Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,586 members, 7,958,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 02:56 AM

OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen (2905 Views)

President Buhari Moves To Proscribe Shiites After Protest That Turned Violent / FG To Proscribe Al-majiri, Others / South-east Governors Asked Muhammadu Buhari To Proscribe IPOB - Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by Naijiant: 10:33am On Sep 16, 2017
What should be banned is herding cattle by foot across the country. That is the root of the terrorism. https://www.naijiant.com/articles/fulani-herdsmen-freedom-movement/
Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by HiddenShadow: 10:33am On Sep 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Which UN labelled herdsmen a terrorist group? Herdsmen are businessmen engaged in the line of Cattle rearing.

Please, I need to see the UN resolution that proscribed cattle rearing

Poverty can make a man lie

I reject poverty in my life

Fulani herdsmen terrorists must be stopped

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by Pythondancef: 10:34am On Sep 16, 2017
I once respected this guy. I don't even take you seriously anymore. You have lost all credibility and I don't think your threads are worthy to be on nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by freeze001(f): 10:35am On Sep 16, 2017
APCsupporter:

I don't know why you guys love hypocrisy so much.

your leader ordered you to go on rampage if the court should order his arrest even though it is very clear that he has violated virtually all of his bail conditions

he created an army in the country and threatened to cut off the head of the president

He promised to nuke the country with the help of Trump, Putin and Israel and urged you to kill innocent Yoruba and Fulani people and you have started doing that already. over 3 mosques were burnt down by ipob yesterday and many Hausa people were killed.

The op is right. Ipob is fast becoming a terrorist organization that needs to be stopped in time before it becomes another monster like Boko Haram

Fast becoming or already is a terrorist organisation? Keep the narrative straight and while at it, find out the procedure for the proscription of a body or group and designation as a terrorist group. When u're done, consider whether the Army has the power to declare IPOB a terrorist group or committed one more illegality which y'all will happily condone because it's against something related to the Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by kendrick9(m): 10:35am On Sep 16, 2017
LordOfNaira:

There is a difference between Fulani militia (regarded as terrorists) and Fulani herdsmen under registered associations (who are businessmen).
are u in a coma or just recovering....have u not seen the damage and killings done by the Fulani s across the country? what more do u need before labelling them a terrorist group.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by kendrick9(m): 10:36am On Sep 16, 2017
LordOfNaira:

There is a difference between Fulani militia (regarded as terrorists) and Fulani herdsmen under registered associations (who are businessmen).
were u in a coma or just recovering....have u not seen the damage and killings done by the Fulani s across the country? what more do u need before labelling them a terrorist group.
Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:37am On Sep 16, 2017
freeze001:
E be like say APDA runs no too favour Tonye.. The sure cars of acceptance in Nigeria is veiled or outright antagonism of Igbos so why not?

He is quoting terrorism act but conveniently skips the procedure for declaring a group a terrorist one. Does the Army have the legal power to unilaterally declare any group as terrorists? Tonyebarcanista will support an outright illegality just to remain relevant. The same army in its statement on Thursday clearly pronounced that the group does not carry arms and then Friday declares it an armed terrorist group.

Op claims that MACBAN cannot be declared a terrorist group because the group does not support the murderous, terrorist activities of some of its members but their leader is on record explaining and justifying why they perpetrated attacks against innocent people yet that is not support.

Southerners that have sold their souls to the devil because of political gains will end up in the belly of the fish.
The Antiterrorism (Protection) Act vested power to declare a group as a terrorist organisation on the AGF. The question is has the AGF said anything contrary to the military? Do you have any evidence that the military did not seek advice of the AGF before declaring IPOB terrorists? When the government of Jonathan proscribed Boko Haram was it the then AGF that went to the media to do the announcement? Let us be properly guided

Please refer me to the statement where the Military tagged IPOB a nonviolent group
Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by Kokolet11: 10:37am On Sep 16, 2017
biafra giving some people sleepless night.mr man you and your useless govt can't stop biafra.mumu people

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by aolawale025: 10:38am On Sep 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Which UN labelled herdsmen a terrorist group? Herdsmen are businessmen engaged in the line of Cattle rearing.

Please, I need to see the UN resolution that proscribed cattle rearing

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/global-terrorism-index-nigerian-fulani-militants-named-as-fourth-deadliest-terror-group-in-world-a6739851.html
Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by kendrick9(m): 10:39am On Sep 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Who are the international bodies that termed people engaged in the business of cattle rearing as "terrorists"? Pls can you refer me to any?

And I hope you didn't skip this...
well if these killings are perpetuated by herdsman, what do u call them?

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by redness: 10:41am On Sep 16, 2017
The mockery on these guys is getting stale....Well i have seen where tears finally turns to joy...
Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by GreyLaw(m): 10:43am On Sep 16, 2017
Now I believe what people say about this Tonye guy. He's as two-faced as they come.

The guy is obviously a hypocrite who will be worse than all our leaders if he ever gets to power.

Shameless!

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by LordOfNaira: 10:44am On Sep 16, 2017
kendrick9:
are u in a coma or just recovering....have u not seen the damage and killings done by the Fulani s across the country? what more do u need before labelling them a terrorist group.

So, if people start killing on Cocoa farms, we should label all cocoa farmers as terrorists.

The problem with you people is that you don't want to understand that herdsmen are businessmen. We have herdsmen in all countries in the world, even in the US. In Nigeria and some African states, Fulanis are the prominent pastoralist that we have. If you ban the activities of Fulani herdsmen and label them a terrorist group, where would you get your cow meat from? Fulani herdsmen are businessmen. They are pastoralists.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by sleazy5(m): 10:44am On Sep 16, 2017
I decided not to comment on any issue bothering the proscribtion of the activities of IPOP as a terrorist group. However I am compelled to comment. You raised the issue of what constitutes terrorism under ther Anti Terrorism (Prevention Act) 2011, but you failed to bring to our notice How an organisation can be proscribed or labelled a terrorist organization. For the avoidance of doubt Section 2 (1) of the Act says WHERE TWO OR MORE PERSONS ASSOCIATE FOR THE PURPOSE OF OR WHERE AN ORGANIZATION ENGAGES IN -
(a) Participating or collaborating in terrorosm;
((b) Promoting encouraging or exhorting others to commit an act of terrorism; or
(c) setting up or pursuing acts of terrorism, THE JUDGE IN CHAMBERD MAY ON AN APPLICATION MADE BY THE ATTORNEY GENERAL, NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER OR INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE ON THE APPROVAL OF THE PRESIDENT DECLARE ANY ENTIRY TO VE A PROSCRIBED ORGANIZATION AND THE NOTICE SHALL BE PUBLISHED IN OFFICIAL GAZETTE.
Subsection (2) goes further to say such an order shall be published in the officual Gazette, two national newspapers and at such places as the Judge in chambers may decide.
Subsection (3) requires the application to be accompanied with relevant particulars as the Judge in chambers may specify.
These are the steps to take when prescribing an organization under the Anti Terrorism Prevention Act.
The question to ask is where these steps taken was there due process in doing a thing? If not, then...........
We are a country built on democratic principles lets try to ad her to those democratic principles and frown at illegalities

Please I am not holding brief for IPOB.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:44am On Sep 16, 2017
aolawale025:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/global-terrorism-index-nigerian-fulani-militants-named-as-fourth-deadliest-terror-group-in-world-a6739851.html
The group they called terrorist is "Fulani Militants" not Fulani Herdsmen... Unfortunately, there is no group in Nigeria that has called themselves "Fulani Militants" unlike IPOB and Boko Haram...

My topic clearly say "FULANI HERDSMEN" not Militants

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:46am On Sep 16, 2017
sleazy5:
I decided not to comment on any issue bothering the proscribtion of the activities of IPOP as a terrorist group. However I am compelled to comment. You raised the issue of what constitutes terrorism under ther Anti Terrorism (Prevention Act) 2011, but you failed to bring to our notice How an organisation can be proscribed or labelled a terrorist organization. For the avoidance of doubt Section 2 (1) of the Act says WHERE TWO OR MORE PERSONS ASSOCIATE FOR THE PURPOSE OF OR WHERE AN ORGANIZATION ENGAGES IN -
((b) Promoting encouraging or exhorting others to commit an act of terrorism; or
(c) setting up or pursuing acts of terrorism, THE JUDGE IN CHAMBERD MAY ON AN APPLICATION MADE BY THE ATTORNEY GENERAL, NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER OR INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE ON THE APPROVAL OF THE PRESIDENT DECLARE ANY ENTIRY TO VE A PROSCRIBED ORGANIZATION AND THE NOTICE SHALL BE PUBLISHED IN OFFICIAL GAZETTE.
Subsection (2) goes further to say such an order shall be published in the officual Gazette, two national newspapers and at such places as the Judge in chambers may decide.
Subsection (3) requires the application to be accompanied with relevant particulars as the Judge in chambers may specify.
These are the steps to take when prescribing an organization under the Anti Terrorism Prevention Act.
The question to ask is where these steps taken was there due process in doing a thing? If not, then...........
We are a country built on democratic principles lets try to ad her to those democratic principles and frown at illegalities

Did Jonathan approach any court when he labelled BH terrorists? Are you saying it was illegal? Why not go to court then
Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by letusbepieces: 10:47am On Sep 16, 2017
sleazy5:

TONYEBARCANISTA IS THE PRESIDENT OF NAIRALAND.

HE COMES HERE TO PLAY LOCAL CHAIRMAN POLITICS AND SOLICIT FOR RELEVANCE.

FROM ACN TO APC AND DEN PDP, APDA BACK TO APC.

WEN BUHARI STARTS TO FALL, HE WILL CHANGE SIDES AGAIN.

RIGHT NOW, HE THINKS BUHARI IS INVISIBLE, E GO SOON CLEAR FOR HIM EYE.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:49am On Sep 16, 2017
kendrick9:
well if these killings are perpetuated by herdsman, what do u call them?
So if some police officers come together to perpetuate evil, will you proscribe the Nigeria police?
Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by letusbepieces: 10:49am On Sep 16, 2017
AS FOR BUHARI, ILLEGALITY IS HIS NAME, BECAME PRESIDENT ILLEGALLY WITHOUT QUALIFICATION AND HAS CONTINUED WITH ILLEGALITY EVER SINCE.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by aolawale025: 10:49am On Sep 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

The group they called terrorist is "Fulani Militants" not Fulani Herdsmen... Unfortunately, there is no group in Nigeria that has called themselves "Fulani Militants" unlike IPOB and Boko Haram...

My topic clearly say "FULANI HERDSMEN" not Militants

The riddle have been solved. The fulani militias are masquerading as herdsmen. And ought to be declared a terrorist group in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by UduMgbo1: 10:50am On Sep 16, 2017
freeze001:
E be like say APDA runs no too favour Tonye.. The sure cars of acceptance in Nigeria is veiled or outright antagonism of Igbos so why not?

He is quoting terrorism act but conveniently skips the procedure for declaring a group a terrorist one. Does the Army have the legal power to unilaterally declare any group as terrorists? Tonyebarcanista will support an outright illegality just to remain relevant. The same army in its statement on Thursday clearly pronounced that the group does not carry arms and then Friday declares it an armed terrorist group.

Op claims that MACBAN cannot be declared a terrorist group because the group does not support the murderous, terrorist activities of some of its members but their leader is on record explaining and justifying why they perpetrated attacks against innocent people yet that is not support.

Southerners that have sold their souls to the devil because of political gains will end up in the belly of the fish.

i have nothing to say again grin

TonyeBarcanista is warming his way in to the world of apc and the fastest way to do it by hating igbos cheesy

the Tonye i know will do anything to be belle full like deactivating his barcanista moniker grin

lol

APDA no dey pay indeed grin

4 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by LordOfNaira: 10:50am On Sep 16, 2017
aolawale025:

Open that link and read it yourself. You people are too emotional.

Fulani herdsmen are pastoralists. They are businessmen. The group labeled as a terrorist group is the Fulani militia (called Fulani militant group in the link you provided) who are a threat even to the Fulani herdsmen.
Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by lordkush: 10:51am On Sep 16, 2017
DickDastardLION:
Lost Tonye toiling very hard to please and be allowed back into the mainstream. grin cheesy
as in eh confused apda chieftain grin
Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:51am On Sep 16, 2017
aolawale025:

The riddle have been solved. The fulani militias are masquerading as herdsmen. And ought to be declared a terrorist group in Nigeria.
If I masquerade as the son of your father and commit crime, should it then be attributed to your family?
Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by UduMgbo1: 10:53am On Sep 16, 2017
letusbepieces:

TONYEBARCANISTA IS THE PRESIDENT OF NAIRALAND.

HE COMES HERE TO PLAY LOCAL CHAIRMAN POLITICS AND SOLICIT FOR RELEVANCE.

FROM ACN TO APC AND DEN PDP, APDA BACK TO APC.

WEN BUHARI STARTS TO FALL, HE WILL CHANGE SIDES AGAIN.

RIGHT NOW, HE THINKS BUHARI IS INVISIBLE, E GO SOON CLEAR FOR HIM EYE.

lol the guy na confirmed bad luck to any party he enters
markafi nearly lost because of his bad luck
then thank God he left and markafi won
now APDA that was seen as mega party is now a child thing with TonyeBarcanista as shiaman yoots

4 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by UduMgbo1: 10:55am On Sep 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

So if some police officers come together to perpetuate evil, will you proscribe the Nigeria police?
fulani herdsmen are terrorists
Buhari is a terrorist
no one takes a loafer serious

grin

kiss the truth

5 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by UduMgbo1: 10:56am On Sep 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

If I masquerade as the son of your father and commit crime, should it then be attributed to your family?
fulani herdsmen are terrorists
kiss the truth

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by freeze001(f): 10:57am On Sep 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

The Antiterrorism (Protection) Act vested power to declare a group as a terrorist organisation on the AGF. The question is has the AGF said anything contrary to the military? Do you have any evidence that the military did not seek advice of the AGF before declaring IPOB terrorists? When the government of Jonathan proscribed Boko Haram was it the then AGF that went to the media to do the announcement? Let us be properly guided

Please refer me to the statement where the Military tagged IPOB a nonviolent group

Before a group is formally and legally declared as a terrorist organisation a judge must sign off on that order. It must be gazetted and all of these responsibilities rest on the AGF with the approval of the President. What we have is a state apparatus usurping the procedure of law and the role of the judiciary. What court order sanctioned this? The AGF cannot abdicate his responsibilities to the Army without an official communication to that effect. Where is it? Where is the official gazette by the FG declaring IPOB a terrorist organisation?

So, until the AGF says otherwise, the law can be shafted and portrayed in any favourable light? Are you for real?! The Army has no role to play in this process. Whatever Intel and evidence it has to that effect must be passed on to the AGF and ruled upon by the Court. Where is this document? So to you, the AGF will authorise the Army to do this with recourse to the Court?

https://www.nairaland.com/4058219/why-it-illegal-declare-ipob
Read this link and learn the proper procedures. You may hate IPOB but commending the Army in this dance of shame and desecration of law can only do even more harm. Do not condone illegality just because it is directed at a people u hate and despise.

4 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by sleazy5(m): 11:00am On Sep 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Did Jonathan approach any court when he labelled BH terrorists? Are you saying it was illegal? Why not go to court then

Bokoharam was labelled a terroris group by the International community. Secondly the activities of bokoharam gave rise to the Anti Terrorism Prevention Act.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by PS712: 11:05am On Sep 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
By TonyeBarcanista

Some people are against the labelling of Indigenous People of Biafra a terrorist group simply because the government is yet to do same for "suspected" Fulani herdsmen that have been causing havoc in parts of the country. But I disagree with such line of thought.

There is no need to be emotional about this subject, people should familiarise themselves with Nigeria Antiterrorism (Protection) Act to see what constitute terrorism, so as to properly appreciate the situation.

IPOB is a terrorist group when you consider the conducts and deeds of their leader Mr Nnamdi Kanu and the group itself and juxtapose them with what constitute terrorism according to the Act. Their conducts contravenes Section 2b and 2c of the Nigeria Antiterrorism (Protection) Act 2011.

That IPOB is classified a terrorist organisation does not in anyway justify the atrocities of the suspected herdsmen.

The problem with that of the suspected herdsmen is that the "herdsmen" is a term for people in the business of cattle rearing and you can't classify those in the line of business as terrorists, you can't even classify MACBAN/Miyetti Allah as such because the association itself does not "openly" support the evil act perpetrated by some of the members as alleged unlike IPOB. Some of them even argued that cattle rustlers not herdsmen are behind the evil attributed to them.

Also, you can't classify "Fulani" a terrorist group because Fulani is a tribe irrespective of the ethnic group of the alleged perpetrators of the heinous crime, same way Igbo wasn't classified terrorists but IPOB despite IPOB members being predominantly Igbo.

Personally, I classify suspected herdsmen that engage in killing of innocent Nigerians as "terrorists" masquerading as herdsmen but I refused to classify the herdsmen itself as terrorists as doing so would be unfair to law abiding people that are engaged in that line of business. Same way it is absolutely wrong for anybody to credit the irresponsible deeds of IPOB group to Igbo tribe or the entire Biafra apologists- we all know that there are thousands of Biafra apologists that doesn't subscribe to the IPOB ideology and it will be of great disservice to humanity and unfair to them to rope them in for what they neither subscribed to nor encouraged.

This is not a matter of sentiment let us be guided and embrace peaceful coexistence and even if "we" want out, there are legitimate and proper route to follow because self determination is the right of all.

May God Bless Us All And Bless Nigeria

I commend your interest and effort in the Nigerian project.
But there's this question: Did the declaration by the military follow due process of proscribtion of an organization by the Terrorism Prevention Act (2011) amended 2013 as terrorist organization?
If you do not have the TPA, Google it, download and read sections 1 and 2.
I belong to those that want a United, indivisible and progressive Nigeria and that is why I hold the opinion that caution should be made in handling the IPOB issue, lest we end up with the BH experience of improper and rash early handling.
About the fulani militia, the TPA is clear on who and what constitute terrorist and terrorism. Even the global terrorism index identified the fulani militia as terrorists, among top five deadliest (2015 report).
Playing politics with national security issues will pull us all down!

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: Why It Is Improper To Proscribe Fulani Herdsmen by wristbangle: 11:05am On Sep 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
Can you read?

You should know he is still nursing the pains of the IPOB ban.

However, I concur with your write - up as I am expecting the FG to also decisively deal with the murderous fulani herdsmen. Not all the herdsmen are wicked but the wicked ones among must be brought to justice.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Vaccine: Update From Nnewi And The Environs / Eastern Railway Controversy: β€˜you Can’t Be More Igbo Than I’ – Amaechi Dares / Governor Obaseki Caught Sleeping Again (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.