Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,584 members, 7,955,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:01 PM

I Just Cut The Cord With My Father - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Just Cut The Cord With My Father (39744 Views)

Advise For A Woman Whose Husband Is Suffering From A Spinal Cord Injury / My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! / I Found My Father After 24 Years, But... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Nobody: 3:29am On Sep 19, 2017
Faseyi17:
Bro, am also in d same situation. He even told me that if I don't attend deeper life in skul dat he ll stop paying my skul fees and given me pocket money... . I Call him and told him point blank dat no problem. Dat i don join worker 4 redeem church he was not even happy slf. I jxt stop talking to him. now my mum pay all d moni nd she said make i jxt move closer to God.
face life squarely ...don't disappoint yourself or ur mother and he will be Ur best friend in future.

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Nobody: 3:35am On Sep 19, 2017
DarkRebel69:
We attach too much importance to family and family members. Family is not the strongest unit or the most important thing in life, or any of those many aphoristic statements we have coined in honour of it. Those aphorisms are just one of those many lies we tell ourselves–lies which from constant repetition often is taken as a universal truth. Wasn't it Lenin who said a lie told often enough eventually becomes the truth?

Mind you, we don't get to choose our families (it's a biological luck of the draw), but we are sentiently and actively involved in the selection process of our friends. And trust me, a good and loyal friend that you've handpicked by yourself is worth more than a bad family that you did not choose.

Parents are not gods, and they don't own their childrens. It's worse in Africa when certain parents think they can lord it over their children even into adulthood–dictating when and what sort of man or woman they should marry, the time they should have kids (even when couples decide to put off childbearing), and so on and so forth. We should also stop guilting children with the "Honor thy father and mother" shibboleth even at moments when parents are being irrational in their demands. It's psychological vivisection and emotional manipulation and nothing more.

If your father chooses to be irrational with his scripturalism and religious fanaticism, you are within your rights to cut ties with him, especially if you have warned him to desist from such and yet he insists on becoming a thorn in your flesh. I wouldn't want such a disease to pollute the minds of my children anyway.

Just two tablets of postinor after sex would have prevented you from typing this senseless piece you dropped here.

1 Like

Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by uso84: 3:37am On Sep 19, 2017
Beverly1:
yea I could have just lied but that's not my thing.... didn't even come to my head.....
u shouldn't lie please. I beg u in God,s name, call ur father asap n make peace with him. Follow him gently n wit wisdom.he means really well 4 u. I wish my father is still alive n aski,g men there kinds of questions
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by toprealman: 4:22am On Sep 19, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

I was born into Catholic faith and practice till I was 12 and I enjoyed it. My parent became deeper life member while we were living apart and now a pastor in that church. I re-united with them when I was 12 and since then I've been attending the church with them and still attend Catholic occasionally....I love the preaching from the founder of deeper life as he preaches the bitter truth but I believe most other young pastor see d church "doctrine" as commandment and so must be kept 100%.....the founder of the church addressed this issue several times but NO.

18 years on since we re-united, I'm a graduate, married and living abroad but my father still forcing his believe and doctrine on me. I considered myself spiritual but not so religious. I connect with my God easily but not a 3G church guy.

He made me and my siblings antisocial and introverted simply because he believed we shouldn't be involved in any social activities even sports. I still remember being beaten for playing soccer, he believes we would be influenced badly. Watching TV was a crime especially movies.

Fast forward to yesterday he rang my wife to check on us but the first question he asked was if we attend to church. I told him it's been raining and temperature was really low....then he started lamenting asking if I won't go to work if it wasn't Sunday,complaining about the country where I can't worship God...then to get me more exasperated he asked and insisted I tell him how many time I've been to church lately and how many times I've read d bible....I told him we've been attending but he insisted on a number.

This got me so mad that I stood up for myself under a heavy breathe as I do not want to disrespect him or hangup on him.I told him I do not appreciate being asked questions like a 10 yrs old boy and at my age I should know how to live my life and what's best for me.....he got angry and said goodbye and I guess he was still on d phone but I didn't know...I just hang up.....Now I've block him from reaching me ... planning to change my numbers.....but not any financial support. Only cutting all communication with him but not with my siblings as they mean more to me and I wanna see them through as much as God help me...

Please is this not an over reaction because I loved him as he's a very responsible man who puts the family first and strived to make us who we are. But we do not av a close relationship because of his believe even though he's been forcing it.
He is your dad bro.... calm down. Take charge of your discussions with him onwards. Crawl out of your shell....man up!
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by teemanbastos(m): 8:41am On Sep 19, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:

I amazed at the fact that you can use "cut the ties" & "Spirit of God" in the same paragraph.

U are conveniently lying to your parents in your bid to go to a church that is pleasing to your mind.

SMH

your case is different.
Alright... please leave the church aspect out, the 'my case is different' is absolutely unnecessary.
Cut the ties as i meant is jes like 'giving them a break' and not permanent cutting-edge.
Going to a church that pleases my mind? Oh No! I attend LFC services because I know what I have gained since i started fellowshiping with them.
Moreso... I don't Lie that I attend services, 7am to 9am is the time in LFC, I fellowship with DL afterwards and still attend the MBS services.
Didn't go into much details last night because of the time.
Thank You!
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by marcopollo(m): 10:33am On Sep 19, 2017
DIKEnaWAR:
Deeper life, watchman, Chosen etc etc are overflowing with extremists. If you leave them, they will start Christian Jihad on those whose ways don't align with theirs.

The man is your father. Handle him with love. How do you do that. He deserves to be lied to, big time. Tell him that you sleep in church so he can leave you alone. Thank God you are not even in Nigeria.

Who frequents churches these days if not some desperados for quick wealth and husband.

Yea I said it! Come for me!!
You,re right.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by oshorstan(m): 10:47am On Sep 19, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

I was born into Catholic faith and practice till I was 12 and I enjoyed it. My parent became deeper life member while we were living apart and now a pastor in that church. I re-united with them when I was 12 and since then I've been attending the church with them and still attend Catholic occasionally....I love the preaching from the founder of deeper life as he preaches the bitter truth but I believe most other young pastor see d church "doctrine" as commandment and so must be kept 100%.....the founder of the church addressed this issue several times but NO.

18 years on since we re-united, I'm a graduate, married and living abroad but my father still forcing his believe and doctrine on me. I considered myself spiritual but not so religious. I connect with my God easily but not a 3G church guy.

He made me and my siblings antisocial and introverted simply because he believed we shouldn't be involved in any social activities even sports. I still remember being beaten for playing soccer, he believes we would be influenced badly. Watching TV was a crime especially movies.

Fast forward to yesterday he rang my wife to check on us but the first question he asked was if we attend to church. I told him it's been raining and temperature was really low....then he started lamenting asking if I won't go to work if it wasn't Sunday,complaining about the country where I can't worship God...then to get me more exasperated he asked and insisted I tell him how many time I've been to church lately and how many times I've read d bible....I told him we've been attending but he insisted on a number.

This got me so mad that I stood up for myself under a heavy breathe as I do not want to disrespect him or hangup on him.I told him I do not appreciate being asked questions like a 10 yrs old boy and at my age I should know how to live my life and what's best for me.....he got angry and said goodbye and I guess he was still on d phone but I didn't know...I just hang up.....Now I've block him from reaching me ... planning to change my numbers.....but not any financial support. Only cutting all communication with him but not with my siblings as they mean more to me and I wanna see them through as much as God help me...

Please is this not an over reaction because I loved him as he's a very responsible man who puts the family first and strived to make us who we are. But we do not av a close relationship because of his believe even though he's been forcing it.

proverbs 20;20 is very viable. pls forgive him, i understand how our fadas can be, i am a victim of one
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by pastorsmiling(m): 11:04am On Sep 19, 2017
I am very sorry for speaking to you that way my brother, you are very correct God is merciful and his not harsh but my dear brother
Our enemy the devil is not at rest in our matter at all, hes looking for small space to drag people with him to hell fire and i pray you and i will not be part of that in Jesus name don't mind me and your father for been too spiritually sensitive we are servant of God so we want the best for our children.
Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

My observation is that you love God but let it be with all your heart with all your mind and with all your soul so that anytime issue like this come up again you will discover it will never hurt you, when you love God sincerely nothing hurt i'm sorry if i have hurt with my harsh words
Believe me my brother i see you working for God in the nearest future so that you can teach people not to force doctrine on their children or people around them.
May God help you in Jesus name no weapon fashion against you shall prosper i rebuke every evil imagination against your life and family
David said as for me and my house we shall serve God, that will be your own portion too in Jesus name
Please i will like you to read ROMANS 8 meditate on it and ask God question about what happened, develop close relationship with God.
Though i don't know you but i will be praying for you from now on i see you as one of the end time army.
Sorry once again my bro i understand how you feel but try and put yourself in your father's shoe you will understand him better your father love God and you too can witness it so try and develop better approach to deal with spiritual matter in your life
Don't forget your wife is watching your reaction too on this matter do not let anything comes in between you and your God and lovely father

Bro always remember to go to God first in any issue in your life not internet, proof your love for God most especially when it has to do with spiritual matters.
Thank you and God bless you always.

Pst. Smiling
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by murmee: 4:32pm On Sep 19, 2017
Zeze06:
cry

I understand this feeling... embarassed, if your father is old, please be careful not to hurt him, just follow him gently, you can even lie sometimes, just so you don't break his heart...

Elderly people sometimes do take things a little too seriously..
I would give anything to have my dad here to ask me any kind of questions in this world...
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by loomer: 7:32pm On Sep 19, 2017
NoToPile:
grin grin

Bros you cut ties with your father because of this, you are even in another country so why are you even bothering yourself.

Going to church on Sunday is not a religious doctrine in my opinion, a lot of Nigerian parents do that, it may be to the extreme me but in his mind he is looking out for your spiritual well-being.He's just doing what an average Nigerian pastor parent would do.Its important to him (maybe not to you) that's why he's asking.

Will he use cane to flog you if you don't go to church -NO . so why breaking ties with him because he asked for the number of times you attended, you either answer or laugh over it.

It doesn't make much sense to cut communication with him because of this, he's still your father you can always have your way around him and ignore some of those things. You are not even in naija so why the huffing and puffing.

People have worse parents but still its not advisable to cut them off, you deal with them in wisdom.

A lot of Nigerian parents do things that piss their married children off but you deal with them with wisdom.
Elderly people are to be treated wisely don't hurt him abeg.

Its an irrelevant issue

I tire, the guy na the biggest mumu I don see jare. If abroad no fit make u get sense u no go get.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 19, 2017
loomer:

I tire, the guy na the biggest mumu I don see jare. If abroad no fit make u get sense u no go get.

and u think u have any sense with your post....no exposed human being in a develop world abuses social media the way u guys do....it shows how retarded and backward u are....u can't progress with such hatred and bitter desperate soul of urs....if there's nothing meaningful u can do with Ur free megabytes pls watch YouTube.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by loomer: 9:25pm On Sep 19, 2017
Beverly1:
and u think u have any sense with your post....no exposed human being in a develop world abuses social media the way u guys do....it shows how retarded and backward u are....u can't progress with such hatred and bitter desperate soul of urs....if there's nothing meaningful u can do with Ur free megabytes pls watch YouTube.

Ode u think say na only u abroad?
Ur papa ask u when last u go church, u dey provoke and u call ur self adult.
And wetin concern hatred and the thing I been post?
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by highque: 9:33am On Sep 20, 2017
Beverly1:
Hi fellow Nlanders

Your action to your Daddy actually reflects your state of spiritualism you claim to be. I pity you, if the Old man is the one that first call after you and not you, (for whatever reason(s) it might be), then, prepare for the worse in future.
Continue to listen to some slowpoke crappy ones on NL, it is only that they would not be there when you are paying the heavy price.
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by armyofone(m): 8:18pm On Sep 20, 2017
If he has benefitted you financially in the past, be patient with him. If he hasn't played major or any financial role in your life - meaning you have been on your own all the while, you are better off without additional stress.
Too much sentiments in Nigeria!!!
Re: I Just Cut The Cord With My Father by ArcToyin(m): 11:04am On Oct 11, 2017
NoToPile:
grin grin

Bros you cut ties with your father because of this, you are even in another country so why are you even bothering yourself.

Going to church on Sunday is not a religious doctrine in my opinion, a lot of Nigerian parents do that, it may be to the extreme me but in his mind he is looking out for your spiritual well-being.He's just doing what an average Nigerian pastor parent would do.Its important to him (maybe not to you) that's why he's asking.

Will he use cane to flog you if you don't go to church -NO . so why breaking ties with him because he asked for the number of times you attended, you either answer or laugh over it.

It doesn't make much sense to cut communication with him because of this, he's still your father you can always have your way around him and ignore some of those things. You are not even in naija so why the huffing and puffing.

People have worse parents but still its not advisable to cut them off, you deal with them in wisdom.

A lot of Nigerian parents do things that piss their married children off but you deal with them with wisdom.
Elderly people are to be treated wisely don't hurt him abeg.

Its an irrelevant issue
Well said. Kudos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Girl's Crazy Cravings / Photo: Can This Kind Of Relationship Exist Again In This World? / Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.