Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage (5426 Views)

We Must Cut N18,000 Minimum Wage Or Sack Workers — Governors / N18,000 Minimum Wage Though Not Enough, We Won't Slash Workers' Salary- Fayose / MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by gen2boi: 7:47pm On Feb 24, 2010
Are you guys crazy for saying 100,000NGN is too much monthly £400.00 what the heck
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by slimghost(m): 7:49pm On Feb 24, 2010
When half literate fools make millions in the name of politics, what an irony? am in full support.
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by Fhemmmy: 8:02pm On Feb 24, 2010
I will like to know the current minimum wage for the FG employee
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by agapeLuv1(m): 8:23pm On Feb 24, 2010
Ladies & gents we all know that due to the harsh economics realities we face daily from housing to education to food etc 100 k is not much compare to the same jobs even in some African nations, Anyway I don't have to work for the Govt nor anybody for that matter,I now stay at home with my lapi and earn 2 time that amount monthly, its well with the Nigeria workers is my Prayers, Amen
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by ochallo: 10:21pm On Feb 24, 2010
with goodluck on ground now he can actually make it so . you know niger delta people can do things like that
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by MrCrackles(m): 10:21pm On Feb 24, 2010
ochallo:

with goodluck on ground now he can actually make it so . you know niger delta people can do things like that
Dont kid yourself. . .
Goodluck cant do jack sh/it!
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by SwtzMinx(f): 10:57pm On Feb 24, 2010
, they r dreaming. .
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 24, 2010
audacious:

All ya'll yapping about civil servants being lazy and only come to work on paydays should take a more critical look at the situation before criticizing their demands for an increase in the minimum wage (though I agree that the amount they are clamoring for is too high)

With the kind of minimum wage being payed now, how do you expect an individual to survive without doing other jobs or collecting kickbacks? You might say that is not an excuse but tell that to your kids or wife when you come home at the end of the month and your salary can't pay for school fees, house rent, food e.t.c.

Without a conducive work environment + poor pay, why would civil servants be motivated to work?

Ori e Pe( Your head is correct)
7500 can't even do shit
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by emisun(m): 11:21pm On Feb 24, 2010
Increasing salary amount without tackling issues like power,infrastructure,health,food security etc would only see the economy self destroy
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by tayoast(m): 11:26pm On Feb 24, 2010
how realistic??
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by emisun(m): 11:27pm On Feb 24, 2010
Increasing salary amount without tackling issues like power,infrastructure,health,food security etc would only see the economy self destroy
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by mamagee3(f): 1:20am On Feb 25, 2010
The thieves are in the house. . .
First, Ex-presidents demanded 1 billion naira
for wages, now Civil Servants want 100,000 naira
Theses are bunch of criminals we're dealing with. . .
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by ogbongzky(m): 5:41am On Feb 25, 2010
JUST IMPOSSIBLE,

Wait, if even accepted, what will now be the minimum wage of CERTIFIED MILITANTS?

Kidnappers nko?

Abeg, lets LIGHTUPNIGERIA and the economy will be Ok. If the economy is Ok, you will even enjoy life with 10k. Period!
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by texazzpete(m): 7:37am On Feb 25, 2010
Why the need to generalize? Why insinuate that all civil servants are lazy?
There are many hardworking civil servants out there. This list even includes teachers in public schools etc.

My mum has been a civil servant in the Ministry of Education all her life, and she even works harder than most people i know in the private sector. Even in ill health, even in the face of job adversity and marginalization, she puts in a herculean effort. And there are many many more like her out there.

N100k monthly IS unreasonable as a minimum wage, but that does not give you fuc'kheads the right to make such idi'otic allegations.
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by martinosi: 10:58am On Feb 25, 2010
Qoute from Wrex

Quote from: jumie on Yesterday at 01:18:06 PM
If wishes were horses,

Very unrealistic!!!!

Abi ooooo.Civil servants are getting it wrong.What they should be fighting for is fixed marketing control measures.Raising minimum wage is not the solution.

Thats right, we need Controls and protection for
or Public and private sectors. We can compete globally
with fragile and instable industries.

The public sector is supposed to be a support
for the private sector by creating the correct
structure/enviroment for Businesses to function in,

The minimum wage should be between about 20k - 25k Naira
in my opinion, i may be wrong,
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by martinosi: 10:59am On Feb 25, 2010
emisun:

CO-SIGN, SO TRUUUUUEEEE!!!!
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by kulumbu: 4:51pm On Feb 25, 2010
I just smilled immediately i saw it, normally i should be very happy afterall my daddy remain a civil servant but what would justify him taking such salary. I thought the civil servant must have known by now that public traders grow with them, then they stand to save same nothing.NLC should rather clamour for amenities that a live requires.
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by Fhemmmy: 9:29pm On Feb 25, 2010
MrCrackles:

Dont kid yourself. . .
Goodluck cant do jack sh/it!

Lol
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by mafioso2(m): 10:07pm On Feb 25, 2010
waooo:

No matter what we say here, there's every need to review civil servants salary as #7,500 is just too small.

7,500.00 NGN = $50 shocked shocked shocked shocked?
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by KnowAll(m): 10:22pm On Feb 25, 2010
I wrote an article ages ago that the Minimum wage in Nigeria should actually be N200,000.00 a month in fact I would look for it and re-post here today. If u dont pay them that much the people who would consume the money are the Likes like Mrs Yaradua and her Kitchen Cabinet. If the FG wage bill increases there would be little in the kitty to steal, the country would start using its common sense on how to prioritise resources to areas that needs them the most.

Look at UK today today they are going to cut the public services bill, what that means a lot of civil servents are going to lose their jobs. The difference is that they would be well compensated and those that remain after the pruning exercise would have even better living wages.
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by PupetMasta(m): 10:51pm On Feb 25, 2010
let them privatize them, they are too dormant to collect that kind of money
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by Wallie(m): 7:34pm On Feb 26, 2010
I think what they should demand is a cost-of-living increase so that their purchasing power raise with inflation.

Even ignoring where the money will come from, what do they think will happen when salaries get increased 1333%? Hyperinflation!

Don’t they think everybody else will want their own share of the increment? I find puzzling that leaders like that are provided a platform and audience to spew their senseless thoughts.
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by KnowAll(m): 7:50pm On Feb 26, 2010
I think what they should demand is a cost-of-living increase so that their purchasing power raise with inflation.

Even ignoring where the money will come from, what do they think will happen when salaries get increased 1333%? Hyperinflation!

Don’t they think everybody else will want their own share of the increment? I find puzzling that leaders like that are provided a platform and audience to spew their senseless thoughts.

I disagree with u, do u know how much the FG has spent on all this Yaradua sickness adventure, Hotel bills for pilots and the governors  going back and forth, I bet if it is not up to half of or even more than what the Federal Civil Servants total salaries I would be susprise.
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by Wallie(m): 8:30pm On Feb 26, 2010
KnowAll:

I disagree with u, do u know how much the FG has spent on all this Yaradua sickness adventure, Hotel bills for pilots and the governors  going back and forth, I bet if it is not up to half of or even more than what the Federal Civil Servants total salaries I would be susprise.

No doubt they spent half of the treasury to save the president but that’s not the issue at hand. Can you explain how you can justify such a salary increase? What exactly will the civil servants be doing differently from what they did before?

Further, if the civil servants get such an increment, don’t you think the people that shop in the same market as them will suffer the effects?

Here’s how the scenario will play out:

Car dealer normally sells his allocation of 10 cars per month. Civil servants gets new raise and decides to finally buy cars they’ve been longing for. With cash in hand, they go to the dealer and clear out his lot in less than a week. For the remaining three weeks, the car dealer’s lot remained empty (demand is now greater than supply). The following month, the car dealer now knows that there is great demand for his cars, so he increased the price 50%.

Cab driver is in need of a new car. Got a loan from a bank and buys a car from car dealer for a 50% premium over last month’s price. Since he has to make profit and pay back the loan, he raises his fares 50%.

Trader normally takes a cab from his farm to the market. Trader is forced to pay a 50% increase in transportation cost. Since trader also has to turn profit, he raises his price 50%.

Car dealer’s wife goes to the market to shop and complains to the car dealer that she needs 50% more than was given last month due to price hike. Car dealer obliges but also raised his selling price because the cars are still flying off his lot.

This whole cycle will continue until demand equals supply or when supply is greater than demand. That occurs when people can no longer afford to pay the higher prices and refuse to buy the dealer’s cars.

Economics 101 – Demand vs. Supply as it relates to inflation.

PS: I’ve never taken an economic class:-)
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by Fhemmmy: 8:36pm On Feb 26, 2010
Well said ^^^
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by KnowAll(m): 8:44pm On Feb 26, 2010
No doubt they spent half of the treasury to save the president but that’s not the issue at hand. Can you explain how you can justify such a salary increase? What exactly will the civil servants be doing differently from what they did before?

Further, if the civil servants get such an increment, don’t you think the people that shop in the same market as them will suffer the effects?

Here’s how the scenario will play out:

Car dealer normally sells his allocation of 10 cars per month. Civil servants gets new raise and decides to finally buy cars they’ve been longing for. With cash in hand, they go to the dealer and clear out his lot in less than a week. For the remaining three weeks, the car dealer’s lot remained empty (demand is now greater than supply). The following month, the car dealer now knows that there is great demand for his cars, so he increased the price 50%.

Cab driver is in need of a new car. Got a loan from a bank and buys a car from car dealer for a 50% premium over last month’s price. Since he has to make profit and pay back the loan, he raises his fares 50%.

Trader normally takes a cab from his farm to the market. Trader is forced to pay a 50% increase in transportation cost. Since trader also has to turn profit, he raises his price 50%.

Car dealer’s wife goes to the market to shop and complains to the car dealer that she needs 50% more than was given last month due to price hike. Car dealer obliges but also raised his selling price because the cars are still flying off his lot.

This whole cycle will continue until demand equals supply or when supply is greater than demand. That occurs when people can no longer afford to pay the higher prices and refuse to buy the dealer’s cars.

Economics 101 – Demand vs. Supply as it relates to inflation.

PS: I’ve never taken an economic class:-

We did not have all this scenerio u described above when our nation was the highest paying nation on Earth in 1975, during the Udoji awards in 1975. The lowest paid goverment worker in Nigeria was getting more than the lowest paid worker in the US and Britain,  In fact we maintained that high livable wage right up to 1985 when IBB took over.

During the hey days of Udoji my father built a house in Ibadan in 1980 the bricklayers, carpenters, Terrazzo men all had new pick up trucks or what we call panel van in Nigeria they bought them new for N4,000.00, we never had hyper inflation then. Why would we have it  now ?

that your Economics 101 theory would not wash Mr man ?
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by Fhemmmy: 8:49pm On Feb 26, 2010
KnowAll:

We did not have all this scenerio u described above when our nation was the highest paying nation on Earth in 1975, during the Udoji awards in 1975. The lowest paid goverment worker in Nigeria was getting more than the lowest paid worker in the US and Britain,  In fact we maintained that high livable wage right up to 1985 when IBB took over.

During the hey days of Udoji my father built a house in Ibadan in 1980 the bricklayers, carpenters, Terrazzo men all had new pick up trucks or what we call panel van in Nigeria they bought them new for N4,000.00, we never had hyper inflation then. Why would we have it  now ?

that your Economics 101 theory would not wash Mr man ?[/color]

Chief, i cant say much about the times yu were talking about, however, this time, i can.
When you increase the salary sharply like that, it is a known fact that every other services and product's prices will be jacked up as well, and the cost of living will go up, and mind you, not the salary of everyone that would be increased, but not everyone works for the govt.
So what will be the need of increasing the salary that much, if you will turn around and give them to cab driver, Okada man?
Moderate increment might be aiight, but to 100K a month, i think that is too much
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by Wallie(m): 9:12pm On Feb 26, 2010
KnowAll, you’re letting your emotions get the best of you; stop shooting from the hip. What you’re referring to is the purchasing power of people back then, which has little ir nothing to do with giving 70% of the population a 1333% raise.

Here are a couple of questions for you to ponder:
1. If countries are in charge of printing their own currency, why can’t they simply just print enough money to make each of their citizens billionaires?
2. Why is the exchange rate of naira 150+ to 1 dollar? Why can’t the Nigerian government just make it 1 to 1 or why is it not 1 to 1?

Find the answers to the above questions, and you will understand why you cannot just pump cash into the economy without “thinking.”
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by KnowAll(m): 9:13pm On Feb 26, 2010
Chief, i cant say much about the times yu were talking about, however, this time, i can.
When you increase the salary sharply like that, it is a known fact that every other services and product's prices will be jacked up as well, and the cost of living will go up, and mind you, not the salary of everyone that would be increased, but not everyone works for the govt.
So what will be the need of increasing the salary that much, if you will turn around and give them to cab driver, Okada man?
Moderate increment might be aiight, but to 100K a month, i think that is too much

This country has misplaced priority at the moment we give a Senator 40 million a House of Reps guy N35 million.

Give them 3 million, if they dont want it,  millions of unemployed graduates in Nigerians would  apply for their Jobs. The saving which is 37 million would pay 370 civil servents salary at N100,000.00. That is just for one senator. We have 108 Senators that would be 39590 Federal Civil Servants on N100,000.00 a month.

Then we go to the House of Reps 470 members or there presently on about 35 million a year, give them 2.5 million that would be a saving of 32.5 million Naira per House of Reps. Do the maths 32.5 X 470 = N13 billion Naira

Divide 13 billion / 100,000 = 130,000 Civil servants on N100,000.00

If with what the Senators and House of Reps guys are earning is not presently causing  hyper inflation, I dont see why there would be hyper inflation if we re-distribute the income. We as a nation are already spending that amount,  we are only redistributing the wealth so that more people can benefit rather than just a previledge few.
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by Fhemmmy: 9:16pm On Feb 26, 2010
KnowAll:

This country has misplaced priority at the moment we give a Senator 40 million a House of Reps guy N35 million.

Give them 3 million, if they dont want it,  millions of unemployed graduates in Nigerians would  apply for their Jobs. The saving which is 37 million would pay 370 civil servents salary at N100,000.00. That is just for one senator. We have 108 Senators that would be 39590 Federal Civil Servants on N100,000.00 a month.

Then we go to the House of Reps 470 members or there presently on about 35 million a year, give them 2.5 million that would be a saving of 32.5 million Naira per House of Reps. Do the maths 32.5 X 470 = N13 billion Naira

Divide 13 billion / 100,000 = 130,000 Civil servants on N100,000.00

If with what the Senators and House of Reps guys are earning is not presently causing  hyper inflation, I dont see why there would be hyper inflation if we re-distribute the income. We as a nation are already spending that amount,  we are only redistributing the wealth so that more people can benefit rather than just a previledge few.

There is no doubt abt it that Nija has misplaced what is important.
BTW . . . It is not in the book nor official that they are giving them that kinda money, as a matter of fact, Nigerian president's salary is not that fat.
They are all dying there cos of the brown envelopes.
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by KnowAll(m): 9:42pm On Feb 26, 2010
2. Why is the exchange rate of naira 150+ to 1 dollar? Why can’t the Nigerian government just make it 1 to 1 or why is it not 1 to 1?

Find the answers to the above questions, and you will understand why you cannot just pump cash into the economy without “thinking.”

The cash is already in the economy we are talkning of redistribution of wealth already in the economy. - See my explanation above.

What sense does it make when someone is on 7,500 and another person is on 40 million does that other person have 2 heads. undecided
Re: Civil Servants Demand N100,000 Minimum Wage by Fhemmmy: 9:48pm On Feb 26, 2010
KnowAll:

The cash is already in the economy we are talkning of redistribution of wealth already in the economy. - See my explanation above.

What sense does it make when someone is on 7,500 and another person is on 40 million does that other person have 2 heads. undecided

The money that can be redistributed is the money that can be accounted for.
Not when it is a bribe and people cant even account for it.
Why do u think all these people are taking them out of the nation? it is all cos they are not accounted for . . . and how do u redistribute what you cant account for?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gov Amaechi Stops Nddc Boss Convoy / Suicide Bombers Are Influenced by Drugs / Jonathan Will Be Declared Winner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.