlightened and civilised... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by analyst14: 12:49pm On Aug 31, 2017
hahaha
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by SOFTENGR: 1:40pm On Aug 31, 2017
Does Prof Abdalla Adamu have a son who is an Almajiri?
If yes, I would agree with him.
If No, then, he's a hypocrite.

5 Likes

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Omeokachie: 2:10pm On Aug 31, 2017
Is that the sort of education they are giving to their own children?

How can this country make progress with such mindset?

5 Likes

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by EazyMoh(m): 2:35pm On Aug 31, 2017
Nice, proudly Almajiri.

2 Likes

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by MalcoImX: 2:41pm On Aug 31, 2017
eezeribe:
They are not only scholars but professors... No wonder people from that region are so enlightened and civilised... grin grin grin
The slaves to European culture take any Nigerian who can't read and write in European languages as illiterate. Surprisingly, they call the Almajiri (who can read and write in Arabic) illiterate, but they wouldn't dare call a Saudi, an Egyptian or a Kuwaiti an illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by MalcoImX: 2:47pm On Aug 31, 2017
SOFTENGR:
Does Prof Abdalla Adamu has a son who is an Almajiri?
If yes, I would agree with him.
If No, then, he's a hypocrite.
He may not necessarily have in the sense you view Almajiri. But what he's saying is that literacy should not be equated only with reading and writing in English, as our own case portrays.
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Chigold101(m): 2:48pm On Aug 31, 2017
Laugh no allow me to write

1 Like

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by eagleeye2: 2:59pm On Aug 31, 2017
After learning Arabic, what do they do?

2 Likes

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by SOFTENGR: 3:00pm On Aug 31, 2017
MalcoImX:
He may not necessarily have in the sense you view Almajiri. But what he's saying is that literacy should not be equated only with reading and writing in English, as our own case portrays.
I quite agree with that point. Literacy is not about reading n writing in English alone. But the fact is, the VC reads and writes in English. His wife and children do. He's a VC today, not because he reads and write in Arabic, but in English. As an academic, he knows the truth, but decides to cajole his people into believing they are okay once they read n write in Hausa or Arabic and not in our lingua franca.

1 Like

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by eagleeye2: 3:00pm On Aug 31, 2017
MalcoImX:
I agree.
But after learning Arabic, from their Mallam, what do they do next?

1 Like

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Nukualofa: 3:08pm On Aug 31, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:
So sarrki my brother na scholar grin I see

2 Likes

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Nukualofa: 3:09pm On Aug 31, 2017
MalcoImX:
Nonsense. These are Northern Literates

3 Likes

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Oracle16(m): 3:20pm On Aug 31, 2017
They learn Arabic as a weapon.... Oh na wah oh. Even their professor shocked

2 Likes

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by MalcoImX: 3:27pm On Aug 31, 2017
SOFTENGR:

I quite agree with that point. Literacy is not about reading n writing in English alone. But the fact is, the VC reads and writes in English. His wife and children do. He's a VC today, not because he reads and write in Arabic, but in English. As an academic, he knows the truth, but decides to cajole his people into believing they are okay once they read n write in Hausa or Arabic and not in our lingua franca.
That's not the case. He's trying to correct a misconception. The word Almajiri is an Arabic word which means one who seeks or searches knowledge, often in distant lands. The worst thing about it is that those who went to conventional schools and acquire degrees in Hausa or Arabic we don't dare call illiterates, but you find that those, especially, who studied Arabic outside the formal system could sometimes be more proficient in that field, but still are referred as illiterate.
I am currently grappling with this on a research I am engaged in. In my questionnaire, the entries for educational background mentions 1) Illiterate 2) Primary edu. 3) Sec edu and 4) Higher edu.
I thought it unfair that there are people who can read and write outside the formal arrangement and are labelled illiterate. I had thought of ways to accommodate that but couldn't find. My conscience won't go with the misperception but I had to leave it at that with the proviso (in my mind) that, that entry on illiteracy meant NOT educated in the WESTERN sense.
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by MalcoImX: 3:32pm On Aug 31, 2017
Nukualofa:
Nonsense. These are Northern Literates
And you are what they call 'educated illiterate.'

1 Like

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by positivelord: 3:33pm On Aug 31, 2017
na siddon look I dey
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Integrityfarms(m): 3:37pm On Aug 31, 2017
And who still think by now, that we deserve to be in the same nation with these people whose elites share a mentality full of hypocrisy and awkwardness.?

1 Like

Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by MalcoImX: 3:40pm On Aug 31, 2017
eagleeye2:

I agree.
But after learning Arabic, from their Mallam, what do they do next?
Some become Mallams, or businessmen. Others who've combined the studies with formal system can go on for higher education. and become great businessmen or government employees. Surprisingly, most of the rich men in northern Nigeria have in. one way or the other been Almajiri. I bet you that Dangotes dynasty and extended family have been Mallams and Almajiris.
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by oladeebo: 4:15pm On Aug 31, 2017
Omeokachie:
Is that the sort of education they are giving to their own children?

How can this country make progress with such mindset?

Ignorant!
apart from English, French, Arabic is the third Language in the world
It's the second international language in Nigeria.
I wonder why it wasn't included in our school curriculum!
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by MrMoney007: 5:00pm On Aug 31, 2017
Now I believe that some people's brain is just 1kb
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by omowolewa: 5:09pm On Aug 31, 2017
Prof has added another twist.

Instead of calling a spade a spade, hin say na agricultural tool.

He should tell us how many of the northern elites' children dey that school.
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Desyner: 5:17pm On Aug 31, 2017
Intellectual beggars indeed.
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by Omeokachie: 5:25pm On Aug 31, 2017
oladeebo:
Ignorant! apart from English, French, Arabic is the third Language in the world It's the second international language in Nigeria. I wonder why it wasn't included in our school curriculum!

This is why most of you are said to be unemployable.

Read the question and try again.
Re: Almajiris Are Scholars Not Beggars — VC by johnafangideh: 5:29pm On Aug 31, 2017
Report has it that the Vice Chancellor (VC) of the University of Calabar, Calabar (Unical), Prof. Zana Akapgu has been awarded “Best Performing” VC in Nigeria in the last one year by a London based news platform, ‘The Nigerian’ and the ‘Nigeria Print Journalism Magazine’.

https://greatlimited.com/best-vc-award-won-unical-vice-chancellor-zana/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Incumbent Gov. Of Anambra State, Obianno Withdraws From Poll. / President Muhammadu Buhari Sneakers To The Farm, THEN And NOW! / The Fulanisation Of Nigeria And The Perfidy Of The British (part 1)- By FFK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.