Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair (7958 Views)

I Need A Transmission (gear) Expert In Ibadan. / 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. / Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by obafemee80(m): 4:15am On Sep 05, 2017
[img]http:///a/img923/7741/P3wDqx.jpg[/img]

Your vehicle’s transmission is one of the most complicated parts and can be costly to fix. Regular service and fluid changes are necessary to help maintain your vehicle’s transmission regardless if it is manual or automatic.There are many warning signs that indicate your transmission may be failing so if you are experiencing one of these warning signs please schedule a service appointment for your transmission as soon as possible before the damage gets worse.

Here are 7 warning signs of a failing transmission to be on the lookout for.

1)Slipping Gears
Healthy transmissions keep your car in one gear until you decide to change the gear. When your transmission “slips”, it may show an RPM of 3500+ or take a long time to coast. Additionally, your vehicle may seem to delay accelerating when you press on the gas, which is an indication that it is not transmitting enough power to the engine’s internal combustion part.Transmission slips could also result from broken or worn out bands.

2)Noises in Neutral
If you suspect your transmission needs attention, trying putting your car in neutral and listening for unusual whining, groaning or ticking noises. Wear and tear on parts such as bearings or gear teeth often cause noises that indicate a failing transmission.

3)Leaking Transmission Fluid
Causes of transmission fluids leaks include loose pans,improperly tightened bolts or unsecured drain plugs,cracked pan gaskets and damaged toque converters or fluid lines.Constantly replacing lost transmission fluid isn’t the answer to correcting these problems, either.Getting the leak repaired so that fluid levels remain steady will dramatically extend the life of your vehicle.

4)Your Vehicle Won’t Go Into Gear
Low transmission fluid may prevent your car from engaging the drive or reverse gear,which indicates a leak probably exists somewhere in the lines.For cars with manual transmissions, it could be a sign of a worn clutch plate if the vehicle manages to engage and creep a little bit forward.Regardless of whether it is a minor fix,automobiles that don’t slide easily into gear require immediate attention by a professional mechanic.

5)Check Engine Light
This one seems obvious,but the “check engine” or “service engine soon” light often goes ignored.The sensors in the car’s engine might pick up on unusual activity from the transmission you can’t detect.Don’t delay on getting your car serviced when the check engine light pops up.Failing to address a problem with your transmission early on could mean disaster.

6)You Can Smell Fluid Burning
Extremely hot transmission fluid has a distinct,acrid smell that does not smell like burning oil but more like burning rubber. Burning transmission fluid indicates a leak that is dripping onto hot engine parts or seriously dirty fluid that needs drained and replaced with new transmission fluid.Running your car with old, contaminated transmission fluid is just as harmful to the engine and transmission as never changing the oil.

7)Car Shakes When the Gears Shift (for both manual and automatic transmissions)
Normally functioning transmissions keep your ride smooth during gear shifts. Automatic transmissions that shift hard, jerk or shake during a shift change may mean your transmission fluid needs changed or fluid level is low. In manual transmission vehicles, abnormal gear shifts could indicate damaged gear synchros, worn clutches or other, more severe issues.

https://autojosh.com/7-warning-signs-need-transmission-repair/

Credits: aceautoutah.com/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:37am On Sep 05, 2017
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by Aldebaran(m): 7:01am On Sep 05, 2017
nice share...
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by id4sho(m): 7:37am On Sep 05, 2017
I experienced No 3 , got it fixed in Jos. Imagine drain plugs opened with chisel .lets stop patronizing kazzens/road side mechanics

1 Like

Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by DICKtator: 7:42am On Sep 05, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by Dahkogrin007(m): 7:45am On Sep 05, 2017
id4sho:
I experienced No 3 , got it fixed in Jos. Imagine drain plugs opened with chisel .lets stop patronizing kazzens/road side mechanics

And how do u want the road side mechanics to feed.... By d way some of them are better than companies
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by bilazego(m): 7:56am On Sep 05, 2017
Why would gears disengage after driving for some time. it will remain so until returned to neutral and then re-engaged. This happens having driven for an hour and above. also reverse gear engage with amount of force, you actually hear the sound. automatic transmission system.
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by diportivo: 7:58am On Sep 05, 2017
bilazego:
Why would gears disengage after driving for some time. it will remain so until returned to neutral and then re-engaged. This happens having driven for an hour and above. also reverse gear engage with amount of force, you actually hear the sound. automatic transmission system.

low/wrong fluid

or

u are on d path to gearbox replacement

1 Like

Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by Helpfromabove(m): 8:05am On Sep 05, 2017
Nice one, the major problem is getting the right mechanic that can pix it am presently battling with the transmission of my car, ( the RPM gets to as high as 5000 before it changes gear from 1 and after it changes gear the odometer blanks out. It one story to another
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by bilazego(m): 8:11am On Sep 05, 2017
diportivo:

low/wrong fluid

or

u are on d path to gearbox replacement
thanks, I will change fluid then observe.
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by sirusX(m): 8:16am On Sep 05, 2017
Helpfromabove:
Nice one, the major problem is getting the right mechanic that can pix it am presently battling with the transmission of my car, ( the RPM gets to as high as 5000 before it changes gear from 1 and after it changes gear the odometer blanks out. It one story to another

There are people I'm sure that can handle it...but I dunno much about the cost
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by timifakay(m): 8:18am On Sep 05, 2017
Helpfromabove:
What's the vehicle make, model, year of manufacture and engine type?
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by lafakale(m): 9:26am On Sep 05, 2017
My transmission drops ATF little by little and it augmented gradually. There was a day I parked against a steep, when I return, I discovered a large amount of ATF has leaked through inner shaft cup. I hit my mech shop and was told that gearbox oil seal is worn and it is not replaceable but to buy new gearbox. I later parked the car when it continued to take 1ltr of ATF every week. Chief disHonourable Recession (GCFR) see to it that I returned to my legedis benz. The car (accord 1999) is in my garage now. Any advice profs in the house?

1 Like

Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by Helpfromabove(m): 10:45am On Sep 05, 2017
timifakay:

What's the vehicle make, model, year of manufacture and engine type?
MAZDA TRIBUTE 2002 V6 CURVE ENGINE
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by COOLDK(m): 12:15pm On Sep 05, 2017
I currently experienced this. My Camry 1999 just stopped engaging while on motion without no prior warning or notice.
I changed the gear box but still not very okay, changed it again and it work well.

Put same car on the road (Lagos to Ore), experienced no issue on the journey but the second day, it refused to enter reversing gear. Checked the ATF, realized it was very low. I refilled it and leave it to run for sometimes, the reverse gear is back but with little delay before engaging (about 6seconds).

Hit Ore-Lagos back but the gear never remain the same. It is hard engaging in gear 4 and 5. Only 1 and 2 work perfect well. Due to this, I realised there is much pressure on the engine thereby consuming more fuel.

Moreover, all the gear position experience little delay before engaging.

Anybody with ideal solution to this?
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by timifakay(m): 2:33pm On Sep 05, 2017
Helpfromabove:

MAZDA TRIBUTE 2002 V6 CURVE ENGINE
Replacement transmission loading.
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by baddosky1: 2:58pm On Sep 05, 2017
All these Aboki boys driving Golf 2 taxis in Abuja with Auto Transmission will ignore all these warnings. infact, the more warning lights appear on the dashboard, the better as they think the lights are "mere decors"
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by nickxtra(m): 4:15pm On Sep 05, 2017
obafemee80:
[img]http:///a/img923/7741/P3wDqx.jpg[/img]

Your vehicle’s transmission is one of the most complicated parts and can be costly to fix. Regular service and fluid changes are necessary to help maintain your vehicle’s transmission regardless if it is manual or automatic.There are many warning signs that indicate your transmission may be failing so if you are experiencing one of these warning signs please schedule a service appointment for your transmission as soon as possible before the damage gets worse.

Here are 7 warning signs of a failing transmission to be on the lookout for.

1)Slipping Gears
Healthy transmissions keep your car in one gear until you decide to change the gear. When your transmission “slips”, it may show an RPM of 3500+ or take a long time to coast. Additionally, your vehicle may seem to delay accelerating when you press on the gas, which is an indication that it is not transmitting enough power to the engine’s internal combustion part.Transmission slips could also result from broken or worn out bands.

2)Noises in Neutral
If you suspect your transmission needs attention, trying putting your car in neutral and listening for unusual whining, groaning or ticking noises. Wear and tear on parts such as bearings or gear teeth often cause noises that indicate a failing transmission.

3)Leaking Transmission Fluid
Causes of transmission fluids leaks include loose pans,improperly tightened bolts or unsecured drain plugs,cracked pan gaskets and damaged toque converters or fluid lines.Constantly replacing lost transmission fluid isn’t the answer to correcting these problems, either.Getting the leak repaired so that fluid levels remain steady will dramatically extend the life of your vehicle.

4)Your Vehicle Won’t Go Into Gear
Low transmission fluid may prevent your car from engaging the drive or reverse gear,which indicates a leak probably exists somewhere in the lines.For cars with manual transmissions, it could be a sign of a worn clutch plate if the vehicle manages to engage and creep a little bit forward.Regardless of whether it is a minor fix,automobiles that don’t slide easily into gear require immediate attention by a professional mechanic.

5)Check Engine Light
This one seems obvious,but the “check engine” or “service engine soon” light often goes ignored.The sensors in the car’s engine might pick up on unusual activity from the transmission you can’t detect.Don’t delay on getting your car serviced when the check engine light pops up.Failing to address a problem with your transmission early on could mean disaster.

6)You Can Smell Fluid Burning
Extremely hot transmission fluid has a distinct,acrid smell that does not smell like burning oil but more like burning rubber. Burning transmission fluid indicates a leak that is dripping onto hot engine parts or seriously dirty fluid that needs drained and replaced with new transmission fluid.Running your car with old, contaminated transmission fluid is just as harmful to the engine and transmission as never changing the oil.

7)Car Shakes When the Gears Shift (for both manual and automatic transmissions)
Normally functioning transmissions keep your ride smooth during gear shifts. Automatic transmissions that shift hard, jerk or shake during a shift change may mean your transmission fluid needs changed or fluid level is low. In manual transmission vehicles, abnormal gear shifts could indicate damaged gear synchros, worn clutches or other, more severe issues.

Credits: aceautoutah.com/

Number 1 is Exactly what am experiencing. Is it repairable/serviceable?
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by COOLDK(m): 8:10pm On Sep 05, 2017
nickxtra:
Number 1 is Exactly what am experiencing. Is it repairable/serviceable?

Guy prepare to either change or repair your gear box. That is how mine started
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by Helpfromabove(m): 10:22am On Sep 06, 2017
What do you mean? be more explicit
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by Helpfromabove(m): 10:24am On Sep 06, 2017
timifakay:

Replacement transmission loading.
What do you mean please be more explicit
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by signz: 10:02am On Sep 19, 2017
My car doesn't move when I shift my gear to drive but it moves when pit on reverse. As I typing now I've just contacted a tow truck.
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by freakyprince05: 9:57am On Jan 17, 2021
Please I need a professional help.
My Honda City 2004 model when cool will delay while engine is running for about 10mins when the gear is shifted to D (Drive). But engages immediately when put in R (Reverse).
Please what could be the possible cause?
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by Blackbishop(m): 9:05pm On Jan 17, 2021
freakyprince05:
Please I need a professional help.
My Honda City 2004 model when cool will delay while engine is running for about 10mins when the gear is shifted to D (Drive). But engages immediately when put in R (Reverse).
Please what could be the possible cause?

Boss prepare to change tranny
Re: 7 Warning Signs You Need A Transmission Repair by freakyprince05: 12:28pm On Jan 18, 2021
Please what is tranny? How much does it cost?

(1) (Reply)

Innoson To Partner With NDDC In The Training Of Niger Delta Youths / How Do I Refill Or Charge Fire Extinguisher? / I Am Confused Which One Is Better? Camry 2001 Or Honda Accord 2001/2002

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.