Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,546 members, 7,827,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations (7171 Views)

President, Governors Must Quit Office Before Elections – Sule / SE Governors Must Reject The Ministry of Power,Wks and Housing Budget Allocation / Why I Ammended The 2016 Budget – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by AloyEmeka5: 5:23am On Feb 25, 2010
Senate amends section 145

The Senate, on Wednesday, voted to alter the provisions of section 145 and 190 of the 1999 constitution.

The amendments make it compulsory for a president or a governor to transmit a letter to the leadership of the National Assembly or House of Assembly respectively to enable the vice president or deputy governor act “whenever the president is proceeding on vacation or is unable to discharge the function of his office.”

The bill also empowers the National Assembly or state legislators to pass a resolution, empowering the vice president or deputy governor to act on behalf of the president or governor if there is a failure to transmit such letter within 14 days of his departure.

The bill is sponsored by the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, and supported by members of the senate Committee on Constitution Review.

The idea to alter the two sections proposed for amendment came up as a result of the inability of the lawmakers to constitutionally get the president to transmit a letter when he was absent. This led the Senate to adopt a creative resolution, empowering Vice President Goodluck Jonathan to act pending the return of President Yar’Adua.

The House of Representatives has already considered a similar bill, seeking to amend the same sections. While the Representatives are contemplating a 21-day grace period for the president or governor to be away on vacation without transmitting his powers, the senate voted in favour of 14 days grace period.

The differences will, however, be harmonised by a joint committee of the senate and House before the bill is passed down to the state Houses of Assembly for consideration.

Speedy passage

The bill was first read by the senate on 17 February. The following day, the senate started the second reading debate on the bill. After three days of debate, when nearly all senators contributed, on Wednesday, the bill passed its second reading.

It was immediately committed to the committee of the whole senate. There, the senate considered the provisions of the amendment bill, clause by clause, after which slight amendments were made on the original proposal.

The bill was then put to vote and senators stood in turns to vote a “yes” or “no” for or against the alterations. Out of the 109 senators, 17 senators were absent from the sitting and 89 senators voted “yes” to amend the first part of the bill.

Two senators, Yale Mallam Kaka (ANPP Borno State) and Garba Yakubu Lado (PDP Katsina State) voted against the alterations.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5531726-146/senate_amends_section_145__.csp
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Nobody: 6:39am On Feb 25, 2010
Yes oh, I watched the sittings and voting live on NTA was really impresed with the Senators and Senate President. There Comes a time in a mans life when you have to be a man or woman and make your stand clear, the Senate President was very clear and upset at being taking for granted by the president, and the senators made their stand known indiviually, i was especially happy that the senate president made them all vote one by one so every one will answer his fathers name and so no one can hide behind a voice vote. Yesterday the Senate showed that even them had had enough of disrespect and disregard. The best part was when a senator raised an order that the debate should be discontinued since the president is back and David mark said the senate is not aware that the president traveled or that he has returned. That the Senate does not work on rumours or misinformation but on written letters and being officially informed but since the president disregarded them they will also show no regards
My main concern now is the house of Reps under Bankole, I just dont get it with Mr Speaker, I had always though David mark was the Yes Man but yesterday and for over a month now i have seen a different side of him. When people listen and do the right thing, then they deserve our praise. So i say thank you to the 89 Senators for waking up and amending section 144 and section 190, it was really a proud and historical moment for me yesterday.
Funny thing is that most Nigerians wont follow and understand this they will just spread rumours and misinformation. Even when this was being voted on yesterday a l;ot of people who i thought should watch the proceedings and see how their senators voted were not interested instead they will browse in and out and go out and misinform others. so who is ignorant now, the leaders or the followers. Good work Nigerian Senate
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Nobody: 6:47am On Feb 25, 2010
Chairman of the Senate Committee on Solid Minerals, George Thompson Sekibo (PDP, Rivers East) said yesterday that the Senate was not aware that President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua is back in the country to resume his duties.

He stated: “We will not act on rumours because there have been so many rumours in the country and our resolution (empowering Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan to step in as Acting President, pending the return of Yar’Adua from his medical vacation) is very clear.”

The Senate had, in its January 27, 2010 resolution, required Yar’Adua to transmit or inform it via a written declaration whenever he was back in the country from his vacation.

Senator Festus Olabode Ola (AC, Ekiti Central) said that the National Assembly was still expecting a formal letter from Yar’Adua.
He said: “We saw that in the newspapers that the President is back but we did not do anything about that because it is expected that if he comes back we should be officially informed by a letter to the National Assembly.”

Vice-Chairman of the Senate Committee on Capital Market, Mohammed Bello (ANPP, Kano Central), declared that the Senate resolution was not ambiguous.
According to him, “Our resolution is clear and non-ambiguous; it was clear that when he returns (and) he transmits a letter to the National Assembly that he is ready to resume work. We are yet to receive any such letter.”

Chairman of the Senate Committee on State and Local Government Affairs, Sahabi Alhaji Yau (ANPP, Zamfara North), said: “We are not aware that Yar’Adua is back.”
Smart Adeyemi (PDP, Kogi West) said: “I am not aware that the President is back because as a Senator I know that there are procedures and if the President is back it should be announced on the floor of the Senate that the President is back. I am not aware that the President is back.

“I want to believe that there must be a procedure for us to know that the President is back; so, I don’t know if the President is back.
“But you are telling me that the President is back; we are happy that our President is back and we hope that he will follow all the provisions that are required in getting the Senate to know.”

Adeyemi added: “There is a President in place now and as far as the Senate is concerned, we had a resolution; we have an Acting President in place and if the President is back and he is to take over the mantle of leadership, we are happy but we should know the procedure.

“There are procedures of taking over and if the President is back we should know that the President is back; I don’t want to believe as a Senator that the President is back and I will read on the pages of newspapers; there are procedures that should be respected that our President is back.

“We are happy he is back, but I don’t know in concrete terms that the President is back until there is a communication to the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. For now there is no communication to us that the President is back.”
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by slap1(m): 7:49am On Feb 25, 2010
Medicine after death. Wise move on their part sha, election beckons.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Gbawe: 9:08am On Feb 25, 2010
@Aisha2. Well said my Sister. David Mark, even as I am no fan of the man, has impressed me also in the past month. His recent demeanour and action has shown that , unlike others , he cares that the right thing is done.

Of the four most highly placed Nigerians, it is only David Mark that has come out of this odious saga with an enhanced reputation IMO.

He is the only one , although belatedly, who is showing that he understands his official obligation to Nigerians . Bankole has been a huge dissapointment and the personification of "enemy of Progress". He has shown , without ambiguity, that he is firmly loyal to the cabal destroying Nigeria for their own selfish ambitions.  Yar Adua is probably too comatose to know what is being done in his name while Jonathan is too cowardly to act as decisively and authoritatively as Mark is now doing.

Let us keep watching. I am sure many Nigerians will have noted Jonathan's weak performance and atrocious decision-making as acting President ( eg sending an EXCOF team to SA) . They will also have noted with disdain that Yar Adua's destructive kitchen cabinet do not understand that Nigeria is bigger than them all. Many may conclude that Jonathan is simply not sagacious enough , even with the support of the entire world, to deal with trouble makers. Those who can make a difference may conclude that a David Mark interim Presidency , pending general elections, might be the best option for Nigeria since , constitutionally , he is next in line after Jonathan.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by AloyEmeka5: 1:21pm On Feb 25, 2010
slap1:

Medicine after death. Wise move on their part sha, election beckons.

Why? Another may happen. Should we have left it the way it was?. There are many loopholes in our constitution.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by slap1(m): 1:44pm On Feb 25, 2010
^ I did not say they were wrong.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by MeGaStReEt: 1:51pm On Feb 25, 2010
IMPEACH the imp and lets move forward
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Ben13: 2:14pm On Feb 25, 2010
They will still see another reason to amend the Constitutions before the next election.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by becomricch: 2:20pm On Feb 25, 2010
If constitution amendment was just to for the handover of govt, it is totally unacceptable to the Yorubas. We want the constitution to be amended but  amending a constitution is beyoud a person need to people needs. What is best for the majority of Nigerian.

the north is scare of thier future, as minority, while the yorubas feel cheated.

. I would run for the office of President to bring peace to nigeria. if the issue is not resolve. The issue is we have to remove the Yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa from Nigeria to give the north majority to have peace and avoid a Darfur. If this is not done. I intend to run for the office of President. And I know how northern leaders think. And by the time I show the northern emir the satellite pictures, and what my plan is. I would win the north and become president.   I would resign from the office of president when my mission is finished.  And hand over to the vice president. The lifes of 15,000,000 people depend on it. we can not afford to be the next Darfur 

You see leadership is about what is best for the people and not about what is best for a person. Nigeria needs this change now to have peace. And if govt is not ready to make the change.  I am ready to work with the north to achieve this change to bring peace and avoid a civil war.    I intend to run for the office of President, if the Yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa is not remove to make the north majority.

watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI

awa ni ani epo, ki wa ma gbe epo ti wo lo. meje% ni won fu wa. ti aba lo. ogbo% epo di ti wa.  wo bi sogun meja. awo igbo re, wo cheat wa ni. wo bi sogun meja. Ti aba de lo. ki awon ati hausa ma fa together. e wo ti wa. omo to ni ki iya to bi ma su, owu nu ki oni fe oju ko oru.   epo wa ni ile ajase.

Ti aba wa ni ajase. owo wa ma po si ni. state kan ma gba be anu mewa owo ti wa gba ni si.

wo bi sogun meja. awo fi owo epo ko ilu ti won, enyi je iya. Olori buruko ni eniyan ti oba so pe ki yoruba ma lo. te ni ode. ki awon ati hausa ma fa together pe lu wo. wo bi sogun meja.

A BILL
AN ACT TO CREATE THE NIGERIA-BENIN COMMISSION AND BOUNDARY RELOCATION AND NIGERIA-BENIN PARLIAMENT.

SPONSORS
EGBE OMO ODUDUWA

This Bill shall amend the boundary of Nigeria. And the following state of Bayelsa, Edo, Ekiti, lagos,Oyo, Ogun, Delta, Ondo, Osun, Kwara,kogi and Borgu(niger and kebbi state) [Belodok states ] shall be permanently transferred to Benin Republic with supervision of the Nigeria-Benin commission. All land, air, coastal area, land, everything inside its land and air shall belong to the Republic of Benin
NIGERIA-BENIN COMMISSION ROLE AND RULES
This bill also create the Nigeria- Benin commission, which is to be headed by the president of Nigeria and President of Benin republic in rotation. A Two year duration , shall be approved by members of the Nigeria-Benin commission. The head of the Nigeria-Benin commission shall be called President General. The position of President General is reserved for only the president of Nigeria and Benin Republic. No other member of the Nigeria- Benin commission can hold the position of President General or deputy President General apart from this two.

The position of President General shall be rotated between the president of Nigeria and Benin republic. While the position of deputy President General shall be rotated between the president of Nigeria and Benin republic. With Nigeria President Umar Yar Adua starting first.

The Nigeria-Benin commission shall have 17 members. There are
The president of Nigeria.
The president of Benin republic
The president of Nigeria-Benin parliament
The Deputy president of Nigeria-Benin parliament (Nigeria)
The Deputy president of Nigeria-Benin parliament(Nigeria)
The Deputy president of Nigeria-Benin parliament(Nigeria)
The Deputy president of Nigeria-Benin parliament(Benin)
The senate president of Nigeria Senate
The Deputy senate president of Nigeria senate
The President of the Nigeria house of representative
The deputy President of Nigeria house of representative
The senate president of Benin Senate
The Deputy senate president of Benin senate
The President of the Benin house of representative
The deputy President of Benin house of representative

All serving governor, members of the senate, house of representative, chairman of local government, all elected position shall retain their position either transferred from Nigeria to the New Republic of Benin or in Nigeria.
There would be one currency in Nigeria and Benin republic with one central bank in each country. The currency shall be knew as Nibe. From the first two letter of the name of Nigeria and Benin Republic.
Nigeria and Benin Republic would financed the Nigeria-Benin commission and Nigeria-Benin parliament base on a 70% for Nigeria and 30% Republic of Benin ratio.
And an open boundary with no immigration officers expect at the boundary with other nation apart from Nigeria and Benin Republic.
All citizen of both Nigeria and Benin shall have right of resident in both country.
Nigeria and Benin republic shall still remain separate sovereign nation
This bill is based on the willingness of Benin republic accepting the Belodok state, if in an otherwise case the Belodok states shall become sovereign nation and all refers to Benin republic in this bill shall be replaced by Belodok, including the commission and parliament.

The Nigeria-Benin commission role is an executive role , while the Nigeria-Benin parliament is a legislative role.
All non physical assets of Nigeria including money and external reserve and other should be divided and transferred with a ratio 70% for Nigeria and 30% for Benin Republic.
Nigeria and Benin Republic shall contribute military force to Ecowas, Africa union and United nation if need be.
All office, officer and position either in the military or civilian retain in the Nigeria shall be transfer over to Benin republic and shall all retain the same position expect if in conflict. All personel should not be sacked. And most retain their position or be created.
All physical military position and assets of Nigeria including money, weapon, ships, tanks and others and other should be divided and transferred with a ratio 70% for Nigeria and 30% for Benin Republic.
All military personel in Nigeria of the New Republic of Benin origin shall be transfer to the Republic of Benin and retain the same military position and rank expect if there is conflict.
All civilian personel in Nigeria service of the New Republic of Benin origin shall be transfer to the Republic of Benin and retain the same position and scale expect if there is conflict.
All physical assets outside of Nigeria should be divided and transferred with a ratio 60% for Nigeria and 40% for Benin Republic.
All physical properties, document and other in The New Republic of Benin should be transfer by Nigeria. Include Airport, stadium, universities, roads, railway, seaport, etc belonging to Nigeria but is located in the New Republic of Benin shall be transfer to the Republic of Benin.

Each countries shall monitors its territory according to international law.
All international agency should be inform of the change in boundary and the establishment of the Nigeria-Benin commission including Ecowas, Africa union, the United Nation, European Union, USA, UK, Canada, China, India, Japan, Germany France, south Africa and other countries.
Nigeria-Benin commission headquarter, activate and site shall be located not in the capital of both country but on both countries bank of the River Niger at Mokwa in Niger state and Jebba in Kwara state. While Abuja would still remain the capital of Nigeria.
Nigeria-Benin commission duty include to execute law and rule set for it by the Nigeria-Benin parliament.

NIGERIA-BENIN PARLIAMENT ROLE AND RULES.

Nigeria-Benin parliament official languages shall be in English and French
Nigeria-Benin parliament headquarter, activate and site shall be located not in the capital of both country but on both countries bank of the River Niger at Mokwa in Niger state and Jebba in Kwara state. While Abuja would remain the capital of Nigeria.
The present Nigeria and Benin republic senate and house of representative would be merge on both level to create the initial Nigeria-Benin parliament.
In future the Nigeria-Benin parliament shall be made of members 60% of Nigeria and 40% of Benin Republic members.

The Nigeria-Benin parliament shall formate law leading to the unity of both economy
Nigeria-Benin parliament shall have one President and 6 deputy President. Three each from Nigeria and Republic of Benin
Nigeria-Benin business licensing board shall be created to licence business in the Nigeria-Benin parliament area.
All business licence shall be merge.
All members of Nigeria-Benin parliament shall be eligible for election to the office of President or deputy president of Nigeria-Benin Parliament.
The President or deputy president of the Nigeria-Benin parliament cannot combine his duties with any post expect ecowas related.
The President shall reside at the seat of the Parliament.
Before every round of voting at the Nigeria-Benin Parliament, the list of candidates for the post of President or deputy president shall be submitted to the Oldest Representative in term of age who shall read it out to the Parliament.
The President shall be elected by a two-thirds of Members of Parliament at the first round of voting, by an absolute majority of voting members at the following rounds at which only two (2) candidates who obtained the highest number of votes shall be presented.
As soon as the President has been elected, the oldest Representative shall vacate the Chair as acting President of Nigeria-Benin Parliament .
Only the elected President of the Nigeria-Benin Parliament may deliver an opening address.

Election of Deputy President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament
Six (6) Deputy President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament would be elected. Three each from Nigeria and republic of Benin.
Six (6) Deputy President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament shall then be elected separately. The candidate obtaining the majority of the votes cast on the first ballot shall be declared elected.
Should the number of candidates elected be less than the number of seats to be filled, a second ballot shall be held under the same conditions to fill the remaining seats.
Should a third ballot be necessary, a relative majority shall suffice for election to the remaining seats.
New nominations may be introduced between ballots during the election of Deputy President
Deputy Presidents to Nigeria-Benin Parliament shall take precedence in the order in which they were elected and, in the event of a tie, by age,
The term of office of the President or Deputy President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament shall be one time term of two years
The term of office of the President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament shall be rotated between Nigeria and Benin Republic.
The term of office of the all members of the Nigeria-Benin Parliament shall be four years.

The Parliament may, on the basis of the report of a special committee, remove the President or Deputy President to Nigeria-Benin Parliament by a vote of two-thirds majority of the members, for serious shortcomings in the management of the affairs of the Parliament .
The special Committee may be set up at the request of a parliamentary group or at least twenty (20) Members of Parliament. The decision to set up the Committee shall be approved by a simple majority of the Members of Parliament of Parliament.
When a Representative changes parliamentary group he shall retain, for the remainder of his term of office, any seat he holds in the Nigeria-Benin Parliament.
Should a vacancy for one of these positions occur before the expiry of his term, the Representative elected shall serve only for the remaining period of his predecessor's term of office.

Vacancies
Should it be necessary for the President, a Deputy President or any other member of the Nigeria-Benin Parliament to be replaced, his successor shall be elected in accordance with these rules.
A newly elected Deputy President shall take the place of his predecessor in the order of precedence.
Should the President’s seat become vacant, the first Deputy President shall act as President until a new President is elected.
Duties of the President
The President shall direct all the activities of Parliament and its bodies under the conditions laid down in these Rules. He/she shall enjoy all the powers necessary to preside over the proceedings of Parliament and to ensure that they are properly conducted.
The duties of the President shall be to open, suspend and close sittings, to ensure observance of these Rules, maintain order, call upon Presidents, close debates, put matters to the vote and announce the results of votes, and to refer to Committees any communications that concern them.
The President may speak in a debate. Should he wish to take part in a debate, he shall vacate the Chair and shall not reoccupy it until the debate is over.
Parliament shall be represented in international relations, on ceremonial occasions and in administrative, legal or financial matters by the President, who may delegate these powers.
Duties of the Deputy President
Should the President be absent or unable to discharge his duties, or should he wish to take part in a debate pursuant to Rule , he shall be replaced by one of the Deputy Presidents, in order of hierarchy.
Duties of Treasurers
The Treasurers shall be responsible for administrative and financial matters directly concerning Members of Parliament, pursuant to guidelines laid down by the Nigeria-Benin Parliament.

WORDS IN ITSEKIRI ITS MEANING IN ENGLISH   YORUBA

Afoju  A blind person                  Yoruba    Afoju
Afere  Air, Wind, Breeze                    Yoruba    Afefe
Adan  Bats    Ada

Asisaso  Rags                    Yoruba   Akisa aso
Aso  Clothes of all types                    Yoruba   Aso

Atitan  Refuse Dump                   Yoruba   Etitan

Ekutele  Rat, Mice (all specie)                    Yoruba   Ekutele

Egungun  Fairy, Evil Spirit                      Yoruba    Egungun

Erin a.k.a. Yemeriko, Eni  Elephant                       Yoruba    Erin
Ekeregbe  Goats (all sexes and family)                     Yoruba   Ekeregbe

Eyen  Palm (used generally) including bunch of fruit                   Yoruba   Eye
Eligbo  Aged person (all sexes)                   Yoruba   Arogbo

Etu  (Animal) Antelope                   Yoruba   Etu
Ejen a.k.a. Isangi, Abaghari  Blood                    Yoruba     Eje

Iguru a.k.a Akala  Vulture                  Yoruba  Igugu

Ikoko  Cocoyam   ikoko

Ipere  Nails (all brands)                     Yoruba   Ipere(small snail)

Isu a.k.a. Orusun  Yam (all varieties)                    Yoruba    Isu

Obi  Kola nut (all species)                   Yoruba   Obi

Ogede (Ogede-Oyibo)  Banana (all varieties)                  Yoruba   Ogede

Oroli Roof top                   Yoruba   Ore ile
Origho  Head (Human) top (generally)                 Yoruba   Ori (oriwo(ondo state))

Ojiji  Shadow                    Yoruba   Ojiji

Omo-ojo (omojo)  Young snakes (all species)                  Yoruba   Omo ejo
Oron  World beyond, heaven, death                    Yoruba   oru
Ose  Soap (all brands)                    Yoruba   ose

Ugba  Gourd/Calabash                     Yoruba   Egba

Uru  Tail, bottom                   Yoruba   eru
Uwan  Tongue                   Yoruba   awan

ITSEKIRI  ENGLISH    ( which is the same with the yorubas. )
1.Mene  One       
2.  Meji  Two
3.  Meta  Three
4.  Meren  Four
5.  Maru  Five
6.  Mefa  Six
7.  Meje  Seven
8.  Mejo  Eight
9.  Mesan  Nine
10.  Megwa  Ten

The Itsekiris names

Abidemi ---------Yoruba -------Abidemi

Omasan -------------------------------------Yoruba-----Omosan

Bemigho ------------------------------------- ---Yoruba ----Bamiwo
Oritsegbubemi ------------- -----Yoruba---- orisagbemi
Gbubemi ----------- -- ---Yoruba--oluwagbemi
Onetoritsebawoete Bawo or Ete
Oritsetimeyin ---------- ----------------- Yoruba--orisatimileyin
Oti or Timeyin ---------------------------Yoruba ---Timileyin
Oritseweyinmi Weyinmi -----------------------Yoruba---Orisayemi
Oritsejolomi Jolomi ---------------------------Yoruba(ilaje)---orisajolomi
Oritsematosan Tosan -- ---------- ------Yoruba---orisatosi
Eyituoyo
Tuoyo -----------------------------------Yoruba ------Toyo
Mogbeyiteren
Mogbeyi ---------------------------- --Yoruba---Omogbeyi
Eyimofe -----------------------------------Yoruba---Eyimofe

Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Pk001(m): 2:36pm On Feb 25, 2010
aisha2:

Yes oh, I watched the sittings and voting live on NTA was really impresed with the Senators and Senate President. There Comes a time in a mans life when you have to be a man or woman and make your stand clear, the Senate President was very clear and upset at being taking for granted by the president, and the senators made their stand known indiviually, i was especially happy that the senate president made them all vote one by one so every one will answer his fathers name and so no one can hide behind a voice vote. Yesterday the Senate showed that even them had had enough of disrespect and disregard. The best part was when a senator raised an order that the debate should be discontinued since the president is back and David mark said the senate is not aware that the president traveled or that he has returned. That the Senate does not work on rumours or misinformation but on written letters and being officially informed but since the president disregarded them they will also show no regards
My main concern now is the house of Reps under Bankole, I just dont get it with Mr Speaker, I had always though David mark was the Yes Man but yesterday and for over a month now i have seen a different side of him. When people listen and do the right thing, then they deserve our praise. So i say thank you to the 89 Senators for waking up and amending section 144 and section 190, it was really a proud and historical moment for me yesterday.
Funny thing is that most Nigerians wont follow and understand this they will just spread rumours and misinformation. Even when this was being voted on yesterday a l;ot of people who i thought should watch the proceedings and see how their senators voted were not interested instead they will browse in and out and go out and misinform others. so who is ignorant now, the leaders or the followers. Good work Nigerian Senate

aisha 2, i agree with very much. I think the senators deserve our praise especially David Mark. I literally stood up yesterday clapping for them when i heard their uninanimous decision. They all spoke with one voice about the constitution. The part i liked most was when they said they are not aware that the president is back. That shows that they respect the constitution. Haba, some group of people should not just be playing with the intelligence of 150million Nigerians all in the name of power which actually belongs to God. Stop this shit, u surely can't go far with it.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 25, 2010
ok.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by alldone(m): 3:34pm On Feb 25, 2010
it is the right thing to do.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by alanbolo(m): 4:04pm On Feb 25, 2010
@ becomricch,

U're totally a different species of human being, I will support ur plan only if u can take care of Turai within the next 48hrs, else ur name will be changed to becomless.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Fhemmmy: 4:05pm On Feb 25, 2010
I think this is a great move in the right direction
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by sulad82i(m): 4:05pm On Feb 25, 2010
its time we learn from our mistakes. Thats the name of that bill
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by kobikwelu(m): 4:26pm On Feb 25, 2010
at least the senators are showing that they are not fools

cos it seems that they have bin left in the dark by turai and co.

i pity turai, cos rite now she is the most reviled person in the nation (too bad) for a woman.

its better the woman throws in the towel and save her generations future. sos her name mite be put along side abacha.

it all shows that nature has a way of correcting itself. no matter how strange, it must set itsef rite
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by SwtzMinx(f): 4:38pm On Feb 25, 2010
.gr8. . .one step in tha right dIrEctIon. .
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by JUO(m): 4:51pm On Feb 25, 2010
They will still see another reason to amend the Constitutions before the next election.

u spoke my mind
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 25, 2010
good move BUT 14 days is still wayyyyyyyy too long to leave a country leaderless.

IMO, a President/Governor who will be away for more than 7 days should handover to his deputy till he gets back
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Akanbiedu(m): 4:58pm On Feb 25, 2010
aisha2:

Yes oh, I watched the sittings and voting live on NTA was really impresed with the Senators and Senate President. There Comes a time in a mans life when you have to be a man or woman and make your stand clear, the Senate President was very clear and upset at being taking for granted by the president, and the senators made their stand known indiviually, i was especially happy that the senate president made them all vote one by one so every one will answer his fathers name and so no one can hide behind a voice vote. Yesterday the Senate showed that even them had had enough of disrespect and disregard. The best part was when a senator raised an order that the debate should be discontinued since the president is back and[b] David mark said the senate is not aware that the president traveled or that he has returned.[/b] That the Senate does not work on rumours or misinformation but on written letters and being officially informed but since the president disregarded them they will also show no regards

It appears people like the part that says the senators are not aware that the president is back but IGNORED the part that says they were not aware that the president travelled.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Akanbiedu(m): 5:01pm On Feb 25, 2010
The senate declaration of Goodluck as Acting president is NULL and VOID. They should either impeach the president of remain silent forever.

Who is going to sign the new amendment to the constitution? They'd better not give it to Jonathan. We can't afford to create another constitutional crisis while trying to solve one.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Joe50(m): 5:34pm On Feb 25, 2010
it seems senate president brain is back to normal from turai manipulation, it remain bankole's brain. Anyway thank God, now that he said the trust lets watch and see the next episode.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by gidson12(m): 5:45pm On Feb 25, 2010
During during d yaradua disapearance saga, i made a comment about d loop holes in our faulty copy and paste constitution dat needs amendment, and someone challenged me saying dat d problem is not d constitution but rather its on its interpretation. Now we are begining 2 see some of d lapses on it. More loopholes are yet 2 b discovered.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by NosaHenry(m): 5:55pm On Feb 25, 2010
It is a great move by NASS to strenghten the constitution and reduce any potential to abuse power by any president. But the angle they did not look at is a scenario where the preisdent can jet out for 13 days and just breeze in and jet out again for another 13 day just to fulfill this constitutional requirement of not more than 14 days. They should equally add that the president can only go on a vacation once annually.

God bless Naiga
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Pharoh: 5:58pm On Feb 25, 2010
Bull Shi.t i am not impressed by this move, they do know what is right and they have not done that.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by bandely(m): 6:15pm On Feb 25, 2010
^^ You mean impeaching the President?
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Pharoh: 6:23pm On Feb 25, 2010
That should be one out of many commendable actions they could take about this situation.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by Nescoemmy(m): 6:26pm On Feb 25, 2010
I applaud the senators, this is
What they should have done since, thank God they are coming back to their senses & begining to understand & make use of the power vested on them judiciously,
Better late than never.
I just wonder what speaker-bankole & his colleagues are wating for or rather are scared of (they are a b*nch of FL*PS).i just hope they won't reamend it or even anul it remember this is 9ja anything is possible.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by EVERWIN(m): 6:44pm On Feb 25, 2010
I like the frontshow appearance from the senators when they arrive with their nice BMW, 4X4 and wearing their laces/suits.

But during the sitting it was sometimes difficult to follow becos the microphones were falling out or were switch off at once, but SP David M. arrange it perfectly.

The senate was very creative and serious to vote this bill.This was a realy long debate.

It was nice when they came one by one to talk. And at the voting they all said loudly yes or no.

Very nice impact this loudly voting system maybe something to do in our parlement.

Let see now how the bill is going to roll in the house of Reps.

It was also an important day for our party in Belgium, our man Van Rompuy is now the first President of Europe, but thats another topic.
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by stede(m): 6:45pm On Feb 25, 2010
wonders shall never end 4 9ja
Re: Constitution Ammended: Presidents & Governors Must Hand Over Before Vacations by ReachRich(m): 7:35pm On Feb 25, 2010
The bill when passed should also be binding on our LGA Chairmen who are also guilty of this sin of travelling outside the country without handing over to their deputy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Excerpts From Boko Haram: History, Ideas And Revolt By Comrade Shehu Sanni / FIRS Generates N5trn, Targets N5.3trn By Year-end / Eid-El-Fitr: Governor Ganduje Frees 294 Prisoners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.